Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 66 67 [68] 69 70 ... 203

Author Topic: Cabal: Wizard Open World Game  (Read 342980 times)

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
Re: Cabal: Wizard Open World Game
« Reply #1005 on: July 07, 2018, 02:26:18 pm »

Alright.

And ok. Lets just skip intros and getting ready and such and go go go.

You're in the arena; dirt floor, circular rise of seating, not so great crowd, etc. You're wearing your chosen gear, bladed gauntlet, padded coat, metal helmet, across from you is a stringy man in a cloth wrap with a wooden greatshield and spear.  He's planted the shield and seems to be intent on waiting for you to come to him.

Ah, sorry. Looks we had a bit of a miscommunication here. Mea Culpa. I meant skip ahead to the time the fight was supposed to start, since it was probably still several hours/days off from where we were at. I absolutely want to do showboasty intros. Can't very not showboast a bit with a stage name like mine.

Spoiler:  Écalir Speedwagon (click to show/hide)

Alright. Well there aren't a lot in the way of showboaty intros for the moment. You're just in a qualifying match after all. The stadium is at a massive 20% capacity at the moment with just scattered people hanging around, probably making low level bets or gathering info for later.  The announcer, a man with a big cone held up to his face to amplify his voice,  shouts your name as well as the name of your opponent as you both walk out. Your name draws some chuckles and some jeers, along with a handful of boos while your opponent gets what is, at best a polite round of applause.  You need to get some fans and some pomp and circumstance to get really flamboyant. You do your best by performing various JoJo poses and playing it up for the crowd [7v6] The crowd seems to go along with it pretty well and you drag some more applause out of them.

Now, if you'd like to fight, pokey boy is waiting.

If not, go look around the markets a bit. Looking for any magical artifacts (weapons have low priority, we have enough weapons for the both of us) or things like scrolls of ancient lore or treasure maps or something. 

Do this thing.

Secondly, could I make a simple sort of bomb assembly that works by using a small hammer to smash a glass bottle? Inside this glass bottle could then be quite some thaum, which will make contact with some burning imp fat after the bottle gets smashed. This would presumably then produce a large explosion. Alternatively, we could place the ocean bottle in the assembly.

There would be a sort of dial at the top that acts as a timer. Turn the dial to the wanted time, then start the countdown by pulling a pin. Hammer strikes the bottle after the timer runs out.

Would this work as described? If yes, how much to have people construct one and shipped over (like how we did it with the flammenwerfer)?

Spoiler: Darwin Zeppeli (click to show/hide)
[7v7]
Hmmm. You find lots of things that seem magical...though you kind of question  a lot of them.  You think they might be trying to scam you. Lots of trinkets with fancy names and complex histories that sound somewhat made up on the spot.

That is possible. Does it have to be compact and throw-able or anything like that?

"Come on, do you assholes really want to shoot at me? Is that how you're gonna play this?"

Drop the body for now. Channel 10 mana into upgrading my Will. Grab the closest mall ninja and EAT HIM.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
+1 will then.

[6v2][3] You Drop the body and bumrush the nearest ninja. You catch him by the face and slam him to the ground before sucking 3 mana out of him. [1v6] Your companion charges in, takes a swing at the nearest ninja, but misses by a mile and ends up in a chokehold. [1v3] "You're doing quality work!" you yell at him, all ready to charge off and attack another ninja when you notice that your legs aren't really working. You brought the ninja down  and ended up in a kneeling position but now when you try to stand they just get about halfway up and then you can't get any further.  Aw for fuck sake.

"Was that arrow drugged? COME ON!"

"Don't worry about me! I'm quite resilient. If the kid is in there, I'll make sure to not use lethal force."

Prepare my trusty club, shield and sealer armor, and carefully move towards the bone-crunching noise. Don't enter the house, check the windows first. Then try knocking on the door.

Spoiler: Randolf Osborn (click to show/hide)
You close up your suit and draw your weapon before slinking around the perimeter of the house, looking into the windows.  Near the back you find a window that lets you look into what you think is the kitchen. There are two forms there, hunched over three bodies. They're tall and thin, bending in unnatural ways that seem to defy gravity, leaning forward with their whole body but standing only on their feet, like they've been bolted in place.  You can't make out much about them through the window but they look like lanky humans with ill fitting clothing, at least from this angle.

Ask the breeder how much the familiars cost.  Inform him about the grow and strengthen spells, and see if some uses of that will give me a break in the price.  Also, does he do custom work?  Grow can mean aging, which should decrease the time necessary to raise a new animal.

After that, start looking around for work.  Fishing is usually a pretty dangerous profession, and I'd expect there are many who have been injured in one way or another.  See if I can come up with some business.

And yes, I'd like to put up a bounty, but as I might leave this location, I'll need someone to bank it with.

Their costs vary depending on which one you want but they're usually in the 20 gold range.  Quite expensive for most common folk, but attainable.  He says he might give you a break if you can successfully use them to things like make animals larger or stronger for him, but if you fail or cripple an animal, he's going to make you pay for it. Literally not figuratively; you'll have to give him money.  He doesn't do custom work himself but he can order something in if you want it bad enough.

The town is large enough to have some medical care available, though its not magical in nature. You put out a call for anyone with chronic illness or crippling or other conditions to be healed and get several replies quite quickly.

The bounty is generally left with the local Law enforcers and then published in nearby towns. You wanna leave it here? And what does the bounty say exactly? What do they have to turn in to get the money?

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • what about full of shit? is that a meme too?
    • View Profile
Re: Cabal: The Death of Magic
« Reply #1006 on: July 07, 2018, 03:40:21 pm »

Blow up the ninja that's grappling my ally. Stand up.

I live how my maker made me.
Broken broken tip to tail.

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
  • Morals? Ethics? Conscience? HA!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1007 on: July 07, 2018, 04:29:01 pm »

Hmmm. You find lots of things that seem magical...though you kind of question  a lot of them.  You think they might be trying to scam you. Lots of trinkets with fancy names and complex histories that sound somewhat made up on the spot.
Follow up on the five (or less, do be discerning here) items that seem most likely to be of any real magical value.

That is possible. Does it have to be compact and throw-able or anything like that?

Original idea was for a fairly large (volume of about 2 buckets) version so it could make a sizable explosion while still being man portable. Would a handheld/thrown version be possible?

What kind of tools could I need for helping me with necromancy? Eg I'll probably want some medical equipment such as suture wires to make my 'patients' look more normal, and maybe some of the tools usually used by taxidermists to help them look lifelike. How much for a well stocked set of this stuff?

Einsteinian Roulette Wiki
Quote from: you know who you are
21:26   <XYZ>: I know nothing about this, but I have strong opinions about it.
Fucking hell, you guys are worse than the demons.

randomgenericusername

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1008 on: July 07, 2018, 05:56:49 pm »

Try breaking the window with my club to catch their attention, then run to where Nina is. If they don't follow, then carefully find another window to spy the creatures from.

The dog behind the man behind the beard.
Immortality like that would be even more game breaking than four Aaron's in one place.
You're both so obviously scum that this is a surprisingly difficult decision.

Devastator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1009 on: July 07, 2018, 06:31:01 pm »

"Well, what I want is something that can fly, and carry myself, some cargo, and two other people after being grown to a fairly huge size.  I also want it to be reasonably capable in combat, but perhaps more importantly, not look scary.  I'm not going to be using it to attack people, I just want it capable of doing some hunting and defending itself, but I do want it to not scare people too badly.

What I was thinking might be something that's half-cat, half-bird, like a griffin.  That way it'll be happy sleeping in the sun, and be able to purr, which should help people trust it, while still being capable if it comes to fighting.

That said, that raven looks like it'll be good.  Owls can look really scary, and make scarier noises, so the raven seems like the better choice.  How about I put 10 gold on it as a deposit, and I'll buy it sometime before I leave town, for another 10 gold for a total of 20.  If you can find me a griffin I'll pay another 20 for it instead, to make 30."

Make that offer.  As for the bounty..

"Several people were kidnapped by a bunch of odd bug-men riding large insects.  I'd like to put a 10 gold bounty on the location of their lair or base, and an additional 25 gold for rescuing any kidnapees... or, for proof of the death of the prisoners.  I'll probably increase that somewhat before leaving the town, and there may be other people putting up bounties, as the bug-men attacked a caravan."

After those are sorted, it is time to get to work.  Who is the first patient?

Pancaek

• Bay Watcher
  • Real stupidity beats artificial intelligence
    • View Profile
« Reply #1010 on: July 10, 2018, 01:28:08 pm »

"The enemy hides behind metal bawkses! How shameful, how cowardly! Come, stop bringing shame upon your family and your name and fight me! Man to man, pointy stick to pizza cutter!"

Keep some distance, but jog in a semi-cricle behind him. If he turns to point his shield at me, continue jogging. Bitch is gonna be dragging that heavy ass shield in a circle for as long as I damn well please. Keep out of his reach for as long as he has the shield.

If he decides to ditch the shield and attack with the spear, dodge his attack and use my pizza cutter to cut a slice out of him.

[/quote]

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #1011 on: July 11, 2018, 10:21:51 am »

Where our Leng at?

Lenglon

• Bay Watcher
  • Everyone cries, the question is what follows it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1012 on: July 11, 2018, 10:42:12 am »

Alternately exhausted and unsure what to do. I kept putting off my response over and over and well....
Oops, sorry.

Wait and listen, since I havent seen or heard anything since Randolf left to go look.
((I don't think heating something that is right above us to a ridiculous degree is very smart. Worst case scenario we become +metal statues+. This is a finely crafted metal statue. It is encrusted with sharkmist and HMRC. On the item is an image of HMRC and Pancaek. Pancaek is laughing. The HMRC is melting. The artwork relates to the encasing of the HMRC in metal by Pancaek during the Mission of Many People.))

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #1013 on: July 12, 2018, 12:45:53 pm »

Alternately exhausted and unsure what to do. I kept putting off my response over and over and well....
Oops, sorry.

Wait and listen, since I havent seen or heard anything since Randolf left to go look.
Try breaking the window with my club to catch their attention, then run to where Nina is. If they don't follow, then carefully find another window to spy the creatures from.

You smash the window with your club and then turn to run.
[5v8]

You get three steps before an hand fastens itself around your neck and drags you unceremoniously back through the window. You see the window frame fly past, a square of light in a dark room. You hit the ground and tumble, rolling into the far wall and coming to a rest on your side with your back against the wall. The exaggerated figures are in front of you, silhouetted against the window. You can't see them well, the room is dark and they're blocking the only lightsource, but you can see enough. You can see child faces and limbs horribly stretched, mouths gaping wide enough to swallow a man whole, pit eyes with flickering red flames dancing within, and limbs grossly elongated. They look at you like an insect observes its prey; motionless but tensed, ready to spring forward at any moment. They don't even seem to be breathing, but steam is pouring from their nostrils and mouth.

You glance down and see the half eaten corpse at their feet.

Meanwhile, Nina hears nothing except the breaking of glass and then a thump.

Blow up the ninja that's grappling my ally. Stand up.

[3v4] [-4 mana]
You point a finger at the man putting your friend in a strangehold and sparks fly, the air pops and crackles with little explosions but the spell still dies on your finger tips.

[6v1]
You shake off the weakness and force yourself to your feet, keeping your foot planted on the ninja you downed. [1v8] The nobleman is choked out and collapses to the ground. [2v5] A metal needle, thin and long, catches you dead center in the thigh.  You can feel the poison numb your entire leg almost immediately.

Follow up on the five (or less, do be discerning here) items that seem most likely to be of any real magical value.

Original idea was for a fairly large (volume of about 2 buckets) version so it could make a sizable explosion while still being man portable. Would a handheld/thrown version be possible?

What kind of tools could I need for helping me with necromancy? Eg I'll probably want some medical equipment such as suture wires to make my 'patients' look more normal, and maybe some of the tools usually used by taxidermists to help them look lifelike. How much for a well stocked set of this stuff?

Either is possible, I just wanted to know if you wanted a grenade or a bomb. A bomb is more expensive, though not by much since miniature mechanisms are always more difficult.

Reanimate will give life back to a creature but will not heal it. The major difference between "Animate" and "Reanimate" is that animate can force anything to live via magic, reanimate will simply try to give life back to something already alive. You can overcome issues with this via just shoving more magic in, but its easier to instead fix whatever the problem is before reanimating the creature. You'd want medical equipment so that you can sit down and repair the body along with blood so that the person doesn't die immediately after reanimating. Think of yourself as a human mechanic rather than a necromancer; you gotta fix them or they don't turn back on too well. You can get the surgical gear for 20ish gold (a doctor's bag basically) but the blood might be harder. You'd need to get pretty fresh human blood for it to work with the minimum difficulty and cost.

"The enemy hides behind metal bawkses! How shameful, how cowardly! Come, stop bringing shame upon your family and your name and fight me! Man to man, pointy stick to pizza cutter!"

Keep some distance, but jog in a semi-cricle behind him. If he turns to point his shield at me, continue jogging. Bitch is gonna be dragging that heavy ass shield in a circle for as long as I damn well please. Keep out of his reach for as long as he has the shield.

If he decides to ditch the shield and attack with the spear, dodge his attack and use my pizza cutter to cut a slice out of him.

You taunt him and talk a big game but the man doesn't seem effected by it, his face is set in an implacable neutral stare. You circle around and he turns  with you, his shield working as the axis for the rotation so that he has to move it very little. You stay a good distance out of his range  so that he can't catch you with a sudden thrust, but he seems equally content to just sit and wait for you to come to him. Its the smart tactic, after all, you can't blame him. Even if its boring as sin. You need a way to goad him into either coming to you or at least making an attack that you can capitalize on....

"Well, what I want is something that can fly, and carry myself, some cargo, and two other people after being grown to a fairly huge size.  I also want it to be reasonably capable in combat, but perhaps more importantly, not look scary.  I'm not going to be using it to attack people, I just want it capable of doing some hunting and defending itself, but I do want it to not scare people too badly.

What I was thinking might be something that's half-cat, half-bird, like a griffin.  That way it'll be happy sleeping in the sun, and be able to purr, which should help people trust it, while still being capable if it comes to fighting.

That said, that raven looks like it'll be good.  Owls can look really scary, and make scarier noises, so the raven seems like the better choice.  How about I put 10 gold on it as a deposit, and I'll buy it sometime before I leave town, for another 10 gold for a total of 20.  If you can find me a griffin I'll pay another 20 for it instead, to make 30."

Make that offer.  As for the bounty..

"Several people were kidnapped by a bunch of odd bug-men riding large insects.  I'd like to put a 10 gold bounty on the location of their lair or base, and an additional 25 gold for rescuing any kidnapees... or, for proof of the death of the prisoners.  I'll probably increase that somewhat before leaving the town, and there may be other people putting up bounties, as the bug-men attacked a caravan."

After those are sorted, it is time to get to work.  Who is the first patient?

Griffin is totally doable, though you'd have to pick the breed of both the cat and the bird. It can make a pretty big difference. You leave a deposit of 10 gold. We'll work out specifics later.

You set up the bounty as you wrote it and turn it in to the local law enforcement.

Your first patient is a man who apparently lost his arm to an accident. He wants you to give him a new arm and he doesn't really care what it looks like as long as it works. Its a fairly rough looking older man so you believe him when he says looks don't matter.

Lenglon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1014 on: July 12, 2018, 12:52:31 pm »

Continue to wait
« Last Edit: July 13, 2018, 06:21:44 pm by Lenglon »
((I don't think heating something that is right above us to a ridiculous degree is very smart. Worst case scenario we become +metal statues+. This is a finely crafted metal statue. It is encrusted with sharkmist and HMRC. On the item is an image of HMRC and Pancaek. Pancaek is laughing. The HMRC is melting. The artwork relates to the encasing of the HMRC in metal by Pancaek during the Mission of Many People.))

randomgenericusername

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1015 on: July 12, 2018, 01:25:50 pm »

"I DON'T EVEN KNOW WHAT'S GOING ON!! YOU VERY UGLY THING!!"

Throw my club at the ugly face of the long creature grabbing me to free my weapon hand. Grab the monster hand in my neck and suck all of it's life energy. Defend myself from any attacks with my shield.

The dog behind the man behind the beard.
Immortality like that would be even more game breaking than four Aaron's in one place.
You're both so obviously scum that this is a surprisingly difficult decision.

Devastator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1016 on: July 12, 2018, 02:39:26 pm »

Cougar/Red-tailed hawk sounds like an okay mix.  Hawks are good travellers, but also good soarers, and they're okay with waiting long periods of time perched, so they should be okay without continuous activity.  Also, the soaring should make for an easier ride.  They're not super-fast, but should still be plenty fast compared to walking.  They're also quite tameable, which probably isn't an issue for a familiar, but no sense in not making it easier.

Lets get to work, then.  Try to grow him a new arm.  Do try to make it as humanoid as I can.  If it starts coming out ape-like, the important part is to make sure it's got straight arm bones instead of curved ones, and that the fingers aren't padded heavily, allowing for dexterity.  Also watch the size, it's gotta match up to the rest of his body.  I don't know if a hug will yield much, but ask him for his story, and try anyway.

« Last Edit: July 16, 2018, 01:44:23 am by Devastator »

Pancaek

• Bay Watcher
  • Real stupidity beats artificial intelligence
    • View Profile
« Reply #1017 on: July 13, 2018, 05:53:16 pm »

Ecalir stops running and just sort of stands there, awkwardly holding the scissor with his other hand, since crossing his arms would probably be pretty uncomfortable.

"Really, not single muscle twitch? Where is passion, bloodlust? Ecalir is very dissapointed to have you as enemy. Ecalir was expecting big show, much boasting, much running around and pulling of sick moves. Instead, Ecalir has gotten little boring robot instead of man as his first opponent.

Are you not here to entertain crowd? How are they supposed to enjoying spectacle if you just stand there behind slab of wood with pointy stick? Why did you join arena if you not want make spectacle, eh?"

Two can play the waiting game. Stand out of his reach and converse a bit.

Lenglon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1018 on: July 13, 2018, 06:21:31 pm »

"I DON'T EVEN KNOW WHAT'S GOING ON!! YOU VERY UGLY THING!!"

Throw my club at the ugly face of the long creature grabbing me to free my weapon hand. Grab the monster hand in my neck and suck all of it's life energy. Defend myself from any attacks with my shield.

Go see what the yelling is about.

Spoiler: Nina (click to show/hide)

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
  • Morals? Ethics? Conscience? HA!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1019 on: July 15, 2018, 09:23:20 am »

Either is possible, I just wanted to know if you wanted a grenade or a bomb. A bomb is more expensive, though not by much since miniature mechanisms are always more difficult.
Price for either a large bomb or smaller nade assembly please.

Reanimate will give life back to a creature but will not heal it. The major difference between "Animate" and "Reanimate" is that animate can force anything to live via magic, reanimate will simply try to give life back to something already alive. You can overcome issues with this via just shoving more magic in, but its easier to instead fix whatever the problem is before reanimating the creature. You'd want medical equipment so that you can sit down and repair the body along with blood so that the person doesn't die immediately after reanimating. Think of yourself as a human mechanic rather than a necromancer; you gotta fix them or they don't turn back on too well. You can get the surgical gear for 20ish gold (a doctor's bag basically) but the blood might be harder. You'd need to get pretty fresh human blood for it to work with the minimum difficulty and cost.
Just buy a doctor's bag for 30 gold with the needed tools then. Go look around this town to see if there's anywhere where one might buy human blood, perhaps the local surgeon? Or maybe some hobos would sell some blood for money? Failing that, perhaps there's a butcher nearby where I could buy fresh animal blood?

Einsteinian Roulette Wiki
Quote from: you know who you are
21:26   <XYZ>: I know nothing about this, but I have strong opinions about it.
Fucking hell, you guys are worse than the demons.
Pages: 1 ... 66 67 [68] 69 70 ... 203