Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: My kingdom fror a Caldera  (Read 2284 times)

OutofTimeDad

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
My kingdom fror a Caldera
« on: April 21, 2017, 03:31:25 am »

After a break of several years and 2 children, I want to come back to the fortress.  My problem is simple - before I left, I had a map with a lovely caldera, river, all the metals and flux without an aquifer.  It was the *perfect* map.  I never got to play it.  I was going to build a space elevator full of lava... and now I never will.  Unless you guys can help.

I desperately want a volcanic map that's actually nice.  I've generated 4 or 5 complete large worlds, and not found anything that's easy.  Sure, there's a volcano in ice.  That's useless to me, I want something I can survive.   So my request is - does anyone have a nice map with a really pleasant volcano to play with?  If so, would you be so kind as to provide it as a download?  Something that a relative newbie can work with?    (Last time I played vampires weren't a thing,  so I count myself as new.)

My thanks in advance
Someone who really shouldn't be asking for this. 

OutofTimeDad

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Re: My kingdom fror a Caldera
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2017, 03:57:14 am »

And now I've seen the WorldGen thread.  If someone can, please delete this - there's a thread that (almost) certainly has what I'm looking for!

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
  • You know me. What do I know?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2017, 04:27:48 am »

Someone seems to have made a world with the feature that you're looking for here.

Afraid he hasn't put the world on DFFD, but you can enter in the seed manually if it's that important to you. Might be better than the WorldGen thread if you want to play on the latest DF version.
One wheel short of a wagon

Ironfang

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats adopting dwarves isn't annoying, it's realism
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2017, 06:30:09 am »

I have an embark with flux, a volcano, an a weird obsidian tower filled with magma.
Human King: "So, how was your travel to dwarven lands?"
Human Diplomat: "Never piss off the dwarves, they have an army of hydras"

Dwarf Cook: "Another baby hydra meat roast coming up!"

OutofTimeDad

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2017, 06:36:04 am »

I have an embark with flux, a volcano, an a weird obsidian tower filled with magma.

Is it shareable?

vanatteveldt

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2017, 07:33:31 am »

After a break of several years and 2 children, I want to come back to the fortress.

Urist McDad has given birth to a boy!
Urist McDad cancels play, seeking infant
Urist McDad cancels play, cleaning diaper * 128
Urist McDad has given birth to a girl!
Urist McDad cancels play, seeking infant
Urist McDad cancels play, cleaning diaper * 128

Urist McDad is distracted by inability to worship Armok

I never got to play it.  I was going to build a space elevator full of lava... and now I never will.  Unless you guys can help.

Urist McDad has a fey mood!
Urist McDad has claimed a workstation
... muttering ... glowing lakes ... iron ... flux ... glowing lake ...

Better start building a wall around this fellow :)

Ironfang

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2017, 08:07:03 am »

Is it shareable?

Um, I guess? I haven't really shared a fort before, and it will take me until the 23rd before I could try to share it. I have an embark on it, but I just did a geological survey of the stone. But the standing tube is a cool thing, so I have tried to have minimal impact on that world so I can share the rare beauty with all.

It is a natural wonder, precious and needing protection.

In order to allow the maximum amount of goblin broiling!

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2017, 11:26:34 am »

There are a few alternative ways to share the embark:
- The save, as it stands.
- No DFHack: Copy the save, retire or abandon the fortress in the COPY. Load the copy in Legends Mode, export the world gen parameters and state which OS, DF version and 32/64 bit you're using (as the results aren't the same across all versions, in particular when the first generation failed). Share the resulting file and explain where the embark is.
- With DFHack: Start the fortress, save, use the DFHack command open-legends, export the file, kill DF (as opening legends mode can corrupt a subsequent save if exited and play is resumed). Does the same as above but with less work.
- Urist McNiceGuy: Either of the two alternatives above, but instead of sharing the data, generate the world and share the save folder after generation but before embark. Should ensure the world is the same (there have been bugs in the past where using the same seeds on the same computer haven't given the same result).

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2017, 12:48:23 pm »

Someone seems to have made a world with the feature that you're looking for here.

Afraid he hasn't put the world on DFFD, but you can enter in the seed manually if it's that important to you. Might be better than the WorldGen thread if you want to play on the latest DF version.

I could put it on DFFD, if you need.

I also added the seed to the worldgen thread. The embark is perfectly flat with a farmable biome, trees, flux, iron and gold, etc etc.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

OutofTimeDad

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2017, 02:48:13 pm »

I also added the seed to the worldgen thread. The embark is perfectly flat with a farmable biome, trees, flux, iron and gold, etc etc.

I've just tried - crashes out on my machine.  No error, just dies.  Will try on 64 bit, but...

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 21, 2017, 02:50:38 pm »

I've just tried - crashes out on my machine.  No error, just dies.  Will try on 64 bit, but...

Wait, what crashed? Manually entering the seed?
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 21, 2017, 02:58:17 pm »

World gen isn't quite stable, so you may want to try again a couple of times (on each architecture) before giving up.

OutofTimeDad

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 21, 2017, 03:14:52 pm »

What crashed?  DF, about 30 seconds into generation.  This was repeated 3 times, and appeared to be at the same point in each.  World gen completed in the 64bit version... but was nothing like as described.

OutofTimeDad

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 21, 2017, 03:15:41 pm »

Urist McDad has a fey mood!
Urist McDad has claimed a workstation
... muttering ... glowing lakes ... iron ... flux ... glowing lake ...

Better start building a wall around this fellow :)
Stop looking at me like that!

Ironfang

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 21, 2017, 04:38:39 pm »

Oh, another tip.

I have had two volcanoes with flux stone (or more) I did so by genning smaller worlds. Smaller worlds will have almost as many volcanoes as larger ones. But they take up less space and gen faster.

Pages: [1] 2