Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Quick question concerning site edges.  (Read 1158 times)

triskaideka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Quick question concerning site edges.
« on: May 01, 2017, 04:56:55 pm »

You can't build constructions on the edge. BUT, you CAN mine to the edge, and build drawbridges to the edge.

My question is... Can you cast obsidian on the edge?

steel jackal

• Bay Watcher
  • [UNIQUE_DEMON]
    • View Profile
Re: Quick question concerning site edges.
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2017, 05:09:03 pm »

got me curious so i spawned some water and magma on the edge via DFhack, it worked.

i was able to create a rough obsidian wall at the edge of the map.

this has some very interesting implications regarding the spawning of creatures and warrants further research
i am a dwarf and im digging a hole, diggy diggy hole

my art: http://www.furaffinity.net/gallery/tylerrobotnik/

triskaideka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2017, 05:21:42 pm »

!!!

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2017, 02:16:31 am »

You can't dig out the edge tiles, but you can carve fortifications into them. You should also be able to make obsidian walls at the edge without cheating, as you can build floors all the way out, allowing you to synchronize the dumping of water and magma (and obsidianizing water edge tiles as part of securing caverns is standard practice for me).

People have already tried the effects of creature spawning and verified that what appears on the new, higher, edges matches the biome there (a bug in DF causes the standard biome of the "air" tiles to be that of the world tile to the north-west of the embark tile, not that of the embark tile itself, and a further bug causes biome "shears" to randomly appear in the air, where these shears are 16*16 tile areas with the biome of one of the 8 surrounding world tiles, or the biome of the embark world tile).

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2017, 01:20:13 pm »

Huh.  Science!
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.