Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: What's the deal with all the weird metals?  (Read 820 times)

Elendil

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
What's the deal with all the weird metals?
« on: May 02, 2017, 08:28:38 am »

What are the various metal types such as "burning metal" "shining metal" etc. listed in the Metal Smith's build menu? I can't find anything in the Wiki about this.

Rusty Shackleford

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's the deal with all the weird metals?
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2017, 08:34:35 am »

They are 'divine' metals created by gods. They all have the same physical properties (divine metals being physically somewhat superior to steel), the descriptor depending on the gods thematic sphere. So burning metal comes from a god associated with fire, ect.

You will only ever really see it if you explore a vault in adventure mode.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2017, 09:11:35 am by Rusty Shackleford »

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2017, 12:09:03 pm »

Elven caravans are said to sometimes bring music instrument string made out of divine materials. The only odd strings I've found have all been divine cloth, though.

Fearless Son

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2017, 07:05:00 pm »

Elven caravans are said to sometimes bring music instrument string made out of divine materials. The only odd strings I've found have all been divine cloth, though.
Oh my Armok, elfen caravans finally have a use!  If you can get enough of their divine instruments, maybe they could be rendered down and reforged into arms and armor. 

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2017, 02:08:49 am »

I don't think you can take apart instruments, but they do sell otherwise useless instrument pieces, such as strings, which might be possible to melt down when made of metal (I haven't tried as I haven't found any divine metal strings, just silk ones). Instrument pieces are useless in themselves as there's no way to acquire the knowledge of how to put the instrument together (unless you get the pieces from the dwarven caravan, of course).