Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Narrated Announcements  (Read 653 times)

Trench Dog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Voice Acting Samples and other things, check out my soundcloud too!
Narrated Announcements
« on: April 24, 2017, 06:31:05 am »

I think that having announcements with a voice over could be cool, sort of when the whole message "A vile force of darkness has arrived!" Could have a proper voice over, and other such things such as "An expansive cavern has been discovered" and other such things.

I offer to do the narrations myself as to solve the question of "who would do these narrations/where would Toady and ThreeToe find a voice actor?"

And as an option, one can toggle the voice overs on and off. So if you don't want to hear it, you don't have to. Maybe even have it with where you can select your narrator as well, having various voices to choose from.

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
  • You know me. What do I know?
    • View Profile
Re: Narrated Announcements
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2017, 06:57:13 am »

Ptw mainly. This would be cool.

Something similar had been done for older versions is being done, but not I think with professional voice acting. A mod/extra program that played sound files according to announcements. I see no reason why it should not be revived, given a good sound manipulator(?), someone willing to record their voice, and someone able to code it.*

Sadly, I doubt Toady and Threetoe would add this to the main game- they don't seem particularly interested in the audio dimension of DF.

*Disclaimer: I am none of the above.

EDIT: didn't see that you'd already seen this.

« Last Edit: April 24, 2017, 07:02:53 am by NJW2000 »
One wheel short of a wagon

Witty

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2017, 10:08:47 am »

Although OP has volunteered themselves, Toady did do some voice work for Kobold Quest.

I have this soundbite in my head now of Toady chastising the player for a goblin siege. "A vile force of darkness has arrived! Huh, not looking so good now, is it?"

As for the suggestion itself, I'm going to have to agree with NJW. Toady doesn't particularly care for this aspect of DF, and modders have/are doing something similar anyway.
Quote from: Toady One
I understand that it is disappointing when a dwarf makes a spiked loincloth instead of an axe.

Trench Dog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2017, 01:51:25 pm »

Well, whomever wishes to approach me with it, whether it be modders or the two brothers themselves, I am happy to lend my professional talents. I love this lil gem of a masochistic game and I'd be happy to provide my vocal talents to flesh out projects and give a bit more oomph to the game.

To clarify, I have an audio technica 4040 microphone, a scarlett 2i2 focusrite audio interface, a 160 cm wide by 2 meter tall audio recording booth that has audio foam paneling/soundproofing and a stand with a pop filter. I've voiced in projects such as New World Interactive's Day of Infamy, Warfare Online by ConArtist's games, Ravandil series by Karl the Deranged, Alfabusa's Emperor Text to Speech program and hundreds of other projects over the course of my 5 year and ongoing voice acting career.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2017, 01:56:49 pm by Trench Dog »

Timeless Bob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2017, 06:11:10 pm »

Well then, please volunteer your voice talents to the Soundsense archive.  It's usually bundled with the Lazy Newb Pack, and I use it often for my forts.
L33tsp34k does to English what Picasso did to faces.

Dwarfopoly
The Luckiest Tourist EVER
Bloodlines of the Forii

Trench Dog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2017, 03:00:08 am »

Well then, please volunteer your voice talents to the Soundsense archive.  It's usually bundled with the Lazy Newb Pack, and I use it often for my forts.

Will do. I posted in their thread, they just need to respond to me is all with what they want.