Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Academagia Steam release.  (Read 1273 times)

woosholay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Academagia Steam release.
« on: April 25, 2017, 04:59:09 am »

http://store.steampowered.com/app/533480/

Took em long enough, still one of the best CYOA games out there though. Plenty of skills, events, interactions, spells, choices and other things to do. While being thematically close to Harry Potter it has much lighter and homely feel to it, more in the vein of stuff that Jim Henson (Labyrinth and the like) used to do.

The only thing you should before going in is that you can resize and drag parts of UI the same way you do it in OS and you can increase font size by tapping + on the numpad.

Shadowgandor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Academagia Steam release.
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2017, 07:29:58 am »

I remember buying this in 2008 or something and it only had the first year. It was pretty cool, but after 3 years of development it still only had DLC for the first year. Is it fully done now?

AlStar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2017, 07:40:10 am »

I remember buying this in 2008 or something and it only had the first year. It was pretty cool, but after 3 years of development it still only had DLC for the first year. Is it fully done now?
Haven't played the game, but from reading the reviews it looks like year 2 is coming "soon" ... but don't count on it.

That said, this looks like something that could totally be up my alley - although I've got enough of a backlog to wait and see if it gets a good sale price before diving in.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2017, 07:42:00 am by AlStar »

woosholay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2017, 08:40:56 am »

Still first year, with free DLCs baked in that came out during that period (new events, adventures and whatnot). Year2 is in development afaik, but it took a while to get the game out on steam, so I wouldn't hold my breath (however if it sells well it might speed up the dev process, since it's just a small team working on it on their spare time).
« Last Edit: April 25, 2017, 08:42:40 am by woosholay »

woosholay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2017, 08:41:24 am »

accidental double post, where's delete button at?

Shadowgandor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2017, 09:51:22 am »

If year 2 still hasn't been released yet, I do NOT recommend buying this. It's a nice CYOA game, but a bit short for the price and when I bought it fresh around 2008, the developer said he was wrapping up Year 2. If interested in this type of game, try the games at www.choiceofgames.com. There's tons of games on there with better story and cost less as well. Don't get me wrong it's not a bad game, but the end of year 1 makes you long for the next year as things seem to be getting interesting, but there's still no year 2 after 8-9 years of (part-time) development.

woosholay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2017, 10:09:39 am »

Year 2 is going to be a standalone game anyway (with an option to carry over saves from the first year). Besides it has much more content (not just interaction, but actual game mechanics) and arguably as good (or better) writing than CoG games (Tin Star was good though, but it was a hosted game, not made by CoG people). Not trying to knock choiceofgames or anything, they'v made a lot of good stuff as well (choice of robots was pretty neat). I like CYOAs quite a bit and while KoDP reigns supreme in my personal rankings, Academagia has been stuck in 2nd place for quite some time now, so take it as you will.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2017, 11:55:17 am by woosholay »

deoloth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2017, 11:31:27 am »

God, I bought this on Impulse way back before Gamestop bought it and butchered it.

Going to pick it up later on steam and see if it is as good as I remember.

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2017, 12:27:26 pm »

'Year 2' has been years in the making.  Don't hold your breath. 

On the same note, this does have a huge load of err... paths/possibilities.  And they just kept adding to it with the DLC. 
Which probably makes Year 2 a freaking nightmare to develop if they want to 'do it right', make most of the things matter/carry over.
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2017, 04:00:50 pm »

Without year 2 and 3... there is no point in buying it personally...

Year 1 isn't a complete game on its own... it is just an extra long demo.

Mipe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 01, 2017, 12:30:15 pm »

"Yer a wizard, Urist!"

"Sweet! Accio sock!"