Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Did anyone start a fortress on a necromancer's tower?  (Read 1240 times)

bloop_bleep

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Did anyone start a fortress on a necromancer's tower?
« on: April 22, 2017, 03:47:59 pm »

Has anyone managed to embark directly on top of a necromancer's tower using DFhack's embark-anywhere functionality? That would, of course, be very epic, so if anyone has shared their story I would like to see it. I did try to do so, if only to see how a tower looks like and to witness the epic but very brief battle that ensued.

If no one has done this before, someone should definitely do that now.
Quote from: KittyTac
The closest thing Bay12 has to a flamewar is an argument over philosophy that slowly transitioned to an argument about quantum mechanics.
Quote from: thefriendlyhacker
The trick is to only make predictions semi-seriously.  That way, I don't have a 98% failure rate. I have a 98% sarcasm rate.

NullForceOmega

• Bay Watcher
  • But, really, it's divine. Divinely tiresome.
    • View Profile
Re: Did anyone start a fortress on a necromancer's tower?
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2017, 06:09:08 pm »

Been done several times actually.  I don't know about the current version but in the last version you could just lock and forbid the tower door, trapping all the undead inside.
Grey morality is for people who wish to avoid retribution for misdeeds.

NullForceOmega is an immortal neanderthal who has been an amnesiac for the past 5000 years.

steel jackal

• Bay Watcher
  • [UNIQUE_DEMON]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2017, 06:53:40 pm »

just checked, works in 0.43.05

also, looked on the stocks menu and it says there is a slab, but i cant find it in the "tower"
the name tower usually implies a tall building, its 4z high, so its wider than it is tall, not very tower like if you ask me.

my question is can i get a siege from the tower that i embarked upon.

your not supposed to be able to embark upon them so i wouldent think the game would have a way to realize that it shouldent be possible, so i wouldent see why you couldent.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2017, 07:02:10 pm by steel jackal »
i am a dwarf and im digging a hole, diggy diggy hole

my art: http://www.furaffinity.net/gallery/tylerrobotnik/

bloop_bleep

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2017, 07:23:12 pm »

Can someone provide a link to an example?
Quote from: KittyTac
The closest thing Bay12 has to a flamewar is an argument over philosophy that slowly transitioned to an argument about quantum mechanics.
Quote from: thefriendlyhacker
The trick is to only make predictions semi-seriously.  That way, I don't have a 98% failure rate. I have a 98% sarcasm rate.

NullForceOmega

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2017, 07:32:52 pm »

just checked, works in 0.43.05

also, looked on the stocks menu and it says there is a slab, but i cant find it in the "tower"
the name tower usually implies a tall building, its 4z high, so its wider than it is tall, not very tower like if you ask me.

my question is can i get a siege from the tower that i embarked upon.

your not supposed to be able to embark upon them so i wouldent think the game would have a way to realize that it shouldent be possible, so i wouldent see why you couldent.

1 ) It was extremely rare for pre-industrial constructions to exceed three-four levels, but it does seem silly for it to have a larger footprint than rise.

2 ) Shouldn't be possible, (but this is DF, so can't count it out completely), your embark already shares its tile data with the tower, so there would likely be problems with even sending forces.  Also, the population of the tower is already present on the map, so there aren't any forces for the siege generator to draw from.

bloop_bleep: Sorry, I don't have any links, and most of those posts are two years old or so, they're pretty far back in the pages.

NullForceOmega is an immortal neanderthal who has been an amnesiac for the past 5000 years.

steel jackal

• Bay Watcher
  • [UNIQUE_DEMON]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2017, 08:52:18 pm »

It was extremely rare for pre-industrial constructions to exceed three-four levels, but it does seem silly for it to have a larger footprint than rise.

this is a world where you can support an entire castle with a single bar of soap, i had expected a 15z castle tower-like building made of stone.

as for sieges, if it is possible then i would expect the zombies to teleport out of the tower to the map edge, i saved the embark so i might play it to see what happens

NullForceOmega

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2017, 08:57:48 pm »

DF does not take meta-knowledge into account, the fact that a structure can be created by the player in defiance of physics has nothing to do with how generated buildings are laid out.  In general Toady tries to keep things consistent with his established era regarding generation of sites.

I would not expect any kind of teleporting, there used to be several major bugs that have been laid to rest now that specifically had to do with teleporting sieges.  The way sieges work now is that they must draw from an existing population and must be able to path, when the necromancers' entire force is already present, both conditions should fail automatically.

steel jackal

• Bay Watcher
  • [UNIQUE_DEMON]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2017, 09:38:04 pm »

hm thats unfortunate, i guess i will just let them out when im ready for the fun

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2017, 03:01:42 am »

:
1 ) It was extremely rare for pre-industrial constructions to exceed three-four levels, but it does seem silly for it to have a larger footprint than rise.
:

If I recall correctly, ancient Rome created laws forbidding the building of houses with more than something like 6 floors because they had problems with buildings collapsing when greedy land lords kept adding floors to existing buildings.

Curious Key

• Bay Watcher
  • Stumbling belligerence-first through life.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2017, 05:01:50 am »

hm thats unfortunate, i guess i will just let them out when im ready for the fun

Bonus points for setting up an arena full of local fauna/elves/goblins/something big and nasty.