Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Wanted: an emptier tavern  (Read 2872 times)

Lozzymandias

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Wanted: an emptier tavern
« on: April 25, 2017, 12:32:38 pm »

They're all here! Apparently they don't have any homes to go to! Troupes turn up, mass petition to stay in the fortress, get turned down and then they stay! Bards come wandering into the tavern and just hang around, eating framerates, getting into arguments with my one goblin poet and drinking all the beer! I appreciate the map is covered in filthy muck that causes full body blistering and the only safe place is this side of the dwarven shower, but come on guys, get some real jobs, preferrably elsewhere. I could solve the problem with a few squad orders or an "unfortunate accident" with an zombie cave dragon, but that feels like an excessively brutal solution, with the possibly to backfire.

Perhaps the game is trying to teach me a valuable lesson about turning down able bodied immigrants in hostile situations...
"Come on, you sons of elves, do you want to live forever?"

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
Re: Wanted: an emptier tavern
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2017, 01:10:14 pm »

I could solve the problem with a few squad orders or an "unfortunate accident" with an zombie cave dragon, but that feels like an excessively simple and efficient solution, with no chance of side effects.

Burn em'.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

Lozzymandias

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2017, 01:44:52 pm »

Burn em'.

That is all I could see

C'mon man, there must be some bloodless solution
"Come on, you sons of elves, do you want to live forever?"

oldmansutton

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2017, 03:46:23 pm »

Burn em'.

That is all I could see

C'mon man, there must be some bloodless solution

Drowning?  Sorry, I couldn't resist.  Would removing the various locations mean they now had nowhere to hang out, and would then mosey along?  Of course, then you're left with NO tavern, but...
« Last Edit: April 25, 2017, 03:48:06 pm by oldmansutton »
I suggest using kilokittens. As cats are 10X the volume of kittens. That way, 50 cats would be .5 kilokittens.

100 cats would be 1 kilokitten.

escondida

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2017, 03:54:25 pm »

I can say from recent experience--resorting to slaying over a hundred human visitors--that it won't help. They'll just come visit just as fast as you knock the old visitors down. As far as I can tell, it's hopeless: you either do without a tavern or put up with far, far too many visitors.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2017, 04:14:25 pm »

Place a visitors only tavern out in the middle of the wilderness surrounding your fort. Alternatively, make the entire floor of the place a retracting bridge over a pit of death, preferably a volcano. You could even link it to a pressure plate for auto-disposal.

There is no way to get rid of those people without murder. If it bothers you, put out a no trespassing sign. Then it's their fault.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."

Killgoth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2017, 04:31:49 pm »

Install about 10 bartenders and 10 performers. This will end anyone without a truly dwarven constitution and be entirely bloodless (although there will be massive amounts of vomit).

Ironfang

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats adopting dwarves isn't annoying, it's realism
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2017, 05:00:27 pm »

I made by deadbeats into Uristnauts.

One human lady managed to get scraped by the sky.
Human King: "So, how was your travel to dwarven lands?"
Human Diplomat: "Never piss off the dwarves, they have an army of hydras"

Dwarf Cook: "Another baby hydra meat roast coming up!"

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2017, 05:02:57 pm »

You can change your tavern to a citizen or citizen+resident only one. That will stop the influx. A year ago or so I asked the same question: how to get rid of over staying visitors without murder, and received the same bunch of stupid answers on how to murder them.
Getting rid of visitors peacefully is hard. Closing the tavern (and library and temple) will, very slowly, cause visitors to drift away, but you've probably got bugged ones that doesn't socialize, but just wander around with "no job", and they'll stay. After 2-3 years you'll mostly have over stayers left.

I've had some success getting rid of over stayers and tavern visitors, once the tavern was closed, using this DFHack script
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
However, I don't know if the script causes the visitors to be bugged in the world as a result.

steel jackal

• Bay Watcher
  • [UNIQUE_DEMON]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2017, 05:18:30 pm »

I can say from recent experience--resorting to slaying over a hundred human visitors--that it won't help. They'll just come visit just as fast as you knock the old visitors down. As far as I can tell, it's hopeless: you either do without a tavern or put up with far, far too many visitors.

this seems like a good thing, infinite fodder to train your soldiers with sounds like a plus.
i am a dwarf and im digging a hole, diggy diggy hole

my art: http://www.furaffinity.net/gallery/tylerrobotnik/

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 25, 2017, 08:36:54 pm »

this seems like a good thing, infinite fodder to train your soldiers with sounds like a plus.

Recommend an auto-disposal system. Make a tavern for visitors only, make it the ONLY tavern for visitors only, and make the floor retractable over some kind of guaranteed doom-pit. Hook said floor to a sometimes-used corridor in your main fort with a pressure plate.

Don't visitors have to actually come from somewhere now? Won't you eventually run out of visitors?

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 26, 2017, 02:59:12 am »

You can't make a visitors only tavern. The settings are: restricted to citizens only, citizens and residents only, and open for all.

Placing a "visitors'" tavern out of the way with a "real" one for residents and citizens in the center doesn't work, as there's a steady trickle of citizens to the "visitors'" tavern anyway (I've tried). The thing I didn't try was a civilian alert, which might work (given how badly need satisfaction interacts with regular burrows I wouldn't bet anything on it, though).

It seems civs need to reach some kind of critical mass to generate visitors, so if you're in a situation where you receive fewer than your visitor cap you might eventually reduce the flow a little through systematic murder, but visitors are brainless and come regardless of sieges and past visitor slaughters (unlike migrants), but they're also visiting all the visitable places in the world, so you're thinning that large pool, not only some slice that might have been dedicated to your fortress.

Staalo

• Bay Watcher
  • It's all for the betterment of Dwarfkind - honest!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 26, 2017, 03:45:52 am »

Like others said, murder is probably the only option since visitor processing always tends to get stuck at some point. I think there was a bug report about it.

However, before you go and send in the squads/magma/undead, be sure to either reduce visitor cap or restrict the tavern for citizens/long term residents only. Sometimes it seems there are hordes of visitors hovering just outside the map border, ready to rush in the very second the visitor count falls below the visitor cap.

You can't make a visitors only tavern. The settings are: restricted to citizens only, citizens and residents only, and open for all.

True, however you can make a tavern free for all and then forbid citizens from entering with a civilian alert burrow.
Kasmko Taldequihu, Human Criminal corrupted zombie is visiting.
Mong Todsporro, Human Criminal death zombie is visiting.

Uhhh... welcome?

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 26, 2017, 03:49:23 am »

I used to dislike the hundreds of visitors cluttering up my tavern. Then one day I was checking out what one of my retired fortresses was up to. They'd survived a 2000 goblin siege apparently. 75% of the 'useless' mercs died and no dorfs. So they're not completely useless!

mikekchar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 26, 2017, 06:42:59 am »

Burrows definitely work.  The problem is that you now have to manage the burrows, which is a PITA.  I'm also not sure what the intent would be to have a visitor's only tavern.  You still have lots of visitors eating up FPS and allowing vampires to visit.
Pages: [1] 2 3