Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 41

Author Topic: Bellum Aeternus: Novae Fabula [IC Thread] Chapter I: A Disturbed Peace  (Read 19464 times)

IamanElfCollaborator

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Shipper God and Freyjapiller
    • View Profile

Bellum Aeternus: Novae Fabula
0: Harmony
Arc I: A Disturbed Peace
I: A Disturbed Peace

« Last Edit: April 21, 2017, 02:09:33 pm by IamanElfCollaborator »

IamanElfCollaborator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Chapter 0: Harmony
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2017, 01:14:38 pm »

"Heat and cold, shadow and light, sword and shield, lightning and thunder. Always in tandem. Always together. Never one...."

"....without the other."

".....to do this is folly. We are twain, Discord and Harmony. The world cannot thrive without balance."

"What a fool you are, to think balance remains between Discord and Harmony. There has been disquiet already. You know what comes."

A brief pause, as the two presences faced each other, in a world above worlds, beyond perception and beyond knowing. One presence, golden and serene, the very seeming of Harmony, the other its antithesis, a formless mass of primordial nothing.

"No."

"I can make this right. I can fix this. Please, do not stop me."

The golden presence shied away, but the formlessness of her invader enshrouded her.

"N-no. Please. Do not do this. You know this is not-"

"I know nothing anymore, Harmony. All I know is that this balance cannot remain. Not if I am to achieve what I wish."

"There are better ways. Always better-"

"Not for what I desire."

The formlessness surrounded the golden presence, attempting to swallow her within itself. A golden flash, and then nothing more.

Chapter End
« Last Edit: April 21, 2017, 02:06:30 pm by IamanElfCollaborator »

IamanElfCollaborator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Bellum Aeternus: Novae Fabula [IC Thread]
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2017, 02:05:49 pm »

The Halls of Harmony
The last thing you remember is a bright flash of golden light. Wherever you were, whoever you are, whenever you were, it doesn't matter. The last thing that you saw was a golden flash of light, and then you knew nothing.

As you awaken, you awaken upon a large marble dais. Specifically, a large, ornate marble dais, with patterns of a beautiful lady in white painted across the floor. Dilapidated pillars line the dais, side by side, three on each side, as the realization hits you that this place is some sort of temple. Or was; it doesn't look like one anymore. The one thing that seems unusual is the giant pair of ivory doors, lined with gold, with two door knockers in the shape of lion's heads mounted on it. The doors do not seem to lead anywhere in particular; they stand just to the end of the dais, with no visible destination.

A dirt path leads to a staircase at the bottom of the dais, streaming from a nearby town, which appears to be nothing more than a collection of small cottages and shacks. Tiny chimneys pump small plumes of smoke into the air above the village. A strong presence seems to exude from the door, regal and warm, more akin to a queen than a mother.

It is midday. The sun is high in the sky. The air is quiet, and the atmosphere peaceful.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2017, 02:09:22 pm by IamanElfCollaborator »

Powder Miner

• Bay Watcher
  • this avatar is years irrelevant again oh god oh f-
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2017, 02:16:07 pm »

Master Sergeant Connor "Florida" Wheeler of the Extraterrestrial Combat Unit blinked his eyes open to stare at a blue sky, the polymer-covered metal grip of his old laser sniper rifle in his hands, familiarity making it comfortable. For a couple of seconds he just laid there, enjoying the feeling of the sun, and the feeling of his gun in his hands, before he blinked again. Wait, sun...? Wasn't he on a night operation, in Iraq...?

The man (lean, muscular, tanned and blonde, wearing white fatigues and red armor plates) immediately rolled onto his back and sat up, hoisting his rifle into the ready position in case he was under attack... and lowered it, looking around. "Well... this definitely isn't Iraq." Right, there had been a golden flash... and now he was somewhere completely unfamiliar to him. At least the people around him didn't look hostile (and indeed, looked to be in the same position), even if they did look pretty strange. "...so where is it?"

Twinwolf

• Bay Watcher
  • Probably hanging around Forum Games and Roleplay
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2017, 02:22:47 pm »

Sera was somewhat irritated to be interrupted. It had been morning for her when the flash came. She'd barely woken up and had been sipping at some coffee when suddenly, she was in some temple or something. It was quite a beautiful temple, she had to admit, but still. The magic stuff couldn't have waited for her to wake up a bit first? She found she still had her coffee. Oh, nice of the mysterious force that brought her here. The last one hadn't been so polite. She took a sip.

She looks around, seeing the highly disparate group around her. A few soldier-looking guys, a guy out of medieval Japan, a non-medieval Japanese woman, someone in one of those anime school uniforms, a giant metal dude, an outright knight, a black-cloaked woman, and some guy who looked normal besides his hair. Odd bunch.

As one of the soldiers jumps to his feet, Sera just sighs and cleans her glasses. "Can't say I know." she says to the man. "I'm sure we're going to be finding out within the next thirty minutes."
« Last Edit: April 21, 2017, 02:31:51 pm by Twinwolf »
Sigtext!
Of course, Twin is neither man nor woman but an unholy eldritch abomination like every other Bay12er. The difference is they hide it better.
Quote from: Caellath on IRC
<Caellath>: Twinwolf, your thirst for blood has been noted.

Chevaleresse

• Bay Watcher
  • A knight, returned from a journey weary and long
    • View Profile
    • Patreon

Damn it. What was even happening now? The Grim Reaper was so close . . . If he caught the bastard, he could live on the bounty for the rest of his natural life and then some. "What, this guy can teleport people around now?" And teleportation shouldn't have knocked him out, plus it was easier to kill someone than properly teleport them.

Movement caught his eye; armored man, rifle, firearm. He reflexively projected a bulletproof riot shield as he brought his arm into a defensive position, just in time to see the man lower the weapon. The shield shimmered and vanished as he dropped the arm back to his side. "Iraq? I'd hope this wasn't Iraq, otherwise we'd be too busy expiring to talk."
GM of Trespassers V2.
I'm writing a science fantasy story. Mostly hiatused due to life stuff.
If you like my work, consider becoming a patron. (Since apparently people think this is a requirement: no, my game(s) are free to play and always will be.

IamanElfCollaborator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Ryuko Inui was used to sleeping rough. With the state in which her world was in, it was hardly unknown to her that she'd have to sleep rough. Heroes didn't exactly have many places to stay any more, but it was getting better.

Of course, she at least knew where she was sleeping every night. And it was most certainly not here. The young woman rubbed her eyes, pulling herself up and dusting off her dirtied hoodie and tracksuit. She felt for her taser instinctively; maybe she'd have to fight, maybe not, but it was always useful to know where one's weapons were.
"Where.......w-where are we?"
Take a guess, smartass. We're not home. Can't be. No buildings. Too little chaos. And it can't be because of some hangover, because you never drink. Or get drunk, all because of me.

Powder Miner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

The appearance of the riot shield caught Florida's eye, and the man turned to take a look at the man who'd projected it -- must have found an interesting way to cannibalize some of the alien tech. Florida didn't begrudge him the shield though -- he had popped up gun in hand, after all. The man's words got an eyebrow to quirk on Florida's face: that was an overstatement, he thought.
"I know ISIS is bad, but things aren't quite that deadly there. And I'm one of the ones taking 'em out. Was actually shooting at one of them before I ended up here."
He looked around at the others again, and shrugged at Sera.
"Guess we just get to hope this isn't a bad situation then, huh?"

IamanElfCollaborator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

"H-huh? Shooting? What?!"

Twinwolf

• Bay Watcher
  • Probably hanging around Forum Games and Roleplay
    • View Profile

Sera raised an eyebrow at the sniper's question. "If I had to guess, it's probably pretty bad. Magical or high-tech entities don't usually teleport people over for a cup of tea. Well, except that one... nevermind. Probably not a battle royale situation, at least." He'd mentioned... ISIS? Wasn't that some small terrorist group from before the Turning Point? Huh.
Sigtext!
Of course, Twin is neither man nor woman but an unholy eldritch abomination like every other Bay12er. The difference is they hide it better.
Quote from: Caellath on IRC
<Caellath>: Twinwolf, your thirst for blood has been noted.

Powder Miner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Bellum Aeternus: Novae Fabula [IC Thread] Chapter I: A Disturbed Peace
« Reply #10 on: April 21, 2017, 02:48:42 pm »

He started a little as he turned towards the suddenly panicked girl.
"Oh, whoa, hold on, don't worry. Just... well, hell with it, we're practically a propaganda unit by now... Just doing XCOM things. Sweeping up some EXALT-aligned groups left over from the war, like ISIS. This was before getting transported... here, so you shouldn't have anything to worry about."
He turned towards Sera again, who looked to also be another civilian. But the things she was saying...
"...Magical? You mean psionic? Psi teleporting isn't a thing as far as I know..."
« Last Edit: April 21, 2017, 02:52:09 pm by Powder Miner »

IamanElfCollaborator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 21, 2017, 02:51:52 pm »

"X-COM? Exalt? Psi...w-what are you all even talking about?!
The young woman is even more panicked now at all these weird words being thrown about.
What the hell? Ryuko, what the hell did you get us into? This isn't......like home. No, I don't like it. Let me out, I need to-
Not now! Besides, you promised. You'd only come out if we're in danger!
Does this look safe to you? Does it?

Powder Miner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 21, 2017, 02:54:15 pm »

Florida started to frown as the panicking civilian woman proceeded to freak out further.
"Alright, sorry, maybe I got a bit technical. I'm one of the guys that fought the aliens and their buddies off, but I don't think you have anything like that to worry about here."

IamanElfCollaborator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 21, 2017, 02:56:52 pm »

.....aliens? What kind of.....no, he must be under some kind of drug. I've heard strange things, but aliens?
Okay, deep breaths, deep breaths. It will all be fine, Ryuko. Just.....ignore the weird, superpowered psychopath talking in your head and it'll all be fine. You just need a few moments, that's all.
Indeed, Ryuko does take deep breaths as she takes in what's going on and what she needs to process. She breathes in deeply, looking up at Florida. She seems to be calming down now, judging from her voice and her slowing breathing.
"Okay.....okay. There......there has to be some kind of mistake. Aliens....aliens don't exist."

Chevaleresse

• Bay Watcher
  • A knight, returned from a journey weary and long
    • View Profile
    • Patreon
« Reply #14 on: April 21, 2017, 02:59:16 pm »

"ISIS? Never heard of them. But I do know that Iraq was destroyed a long time ago. Never heard of XCOM or EXALT, either; that some sort of Librarium secret squad? Must be a recent development, I'd have designed your gun if it wasn't. . ." He fell quiet for a few moments, considering the situation. He'd heard of phenomena interventions, but to his knowledge there was no reason he would have been the subject of one; however it was starting to look like the only reasonable explanation. . . That or he'd been captured and drugged. But that wasn't particularly worth considering, given that it was rather difficult to think your way out of a fever dream. "Wait, aliens? Why the hell would aliens want to invade us, we already blew half the planet into uselessness."
GM of Trespassers V2.
I'm writing a science fantasy story. Mostly hiatused due to life stuff.
If you like my work, consider becoming a patron. (Since apparently people think this is a requirement: no, my game(s) are free to play and always will be.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 41