Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Human squad members are fighting  (Read 772 times)

Foxite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Human squad members are fighting
« on: April 25, 2017, 12:29:51 pm »

So I got these two mercenaries that should be sparring, but rather they are fighting, seemingly non-lethal.

Why? How do I stop them?

Update: They're now fighting lethally. I'm letting them fight this out and executing the victor.

Update two: I managed to seperate them by stationing both of them away from each other; they're now in the hospital... right next to each other.

Update three: After examining the gamelog, it seems one of the combatants got angry over being in an argument with the other. This would have been understandable for goblins, but I haven't seen that before in humans.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2017, 12:39:57 pm by latias1290 »
The best way to demonstrate it to him is take a save of 40 year old fortress with 150 dwarves in it on a good sized embark with a volcano that just breached the circus and install it on his gaming rig and watch it bring his rig to its knees.

duckman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Human squad members are fighting
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2017, 04:59:31 pm »

Humans have no defined ranges for personalities in the raws, so the default 0 to 100, with 50 as the midpoint, values are used. You just happened to get a particularly violent human.

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2017, 10:02:19 pm »

Even dwarves argue and fight each other at times, especially at the tavern. It's just that goblins are more likely to as their values are weighted more towards arguing, fighting and trouble-making.

Humans arguing and killing each other shouldn't be a surprise. Don't you watch the news?

Foxite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2017, 03:07:09 am »

The wiki mentions that Goblin ethics dictate that arguments escalate into lethal fights. If a Goblin started an argument, he would start fighting - dwarves argue all the time, I noticed that too, as I constantly see combat reports of random dwarves becoming enraged. I haven't seen them actually fighting over it, though.
The best way to demonstrate it to him is take a save of 40 year old fortress with 150 dwarves in it on a good sized embark with a volcano that just breached the circus and install it on his gaming rig and watch it bring his rig to its knees.

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2017, 03:38:24 am »

Ethics aren't values. Ethics are specifically civ related. Your goblins aren't goblin civ goblins.

I've seen dorfs (at non-lethal stress levels) fight and injure one another after arguing. Doesn't happen often, and generally doesn't escalate to lethal levels.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2017, 03:41:51 am by Shonai_Dweller »

StagnantSoul

• Bay Watcher
  • "Player has withdrawn from society!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2017, 04:29:21 am »

I've seen my king kill one of his sunjects in an argument, crushed his skull with the bull totem he was carrying.
Quote from: Cptn Kaladin Anrizlokum
I threw night creature blood into a night creature's heart and she pulled it out and bled to death.
Quote from: Eric Blank
Places to jibber madly at each other, got it
Quote from: NJW2000
If any of them are made of fire, throw stuff, run, and think non-flammable thoughts.

Skorpion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2017, 11:04:38 am »

If they insist on acting like children, treat them as such. Keep them separated?
The *large serrated steel disk* strikes the Raven in the head, tearing apart the muscle, shattering the skull, and tearing apart the brain!
A tendon in the skull has been torn!
The Raven has been knocked unconcious!

Elves do it in trees. Humans do it in wooden structures. Dwarves? Dwarves do it underground. With magma.

azrael4h

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Dwarf Fortress-centric You Tube videos, part of my nominally vintage gaming channel.
« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2017, 11:26:45 pm »

If they insist on acting like children, treat them as such. Keep them separated?

Strip them naked and have them wrestle each other in the arena.