Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: New Adventurer species: Meleemecha?  (Read 703 times)

Cyberkirby

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
New Adventurer species: Meleemecha?
« on: April 21, 2017, 11:38:47 am »

Wasn't sure if there was a thread dedicted to modded/new critters, but I had an idea for a new weapon of mass destruction race: humanoid robots made of aluminum with Mega Man-esque arm cannons and fists strong enough to bust holes through Mega Beasts. They'd be mostly docile- though utterly incapable of understanding living thoughts/emotions, and they'd have numerous offensive options at their disposal. Long range cryokinetic beams, electrical shocks, flamethrowers, the works.

The kicker? All these attacks require energy. If one doesn't manage their stamina wisely, they'll find themselvws wide open for a Bronze Colossi to fist them. (Now I don't know if there's a mod/method to ahowing exactly how much stamina you have, but it would be nice.)

I've never made a creature from scratch, so it would be awesome if someone could give me a place to start... but even just giving me some general tips are also perfect!

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
Re: New Adventurer species: Meleemecha?
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2017, 12:46:23 pm »

I guess you could create an interaction that is directed at oneself that causes drowsiness/sleepiness?

But I don't think you could tie it into every use of a flamethrower, unless maybe with DFhack.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

bloop_bleep

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2017, 02:55:06 pm »

That sort of thing is kinda implemented already in vanilla creatures -- with exhaustion levels. Perhaps there's a way to make some attacks cause a lot of exhaustion.
Quote from: KittyTac
The closest thing Bay12 has to a flamewar is an argument over philosophy that slowly transitioned to an argument about quantum mechanics.
Quote from: thefriendlyhacker
The trick is to only make predictions semi-seriously.  That way, I don't have a 98% failure rate. I have a 98% sarcasm rate.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2017, 03:27:52 pm »

Yeah but interactions as a rule do not affect exhaustion.

Only thing I can think of is a syndrome, but I don't think you can have one part of a syndrome affect you while the rest affects your target?

The rest of it is easy enough, you can create custom superdense materials/attacks that will just result in punching things' limbs clean off while also launching then 50ft through the air.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."

Cyberkirby

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2017, 11:58:25 pm »

That sort of thing is kinda implemented already in vanilla creatures -- with exhaustion levels. Perhaps there's a way to make some attacks cause a lot of exhaustion.

I should've specified that was what I was getting at. Also, it would be awesome to have a dedicated "stamina bar" instead of the "tired" icon...

IndigoFenix

• Bay Watcher
  • All things die, but nothing dies forever.
    • View Profile
    • Boundworlds: A Browser-Based Multiverse Creation and Exploration Game
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2017, 04:40:41 am »

Stamina drain from attacks are fixed, but movement exhaustion is not.  So just give them a low endurance stat and highly efficient gaits, and attacks will drain them fast.

You can make attacks stronger than they should be by increasing the attack velocity modifier.

However, this only applies to melee attacks.  Interactions never drain stamina unfortunately.  You could give them gas attacks that have a cumulative weakening effect on themselves, since gas attacks generally hit the user as much as the target this will effectively make them weaker as they use the attack more.

Cyberkirby

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2017, 12:40:21 am »

Stamina drain from attacks are fixed, but movement exhaustion is not.  So just give them a low endurance stat and highly efficient gaits, and attacks will drain them fast.

You can make attacks stronger than they should be by increasing the attack velocity modifier.

However, this only applies to melee attacks.  Interactions never drain stamina unfortunately.  You could give them gas attacks that have a cumulative weakening effect on themselves, since gas attacks generally hit the user as much as the target this will effectively make them weaker as they use the attack more.

Any chance you could give me a place to start with that? I'm still a little baby when it comes to modding these things...

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2017, 05:47:40 pm »

You could handle it with transformations.

A creature could have to transform in order to use its superpowers or whatever you want them to have. You could make some kind of constant-use self-targeted interaction that slowly causes drowsiness or whatnot. Give it a very long cooldown so that it doesn't spam.

The trick being that you can only stay in that form for so long before you pass out mid-combat and probably die.

Or hey, make it a stacking interaction. That way you could attach messages of some kind to each "stage" of impending tiredness. "You begin to feel tired" turns to "you begin to feel very tired" and eventually you just lose consciousness.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2017, 05:53:53 pm by Dunamisdeos »