Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Dwarves keeping items strapped  (Read 1261 times)

Shizmoo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Dwarves keeping items strapped
« on: April 21, 2017, 01:44:43 pm »

I made a uniform for everyone besides hunters and miners to have weapon and shield always uniformed when unactive. I see they keep these strapped to upper body while the miners walk around with their pick in their hand. I had an incident where one of my dwarves got attacked by a crocodile and he only punched/kicked/etc. and got his leg torn off. Arent they suppose wield their gear when combat arises? How do I make them

anewaname

• Bay Watcher
  • The mattock... My choice for problem solving.
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarves keeping items strapped
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2017, 04:39:24 pm »

They will use their weapons but maybe yours did not for some reason. Did the croc get him by the leg first? I just started an embark in an evil biome with 7 axes, made a squad with the default leather armor uniform, and sent them to gather plants near the undead ravens. They killed them with a combination of axes and punching

Try 's'quad orders to have that dwarf's squad 'k'ill order on that cave croc. A squad order puts those dwarfs in an active status and they will wield their weapon and shield. It may not work on a dwarf that is already engaged in combat.

Also, my militia dwarfs wear bone/leather/copper armors as well weapon and shield. The objective is to increase their survival until help arrives.

How did I manage to successfully apply the lessons of The Screwtape Letters to my perceptions of big grocery stores?

Snafu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2017, 04:56:36 pm »

Shiz, FYI your restrictions should apply to woodcutters too, if relevant

escondida

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2017, 07:57:27 pm »

Also, my militia dwarfs wear bone/leather/copper armors as well weapon and shield. The objective is to increase their survival until help arrives.

You might consider dropping that copper for at least iron; iron's much lighter (which is a very good thing in every situation, including combat) than copper and much more protective. Bronze is just as good if you have the materials.

newtonsolo313

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2017, 10:30:15 pm »

You might consider dropping that copper for at least iron; iron's much lighter (which is a very good thing in every situation, including combat) than copper and much more protective. Bronze is just as good if you have the materials.
Iron ore is pretty rare and should probably be reserved for the either weapons or militia armor I think bronze is a better choice because tin is pretty common and isn't needed for much else(when was the last time you made a glaze.) iron on the other hand is needed to make steel

anewaname

• Bay Watcher
  • The mattock... My choice for problem solving.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2017, 11:39:29 pm »

I get bored fast on embarks that have iron, so usually I need to obtain it via trade or loot, and tin is rare. This means copper gear is common in my forts for a long time. The copper mailshirt is the only heavy item in the militia dwarf gear (at 21 weight).
How did I manage to successfully apply the lessons of The Screwtape Letters to my perceptions of big grocery stores?

escondida

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2017, 09:10:33 pm »

Iron ore is pretty rare and should probably be reserved for the either weapons or militia armor I think bronze is a better choice because tin is pretty common and isn't needed for much else(when was the last time you made a glaze.) iron on the other hand is needed to make steel

In my experience, iron's actually quite abundant in most embarks that have any. I'm currently sitting on nearly 2,000 iron bars and 500 steel (after using quite a lot of steel around the fort, outfitting the militia, and studding vendor trash with iron for years) Personally, I usually have far more trouble finding embarks with significant amounts of cassiterite, so that and bismuthinite are generally the scarce ores I end up trading for.

bloop_bleep

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2017, 11:27:58 pm »

Iron ore is pretty rare
tin is pretty common
You got yourself a contradiction right there.  :D
Quote from: KittyTac
The closest thing Bay12 has to a flamewar is an argument over philosophy that slowly transitioned to an argument about quantum mechanics.
Quote from: thefriendlyhacker
The trick is to only make predictions semi-seriously.  That way, I don't have a 98% failure rate. I have a 98% sarcasm rate.

newtonsolo313

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2017, 05:36:50 pm »

Iron ore is pretty rare
tin is pretty common
You got yourself a contradiction right there.  :D
What do you mean? I don't see a contradiction in saying one thing is common and another is rare on the other hand it probably depends on the geology of the area either that or in bad at remembering the names of the iron ores and don't realize I have them

bloop_bleep

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2017, 05:53:54 pm »

Well, saying something is common or rare is pretty relative. I'd agree with you that iron is uncommon if you didn't say tin is common as well. Iron has three ores, magnetite, hematite, and limonite. I don't know much about limonite, but hematite usually occurs in long, linear veins, and magnetite in large clusters. All of these, IIRC, can be found in the first few levels below ground. Tin, on the other hand, only has the one ore cassiterite, which I think is one of the most rarest stones in the game, and which I have only found pretty deep down.
Quote from: KittyTac
The closest thing Bay12 has to a flamewar is an argument over philosophy that slowly transitioned to an argument about quantum mechanics.
Quote from: thefriendlyhacker
The trick is to only make predictions semi-seriously.  That way, I don't have a 98% failure rate. I have a 98% sarcasm rate.

azrael4h

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Dwarf Fortress-centric You Tube videos, part of my nominally vintage gaming channel.
« Reply #10 on: April 23, 2017, 09:40:34 pm »

In my experience, iron's actually quite abundant in most embarks that have any. I'm currently sitting on nearly 2,000 iron bars and 500 steel (after using quite a lot of steel around the fort, outfitting the militia, and studding vendor trash with iron for years) Personally, I usually have far more trouble finding embarks with significant amounts of cassiterite, so that and bismuthinite are generally the scarce ores I end up trading for.

That's been my experience as well. Halldistance is built in a literal mountain of magnetite. I've enough masterwork iron gear to outfit 200+ dwarves, built a floor out of iron for the hell of it, and have around 4000 bars left. I could tear down the outer fort and rebuild it in iron. I also still haven't finished smelting all my magnetite after 12 years of constant running, 8 smelters currently. I still have a lot in the upper layers of the mountain to mine out too.

Pretty much everything else doesn't exist there.

If there isn't any iron, it's pretty much only imported through friendly goblins and dwarves in my experience. There isn't small veins here and there, only massive deposits.