Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7

Author Topic: MMOs?  (Read 15847 times)

Necrothurge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
MMOs?
« on: April 23, 2017, 02:54:53 am »

I've likely got a few months free soon and I was wondering if there are any Bay12 MMO communities or anyone playing MMOs individually that they've been enjoying, particularly MMOs coming out soon?

Radsoc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: MMOs?
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2017, 03:33:31 am »

I'm following Star Citizen, which is showing progress, but it's a long way until release still. Check it out if you haven't!
"The hand-mill gives you society with the feudal lord; the steam-mill society with the industrial capitalist."

"To punish the oppressors of humanity is clemency; to forgive them is cruelty. The severity of tyrants has barbarity for its principle; that of a republican government is founded on beneficence."

Arbinire

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2017, 07:23:59 am »

saddly this about sums up the state of new and exciting MMO's lately:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Spoiler for language some might find inappropriate.

But yeah, it's so dry right now for MMO's.  I've just been playing WoW again, and that's not exactly a recommendation to come back

itisnotlogical

• Bay Watcher
  • might be dat boi
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2017, 08:11:10 am »

I really, really like Star Trek Online, still play it fairly regularly. Never done group play though.
This game is Curtain Fire Shooting Game.
Girls do their best now and are preparing. Please watch warmly until it is ready.

Aoi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2017, 11:08:17 am »

I've been an avid fan of Guild Wars 2 since launch, and it allows for a relatively unrestricted F2P mode. (Mostly limits interaction with other players, for obvious economic reasons.)
Stench Guzman: Fix this quote, please.
Now celebrating: Two and a half years misquoted. Seriously man. Just fix it. -_-

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2017, 11:48:21 am »

Been into EVE myself.  It's decent if you can handle the 'you basically have to join a zerg group to get into things' barrier.

Kazagarth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2017, 11:58:57 am »

I still play World of Warcraft. I have yet to find one (that is released) to match its quality. Tons of content, very good movement (many MMOs the characters "slide" when moving and have sucky animations, Lord of the Rings Online is a HUGE example of that). Events are a lot of fun, lots of crafting to do (a lot of MMOs don't have the "fun" stuff like alchemy and engineering (ride freakin mechs lol) and even cooking like WoW does). The world is huge overall if you include everything, though Broken Isle zones seem kinda small. And while its "old" content, the WoD stuff still makes a ton of gold and offers a lot of content to do that still works pretty well. Not everyone liked garrisons though, but I do.

On top of all that, WoW has really unique races (get to play freakin undead (Forsaken), almost no if any other MMO lets you play as the undead. All the races have a ton of lore too, though some a bit more than others. All the classes are a ton of fun to play too, and some are pretty unique (especially in how they play) as far as MMOs go.

For future MMOs. I'm looking forward to Star Citizen and that is about it. Star Citizen looks like it could really be amazing.

Though I mostly play singleplayer games. Modded Skyrim. Modded Rimworld. Modded Warhammer Total War. theHunter Call of the Wild. Modded Crusader Kings 2 and modded Europa Universalis 4 (though I'm waiting for MEIOU 2.0 to play again).

I just play WoW really casually, and it works really well. You can even play for free through WoW tokens, which is super easy to get when you are level 110. If you are a new player, probably not so easy though. At level 110 and doing all the content/old content, it takes about 2 and a half weeks up to 3 weeks of casual play to get a WoW token. But I don't really play that much so it probably could be done sooner for someone who plays a lot more.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2017, 12:07:30 pm by Kazagarth »

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2017, 12:28:45 pm »

I've been playing a bit of Black Desert and a bit of GW2, otherwise not much really in the way of new mmos.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

Vibe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2017, 05:52:07 am »

MMO scene is pretty much dead. Not in terms of being devoid of players since you still have giants such as WoW, FFXIV, GW2 and ESO, but as a branch of gaming it is getting less and less releases, a lot of them being asian imports. Pretty much all the current MMOs are now from smaller teams and crowdfunded and there's absolutely nothing to get hyped about. Most notable exceptions to this are Star Citizen and Amazon New World, but they are so far from a released state that it's hard to form any excitement over them.

Wiles

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2017, 06:12:25 am »

I have been playing the Elder Scrolls Online pretty much non stop since February. I haven't really been this into an MMO since WoW released. I can't even really put my finger one what I like about the game, the combat system is your garden variety mmo combat, the graphics are getting fairly dated, but I enjoy the hell out of it. I guess I just like the universe, and maybe decorating houses.

The only other MMO I have played in the past few years was Black Desert Online. It is very pretty and does some interesting things but the story/writing is absolute dogshit. The combat is probably the best combat system I've seen in an MMO, fights are fun and interactive. The crafting/trade system is fairly interesting, but kind of a hassle. Sailing on your fishing boats, or driving goods from town to town in a wagon was pretty neat. The game suffers from its B2P status though, they want you buy stuff so they make things like looting a pain in the ass so that you'll buy multiple pets to help you loot. After playing for about a month I was pretty bored and stopped playing. There are things I thought it did really well that I hope we see in other MMOs but ultimately I did not enjoy the game after putting a lot of time into it.

Necrothurge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 24, 2017, 11:38:32 pm »

I have been playing the Elder Scrolls Online pretty much non stop since February. I haven't really been this into an MMO since WoW released. I can't even really put my finger one what I like about the game, the combat system is your garden variety mmo combat, the graphics are getting fairly dated, but I enjoy the hell out of it. I guess I just like the universe, and maybe decorating houses.

I started playing it again yesterday after the atrocious launch. It's definitely started to become respectable. What server are you on?

Cyroth

• Bay Watcher
  • [FABULOUS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 24, 2017, 11:43:14 pm »

I'm currently playing lot of Neverwinter again, mostly because there is hardly anything else that is worth playing. It also has the most fun caster class since the Mesmer in Guild Wars, which helps to keep me interested. The amount of crowd control a good ice mage can dish out is insane, and I've alwayws loved a good CC based class.

IMO MMORPGs became kinda stale a decade or so, when most of them morphed either into glorified single player RPGs with a mediocre multiplayer tacked on top of them or into PvP playgrounds with nothing else to them. There just doesn't seem to be much middle ground any more, even worse is that pretty much every MMO I've played recently actually punishes you in one way or another for playing it like it is a multiplayer game outside of dedicated multiplayer zones (e.g. dungeons or special group quests).
I'd kill for a decent MMO that takes its inspiration from Everquest or Ragnarok Online and kicks your sorry behind if you try to solo your way through it. Tree of Savior was a good try and got the gameplay itself mostly right, but unfortunately the international branch of IMC is one of the most incompetent and greedy bunch of imbeciles I've ever seen in control of an MMO, and I've seen quite a few.

I'm currently waiting for few games, not much hope in the near future in my opinion.
Chronicles of Elyria is my personal favoite upcoming MMO, but its release is still a long way off. Its a bastard child of an aRPG with a very parkour~y movement style, Lands of Lords or Crusader Kings style politics system and some survival elements thrown in for good measure.

Star Citizen shouldn't need much introduction to anybody with an internet connection and a pulse. Spaceship MMO, a mix of EVE and old Freelancer.

And thats about it.
Demons are preferable to ravens.
A noble just suffered a genuine unfortunate accident.
Has that ever happened before?

Paul

• Bay Watcher
  • Polite discourse with a dash of insanity.
    • View Profile
    • Need an affordable website? I can help.
« Reply #12 on: April 25, 2017, 01:13:20 am »

I've been having fun in Albion Online. See the thread I made for it here: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=163292.0

Basically it's a top down full loot pvp game with a big variety of skills and pretty good balance so that you see hundreds of different builds. Economy is player driven with items being crafted from gathered resources in buildings owned and built by players upkept using food grown by players.

Still in beta until July, and it's a buy to play game without any demo or trial, but you can find youtube videos of it to see if it looks like something you would enjoy. If you do end up getting it message me and I can give you tips to get you started and craft you some good equipment to use.
Do you like Science Fiction? I'm writing the Weaveborn Saga over on Royal Road and my website. Link

Wiles

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 26, 2017, 01:58:55 pm »

I started playing it again yesterday after the atrocious launch. It's definitely started to become respectable. What server are you on?

I am on the North American PC server. I'm @Reznaak in game if you ever have any questions

Folly

• Bay Watcher
  • Steam Profile: 76561197996956175
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 26, 2017, 04:38:30 pm »

I'd kill for a decent MMO that takes its inspiration from Everquest or Ragnarok Online and kicks your sorry behind if you try to solo your way through it.

Pantheon is actually being developed by some of the original Everquest team; it is very similar to EQ in a lot of ways, with a strong emphasis on teamwork. ETA for publicly playable build is 'later this year', but they already have some videos up of in-house play sessions and it seems to be coming along nicely.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7