Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 18

Author Topic: Time Paradox Mafia: Game Over, Mafia Win  (Read 40125 times)

FallacyofUrist

• Bay Watcher
  • Blatant furry. Also a hypnotist.
    • View Profile
Re: Time Paradox Mafia [9/9] Day 1; Days of Future Past
« Reply #60 on: July 31, 2017, 06:50:29 pm »

Teneb, juicebox, caz: How are you going to deal with the time shenanigans in this game?
Everybody else: Same question, actually. It's the question on all of our minds, really. How to deal with time shenanigans.
Generic Arms Race.

Would you like to play a game of Mafia? The subforum is always open to new players.

Caz

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:comforting whirs]
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: July 31, 2017, 07:03:34 pm »

Hi guys let's be time travellers. Didn't think I would actually get into this game, so this is pretty neat. I forget like half of you though, so excuse me :l

FallacyofUrist: Deal with them as they come I suppose.  Being semi-bastard I expect we'll come to the wrong conclusions and make some !!fun!! mistakes.

I wonder what happens if someone dies in the past though. If that person voted for someone which lead to a lynch... which then didn't happen due to the kill... would another person end up lynched instead? Does the timestream only 'change' each day/night phase? And what order are actions resolved in?

Same question for you, btw.

Roseheart: You work out that you can use an action that will cause a time paradox and eliminate someone you suspect to be scum, but it will also eliminate yourself. Do you do it?

RoseHeart

• Bay Watcher
  • Hero Saga Setup: 96%. Other stuff Paused.
    • View Profile
    • Forum Game Portfolio
« Reply #62 on: July 31, 2017, 07:28:46 pm »

Roseheart: You work out that you can use an action that will cause a time paradox and eliminate someone you suspect to be scum, but it will also eliminate yourself. Do you do it?

Team Win>Self Survival>Strawberry Shake

Awesome With Autism
Currently listening to: Goldeneye Menu

FallacyofUrist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: July 31, 2017, 07:34:45 pm »

Caz: That's a very easy question you gave Roseheart. There are two mafia and seven town(barring third parties or a setup deviating from the norm in a ridiculous manner). Town can afford losses, mafia can't. For town, the answer is yes, period, provided the suspicion is high enough. Why would you give Roseheart such an easy question?

I wonder what happens if someone dies in the past though. [1] If that person voted for someone which lead to a lynch... which then didn't happen due to the kill... would another person end up lynched instead? [2] Does the timestream only 'change' each day/night phase? [3] And what order are actions resolved in?
[1]: It depends on the vote count, but yes, the lynch result could change as a result. Could. Or at least, that would be my guess.

[2]: No clue. If there aren't any day actions, seems likely.

[3]: Ask the mod, not me.
Speaking of which, seriously, all of these are questions that should be going to the mod, not me. These all seem like stuff that should be public knowledge.
Generic Arms Race.

Would you like to play a game of Mafia? The subforum is always open to new players.

Caz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: July 31, 2017, 07:47:54 pm »

Caz: That's a very easy question you gave Roseheart. There are two mafia and seven town(barring third parties or a setup deviating from the norm in a ridiculous manner). Town can afford losses, mafia can't. For town, the answer is yes, period, provided the suspicion is high enough. Why would you give Roseheart such an easy question?

For an 'easy question' it's interesting that they didn't give a straight answer. Please give an example of a question with suitable difficulty?

Speaking of which, seriously, all of these are questions that should be going to the mod, not me. These all seem like stuff that should be public knowledge.

Eh I was just wondering aloud really. I probably shoulda organised my paragraphs better.

Team Win>Self Survival>Strawberry Shake

So you're claiming non-third party then, got it. I'm lost on the strawberry shake part though.

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: July 31, 2017, 08:37:11 pm »

Teneb, juicebox, caz: How are you going to deal with the time shenanigans in this game?
I won't. I'll just play normally.

Also, perhaps we can skip the RVS? It rarely if ever results in anything.

Roseheart: Please use actual quotes. If you are on mobile, mention the post number you are referring to. Don't do... whatever the fuck you did there.
I mean this. Don't do what I quoted. Quote like I do. This ain't one of them FG&RP freeform roleplays.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

FallacyofUrist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: July 31, 2017, 08:39:26 pm »

It actually is a straight answer. Just phrased in a convoluted manner.

Town win above the survival of self. Essentially this.

There are two mafia and seven town(barring third parties or a setup deviating from the norm in a ridiculous manner). Town can afford losses, mafia can't. For town, the answer is yes, period, provided the suspicion is high enough.
~~~
Please give an example of a question with suitable difficulty?
A question with a non-obvious answer, or a question with multiple possible answers.

How about this.

During the night, you gain a 1-shot kill ability. At the end of each night other than the night you receive the ability, you have a 50% chance of loosing the ability. There are 3 people you have varying suspicions of of being scum, and your own role ability is the ability to role block somebody. What do?
Generic Arms Race.

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: July 31, 2017, 08:48:40 pm »

During the night, you gain a 1-shot kill ability. At the end of each night other than the night you receive the ability, you have a 50% chance of loosing the ability. There are 3 people you have varying suspicions of of being scum, and your own role ability is the ability to role block somebody. What do?
And how would the asking of this question or the answering of it help you find scum?
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

RoseHeart

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Forum Game Portfolio
« Reply #68 on: July 31, 2017, 09:33:17 pm »

So you're claiming non-third party then, got it. I'm lost on the strawberry shake part though

Strawberry shakes are delish'.
Awesome With Autism

Caz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: July 31, 2017, 10:08:36 pm »

It actually is a straight answer. Just phrased in a convoluted manner.

Town win above the survival of self. Essentially this.

Yeah but he/she didn't actually say that, just that a 'group win' is better than solo survival in their eyes. So the only thing they actually claimed is that they're totes not survivor broooo. I found it interesting.

I'd probably just use the roleblock to help more clearly confirm who to target. Going off and shooting someone who turns out to be town would be a super bad move, and the info gained by using roleblock is more useful anyway imo. Unless I was beyond a doubt sure.

BlackHeartKabal

• Bay Watcher
  • You are doomed, doomed, I tell you!
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: July 31, 2017, 10:30:45 pm »

Everybody else: Same question, actually. It's the question on all of our minds, really. How to deal with time shenanigans.
Ignore them. It's out of my hands, so I'll just work with everyone and let whatever screwed action resolution eventually, well, resolve itself.

Fallacy - Answer your own question?
Everybody else - I suspect that the majority of town are very strong power roles, and the mafia have time manipulation to account for this. What are your theories about the game?
Roseheart - Strawberry shakes are horrendous.

TheDarkStar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: July 31, 2017, 10:43:31 pm »

Pictures. I'll probably keep a log for myself of all the actions that I know about and every once in a while I might post an MSPaint picture illustrating it. That way we can avoid unintended paradoxes.
Don't die; it's bad for your health!

it happened it happened it happen im so hyped to actually get attacked now

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: July 31, 2017, 11:07:50 pm »

N-night 0? o_O

Wow this game started and I just scrolled down to the last page thinking weird whatevers happened :V

NOT JUST BECAUSE A STORM HIT in the last 5 days and caused power outages and otherwise. v:

But woo.

I'll be addressing the everything later on. Busy busy with today's busy! But assuming stuff from re-reading the OP for refreshers, TODAY people can pretty much act if it's a day stuffing :v

DA: Because I'm forgetful--hypothetically, can an action be pushed to N0?

Just to clear up probabilities.

It's the ol' fashioned game of Detective actually :3 We link people to people, and this game rather exemplifies the importance of knowing others' abilities moreso than their roles (because, for example, you investigated a dude--which is a pretty precise action specifically regardless of paradox or not {as paradox only seemingly matters in terms of defense or kill or redirect or otherwise}, and you got Mafia, so you know they're mafia but then you paradoxically died or paradoxically lived because of paradoxically blocked kill, so you know multiple things or at least infer them, but the certainty still remains)
Meaning the day game is just as good as the night, and people being lazy to play the daygame are still a norm suspicion :P

Also why'd you target 3 people...and then ask the same question to literally everyone else? o_O FoU

Hi guys let's be time travellers. Didn't think I would actually get into this game, so this is pretty neat. I forget like half of you though, so excuse me :l
CAAAAAAZ ♥
MISSED YOU :3

How will you sort out a paradox, and what is your impression of massclaiming in the context of this game?

I won't. I'll just play normally.

Also, perhaps we can skip the RVS? It rarely if ever results in anything.
DUN DUN O_O Someone really hinting they're excited for the KNIGHT! @_@

You didn't behave like that ever :O Suspicious!

And playing normally is dealing with it :P
What else do you see the usefulness of Day 1 as, when the next night or day doesn't particularly indicate as much in particular?
Teneb (Also would you prefer me calling you by your previous name or...?)

What do you think about an early massclaim :O

So you're claiming non-third party then, got it. I'm lost on the strawberry shake part though

Strawberry shakes are delish'.
Press the quote button instead of using italics. It's there for a purpose :P
And ask questions. Being idle and being passive isn't helpful.

BHK
Ignore them. It's out of my hands, so I'll just work with everyone and let whatever screwed action resolution eventually, well, resolve itself.

Fallacy - Answer your own question?
Everybody else - I suspect that the majority of town are very strong power roles, and the mafia have time manipulation to account for this. What are your theories about the game?
Roseheart - Strawberry shakes are horrendous.
*looks at own role*
Power is relative :V [/attractingheat]

I theorize that since this is the first ever instance of this game happening, DA is making it heavy-light; this means that this is convoluted enough to be fun, but also simple enough to be fun. :P

This RVS seems pretty light in particular, to be coincidental.
Do you feel it is better for you to focus on actions or behavior, BHK?

RoseHeart

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Forum Game Portfolio
« Reply #73 on: July 31, 2017, 11:24:51 pm »

Apparently highest poster is rarely scum.
Awesome With Autism

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: July 31, 2017, 11:27:26 pm »

Apparently highest poster is rarely scum.
NQT made it pretty much a point that the content matters rather than the quantity too :P That's the theme underlying all this, roseheart. So if you'd expect everyone else to work by 'apparentlies', I'd expect more than brevity and one liners from you, because people aren't easily so phased (or...lackingly invested).

What are you going to do with today?
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 18