Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Ballista discussion/experimentation/stuff. (Is this the right place?)  (Read 4118 times)

speciesunkn0wn

• Bay Watcher
  • The Stars Are Bold
    • View Profile

So I reaaaaally liked ballista since I first used them (but have never since been able to have a fort go long enough that I could build more. :/), and then I used copper tipped ballista bolts. After seeing the 'crossbow bolt material' discussion thingy, it was determined that silver makes the best bolts. I think that would transfer over to ballistas, right? So depending on how long my current fortress goes, I plan to make a testing room or something to see what metal makes the best bolt tips. If anyone else wants to try a more detailed analysis than 'shoot a ballista five times at some poor sap I've burrowed to be in the path, rinse, repeat' I'd appreciate it. XD My biggest problem is probably going to be getting enough candy for some tips as well as other stuff...
DF Veterans- n. - One who has lost one or more forts due to a stupid oversight.

Morality is relative,/Puppies are cheap,/Dwarves are zealots of,/A place that creeps and leaks,/where oversears send them to die,/so we may feast on their on their sorrow,/as we chew on their marrow
Just never forget,/That Bloodyhells is always a threat.

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
Re: Ballista discussion/experimentation/stuff. (Is this the right place?)
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2017, 06:06:52 am »

Silver for bolts is outdated after nerf. Sharpness is now very important for piercing armor.
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

speciesunkn0wn

• Bay Watcher
  • The Stars Are Bold
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2017, 03:50:50 pm »

Silver for bolts is outdated after nerf. Sharpness is now very important for piercing armor.

They don't do blunt damage anymore?

Morality is relative,/Puppies are cheap,/Dwarves are zealots of,/A place that creeps and leaks,/where oversears send them to die,/so we may feast on their on their sorrow,/as we chew on their marrow

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2017, 12:05:57 am »

Ballista arrows were changed to edged damage in 40.15.

Also, goblins have been fixed to actually bring complete sets of armor.

I'm pretty sure the projectiles can be swatted out of the air, too. (Or at least Clowns can do it.)
« Last Edit: April 26, 2017, 12:25:13 am by Bumber »
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

speciesunkn0wn

• Bay Watcher
  • The Stars Are Bold
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2017, 05:06:00 am »

Ballista arrows were changed to edged damage in 40.15.

Also, goblins have been fixed to actually bring complete sets of armor.

I'm pretty sure the projectiles can be swatted out of the air, too. (Or at least Clowns can do it.)

OOOOH. Ok. Ballista arrows. Alright. Steel tips it is when I'm able to make steel. Also, armor doesn't help protect you from a metal tipped ballista. Copper lets you blow through a few gobbos.

Melting Sky

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2017, 11:08:40 pm »

I recommend using dense varieties of wood to make the ballista projectiles.

Immortal-D

• Bay Watcher
  • [Not_A_Tree]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2017, 05:29:58 pm »

Assuming this is still going on, I have a project for you (or anyone really).  Build the arrow out of nethercap and set it on fire.

bloop_bleep

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2017, 06:32:46 pm »

Hmm. Unless dwarves will load !!nethercap ballista arrow!!s, I can't think of any way to do this other than shooting it through a magmafall, if that works.
Quote from: KittyTac
The closest thing Bay12 has to a flamewar is an argument over philosophy that slowly transitioned to an argument about quantum mechanics.
Quote from: thefriendlyhacker
The trick is to only make predictions semi-seriously.  That way, I don't have a 98% failure rate. I have a 98% sarcasm rate.

Insert_Gnome_Here

• Bay Watcher
  • Dosen't really care about anything anymore.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2017, 06:48:32 pm »

Dwarves aren't good at recognising that things are on fire, so it should be fine. You'll have to find a way to prevent the dwarf from dying, though.
Quote from: Max™ on December 06, 2015, 04:09:21 am
Also, if you ever figure out why poets/bards/dancers just randomly start butchering people/getting butchered, please don't fix it, I love never knowing when a dance party will turn into a slaughter.

Immortal-D

• Bay Watcher
  • [Not_A_Tree]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2017, 11:37:25 pm »

I imagine the best way would be to have a magma source either above or aside an already loaded ballista.  Course, this would set the ballista itself alight, in addition to the arrow.  Hmm...  the pieces are all there.  I'll come back to this in the morning.

bloop_bleep

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 30, 2017, 12:03:48 am »

You'll have to find a way to prevent the dwarf from dying, though.
Give him full steel armor?
Quote from: KittyTac
The closest thing Bay12 has to a flamewar is an argument over philosophy that slowly transitioned to an argument about quantum mechanics.
Quote from: thefriendlyhacker
The trick is to only make predictions semi-seriously.  That way, I don't have a 98% failure rate. I have a 98% sarcasm rate.

Staalo

• Bay Watcher
  • It's all for the betterment of Dwarfkind - honest!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 30, 2017, 03:47:41 am »

Interesting thread. I had couple ballistas firing non-stop into a room full of citizens, as a part of civilian training project I had going on in few forts.

It turns out dwarves can just bounce ballista bolts off their skins, given enough Dodge and Armor user training beforehand. That sort of put me off of ballistas and their usefulness. What good they would be against an armored goblin horde if even mere peasants and children would disregard them completely?

Now, flaming ballista bolts, that's different... hmmm...
Kasmko Taldequihu, Human Criminal corrupted zombie is visiting.
Mong Todsporro, Human Criminal death zombie is visiting.

Uhhh... welcome?

Insert_Gnome_Here

• Bay Watcher
  • Dosen't really care about anything anymore.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 30, 2017, 06:58:46 am »

were these wooden or metal tipped bolts?
Quote from: Max™ on December 06, 2015, 04:09:21 am
Also, if you ever figure out why poets/bards/dancers just randomly start butchering people/getting butchered, please don't fix it, I love never knowing when a dance party will turn into a slaughter.

Staalo

• Bay Watcher
  • It's all for the betterment of Dwarfkind - honest!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 30, 2017, 02:34:42 pm »

I think there were both wooden and copper-tipped bolts; I was trying to train my dwarves without killing them outright. Still, I was somewhat surprised to have an object with size and speed of a ballista missile just bruising skin whenever there was a hit.
Kasmko Taldequihu, Human Criminal corrupted zombie is visiting.
Mong Todsporro, Human Criminal death zombie is visiting.

Uhhh... welcome?

speciesunkn0wn

• Bay Watcher
  • The Stars Are Bold
    • View Profile

I think there were both wooden and copper-tipped bolts; I was trying to train my dwarves without killing them outright. Still, I was somewhat surprised to have an object with size and speed of a ballista missile just bruising skin whenever there was a hit.

Odd. I've had copper tipped bolts smash through iron armored gobbos.

Pages: [1] 2 3