Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: job starts after im scheduled to leave, advice  (Read 1213 times)

Urist_McUrist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
job starts after im scheduled to leave, advice
« on: April 14, 2017, 03:42:49 pm »

H3llo fellow urists, i want some opinions on something to be sure im not out of line. I work a shift at work from 7-9, however 99% of my duties can not even be started until 9. Because im a hard worker and efficient im usually done by 9:30. But now they are trying to add even moreduties and i know i will never ever leave until 10 at the earliest now. Am i in the wrong to say im either going to be scheduled til 10, or im not going to be doing the extra work?
I am an angry person. It's true. Anti-social misanthrope with a complete lack of an ability to tolerate stupidity. So if you say something stupid to me, or try and insinuate I must just be misunderstanding or doing something wrong, I will probably yell at you. Always take me at my word when I explain something. I'm not trying to be rude, I'm simply being honest, in a world where the average intellect is potato. Unhelpful patronizing "help", deserves a snappy retort. Grow some thicker skin.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
Re: job starts after im scheduled to leave, advice
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2017, 05:17:54 pm »

I don't think you're wrong. Hours that aren't paid shouldn't be worked. You really shouldn't let this kind of abuse stand. That being said, I'm unaware as to the legal rights of workers where you live, what sort of contract you have, and of your personal situation. Eg: If push comes to shove and your contract is terminated, can you afford to be unemployed until you find something else?

If yes: go for it.

If no: search for something better first, then leave.
There's two kinds of performance reviews: the one you make they don't read, the one they make whilst they sharpen their daggers
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

kilakan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2017, 05:41:45 pm »

yeah where I live at least unpaid overtime is strictly illegal unless you signed some really bad working contract and even then, it`s supposed to be representative of you not doing actually working at all for parts of the time you were scheduled for.  (for example, you have to paint for 8 hours in the day to get paid for 8 hours, but when you get there in the morning there`s no supplies so you go and take a two hour unpaid break and then stay two hours later in the evening.)

But yeah if illegal:say no and don`t do it, you aren`t working to be a nice guy, you are working for your own gain. 
If legal:Find some wheres else to work asap that won`t do that sort of thing to you.
Nom nom nom

Urist_McUrist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2017, 05:57:51 pm »

I am not clocking out, just working past scheduled times guaranteed, regardless of business. So i am being paid
I am an angry person. It's true. Anti-social misanthrope with a complete lack of an ability to tolerate stupidity. So if you say something stupid to me, or try and insinuate I must just be misunderstanding or doing something wrong, I will probably yell at you. Always take me at my word when I explain something. I'm not trying to be rude, I'm simply being honest, in a world where the average intellect is potato. Unhelpful patronizing "help", deserves a snappy retort. Grow some thicker skin.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2017, 06:01:06 pm »

So you're being paid for the extra hours?

I'd consider making a stand nonetheless. Doing overtime by default can be exahusting
There's two kinds of performance reviews: the one you make they don't read, the one they make whilst they sharpen their daggers
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Urist_McUrist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2017, 06:04:05 pm »

Correct, im paid by the timeclock not the schedule. But my job schedule ends when the work actually begins. And being over my scheduled time looks bad on my part for labor costs. Its not about not wanting to do the work or making sure im paid, its about not having the books cooked on my shift

Urist_McUrist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2017, 06:04:47 pm »

And its not even overtime, its just time i have to work im not scheduled for, regular pay

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2017, 06:15:57 pm »

A rational manager would agree that it would be benificial to both sides to change your schedule from 7-9 to 9-11, or 8 to 10?
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Urist_McUrist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2017, 06:18:15 pm »

Thats what i think, it looks better, is better, for everyone, if my schedule reflects the job worked. But then the managers poor performance will be more apparent instead of it just looking like i suck and am always slow and late

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2017, 08:59:44 pm »

Well this seems like a problem.
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

oldmansutton

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 12, 2017, 03:23:58 pm »

Is the work available after you're scheduled, due to somebody else not pulling their weight?  Like, Bob is supposed to have the stuff you need done at 7, but it's not?

If so, I'd say talk to your manager about it. 

If Bob is your manager, talk to HR. 

Let them know that you're being held back, and forced to work past your scheduled time due to this.  It's also possible "Bob" is having some of the same difficulties you are, further up the line.  Regardless, I'd hope HR was made aware of the situation, as it's their job to look out for you.
I suggest using kilokittens. As cats are 10X the volume of kittens. That way, 50 cats would be .5 kilokittens.

100 cats would be 1 kilokitten.