Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 81 82 [83] 84 85 ... 203

Author Topic: Cabal: Wizard Open World Game  (Read 342156 times)

TopHat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Cabal: Wizard Open World Game
« Reply #1230 on: October 15, 2018, 02:50:31 pm »

Take the slower, road-based path.

Spoiler: Frick Varmer (click to show/hide)
I would ask why fire can burn two men to death without getting hot enough to burn a book, but then I read "INEXTINGUISHABLE RUNNING KAMIKAZE RADIOACTIVE FLAMING ZOMBIE" and realized that logic, reason, and physics are all occupied with crying in the corner right now.

Pancaek

• Bay Watcher
  • Real stupidity beats artificial intelligence
    • View Profile
« Reply #1231 on: October 15, 2018, 06:23:04 pm »

So mister angry wants to throw down? Fine. Since he's so close to me, dodge or deflect his spear, then do a takedown on him. Attack him however seems most appropratie at the time, stab him with the spear, punch him in the face, try to choke him out or try to straight up rip his head off of his neck. I don't care, just keep doing it until he stops moving.

Spoiler:  Écalir Speedwagon (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: October 15, 2018, 06:32:24 pm by Pancaek »

randomgenericusername

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1232 on: October 15, 2018, 07:52:42 pm »

Throw my shield at it as a distraction! Use my now free hand to grab the possessed and drain the spirit's mana.

Spoiler: Randolf Osborn (click to show/hide)
The dog behind the man behind the beard.
Immortality like that would be even more game breaking than four Aaron's in one place.
You're both so obviously scum that this is a surprisingly difficult decision.

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #1233 on: October 19, 2018, 03:12:13 pm »

So mister angry wants to throw down? Fine. Since he's so close to me, dodge or deflect his spear, then do a takedown on him. Attack him however seems most appropratie at the time, stab him with the spear, punch him in the face, try to choke him out or try to straight up rip his head off of his neck. I don't care, just keep doing it until he stops moving.

[7v1]
You sigh and step forward, batting the spear away with your hand. You then thrust your own weapon forward, coming in under his sternum in a rising blow. You sink it in past the end of the spearhead and then Grab the man's shoulder and shove the spear upwards with a spinning twist. The point exits through his mouth, with a choking gurgle  and you pant the  spear so that it forms a tripod with the corpse's legs, keeping the body up in a forward slumped impalement.

You take a step back and clap your hands together a few times as though knocking off dust.

"I think Impalement is my favorite way to kill a person."

If it looks like the sore loser attacking Ecalir might do some damage or he is having trouble fighting the guy, and the refs aren't capable of stopping this situation, use a simple spell to temporarily disorient the attacker. Use 'viscera' to cast an illusion that makes him think his guts are spilling out of his belly. Don't actually do any damage to him, just make him (and only him if possible) think so.

Try not to make it clear to people around me that I'm the one casting the spell. The spell effects don't need to last long, just long enough to get Ecalir out of trouble. Again, only do this if it looks like he'll need to help, if he just effortlessly dispatches him then don't bother.

Spoiler: Darwin Zeppeli (click to show/hide)
You look up from the book for a moment, see whats happening, and then look back down into it.

Well that was the semi-final match. He's got the title of Gladiator already. Last match coming up. If you want we can move right into it. You'll be sword and boarding vs a guy with a bow and a pair of short swords.

Throw my shield at it as a distraction! Use my now free hand to grab the possessed and drain the spirit's mana.

[1v5] You throw your shield but it catches on your finger tips as you do and spirals off the side of the boat and into the water. Son of a. You get up and charge the man again, Going for a grab. [2v1] You manage to get a hand on the man's throat, dodging another slithering blow. [5] You pull 5 mana out of him. It feels like ice water flowing into your veins but you keep hold.  The creature spasms and  twists like an eel trying to break your grip.

Stay behind Randolf and look around for whatever is going on that we're missing / are being distracted from.

Spoiler: Nina (click to show/hide)
[1]
You don't see anything. Like at all. Its totally back.

Takes you a few moments to realize you've had your hands over your eyes because you don't wanna see what happens next.

Join the highest paying caravan.
Spoiler: Robert Grant (click to show/hide)
The highest paying caravan circles the entire ring road before heading back and into Fearce. It pays 100 gold. You want me just to fast forward till you hit a point where your guarding is needed?

Two mana left. Try cleaning the flux from my face with a spell again. On success, find and board the Catamaran. on fail, lay back in the viscous fluid (hoping it keeps me afloat) and carefully scrape my fingers clean until I feel I can get enough of the flux off my eyes to open one of them. Meanwhile, listen for the sound of Flux against boat, or the flutter of sailcloth.

((blindly finding something in the open by sound is pretty difficult, really. Especially if it is behind you - our ears and brains are not attuned to tellthe difference between sound coming from behind and sound coming from in front.))

Spoiler: Felix Testimony (click to show/hide)
[3v4] This one fails because you don't have the mana for it on top of just failing the roll.
You lay back and try to float. It works...kinda. You're not as boyant as in water, just barely staying afloat. Its enough to let you scrape the go out of one eyes and find your way back to the boat though.

Now that it’s made contact with me, do a rope melee attack. I want to tie up and disable as many tentacles as possible. Once I’ve done that, stabby stabby again.
Spoiler: char sheet (click to show/hide)
[10v4][-4 mana]
You grab hold of the thing and summon up rope.  The stiff seems to materialize straight out of your flesh, flowing out like snakes that encircle and constrict your opponent. After a moment the creature is completely wrapped up and encased in rope.  It makes the next few moments of stabbing a no brainer and then the creature is dead.

You get 5 mana.

Take the slower, road-based path.

You make it to Regulus without issue, each day covering a good amount of ground and camping out. However, a short way out of Regulus as you are walking towards the intersection of roads towards Hepar, your hunter hireling stops you. Together the both of you get low to the ground and he points out across the desert and scrub-land at a creature sitting on a large rock. It looks like a lizard, one of the thorny devils that you see around sometimes, but judging from its size in the distance it must be the size of a horse or bigger. Its head is turned in your direction and it is staring with that completely unknowable gaze that all reptiles have.

"Oh yeah? Not gonna answer me, huh? If that's how you lot are playing this, I'd recommend getting out before I get to you."

Toss the manservant to the ground and grab the nearest musician, draining them. Repeat until someone answers my damn question, someone tries to fight me, or everyone flees the room.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

You toss the manservant down and walk towards the nearest musician. [5v5] He stares at you in shock for a moment before his eyes harden and he draws a blade of his own. He whips at your head and you parry, dancing back away from it.

"Think you can just come in here and do with us as you please?!" The man says, shaking his blade at you in indignation.

"We're probably going to have to intervene.  We've got people walking into the lake, which isn't going to be good whatever is happening.  I can't stay here an do nothing."

"That said, this is big, and I don't mean to do anything rash.  We'll do it properly.  And when we fix this, we fix it for everyone."

How many people are we talking about?  Is there going to be a town left if I don't stop this now?  Is it like one in twenty people?  One in ten?

I'll need someone to ask about this.  Drop a rope through my window down to the street, and try to make a prisoner of someone going down to the lake with my guards.

Spoiler: Saeko Hirahara (click to show/hide)
About 15 have gone since you started counting. Its erratic in frequency so you can't make a guess how many in total. Not a lot for a city this size but not an insignificant number.

You sit and wait, basically fishing for humans, but no one comes down this street. However you do see one just on the next street over, walking slowly down toward the lake.

« Last Edit: October 19, 2018, 05:17:58 pm by piecewise »

Hotfire90

« Reply #1234 on: October 19, 2018, 03:50:03 pm »

Fast forward away.

Devastator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1235 on: October 19, 2018, 04:55:22 pm »

15 is a fair number, but if they're being killed for mana or something, I should be able to collect enough without killing people to pay that toll.  If it's joy or greed or some other reason...

Lets go for the capture.  One block over should be fine, and I can keep an ear out for incoming orbs or something.  Start by asking what's going on and seeing if the person will come freely, but I need answers and compliance isn't optional.  Try to make it quick.  On the way back, make physical contact and try to figure out if the person is ensorcelled in some way.

« Last Edit: October 19, 2018, 07:54:55 pm by Devastator »

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
  • Morals? Ethics? Conscience? HA!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1236 on: October 19, 2018, 05:00:07 pm »

I had 50 gold on Ecalir winning this match, how much is the payout?

Assuming pan is still up to fighting his 4th match, bet 50 gold on him winning again.

Then return to my seat and read some more in my history book. Any more info on the exact technology behind the artifacter armies? Or just some more details/examples of what kind of units they used?

When the match starts be on the lookout for shenanigans or foul play.

« Last Edit: October 19, 2018, 06:45:49 pm by Radio Controlled »

Einsteinian Roulette Wiki
Quote from: you know who you are
21:26   <XYZ>: I know nothing about this, but I have strong opinions about it.
Fucking hell, you guys are worse than the demons.

Lenglon

• Bay Watcher
  • Everyone cries, the question is what follows it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1237 on: October 19, 2018, 06:22:40 pm »

Step up, grab the possessed from the other side, and drain the spirit's mana.

((I don't think heating something that is right above us to a ridiculous degree is very smart. Worst case scenario we become +metal statues+. This is a finely crafted metal statue. It is encrusted with sharkmist and HMRC. On the item is an image of HMRC and Pancaek. Pancaek is laughing. The HMRC is melting. The artwork relates to the encasing of the HMRC in metal by Pancaek during the Mission of Many People.))

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • technical difficulties
    • View Profile
« Reply #1238 on: October 19, 2018, 07:06:07 pm »

"Pretty much, yeah. I've been having a bad day. Do you want to make it better?~"

Distract him with my feminine charm. If he approaches, defend myself and make him drop his sword with a kick to the stomach.

Insatiable consumption. Ceaseless motion. Unstoppable destruction.

The Lupanian

• Bay Watcher
  • Seeker of Knowledge
    • View Profile
« Reply #1239 on: October 19, 2018, 09:57:07 pm »

Cut that sucker up and look for words. After that, I’ll inspect the pool more closely. Does the compass seem to be indicating the pool, the creature, or something else?
I only ate a few vampire hearts. Like, three tops. I'm sure it'll be fine.

Go check out Shadow of the Void!

Ozarck

• Bay Watcher
  • DiceBane
    • View Profile
« Reply #1240 on: October 19, 2018, 10:30:28 pm »

Sail back to town (row only if necessary), clean up if possible, then
1) spend some time (can be a month) making toys out of various bits of flotsam, jetsam, and whatever I find in that logging building. Different kinds of toys to see if any of them catch Little Miss' attention.
2)  Meanwhile, when I am not doing that or earning a living at the boathouse, do some research into local graveyards, nearby tombs, and other sites where human bodies might be buried.
3) Finally, generally keep an ear open for contracts the locals might have for a goo explorer / fisherboat / recreational cruiseboat / transportation vessel.

« Last Edit: October 20, 2018, 06:55:00 pm by Ozarck »

Pancaek

• Bay Watcher
  • Real stupidity beats artificial intelligence
    • View Profile
« Reply #1241 on: October 20, 2018, 11:12:48 am »

I'll be spending 20 mana to get speed to +1 and endurance to +1.

Then we'll go straight to the last fight. Do either of us get any armor to wear? You've only mentioned the weapons so far.

randomgenericusername

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1242 on: October 22, 2018, 06:10:41 am »

Continue to squeeze the spirit and drain all of it's mana. And whatever spirits are made of, too.

The dog behind the man behind the beard.
Immortality like that would be even more game breaking than four Aaron's in one place.
You're both so obviously scum that this is a surprisingly difficult decision.

TopHat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1243 on: October 22, 2018, 02:20:50 pm »

Excellent! Should be good to get some practice in.
Stop for a while, observing the creature and making notes. If it begins to move in our direction, slowly back away.

I would ask why fire can burn two men to death without getting hot enough to burn a book, but then I read "INEXTINGUISHABLE RUNNING KAMIKAZE RADIOACTIVE FLAMING ZOMBIE" and realized that logic, reason, and physics are all occupied with crying in the corner right now.

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #1244 on: October 23, 2018, 10:58:10 am »

Fast forward away.
*VCR Fast forward effect here*

The caravan manages to get as far as just beyond Ulmin before a highwayman raid comes.  It happens at night, around 1am. You wake up to screaming, laying next to a dwindling campfire. You look out into the dark but at this distance and with the fire you can just see vague shapes.  An arrow thunks onto the ground next to you and several more strike the wagons circled around the group. One of the other guards is hit, he's the one screaming, and is laying on the ground with an arrow through his thigh.

15 is a fair number, but if they're being killed for mana or something, I should be able to collect enough without killing people to pay that toll.  If it's joy or greed or some other reason...

Lets go for the capture.  One block over should be fine, and I can keep an ear out for incoming orbs or something.  Start by asking what's going on and seeing if the person will come freely, but I need answers and compliance isn't optional.  Try to make it quick.  On the way back, make physical contact and try to figure out if the person is ensorcelled in some way.

You run outside, guards by your side, and over to the man. You ask him whats going on but he doesn't respond. His eyes are glazed over and his face is blank and limp. You grab at his arm and pull him but he just keeps walking forward, dragging you behind him. He's not supernaturally strong or unstoppable but he's clearly being drawn towards the lake and is going to use all his strength to get there. You glance towards the lake and see the entire thing is glowing as though someone is holding a light just under the surface. Orbs of light light giant fireflies are darting across the surface and out over the city.

I had 50 gold on Ecalir winning this match, how much is the payout?

Assuming pan is still up to fighting his 4th match, bet 50 gold on him winning again.

Then return to my seat and read some more in my history book. Any more info on the exact technology behind the artifacter armies? Or just some more details/examples of what kind of units they used?

When the match starts be on the lookout for shenanigans or foul play.

200. Apparently the odds weren't on him for whatever reason.

Ok.

The book states they used clockwork and steam mostly, but that there were unique magical components as well. Apparently that kingdom developed its magic along different lines and worked it into technology more than this one. They used automata of a staggering variety of forms and sizes, blimps, armored foot soldiers, etc.

Step up, grab the possessed from the other side, and drain the spirit's mana.

[2v2][3v3][10]
Lucky as fug. +10 mana

You sneak up behind the possessed man and manage to grab hold of his head with both hands. You drain mana from him with such force that bands of dark purple electricity leap up and encircle your limbs, crackling across your flesh as you drain the power from him. The man makes a quiet sound and then collapses.

[10v10]
Are you fugging with me?

The spirit comes out with the mana and is drawn into your body. It immediately seeks to overpower and possess you, its cold power wrapping around your body like icy chains. You still your mind and counter with your own will, pushing back against the spirit and cowing it beneath your unbreakable resolve. After a few seconds of struggle that, to you, feel like hours, the spirit goes semi-dormant within you.

"Pretty much, yeah. I've been having a bad day. Do you want to make it better?~"

Distract him with my feminine charm. If he approaches, defend myself and make him drop his sword with a kick to the stomach.

"My sympathies ma'am, but I cannot allow you to do as you please." He says, but doesn't advance.

Cut that sucker up and look for words. After that, I’ll inspect the pool more closely. Does the compass seem to be indicating the pool, the creature, or something else?
[3v4]

You find no words, but as you cut the creature up you find something in its body. Its some sort of jewel or stone, bright blue and luminous, cut to be spherical with flowing whorls across its surface. Its about the size of your head. The compass points right to it.

Sail back to town (row only if necessary), clean up if possible, then
1) spend some time (can be a month) making toys out of various bits of flotsam, jetsam, and whatever I find in that logging building. Different kinds of toys to see if any of them catch Little Miss' attention.
2)  Meanwhile, when I am not doing that or earning a living at the boathouse, do some research into local graveyards, nearby tombs, and other sites where human bodies might be buried.
3) Finally, generally keep an ear open for contracts the locals might have for a goo explorer / fisherboat / recreational cruiseboat / transportation vessel.

You sail back and clean up as best you can.

1) (5v2) you manage to find it after the 23rd toy; a little rolling horse thing. She grants you 5 mana.
2) Almost every town as a graveyard, but if you really want to find ancient things with the dead, you should check the ruins out in the lake.
3) Nothing around here really but there's always need for more boats over at that big dock area near the oasis. Thats where a lot of the people wanting to go to the ruins head out from.

I'll be spending 20 mana to get speed to +1 and endurance to +1.

Then we'll go straight to the last fight. Do either of us get any armor to wear? You've only mentioned the weapons so far.

Ok.
Nope, straight loincloths this time

The crowd's approval of you is still great though the laughter at your name is subsiding. Apparently seeing you impale a man took the comedy out of your name. They stick you and your opponent at opposite ends of the stadium this time, which seems unfair considering they have a bow. When the match starts the man immediately draws an arrow back and takes aim at you.

Continue to squeeze the spirit and drain all of it's mana. And whatever spirits are made of, too.

You stand over the unconscious man and look at Nina.

"Kill stealer." You mutter.

Excellent! Should be good to get some practice in.
Stop for a while, observing the creature and making notes. If it begins to move in our direction, slowly back away.

You stay still, except to get out a notebook and sketch the creature before making notes on its behavior and appearance. It shifts itself up at one point, looks back at you, and then gets up and slowly waddles away, walking off in the opposite direction.
Pages: 1 ... 81 82 [83] 84 85 ... 203