Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Boredom  (Read 9447 times)

Inconspicuous

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Boredom
« on: April 23, 2017, 02:46:00 pm »

I've gotten really bored after fortress number 3. It's always the same: Build, retire, build, retire, etc. I've tried starting near goblins, near towers, but to no avail. So what am I supposed to do?
I know it's your opinion, but your opinion is just WRONG.
-Yahtzee

Ironfang

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats adopting dwarves isn't annoying, it's realism
    • View Profile
Re: Boredom
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2017, 03:29:59 pm »

I made a giant statue of a dog entirely out of dog soap.

It took nearly 10 years.
Human King: "So, how was your travel to dwarven lands?"
Human Diplomat: "Never piss off the dwarves, they have an army of hydras"

Dwarf Cook: "Another baby hydra meat roast coming up!"

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
  • You know me. What do I know?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2017, 04:18:26 pm »

Insane challenges?
Adventure mode?
Play something else for a bit and come back later?
Mods?
One wheel short of a wagon

Cathar

• Bay Watcher
  • Competent Engraver
    • View Profile
    • My shit
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2017, 04:26:53 pm »

Dig deeper. Much deeper.

Inconspicuous

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2017, 04:52:42 pm »

Cathar:
Yeah, that gets a little old after the first time, to be honest. I mean, I loved it the first time, but the wonder just wears off after that first time.
NJW2000:
1: Are there any starting scenario challenges?
2: What should I even do in adventure mode?
3: Like what? Any other free games like DF?
4: What mods?
-Yahtzee

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2017, 05:00:49 pm »

Go for a walk.
Read a book.
Meet other people.
Start a new hobby.

Not sure why you would persist with something that bores you. Let alone ask people in a fan forum for advice about it.

If you're really obsessed about making DF "interesting" though, lots of people move on to modding/tweaking to make more interesting worlds (that might not work though, as it tends to require some interest in the subject matter).
« Last Edit: April 23, 2017, 05:05:16 pm by Shonai_Dweller »

newtonsolo313

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2017, 05:20:17 pm »

Cathar:
Yeah, that gets a little old after the first time, to be honest. I mean, I loved it the first time, but the wonder just wears off after that first time.
NJW2000:
1: Are there any starting scenario challenges?
2: What should I even do in adventure mode?
3: Like what? Any other free games like DF?
4: What mods?
1. Glacier, ocean, evil biome, mega beast layer, take your pick
2. Murder
3. I dunno, maybe net hack but that's a very different game
4. Masterwork?

Cathar

• Bay Watcher
  • Competent Engraver
    • View Profile
    • My shit
« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2017, 05:23:18 pm »

What you can try : megaprojects (and share them) or succession games. Else if building stuff bores you, I concur with previous poster that maybe it's time for you to start a new game, and maybe come back later?

Maybe you're bored because there is no set goal in DF ; in that case it leaves you with two options ; setting one yourself, or playing with other people to set one. I started my game with the idea of following the development, survival, diplomacy and historyof one human civilization, through both fortress and adventure mod. Documenting everything happening and witnessing the struggles of individuals through their hard time will likely not bore me anytime soon. Maybe write a story on your achievments?

Else I don't know what anyone could tell you, we don't know what you like, or what you're expecting

snow dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Is always cold
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2017, 07:44:41 am »

I personally just play in a succession game and it pulls me in to the point that I want to play and I do, otherwise I play CDDA. Getting "pulled in" always solves my problem of getting bored with DF.
Here at Bay12 we excel at Theoretical Biology. Need to know the value of Merbone? Check. Need to know the density of a thrown Fluffy Wambler? Check. Need to know how a walking Mushroom can theoretically talk? Check.

Foxite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2017, 03:47:29 pm »

Go for a walk.
Read a book.
Meet other people.
Start a new hobby.
The popular mobile game Ingress can cover three of those. It's like pokemon go, except it's better and the fanbase isn't a toxic steaming pile of poop.
The best way to demonstrate it to him is take a save of 40 year old fortress with 150 dwarves in it on a good sized embark with a volcano that just breached the circus and install it on his gaming rig and watch it bring his rig to its knees.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 24, 2017, 04:00:16 pm »

I recommend a megaproject or themed fort.

For instance I am currently running a fort in which everything is a tavern or bar. Each room dedicated to a specific function must have at the very least a wet bar.

I am eager to see where it goes.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

Rusty Shackleford

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 24, 2017, 04:18:49 pm »

Yeah you have to make goals.

My current project is in a pocket world with high site cap, which tends to result in goblins genociding everyone on the island. I started at year 42 and now seeing how safe and civilized I can make it by building a fort to equip adventurers then killing everything dangerous with said adventurer then another fort with 7 dwarf monks recording history with books, run it a long time with high fps, retire that fort and seeing how history progressed.

Then going from there. I like the possibilities from playing in all three gameplay modes.

anewaname

• Bay Watcher
  • The mattock... My choice for problem solving.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 24, 2017, 04:48:49 pm »

Figure out what it is that is leading up to the "I'm bored" status.

I found that when I have iron ore on an embark, I get bored fast, because trading becomes a chore and the production of iron/steel gear brings migrants in droves. So I avoid those iron ore embarks and play on the exciting "overlapping evil biome" embarks where having a population of 80 usually means another 80 died already, and every migrant wave you receive says "migrants arrived despite the danger".
How did I manage to successfully apply the lessons of The Screwtape Letters to my perceptions of big grocery stores?

Inconspicuous

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 25, 2017, 06:50:02 pm »

What leads up to it is that literally nothing happens. I'm lucky if I get a kobold thief, and only once have I ever gotten a vampire or were-beast. Never have I ever gotten a single goblin siege. Or any siege, for that matter. The circus (I believe that's the spoiler term everyone's using right now) was fun and exciting, even if I was getting totally destroyed. Combat in the caverns with forgotten beasts was tons of fun, even more so when I got to fight back in one last stand. Basically, I like dwarf fortress, I love the stories it creates, but I never get anything to actually create a story with. All my forts follow an identical pattern: Dig rooms, dig shops, dig mines, get rich, become invincible. Seriously, how do all your dwarves go crazy? How do you get attacked by were-beasts and elves and who knows what else? How?

(TL;DR: I would like to attract more sieges and other fun things)
-Yahtzee

Inconspicuous

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 25, 2017, 06:54:13 pm »

By the way, I think the goals part is another thing I keep forgetting to do. I was taught by the Wikipedia tutorial to play it safe, so it's what I did. I'll try setting a goal this time.
-Yahtzee
Pages: [1] 2 3