Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 23 24 [25] 26 27

Author Topic: The World of Dwarvemon - Succession Fortress of Pocketball (ENDED)  (Read 60129 times)

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
  • [OPPOSED_TO_LIFE] [GOES_TO_ELEVEN]
    • View Profile
Re: The World of Dwarvemon - Succession Fortress of Pocketball (PLAYERS NEEDED!)
« Reply #360 on: September 06, 2017, 05:29:49 am »

I hate to double-post, but I need to ask a quick question... Which lever should I pull if this soirée that might hypothetically be taking place goes sour?

I'm certainly taking suggestions from people who have no clue, of course. We'll put it to a vote. :P

MCreeper

• Bay Watcher
  • My bus is late
    • View Profile
Re: The World of Dwarvemon - Succession Fortress of Pocketball (PLAYERS NEEDED!)
« Reply #361 on: September 06, 2017, 07:52:02 am »

Depends on where it is. If it near the entrance then
Upper right lever: opens floodgate on surface level
Lower right lever: opens and closes water supply form the brook
Left lever: opens floodgate on top of the tower.
Lever in dining hall: opens floodgate to dining hall, for all your tomb-flooding needs.
But since water tower is broken, nothing of it will do much. Except probably lever in dining hole, there will be a little flood
« Last Edit: September 06, 2017, 07:55:34 am by MCreeper »

Paddywagon Man

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #362 on: September 06, 2017, 12:15:40 pm »

I would recommend against attack those demons directly. The fire and webs they'll be laying down means that we'll be more or less unable to fight.

On the bright side, all the web and fire demons are made of flimsy stuff, so they can easily be shot to pieces. And then the melee dwarves can clear out the Kite Fiends, though don't expect to take them down without losses.

Or build a bunch of weapon traps and stick a gastly in there - if they're as invincible as you say, they'll be able to survive friendly fire from the traps, and the web demons will gum up the non-webbers and turn the trap corridor into a blender.

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #363 on: September 07, 2017, 03:44:02 am »

Almost done. Just wanted to make you all live through one more cliffhanger. Also, my ability to take screenshots mysteriously malfunctioned just as things were getting good, but hopefully I was descriptive enough to make up for it.

Excerpts from A Million Little Pichus: A Memoir, by Maximum Spin Spatteredgorges

The goblins were upon us almost as soon as we noticed them. They brought Shelgon, Gabite, and strange pokémon they called "beak dogs", as well as the now-familiar "trolls". As they poured out across the southern hill I wasted no time in ordering the entire military to confront them. That is, the entire military except for the one squad I had formed as a bureaucratic procedure, the Fleeing Flaaffy, consisting only of myself. The Fleeing Flaaffy were ordered to stay in reserve well away from the battle, naturally.

As I hoped, human mercenaries were the first to engage the enemy. After all, what purpose do they have if not to give their lives to protect dwarvenkind? I wondered, though, if they would be enough to hold the line (now teeming also with Golbat and Garchomp, suggesting that perhaps the goblins have chosen to maintain a 'G' theme), and whether Pocketball had one of those popular entrance-sealing bridges I've heard so much about from other fortresses. There was certainly a bridge in the right place, but I had no idea what lever, if any, might be used to close it. I decided to wait for stragglers, then pull whatever lever would seem most logical at the time.

I thought it best to restrain myself to the levers in the small room adjacent to the bridge, where it would be most sensible for a bridge-sealing lever to be found. But there were three levers there, all unlabeled. Perhaps I would pull the granite lever in the far right corner of the room, which was attached to a single rock salt mechanism? Or perhaps the closest rock salt lever on the left wall, also connected to a single rock salt mechanism? Or even the further rock salt lever, connected to a whole pile of mechanisms that would probably mostly not do what I wanted, but one of them might? I had no way to decide. Perhaps I should pull them all? I wondered if there would be time to put it to a vote. Of course, that thought was totally absurd; there simply wasn't time for that, and, for good or ill, I was in charge. I decided to pull all the levers if the situation became dire enough.
[No, I don't have my left and right backward; I'm describing it as seen by a dwarf entering from the top...]

For the goblins, that is. It turned out that they needed to invest in more gym badges, because their pokémon regularly disobeyed them, carrying them far afield in terrified flight, often leaving trails of goblin blood behind them. One particular goblin was particularly unlucky, having been dragged along a twisting path uphill while spraying blood from her ragged leg stump the whole way.

Meanwhile, in the bloody core of the fight, MCreeper was vying with a goblin hammerer over the title of hammer supremacy. It was a pretty one-sided contest.

Taupe was less lucky, having lost first her weapon, then the use of her good hand, then a foot.

Still, she survived, though by a thread. I asked her, afterward, what thought could have given her the drive to fight through such ghastly injuries, and her response seemed eminently reasonable.

Deep underground, DrewLegend was stymied from reaching the battlefield by a vicious Roggenrola. It didn't matter much, though, as the goblins were routed with only a few miscellaneous casualties on our side. Two dwarves, three humans, and another Feraligatr gave their lives for Pocketball that day, but so did many more goblins and their various vile allies. The last invader left on the field, a war Shelgon, offered the goblin perspective on the battle's outcome.

Naturally, I did not feel the need to pull any levers. This proved to be a good thing, since MCreeper later told me that they would have flooded various parts of the fortress, not sealed the gate. On reflection, I had no choice but to agree that it was perfectly obvious and logical for the set of levers next to the gate to flood random rooms.

During the retreat, our scattered cage traps had captured two war Gabite and, most interestingly, one of those strange Beak Dogs, which I ordered to be installed in the Master-Ball for proper study. As the army began to head home, vomiting steadily along the way, a hunter stumbled upon the Roggenrola in the depths, and began to crush the steel beast with her bare hands. One of RedMageCole's captive Mimikyu went feral in the Mimikyu cubby. Clearly, Pocketball had, almost instantly, returned to the usual everyday routine.

Yet there was still the matter of the demons. After a ludicrous amount of time and effort, Paddywagon Man's trap was finally fixed and prepared for use. With the doors having been wasted in the last, failed attempt, there was no safe way to trigger it; we simply had to hope that we would be able to pull the lever and collapse the block before any demons escaped the target zone. With that in mind, I locked myself in the lever room to ensure that I would be able to pull the lever the instant I heard the signal, and sent someone expendable down to open the passageway.

Pocketball used Attract!
It doesn't affect DEMONS...

Well, it wasn't entirely ineffective. Two demons appeared from somewhere and began murdering wild pokémon in the caverns. It's possible that these were some of the original foray from my year that escaped into the caverns and may only have been triggered to attempt to return when the path back to their fellows was reopened, since no demons were ever seen leaving their stairway. I decided to arrange to drop the rock I'd had set up directly over their heads instead, and sent the military down to the caverns to clean up the two stragglers.

Just at that moment, with demons loose in the fort again and the tunnel to more wide open, with the military scurrying around in the depths trying to protect from that threat... a wereloris appeared. Luckily, the two demons in the deep were pushovers, dying almost instantly after killing only one of our human meatshields. The wereloris, in turn, killed a child and a hammerdwarf who were wandering on the surface, only to be killed by the crack duo of a random miner with a pickaxe and his Greninja, which he had inexplicably named after himself. Just to ensure that Pocketball would never be without excitement, both were bitten in the process. I decided that, if Catten and Catten survived their initial injuries, I'd draft them to fight the demons.

With that taken care of, I turned back to the demon problem. It was becoming clear that building another lever and connecting the relevant support would take the rest of my term and probably most of the next one, so I finally opted to switch to plan B: order some unlucky passerby to dismantle the support by hand. The citizens of Pocketball generally agreed that this was a massive improvement over Paddywagon Man's typical plans, since, instead of requiring the sacrifice of a miner, it only required the sacrifice of a mason. The winner of this rare opportunity was Rith Cloisterrhymes, a huntress. To everyone's surprise and disappointment, she survived, as did the demons. I quickly ordered that someone, anyone, remove the disconnected staircase that I realised was blocking the collapse. Then I realised I should've been more specific, because Beirus, Champion of Pocketball, stepped in to perform the task himself, unaware that there was no other means of support. At the same time, a gem cutter had wandered into the target zone, just to keep things even more interesting. Beirus was thrown clear with a fair chance of surviving; the gem cutter was presumably obliterated. But so, too, were the target demons, and the others nearby were thrown into a state of disarray that I thought might lead them to finally take the other trap corridor.

While studying the aftermath of the collapse, I also discovered how demons had been leaking into the caverns. It seemed nobody before me had ever noticed that the stairway they were occupying opened directly onto a cavern from above, leaving the area totally accessible to flying demons and presumably allowing the others to occasionally fall through. Now six angry demons, most of them web-spinning Brutes of Waste, were loose beneath the fortress, capable of attacking at any time through the side stairwells. Luckily, I figured it would probably take at least a month for them to get anywhere important, making it someone else's problem.

The three other surviving demons, however — a Kite Fiend, a Boiling Devil, and a Shade Monster — were making their way through Paddywagon Man's trap corridor as intended. A few of the flyers even returned to follow their friends this way. I hastily ran back to the Master-Ball to await the signal which was now to arrive from the Attics of Mimikyu, who had been stationed in the area to watch for activity. One of the Attics, human crossbowman Ahdo Telldrive, matched my sprint with one of his own, but he was sprinting directly toward the demons. The results were predictable but there was no time to dwell on that. Another crossbowman from the Attics and a very stupid wood burner blundered into the tunnel just as I pulled the lever. Suddenly, dramatically, Paddywagon Man's plan finally met fruition.

Pocketball used Earthquake!
It's super-effective!

There were now only two demons left alive and free in Pocketball, both Brutes of Waste. I ordered the entire military to hunt them down. There was no point leaving them to be someone else's problem now; I wanted to be the overseer who freed Pocketball from demonic thralldom forever. They were certainly strong and dangerous, but I was unconcerned. We now had the advantage of numbers, for the first time. Just as the first Brute went down, my Mareep evolved into a Flaaffy. Clearly, it was as excited as I was. The second Brute was more, well, brutal. It killed the four soldiers who initially arrived as quick as anything, then waited for their reinforcements. TheImmortalRyukan ran into the tunnel and quickly proved mortal. MCreeper and another soldier were next to be laid low. DrewLegend and the Captain of the Guard charged in from another angle, but fared no better. The Brute now saw its way clear into the fortress at large and made a break for it.

Running straight into Champion Beirus, who quickly earned his title. The Brute was suddenly vulnerable, mobbed on all sides by terrified civilians – all of whom, shockingly, survived – and unhelped by its webs now that it was in the open. Though still bruised after being caught in the collapse a couple of days earlier, Beirus suffered no wounds while demolishing the Brute. The only demon left in Pocketball was our imprisoned Snail Fiend, caged in an area I'd been calling the Smoking Section. We were finally free.

And that kind of thinking is exactly why I was caught so by surprise when the time came and Catten the Wereloris (dwarf Catten, not Greninja Catten) turned.

Incidentally, Zefermcdwarfpants avoided death by mere moments, as he was straggling just behind the Brute as it ran up the stairs into the fort. If he had caught up with it sooner, it probably would have treated him the same as it did the others who reached it in time.

MCreeper

• Bay Watcher
  • My bus is late
    • View Profile
« Reply #364 on: September 07, 2017, 05:15:45 am »

Well, damn. It seems i underestimated this demons. It's still better then my previous sucession game, though, when my full steel-plate(masterwork, better then just steel) clad and mythril spear wielding character succesfully avoided ALL fights in my turn, then was killed by a freaking giant grey langur, because it just happened that he had highest diagnosis skill and was unassigned from military.
    Probably. It's first time i see "I'm panicking!I'm panicking!" line in dwarf fortress EVER. And i'm playing from very late 40.24, dammmit

« Last Edit: September 07, 2017, 05:25:48 am by MCreeper »

Paddywagon Man

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #365 on: September 07, 2017, 10:31:40 am »

Awesome! I had noticed during my reign that despite being our fort's best warrior, Beirus really didn't have any important kills, and Kadol the Crobat had more kills than him by a good margin... glad to finally see him get the action he deserves.

Congrats Maximum Spin, despite the rather difficult starting position I put you in, you finally wiped those demons! The battle was three turns long, and fraught with peril, but Pocketball has emerged triumphant.

Beirus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #366 on: September 07, 2017, 01:29:34 pm »

Heh, now I feel like I have to write a journal, at least to cover the collapse and Brute fight.

I'm thinking of calling it Float like a Butterfree, Sting like a Beedrill: A Champion's Tale.
Because everything is Megaman when you have an arm cannon.

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #367 on: September 07, 2017, 10:15:12 pm »

Excerpts from A Million Little Pichus: A Memoir, by Maximum Spin Spatteredgorges

Catten's first victim was his own Greninja, closely followed by a passing human poet. Between the two of them, they maimed him substantially, which may have been what allowed the next to engage, a visiting human scholar who was just on her way to leave Pocketball, to escape, though with severe wounds. I wasn't sure what became of her, but I imagined she probably left to start another werebeast apocalypse somewhere else. With Catten grievously injured, then, it's no surprise that this budding rampage was soon cut short when he tried to attack Imic, an agile and effective axedwarf. Imic dispatched Catten as though by routine, without taking any damage himself.

I was honestly a little disappointed that the abortive rampage ended so quickly. I had been hoping for some excitement to cap off my term, given how dramatic things had been for most of the year. It was gratifying, though, to know that the survivor might come back to make things interesting again later. In the meantime, I returned to my more mundane projects. First, noticing that all our coffins had been filled in the year's chaos, I designated a gorgeous, sprawling new crypt that I unfortunately cannot depict here because my woodcut artist was recently eaten by giant axolotl. Trust me, though, it was great.

Next, I commissioned a new golden statue to be placed in front of the trade depot, continuing the ongoing theme in the surface statues of Paddywagon Man and swalots. In this new image, titled The Dangerous Dance of Danger, a swalot is devouring Paddywagon Man, who looks confused. I offered it to Paddywagon Man as a personal gift of thanks for building the trap I eventually used to conquer the demons.

Finally, just as the last week of my term was winding down, my most glorious project was complete: Muckmud the Silvery Mire of Poison, a temple to Izeg, goddess of Muk, one of Pocketball's more popular deities. It centred around a silver altar and was decorated with silver statues of Grimer, Muk, and Izeg being worshipped by Grimer and Muk. I assigned Taupe, a worshipper of Izeg, as a temple performer upon learning of her adequate, though, rusty, musical skill.

With all the duties I had set for myself complete, it was time to end my term as overseer of Pocketball. When I first took the position, I had only asked Paddywagon Man to support my claim for a year, after which I had agreed to pass it to another, and I had no intention of breaking this promise. Thus, the first chapter of my time in Pocketball ends here.

I think it's fair to say that Pocketball has been maximally spun. The demons spun right out. Here's the save. By the way, the FPS has improved enormously now that the demons are no more, so there shouldn't be any reason we couldn't wring at least a couple more turns out of this fort. Hopefully, the next player will do what I should've done but didn't have time to do, and commission a new statue of Beirus doing something suitable impressive. Beirus is an ardent worshipper of Izeg, so you could even work him into the muk temple design, perhaps with a statue of him praying to her while killing demons or some such thing.

Beirus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #368 on: September 07, 2017, 10:28:47 pm »

Izeg, huh? Seems fitting since I think I still have a My I. Also, has my Alolan Geodude evolved?
Because everything is Megaman when you have an arm cannon.

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #369 on: September 07, 2017, 10:59:09 pm »

Izeg, huh? Seems fitting since I think I still have a My I. Also, has my Alolan Geodude evolved?
You do have a Muk (if my ability to understand typos isn't failing me), but you don't seem to have any geopersons. Look, I tried keeping track of all the deaths, but it turns out when you let demons into the fort there are a lot of deaths. :P There is an Alolan Graveler, though, that you could pretend was yours all along, and a whole pile of Geodudes (Alolan and otherwise) hanging around. You'll have to ask the next player for that, of course. Could have a whole team of Geodudes to follow you around pretending to be a rock wall so you can burst through it like the Kool-Aid man.

melkor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #370 on: September 09, 2017, 04:09:37 am »

I downloaded the save. Expect a update later this night

edit: i don't want to double post so il edit.

1st Granite 59 melkor’s log
One day I was just happily playing with my puzzle box
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
When suddenly I found a little badge in the pile of junk we call a stockpile. It was a overseer badge so this obviously makes me the overseer now. So I quickly go to the current overseer waved my badge around and proclaim that I am now the overseer. And he agreed! So now I am sitting on the big overseer chair…
I am not sure what to do now but let’s see what is happening in my little home.

What?! They are replaying the battle that happened just a few days ago, I want to play make believe to!
They are even using the body parts and the weapons not fair! But I am the overseer now so I need to help the entire fort.
I am just much more adult than they are! Besides the sun always nauseate me when I go outside so I didn’t want to play anyway.
Also there is a ghost Pokémon I get to see and they dont.
although it does seem to bother a poor Galvantula who is missing 2 legs so that is not nice, I will have to get more badges to get that Pokemon under control.

The fort is very confusing though lots of corridors and workshops spread around. And everybody kinda just does what they want.

So that’s the first thing ill change an..wait WHAT IS THAT!!
WE ALLOWED A ELF TO LIVE HERE. Daddy always told me story’s about how they eat you if you don’t eat your veggies. Elves always hid under my bed, but daddy and mommy would always scare them away. I don’t think anybody knows so that must be one of those elf spies mommy talks about. I know what to do with that elf, But first.
I need to clean up all the died people, blood is good and all but we shouldn’t let corpses rot away and that won’t be easy since we all projectile vomit when we go outside.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2017, 03:02:51 am by melkor »
Quote from: Robocorn
what do postdwarvenists do with goblins?

Quote from: Andreus
We slaughter them by the thousands.
But... you know, we do it ironically.

melkor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #371 on: September 10, 2017, 09:13:42 am »

have to double post anyway

Melkor’s log 7th granite

Aaah so cute. I was called over to was as a eelektrik was hatching. It was soooo cute.

Melkor’s log 10th granite
ELVES THEY HAVE COME. I am so scared I don’t know what to do. Mommy and daddy would know what to do, but I am the overseer I have to make this decision on my own. I am told that somebody called a broker knows what to do with them so I have ordered him to meet them. While I stay safe on this throne. I wanted to help but people said that a leader must stay behind so I did.

Melkor’s log 26th granite
I was told that fire was destroying buildings

I don’t get way that is so strange because we are using magma to power the furnace so I don’t get it, but il send the militia to clean it up.

Melkor’s log 5th slate
Some more people showed up but I don’t like them because they said mean things about our home.
but I do need to write down how many they are so I geuss il do that.
They are 10 more so now we have 86 people 19 are children like me 67 are adult but from those 13 are non dwarf’s so we have….
54? people that can work.

Melkor’s log 8th slate
Somebody was very upset today
I was told not to talk to him though.

Melkor’s log 12th slate
A big scary beast was seen

Melkor’s log 28th slate
People are starting to panic. I don’t know why, something is going on at the magma furnaces

The soldiers have been busy collecting there equipment so they haven’t fought wherever is there yet.

Melkor’s log 7th felsites
The fire demons have reached the throne room

One of the fire demons was killed by a emboar and he killed another then the last one was killed by a samurott. So no more bad demons. Somebody however did change the number of people we have. Did some leave because the where afraid? We now have 71 people living here. 

But while we where busy with the demons the FB got into the stockpile area. 
There is fire everywhere and people are dying, fire is being thrown around, people are being thrown around. What is happening?

A mamoswine killed it, it’s finally death 
There are only 44 people alive now and a lot of people are wounded.

Melkor’s log 2nd hematite
Its summer usually I am happy about that but not this time. We are leaving the fort is too dangerous to stay and with all the people dead we can’t keep the fort running.
I have failed you mom and dad.

so yeah it took me 3 months to kill the fort and all i had to do was not knowing where a the openings to the fort are. i also enlisted the entire pop to tray and kill the FB.
in the save is the abandoned and the non abandoned save.
save
Quote from: Robocorn
what do postdwarvenists do with goblins?

Quote from: Andreus
We slaughter them by the thousands.
But... you know, we do it ironically.

Nopal

« Reply #372 on: September 10, 2017, 12:44:20 pm »

<Deleted>
« Last Edit: June 30, 2018, 09:13:55 pm by Nopal »

RedMageCole

• Bay Watcher
  • My sole interest is uncovering the truth!
    • View Profile
« Reply #373 on: September 10, 2017, 11:02:35 pm »

Was gonna be pretty upset a child killed the fort until I remembered we were going to kill it anyway. This oughta be fun to write about in the next fortress. What should we call our next fort? I was thinking a non-standard Greatball fort, but it's up to you guys. And again, I'll start a new, smaller fort with a lower cap on dwarves to avoid FPS death.

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #374 on: September 11, 2017, 08:19:58 pm »

Was gonna be pretty upset a child killed the fort until I remembered we were going to kill it anyway. This oughta be fun to write about in the next fortress. What should we call our next fort? I was thinking a non-standard Greatball fort, but it's up to you guys. And again, I'll start a new, smaller fort with a lower cap on dwarves to avoid FPS death.
Like I said, we probably don't need to take any drastic measures to deal with the FPS, since it improved dramatically once the demons were killed - it was probably just this demon pathing bug and won't be a problem until we do that again.
Pages: 1 ... 23 24 [25] 26 27