Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 70 71 [72] 73 74 ... 203

Author Topic: Cabal: Wizard Open World Game  (Read 342942 times)

Pancaek

• Bay Watcher
  • Real stupidity beats artificial intelligence
    • View Profile
Re: Cabal: Wizard Open World Game
« Reply #1065 on: August 17, 2018, 12:56:39 pm »

So, I guess this can go one of two ways.

1. the guy comes in for the attack first. The idea here would be to either dodge or deflect his attack with my sword/bracers. Then follow up with either swinging my sword at him, or slamming my bulk against him if he's too close for the twohander.

2. He plays it defensively, in which case we are not having ourselves a repeat of the previous fight. Instead, we'll use the (I'm assuming) superior range of our sword to swing at him while keeping out of reach of his shortsword.

Spoiler:  Écalir Speedwagon (click to show/hide)

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • what about full of shit? is that a meme too?
    • View Profile
Re: Cabal: The Death of Magic
« Reply #1066 on: August 17, 2018, 02:01:36 pm »

Stand up, and wait for the door to open. If the person is dressed the same as any of the goons I've seen so far, grab them in a chokehold so that they can't cry out. If the person is dressed like a magebreaker, say I'll cooperate.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
I live how my maker made me.
Broken broken tip to tail.

Devastator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1067 on: August 18, 2018, 02:28:14 am »

Do a brief magical examination of the child to make sure this is simply a mundane illness.  If it seems quite serious, do some thinking if there are ways (magical or mundane)  to intervene to improve the prognosis.  If it doesn't seem serious and no other problems present themselves, try to reassure the mother and provide some therapy.  No charge if there is no magical intervention, but include a hug.

Spoiler: Saeko Hirahara (click to show/hide)

Yottawhat

• Bay Watcher
  • New face, new look.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1068 on: August 18, 2018, 07:56:45 pm »

I guess throw me in the town Egan is in.

« Last Edit: August 22, 2018, 11:34:54 am by Yottawhat »
(1) You start forward with determination and certainty. You carry this determination with you right into the gaping crater that opens under your feet. You fall into a pit. The sounds of combat above dim, along with the light from the suns. In the quiet below, you hear some other noises instead.

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #1069 on: August 22, 2018, 10:35:29 am »

Thion Hudor
Spoiler: char sheet (click to show/hide)
Alright. Well TH is a port city of sorts, end point of a large river and major point of entry for goods from outside the kingdom. Its situated on a cliff edge and crisscrossed with water ways, streams diverted from the main river. There are huge markets here, mostly along the water ways, selling things from this kingdom and from others. Aside from them, the biggest landmark is the arena.

I guess throw me in the town Egan is in.

The last town Egan was in (he has no idea where he is now and I'm not telling) was Alkahest, the capital city. Its a giant alabaster fortress of a city atop a volcano. It is the most densely packed and largest city in the kingdom, broken into different "Quarters" for workers, tradesmen, nobles, merchants, etc. You can find basically anything you want in Alkahest, for a price, and its a great place to go missing if you annoy the wrong people.

I'm taken aback by the request
"You want to send me to recruit an exorcist?"
I don't want anything to do with exorcists. I don't want to risk them hurting Adam.
words

Spoiler: Nina (click to show/hide)
"At least we have a plan now... To Alkahest!"

Buy a ferry ticket up the river to Alkahest.

Spoiler: Randolf Osborn (click to show/hide)
Nina explains her outrage to the officer who assures her that an exorcist wouldn't evict or destroy a non-harmful spirit, especially when the host doesn't want it removed. They're mercenaries after all; no reason to perform a tricky and potentially dangerous magical ritual against someone's will for no pay.

The constables give you the money needed to get a ticket up the river to Alkahest (and the cities along the way). Randolf buys it and then waits to see if Nina will come with.

Do a brief magical examination of the child to make sure this is simply a mundane illness.  If it seems quite serious, do some thinking if there are ways (magical or mundane)  to intervene to improve the prognosis.  If it doesn't seem serious and no other problems present themselves, try to reassure the mother and provide some therapy.  No charge if there is no magical intervention, but include a hug.

You lay your hands on the child and feel nothing beyond his own natural mana. He doesn't have much compared to a normal child but it should recuperate over time as he gets better. It doesn't seem too serious right now but it has the capacity to become so. However its impossible to tell which way it will go right now; all you can do is wait and watch.  You let the parents know and promise to come back around in a day or two to see how he is. You give him a hug, but don't drain any mana, since that could push him over into a more serious illness.

Stand up, and wait for the door to open. If the person is dressed the same as any of the goons I've seen so far, grab them in a chokehold so that they can't cry out. If the person is dressed like a magebreaker, say I'll cooperate.

You stand in what you think is the best tactical position, near the door but not too near,  and wait. The footsteps reach your door and you hear the jingle of keys on a key-ring and then the clunk of one being inserted. The door opens and behind it is a man who you would consider a generic goon. He doesn't look exactly like the ones you've seen before but he has the same general appearance: Muscular, reptile-like beady predator eyes, big fists made for causing mayhem, huge knife or maybe shortsword on his hip, and gorilla like facial features.
[2v6]

You leap forward as soon as the door is open enough to let you. The man sees you coming, however, and in a rather astute reaction for a generic thug just slams the door closed and locks it. You hit the closed door and rebound with a grunt. You can hear him run off, away from the door and back down the hall. Great.

Buy compass, leave the mirror. Buy a decent world map (how much?) and draw lines/cones for the three directions the compass points in (idea being that, by using the compass later in another part of the world, we might be able to more exactly pin down 1 or more of the 3 locations it is pointing at).

Start studying the book in more detail. What historical events does the beginning depict? Is there a sort of index anywhere in the book?

Spoiler: Darwin Zeppeli (click to show/hide)
You fork over the gold and take the compass. You find a cartographer's stall and buy a decent world map (It looks basically identical to the one on the OP!). You draw out the possible trajectories of the compass as expanding cones from your rough current position and then put everything back in your bag before heading off. You find a nice bench near a waterway and sit down to reac the book.

The historical events you recognize are rather obvious ones: The destruction of the Artifacter armies, the formation of volcano under Alkahest, and the erecting of the two statues around Lake Limus. You weren't alive to see any of them but you recognize them from the history you know. There are other events here, mixed in with them, but you don't recognize them. For instance, after the statues are formed there is an illustration of what appears to be Lake Limus being sucked into a sword? Its rather abstract.

There's no sort of index, no pages with writing at all, actually. Its all illustrations.

So, I guess this can go one of two ways.

1. the guy comes in for the attack first. The idea here would be to either dodge or deflect his attack with my sword/bracers. Then follow up with either swinging my sword at him, or slamming my bulk against him if he's too close for the twohander.

2. He plays it defensively, in which case we are not having ourselves a repeat of the previous fight. Instead, we'll use the (I'm assuming) superior range of our sword to swing at him while keeping out of reach of his shortsword.

Spoiler:  Écalir Speedwagon (click to show/hide)
[9v3]
The man holds the position for maybe a half second and then charges. He thrusts his shield forward, towards your sword, while striking out with his blade, aiming for the gap in your leg armor. You recognize his tactic; strike while holding off your strike, its a good use of his equipment and the positioning of his shield - striking out at the low end of the blade near your grip- would seriously rob any sort of momentum or force you could put into a blow.  So you do something he wasn't expecting; You drop your sword. Hands freed you grab his shield strike, stopping it dead. 

His two pronged attack was already tenuous and difficult to pull off, focusing his momentum and balance in two directions, but the early and unexpected halt of his shield arm throws him slightly off balance and you are able to defect the stab with your shin guard before raising your foot and stomping the blade down, flat onto the ground. The man, still holding his sword, goes even more off balance and falls to one knee. You take the shield you're still holding in both hands and promptly thwack him upside the head with it, despite him still having his arm attached to it. He goes down in a heap, losing hold of his sword and bleeding from a gash just above his right eye. You let go of the shield and let him fall. As you watch him, you step back, tuck a toe under his weapon and kick it lightly up into the air, catching it in your left hand.  You stoop and pick up your larger sword in your right and do a sort of "Well, what now?" pose to both the downed man and the crowd.

The announcer calls the match a moment later to applause that begins stunned but quickly swells into a thunderous roar.  The announcer praises your skill for ending two matches in a single move and assistants jog out to help the stunned man to his feet and back towards the gate.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1070 on: August 22, 2018, 10:44:18 am »

Lowrolls make me mad.

Devastator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1071 on: August 22, 2018, 11:35:29 am »

Piecewise, I meant to hug the parent, not the child.

Anyway, time to round out the day, just sleep until tomorrow.

The next day I want to find surgical tools and a place that I could do surgery inside.  Start with trying to do these two, I'll try to see one more patient after that, but mostly I want to be ready for the surgery on the following day.

« Last Edit: August 22, 2018, 03:41:15 pm by Devastator »

Ozarck

• Bay Watcher
  • DiceBane
    • View Profile
« Reply #1072 on: August 22, 2018, 01:22:38 pm »

Spawn me in Oleum, please.

Spoiler: Felix Testimony (click to show/hide)

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
  • Morals? Ethics? Conscience? HA!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1073 on: August 22, 2018, 04:26:26 pm »

How much did the map cost?

Go and collect our winnings from the match (I had 40 gold on Ecalir winning).

Give Ecalir 20 of my mana (not in broad daylight though, if possible, we don't need to broadcast we're wizards), then go to our room in the inn and convert the last of the platinum into mana (should be 20 mana).

Check bounty board or else go somewhere public and listen for current goings on or for something to do.

I have a small errand that needs to be run, so if I notice he's looking for a job, I could provide one.

Spoiler: Darwin Zeppeli (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: August 23, 2018, 12:27:50 pm by Radio Controlled »

Einsteinian Roulette Wiki
Quote from: you know who you are
21:26   <XYZ>: I know nothing about this, but I have strong opinions about it.
Fucking hell, you guys are worse than the demons.

The Lupanian

• Bay Watcher
  • Seeker of Knowledge
    • View Profile
« Reply #1074 on: August 22, 2018, 04:55:54 pm »

Check bounty board or else go somewhere public and listen for current goings on or for something to do.
Spoiler: char sheet (click to show/hide)
I only ate a few vampire hearts. Like, three tops. I'm sure it'll be fine.

Go check out Shadow of the Void!

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Cabal: The Death of Magic
« Reply #1075 on: August 22, 2018, 05:23:00 pm »

Create a small explosion inside the door's lock.

randomgenericusername

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1076 on: August 22, 2018, 09:03:03 pm »

"Nina, if you really don't want to go find the exorcist, you can still try to help here with your healing while I go to Alkahest. You can either come or stay, I can't really force you to pick either."

It would be nice to have company, but she can still do things here to help the town, things I can't do. I'm still going to Alkahest, alone or with her.

Spoiler: Randolf Osborn (click to show/hide)
The dog behind the man behind the beard.
Immortality like that would be even more game breaking than four Aaron's in one place.
You're both so obviously scum that this is a surprisingly difficult decision.

Yottawhat

• Bay Watcher
  • New face, new look.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1077 on: August 22, 2018, 09:30:03 pm »

Velis is gonna shanty on over to the tradesmen quarter, looking a bard's guild, musicians, and heck, just about any sort of company of music makers.

While searching around, get the old brainpan churning and see if can come-up with any schematics or blueprints for my "sculpture".

And while I'm at it, check up on my old friend Priscilla the spiritual spectre and see what her needs are.

Spoiler: Velis Yeslerp (click to show/hide)
(1) You start forward with determination and certainty. You carry this determination with you right into the gaping crater that opens under your feet. You fall into a pit. The sounds of combat above dim, along with the light from the suns. In the quiet below, you hear some other noises instead.

Lenglon

• Bay Watcher
  • Everyone cries, the question is what follows it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1078 on: August 22, 2018, 09:54:40 pm »

"... Okay. I'll go, sticking together is a good idea."Go to Alkahest on an exorcist-hunt.
((I don't think heating something that is right above us to a ridiculous degree is very smart. Worst case scenario we become +metal statues+. This is a finely crafted metal statue. It is encrusted with sharkmist and HMRC. On the item is an image of HMRC and Pancaek. Pancaek is laughing. The HMRC is melting. The artwork relates to the encasing of the HMRC in metal by Pancaek during the Mission of Many People.))

Hotfire90

« Reply #1079 on: August 23, 2018, 10:26:55 am »

Spawn me in Mesothorium.

Spoiler: Robert Grant (click to show/hide)
Pages: 1 ... 70 71 [72] 73 74 ... 203