Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Wanted: an emptier tavern  (Read 2882 times)

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Wanted: an emptier tavern
« Reply #15 on: April 26, 2017, 08:37:38 am »

When I tried to make a visitors only tavern I also tried to make a vampire detector that would work contrary to at least 95% of all advice, i.e. it was intended to capture/detain/kill vampires only and leave other visitors unharmed and without manual reset intervention for each non vampire (manual handling of vampires, once caught, was deemed OK). Both tasks failed.
What I wanted was a visitors only tavern with automatic screening of everyone leaving the tavern to go to the fortress itself, with potential visitor weres messing up visitors, not valuable fortress members. Another potential use for a visitors only tavern is to use it for Visitite mining, but that would require the horrible task of using ordinary burrows to separate the poison distributors from the rest of the fortress' population.
Visitors, in my view, is the undesired by-product of the process of acquiring scholar and worker (a.k.a. performer) petitioners->citizens to broaden the racial assets available to the fortress. Also, I consider visiting scholars to be valuable, despite their kleptomania. To a very small extent visitors might provide some cultural influx, such as new poems/songs/dances... Some people (but I don't know about dorfs) may find it somewhat tiresome to hear "Raw Hide" for the 21:st time in the row.

Skorpion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 26, 2017, 08:49:38 am »

Burn em'.

That is all I could see

C'mon man, there must be some bloodless solution

Magma is bloodless! No stains, no residue, not even any bodies to clear up!
The *large serrated steel disk* strikes the Raven in the head, tearing apart the muscle, shattering the skull, and tearing apart the brain!
A tendon in the skull has been torn!
The Raven has been knocked unconcious!

Elves do it in trees. Humans do it in wooden structures. Dwarves? Dwarves do it underground. With magma.

bloop_bleep

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 26, 2017, 01:37:09 pm »

I'm also not sure what the intent would be to have a visitor's only tavern.  You still have lots of visitors eating up FPS and allowing vampires to visit.
The point is to separate the visitors from the citizens so that when you open the death trap it only kills the former.
Quote from: KittyTac
The closest thing Bay12 has to a flamewar is an argument over philosophy that slowly transitioned to an argument about quantum mechanics.
Quote from: thefriendlyhacker
The trick is to only make predictions semi-seriously.  That way, I don't have a 98% failure rate. I have a 98% sarcasm rate.

Ironfang

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats adopting dwarves isn't annoying, it's realism
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 27, 2017, 06:02:51 am »

I just assigned meeting a area on a bridge after disallowing visitors. I now have a lot of statues of people getting crushed by bridges.

You can also use the same principle as a way to guard against megabeasts.
Human King: "So, how was your travel to dwarven lands?"
Human Diplomat: "Never piss off the dwarves, they have an army of hydras"

Dwarf Cook: "Another baby hydra meat roast coming up!"

Witty

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 27, 2017, 03:08:30 pm »

You can also set the visitor cap in the d_init.txt.
Quote from: Toady One
I understand that it is disappointing when a dwarf makes a spiked loincloth instead of an axe.

escondida

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 27, 2017, 09:46:03 pm »

I can say from recent experience--resorting to slaying over a hundred human visitors--that it won't help. They'll just come visit just as fast as you knock the old visitors down. As far as I can tell, it's hopeless: you either do without a tavern or put up with far, far too many visitors.

this seems like a good thing, infinite fodder to train your soldiers with sounds like a plus.

Well, one good thing did come of it: my whole military no longer cares about much of anything anymore, and quite a lot of the fortress at large is sitting at either "getting used to tragedy" or "hardened individual". I may have to purge the current human population hanging out in the tavern just to get more people hardened against tragedy...

Pirate Santa

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST_EATER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 27, 2017, 09:49:20 pm »

I made by deadbeats into Uristnauts.

One human lady managed to get scraped by the sky.
Wait what? Is the top of the map a solid object or something?
Welcome to Dwarf Fortress. Where peaceful death of old age is something nobody sees coming.
it turns out Dog Bone Doctors aren't very good at doctoring.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 28, 2017, 01:34:16 pm »

I can say from recent experience--resorting to slaying over a hundred human visitors--that it won't help. They'll just come visit just as fast as you knock the old visitors down. As far as I can tell, it's hopeless: you either do without a tavern or put up with far, far too many visitors.
this seems like a good thing, infinite fodder to train your soldiers with sounds like a plus.
Well, one good thing did come of it: my whole military no longer cares about much of anything anymore, and quite a lot of the fortress at large is sitting at either "getting used to tragedy" or "hardened individual". I may have to purge the current human population hanging out in the tavern just to get more people hardened against tragedy...

BAM. BENEFIT!

FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

Lozzymandias

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 29, 2017, 11:16:13 am »

So i decided to go with the consensus and set the military on them. Call it closing time.

My military are mostly mercenaries (humans are bigger and stronger than dwarves). Mercenarys retain some alliegances (apparently) when they sign on. That can provoke conflict between them and other military members

I knew this would backfire somehow...

Lets see if we can make the visitor only tavern, with some zombie cave dragon light entertainment, Patriks difficulties notwithstanding. Patrik, got ideas?
"Come on, you sons of elves, do you want to live forever?"

Lozzymandias

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 29, 2017, 12:43:11 pm »

Errrrm. Patrik, you were having some difficulties creating a visitor only tavern. Why not just make one tavern that everyone can access and then just put it outside of any of the burrows you might be using? aside from the odd off duty soldier (which frankly is probably a good thing to have around your vampire hotspots) such a tavern will be (and is in my case) empty of long term residents and citizens?

Lozzymandias

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 29, 2017, 02:10:44 pm »

It is done! They were thirsty so i gave them something to drink. A lot to drink. It would appear there were no vampires among them...

The moment they leave however

"The Incense of Amusement a performance troupe is visiting"

Armok is testing me.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 29, 2017, 02:12:10 pm »

The real incense of amusement is the smell of hot magma.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

newtonsolo313

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 29, 2017, 06:54:01 pm »

Give them a carnival to perform in.
A roman carnival.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Thisfox

• Bay Watcher
  • Vixen.
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 29, 2017, 07:00:13 pm »

It is done! They were thirsty so i gave them something to drink. A lot to drink. It would appear there were no vampires among them...

If someone else was a bartender, and handed the vampire a drink, the vampire would apparently drink it, according to what I've read so far.... I've given up on taverns, myself. A meeting hall around a set of tables, with a mug stockpile and a booze stockpile, is enough for my dorfs.
Mules gotta spleen. Dwarfs gotta eat.
Thisfox likes aquifers, olivine, Forgotten Beasts for their imagination, & dorfs for their stupidity. She prefers to consume gin & tonic. She absolutely detests Facebook.
"Urist McMason died out of pure spite to make you wonder why he was suddenly dead"
Oh god... Plump Helmet Man Mimes!

Lozzymandias

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 29, 2017, 07:09:45 pm »

If someone else was a bartender, and handed the vampire a drink, the vampire would apparently drink it, according to what I've read so far.... I've given up on taverns, myself. A meeting hall around a set of tables, with a mug stockpile and a booze stockpile, is enough for my dorfs.

I think you misinterpret what I mean by "lots to drink"

My map has aquifers. Vampires do many things but they don't drown, and the "lots to drink" plan was successful with no survivors.

I use taverns but i don't assign bartenders. My map is reanimating and unsupervised alcohol corpses tend to multiply.
Pages: 1 [2] 3