Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 118 119 [120] 121 122 ... 203

Author Topic: Cabal: Wizard Open World Game  (Read 341545 times)

Devastator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Cabal: Wizard Open World Game
« Reply #1785 on: July 23, 2019, 06:36:24 pm »

(Bit of a long half hour that.  Walk across giant cavern, climb into tower, kidnap and sedate giant insect, climb upwards into top shaft, investigate top level, make gasmask (failure), make gasmask (successful), attack something, flee from something, convert 40 mana worth of money, make multiple antidotes, some poison, some stimulants, and reconnect with partner.  Loooong half-hour.

Lastly, maybe you should knock off a couple sets of potion ingredients.  Two doses of antidote, a dose of poison, and some stimulants should be more than one batch of ingredients.)
« Last Edit: July 23, 2019, 07:19:24 pm by Devastator »

Lenglon

• Bay Watcher
  • Everyone cries, the question is what follows it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1786 on: July 24, 2019, 12:12:16 am »

I guess I don't get to have any medical gear despite being a healer?
"Um, I don't see a medical kit here. Are you asking me to scrounge up materials to treat people in the field?"
ask, am willing to put away my gear and proceed with the training, but I want to make sure my skills aren't being overlooked.

Spoiler: Nina (click to show/hide)
((I don't think heating something that is right above us to a ridiculous degree is very smart. Worst case scenario we become +metal statues+. This is a finely crafted metal statue. It is encrusted with sharkmist and HMRC. On the item is an image of HMRC and Pancaek. Pancaek is laughing. The HMRC is melting. The artwork relates to the encasing of the HMRC in metal by Pancaek during the Mission of Many People.))

Pancaek

• Bay Watcher
  • Real stupidity beats artificial intelligence
    • View Profile
« Reply #1787 on: July 24, 2019, 01:50:39 pm »

"Friend Darwin, this place sucks. I really don't want to be here any longer than necessary."

Stand guard while Darwin does his things.

Spoiler:  Écalir Speedwagon (click to show/hide)

Ozarck

• Bay Watcher
  • DiceBane
    • View Profile
« Reply #1788 on: July 25, 2019, 08:45:32 am »

Head down teh dark corridor on this level first. Try not to fall through the floor.

Spoiler: Felix Testimony (click to show/hide)

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #1789 on: July 25, 2019, 12:48:30 pm »

Head down teh dark corridor on this level first. Try not to fall through the floor.

You follow the hall and quickly end up in a fairly large room, the center of which is entirely dominated by a large square bath. It looks like it might have been a public bath or at least the bath of a large family or household, as there are stone benches along the walls and evidence of basins. The most complete one you find is apparently made of silver and gold and is entirely intact other than one of its handles having been snapped off at some point. There are frescos on the walls of things that you don't recognize. Giant temples and cities, men and women in bright, loose fitting clothing, and scenes of agriculture- the fields growing plants of strange size and appearance.  The entire room has a smell something like very old fragrance and salt.

I guess I don't get to have any medical gear despite being a healer?
"Um, I don't see a medical kit here. Are you asking me to scrounge up materials to treat people in the field?"
ask, am willing to put away my gear and proceed with the training, but I want to make sure my skills aren't being overlooked.

"All recruits are given the same gear in the beginning." The magebreaker explains, "We do this for multiple reasons. First it means that no recruit is advantaged above another. Second, it allows us to select what we believe is a good overall loadout for dealing with the problems we will present to you. And finally, it forces people to get at least descent at fighting.  I know you're a healer and such but a Magebreaker is more than just a job. Its a symbol of the power of the kingdom to protect its citizens. You may not always have backup to fight for you, you may not always have the items you want, but you will always be expected to protect the citizens of this kingdom from the worst threats imaginable.  If you can get what you want by scavenging it, then thats fine, but remember why Mage Breakers are here. Remember what our purpose is."

"Friend Darwin, this place sucks. I really don't want to be here any longer than necessary."

Stand guard while Darwin does his things.

Spoiler:  Écalir Speedwagon (click to show/hide)
[6v3] we'll say you made some pretty good stimulants, but if they're effective or not in this case is unknown.
Can I get a roll to make it known?

15 mana to our favorite barbarian, keep 10 mana as thaum in a bottle.

How much mana would we need to put into the thaumbomb to blow up the whole tower? And if Pan uses 'multiply' to reinforce it?

Last time Ecalir had d6 difficulty for a bug invisibility spell that lasted 30 minutes for 8 people. Since now there are only 2 of us, could that go down to a d4, nd if yes, for how long could it last? 

Finally, suppose we used a bug invisibility spell, and we approached one of the entranced humans, how are they most likely to respond? Could we safely herd them together to allow for teleporting them away?

Spoiler: Darwin Zeppeli (click to show/hide)
You're pretty sure it will work but your understanding of exactly how this mind control works (apparently its not just the gas and its not a magic spell) isn't complete so you can't say for certain if the stimulant will be effective against it. It will help most likely but its not a magic cure.

Okie dokie.

d4 for 30 minutes or so.

You're not sure how they would respond to being removed. They might be so mindless and docile that they'd just follow what they're told to do; they might be something like a farm animal who will pull the plow until guided away. Or they might be straight up automata who will dumbly continue to perform actions regardless of area, or might resist changing areas. The spell, regardless, will not effect their interpretation of you; it effects only insects.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Send my wagon wheel rolling, hopefully squishing some of the bugs, then try to tie up as many as I can with my rope
You send your wagon wheel rolling. This has very little if any effect as it is
1. Not very heavy
and
2. The bugs are flying.

Tear open a small packet of glitter, pour a little on one of the machine guns that Saeko isn't enchanting, and use "animate" on the glitter.  The goal is to cause the glitter to hover above the MG's sights, and form little clumps in front of enemy bugs, so that they're easy to see and target.  Do not do this if it wouldn't use kno/sns, or if this would require more than 1d4 mana.

Beyond that, stay in the back with Saeko.  If a bug gets close and there's a clear shot, shoot at it with the spring pistol.

Spoiler: NEEEEERRD (click to show/hide)
[6v4] -4 mana.
As everyone pours out and is getting set up, you quickly dump out  packet of glitter into one hand and push mana into it. As soon as the spell settles in you drop the glitter onto the gun and it settles onto the metal for a moment before lifting back up and forming into rapidly shifting and moving lumps that zip about near the end of the gun.  I'm assuming that these are acting like a targeting system, showing where the gunner would have to aim in order to hit any particular bug, automatically compensating for leading them and such. Otherwise I don't really see the purpose.

(Naturegirl, don't forget to list the temporary buff pill on your sheet.  Also, charging into melee with d4 strength is extremely risky.)

In the short term I want to set up a toehold or defensive position in the cavern.  Hopefully surrounded by the fire barrier and smokescreen.  Set up the machine guns, and engage with ranged weapons to this end, cutting down the numbers of bugs and reducing the pressure on the melee guys and the guys with the bundles.  I'll send Benedict to help out if things start going bad, but keep him in reserve if things are going well.

Personally, I will be staying mostly back, helping out with spells.  I'll begin by buffing one of the machine guns with a Strengthen Speed spell to make it easier to maneuver and more accurate, allowing whoever's firing it to get more kills.

Spoiler: Saeko Hirahara (click to show/hide)
Ok. For the future, yell out things you want people to do, and then do the things you want to do as actions. Probably the easiest way to handle this what with my currently limited connectivity.

The two full mage breakers both slam their weapons against their shields like a drum and an expanding bubble of light grows outwards from them and encompasses about 100 or so feet around them, covering the group and cutting off at the cave wall behind them. The bugs slam into this bubble and immediately begin clawing and striking at it with their organic looking weapons, spraying corrosive goo and firing needle like stingers. One of the mage breakers shouts to you that this shield is temporary and not made for large groups; it won't last long. Gunners move into place and set up the Heavy machineguns as the mercs and militia fire effectively blindly into the great mass of squirming insect bodies. They have no real specific targets, just the wall of chitin quickly encasing the bubble.  The melee fighters move to the edge of the bubble and hack out at the insects, through several have their weapons ripped from their hands and you think one or two get too close and get pulled through.

The lesser mage breakers, the recruits and journeymen, begin their own work, weaving spells and bringing magical weapons to bear. The one you notice most is bowman whose shot arc slowly, gathering fire on their tips until they strike an enemy and detonate with great force.

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
  • Thank you TamerVirus for the avatar switcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1790 on: July 25, 2019, 01:26:27 pm »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Use the rope as a lasso to try and catch a group of bugs and slam them against the walls or floor

Lenglon

• Bay Watcher
  • Everyone cries, the question is what follows it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1791 on: July 25, 2019, 04:56:52 pm »

"Okay"
Do as the man says

((I don't think heating something that is right above us to a ridiculous degree is very smart. Worst case scenario we become +metal statues+. This is a finely crafted metal statue. It is encrusted with sharkmist and HMRC. On the item is an image of HMRC and Pancaek. Pancaek is laughing. The HMRC is melting. The artwork relates to the encasing of the HMRC in metal by Pancaek during the Mission of Many People.))

Devastator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1792 on: July 26, 2019, 02:33:38 am »

(Orders will be posted later, doing some RP first.)

"Ekrov, you do have that sketchbook, right?"

syvarris

• Bay Watcher
  • UNICORNPEGASUSKITTEN
    • View Profile
« Reply #1793 on: July 26, 2019, 02:38:13 am »

"What?  Uh, yeah, or--I have some sketches of Benedict, and the gyrotourbillon, but isn't that-" Ekrov frantically gestures towards the wall of enraged chitin "-more pressing right now?!"

Devastator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1794 on: July 26, 2019, 02:40:48 am »

"That's it.  You can animate things, right?  I got an animated painting packed up in my box from someone else.  Let me put a grow spell on it so it comes out big."

syvarris

• Bay Watcher
  • UNICORNPEGASUSKITTEN
    • View Profile
« Reply #1795 on: July 26, 2019, 02:44:14 am »

"Uh, that's--I don't think that will... oh, agh, okay!  I'll try!"  Ekrov turns and rummages through his backpack for a few seconds before yanking out a piece of paper with a large sketch of Benedict stretching.  He thrusts it into Saeko's hands, saying "Here!"

Devastator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1796 on: July 26, 2019, 02:49:23 am »

At that, Saeko quickly grabs the paper and attempts to cast a spell on it.  "Do you need more mana for the spell?"  Not waiting for the response, she reaches out and transfers 3 mana to Ekrov.

Orders to shout out.

Call out for the melee guys to hold back and be more careful, the machine guns are doing most of the damage.

Inform the magebreaker that I'm going to take Benedict up after a couple buffs, ask about buffing the shield itself with strengthen.

Just let the others know to keep the line tight and blast away at the bugs, and not the giant catbird about to go up.

Personal orders.  Run over to Ekrov, give him 3 mana.  Take his sketch page of Benedict and cast either a Strengthen Grow or Strengthen Expand (whichever one is relevant) with a very short temporary duration of ~10 minutes to make the animated creature that will come out of Ekrov animating it very large.. bigger than Benedict is, so it can't fit through the tunnel.

Then jump on Benedict, and use a Steel word to summon him a helmet to keep the bugs off his face and acid out of his eyes.  Do permanent if no harder than 1d6, otherwise make it temporary for as long as d4 lasts.  Look up and get ready for a moment to take off, but don't do it until after Ekrov's imitation griffen goes through first.

Spoiler: Saeko Hirahara (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: July 26, 2019, 04:00:06 am by Devastator »

syvarris

• Bay Watcher
  • UNICORNPEGASUSKITTEN
    • View Profile
« Reply #1797 on: July 26, 2019, 03:24:04 am »

"Ah, maybe--er, thanks?  Okay, I'll try now, just a moment!"

Yes, the glitter enchantment is supposed to act both as a targeting system, and a target finder.  Makes it easier to lead, and will make it easier to spot enemies once we start using smoke cover.  Anyway:

Take out the best sketch of Benedict that Ekrov has (he's got a bunch from spending most of a day drawing the monster) and cast "animate" on it as Saeko casts her growth spell, to temporarily animate the drawing into a fully real griffon.  The initial animation doesn't need to be huge--Saeko's spell should take care of size--so in theory it should only be d4 or d6 difficulty, since d6 can animate a full scale human permanently, while Ekrov is only trying to animate a smaller griffon for ten minutes or so.

Once the new griffon (Cenedict?  Maledict?) is up, direct it to fly outside the protective bubble and start ripping into the bugs with divebombing attacks.  Then, go loiter behind the MGs and anxiously watch as people die.  Maybe shoot at some bugs with the clockwork pistol, but don't risk hitting any friendlies.

Spoiler: NEEEEERRD (click to show/hide)

Ozarck

• Bay Watcher
  • DiceBane
    • View Profile
« Reply #1798 on: July 26, 2019, 03:12:13 pm »

Take the large basin (how big is it? if too big, take a smaller of the pieces of basin instead) to the first room and leave it below the hole, but not visible from above, in case any other looters come by. Then head down the stairs with the thornbush emblem

Hotfire90

« Reply #1799 on: July 27, 2019, 09:22:48 am »

Sell the loot I got, keeping 2 loaded pistols and the ammunition for them, also see if wyrm scales are being sold, buy them if they are.

After that check around for information about Sand Rays, specifically regarding body width and when and where they tend to sleep.

Spoiler: Robert Grant (click to show/hide)
Pages: 1 ... 118 119 [120] 121 122 ... 203