Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 120 121 [122] 123 124 ... 127

Author Topic: Cabal: Wizard Open World Game  (Read 85319 times)

Naturegirl1999

  • Bay Watcher
  • Thank you 0cra_tr0per for the link
    • View Profile
Re: Cabal: Wizard Open World Game
« Reply #1815 on: August 03, 2019, 04:38:33 pm »

(Don't see why not.)

(Although, if you do want an arm-weapon, you really probably want to improve your strength at your first opportunity.  Attacking with a d4 stat is an exercise in pain.)
(Will do)
Logged
GENERATION 28: The first time you see this, copy it into your signature on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment
Quote from: Naturegirl1999 IRL
*picks up pepper* “Look, a pickle” *puts down pepper* “wait, pickles and peppers are completely different instruments”
Moral of the story: Everyone has dumb moments, laugh at them

Ozarck

  • Bay Watcher
  • DiceBane
    • View Profile
Re: Cabal: Wizard Open World Game
« Reply #1816 on: August 04, 2019, 07:29:27 am »

"Guh. Still alive? Ow. Still alive. We still have adventures to come, my friends."

Check the Ghost Charm. also, are there other paths in this building? We've explored three rooms so far. Also, these plants are both alive and relatively controlled. It seems as if this ruin is either somehow magically governed, or has been recently tended. Do I detect either of those things? Also, are there lights down here? I know I have been using the orb for illumination, but what have these plants been using?

Spoiler: Felix Testimony (click to show/hide)

Hotfire90

  • Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Cabal: Wizard Open World Game
« Reply #1817 on: August 04, 2019, 10:19:35 am »

Fast forward to departure.
Spoiler: Robert Grant (click to show/hide)
Logged

Lenglon

  • Bay Watcher
  • Everyone cries, the question is what follows it.
    • View Profile
Re: Cabal: Wizard Open World Game
« Reply #1818 on: August 04, 2019, 10:31:13 am »

"Okay. How did we find out about this happening? Who reported it? Can I speak with them further? Since they cared enough to report it they might have done some investigating on their own and might be a good contact for the local slums, since they likely won't want to talk to outsiders. Um, also... that stuff you issued me... How do I use it?"
followup questions and request for basic weapons orientation since ive never used this stuff before and probably dont even know how to wear or hold it right.
Spoiler: Nina (click to show/hide)
Logged
((I don't think heating something that is right above us to a ridiculous degree is very smart. Worst case scenario we become +metal statues+. This is a finely crafted metal statue. It is encrusted with sharkmist and HMRC. On the item is an image of HMRC and Pancaek. Pancaek is laughing. The HMRC is melting. The artwork relates to the encasing of the HMRC in metal by Pancaek during the Mission of Many People.))

randomgenericusername

  • Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Cabal: Wizard Open World Game
« Reply #1819 on: August 05, 2019, 12:29:40 am »

Just stand there and try to look like I understand what's being said. Let Nina do the whole thinking for now, since I'm not very good at that.

Spoiler: Randolf Osborn (click to show/hide)
Logged
The dog behind the man behind the beard.
Immortality like that would be even more game breaking than four Aaron's in one place.
You're both so obviously scum that this is a surprisingly difficult decision.

Radio Controlled

  • Bay Watcher
  • Morals? Ethics? Conscience? HA!
    • View Profile
Re: Cabal: Wizard Open World Game
« Reply #1820 on: August 05, 2019, 08:16:19 am »

Quote
You search about, heading deeper and deeper into the structure. Its hard to say where the ground floor is; there are no windows after you get far enough down so you might be under the cave floor. However, you cannot find any thing that you would characterize as a big support beam or similar. You come to the conclusion that this thing is probably kept together largely though the strength of its outer wall and inner structures, much like a termite mound. In that case it might be more effective to go outside and collapse thing thing like cutting down a tree, weakening the "Casing" on one side and letting the weight take care of the rest.

Go back outside via the ropes and search for where our bomb could do the most damage.

If we collapse the tower, does it seem likely that the mind-altering effects will cease (aka it's an active effect that would probably be interrupted by the whole bloody tower coming down) or does that seem unlikely?


Quote
I did. In fact I may have gone way too far and transformed it into something else~
And now I suddenly dread opening up discord on my laptop at home. Strange, that.  :P


Spoiler: Darwin Zeppeli (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: August 05, 2019, 08:20:31 am by Radio Controlled »
Logged


Einsteinian Roulette Wiki
Quote from: you know who you are
21:26   <XYZ>: I know nothing about this, but I have strong opinions about it.
Fucking hell, you guys are worse than the demons.

syvarris

  • Bay Watcher
  • UNICORNPEGASUSKITTEN
    • View Profile
Re: Cabal: Wizard Open World Game
« Reply #1821 on: August 06, 2019, 02:09:07 pm »

((It's Ekrov, Dev.  Ekrov.))

Help with the triage efforts, start treating anyone who has serious wounds but isn't getting aped.  Ekrov has d12 know and medical supplies, so I think he should be pretty good at stabilizing people?  Emphasis on stabilizing, serious treatment can come later.

...Maybe help with the bug capture too, if all the seriously injured people get treatment.  If nothing else, there's prolly a few crippled and dying bugs that Ekrov can stabilize.


Spoiler: NEEEEERRD (click to show/hide)

piecewise

  • Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
Re: Cabal: Wizard Open World Game
« Reply #1822 on: August 07, 2019, 09:57:33 am »

"Guh. Still alive? Ow. Still alive. We still have adventures to come, my friends."

Check the Ghost Charm. also, are there other paths in this building? We've explored three rooms so far. Also, these plants are both alive and relatively controlled. It seems as if this ruin is either somehow magically governed, or has been recently tended. Do I detect either of those things? Also, are there lights down here? I know I have been using the orb for illumination, but what have these plants been using?

Spoiler: Felix Testimony (click to show/hide)
You check the ghost charm. Nothing nearby.

There is another path; in this room even. Its not easy to see, but at the end of this "V" shaped room is another doorway seemingly identical to the one you entered through.

If you had to guess, you'd say that this stuff is magically maintained. Specifically probably enchanted mechanisms that have just been autonomously operating.

In terms of illumination the plants are producing some light themselves but otherwise the room is dark and has no light sources. Maybe these plants don't need light? Its true they aren't the standard green color that plants on the surface are.

Fast forward to departure.
Spoiler: Robert Grant (click to show/hide)

About a day and a half later you're back on the ship and shoving off, a new cargo loaded onto the beetles and the merchants grumbling bitterly about profits lost because of the attack in the desert.  The passage this time goes much more quietly, round about until the 75% mark at which point the barge grinds to a halt. You join everyone else in looking around and asking what is going on. You are informed that the barge seems to have run aground or caught on something just below the flux and they're going to need to get someone down there to figure out what it is and how to get off it without tearing a big hole in the ship.


Just stand there and try to look like I understand what's being said. Let Nina do the whole thinking for now, since I'm not very good at that.

Spoiler: Randolf Osborn (click to show/hide)
"Okay. How did we find out about this happening? Who reported it? Can I speak with them further? Since they cared enough to report it they might have done some investigating on their own and might be a good contact for the local slums, since they likely won't want to talk to outsiders. Um, also... that stuff you issued me... How do I use it?"
followup questions and request for basic weapons orientation since ive never used this stuff before and probably dont even know how to wear or hold it right.
Spoiler: Nina (click to show/hide)

"Family members or the people themselves reported it and we saw a pattern.  You can talk to anyone willing to talk to you. I'll give you a list of the victims and you can expand your questioning from there."

"Well, thats a sword. You hit people with the sharp parts to make them stop bugging you. The shield is something you put in front of someone who is bugging you as a preventative measure to potentially lethal levels of harassment. The bombs are on a 3 second fuse, light and throw. Standard fragmentation type. Manacles are magic dispersion type; slap them on a wizard and they'll have a real hard time making new spells. Catch pole is for catching without injuring. Use it like a spear, but pin limbs to walls or the ground on the inside of it."

(Google "Mancatcher" if you're not sure what I'm talking about with the catch pole. Its fairly self evident via the design)

Randolf nods and strokes his chin, knowingly...or at least seemingly knowingly.

Quote
You search about, heading deeper and deeper into the structure. Its hard to say where the ground floor is; there are no windows after you get far enough down so you might be under the cave floor. However, you cannot find any thing that you would characterize as a big support beam or similar. You come to the conclusion that this thing is probably kept together largely though the strength of its outer wall and inner structures, much like a termite mound. In that case it might be more effective to go outside and collapse thing thing like cutting down a tree, weakening the "Casing" on one side and letting the weight take care of the rest.

Go back outside via the ropes and search for where our bomb could do the most damage.

If we collapse the tower, does it seem likely that the mind-altering effects will cease (aka it's an active effect that would probably be interrupted by the whole bloody tower coming down) or does that seem unlikely?


Quote
I did. In fact I may have gone way too far and transformed it into something else~
And now I suddenly dread opening up discord on my laptop at home. Strange, that.  :P


Spoiler: Darwin Zeppeli (click to show/hide)

(Do not avert your gaze)

[4v5]

You get outside and search around the exterior for a weak point. However, to your eyes, the exterior is nothing but one big slab with no chink or seam to exploit.  You think that, in the absence of that, it might be best to simply pick a point and start blowing stuff up. Probably not the most efficient but also inevitably effective with enough force.

Hard to say. A lot of the infrastructure here is gonna fall apart if the tower goes; like the devices that seem to be draining energy in these little slums. But whether or not EVERYTHING will vanish when the tower does, that's unknown. Still, blowing it up will definitely help.

Land and proceed with the cleanup phase.  Triage the wounded, and spend a few spells saving the lives of anyone critically injured with my Ape word.  Use Strengthen Ape if it seems necessary.  As always try to make any limb replacements or such as human as possible.

Evacuate anyone significantly wounded, too.  Use judgement.. if someone has an ape arm now but is fine, that guy can continue.  People who have serious wounds but didn't need magic to save their lives should leave the cavern and head back.

As for other people, drop the bundles for the fire barricade, although don't light it yet.  Have the magebreaker assault team leave.  Get two groups of people organized to rescue the wounded prisoners, each group with one machinegunner, and send them off.  Give each group one of the magic necklaces to help them stabilize someone who needs it.

As for personal orders, I'll be hanging back with the main group, along with Benedict.  If possible (assuming not too many people critically wounded, keep at least one crippled bug thing alive for examination.  (I want to know if it's a pure summon or a created animal species or transformed person or something else.)

Spoiler: Saeko Hirahara (click to show/hide)
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Hit the bugs near me with my pry bar while using my aluminum arm as another weapon
((It's Ekrov, Dev.  Ekrov.))

Help with the triage efforts, start treating anyone who has serious wounds but isn't getting aped.  Ekrov has d12 know and medical supplies, so I think he should be pretty good at stabilizing people?  Emphasis on stabilizing, serious treatment can come later.

...Maybe help with the bug capture too, if all the seriously injured people get treatment.  If nothing else, there's prolly a few crippled and dying bugs that Ekrov can stabilize.


Spoiler: NEEEEERRD (click to show/hide)
Saeko lands and hops off Benedict, jogging over to meet up with Ekrov while Eve continues beating on the few remaining insects.  Things are looking good and Saeko and Ekrov are moving to start helping the injured and draw the forces back together when something happens.

A note, a single note sung by a woman, echoes through the cavern.  Everyone turns to look for the source, though that is hard to say due to the echo. Another note, this time louder and more easy to localize. It seems to be coming from the direction of the tower.  A moment of silence, then the rush of air being pulled in followed by a third note. This one is different.

The other two had been simple tones, operatic but simple. Almost like a singer warming up their voice. This one is so loud it shakes the cavern, causing dust and small fragments of stone to be shaken from the ceiling and rain down. It is no simple tone either. That tone is still there, overlayed on a dozen other voices and a blood chilling scream.  The air near the top of the tower seems to writhe and churn, as though being stirred up by an unimaginably great force.

Eve, Saeko, and Ekrov cover their ears against the noise but still they feel it pass through them. They feel their emotions and desires twist and contort. Anger, sadness, fear, uncertainty, apathy, they all pass through them in a way that is both exhausting and disorienting.  As it passes they feel like they have lived through a year's worth of emotions within a few seconds.  The others around them seem to be faring similarly and are in varying states of standing, sitting, kneeling and bowled over.

The singing from the tower continues, this time in a language no one understands, and spheres of churning purple light are gathering near the tower in flowing lines and formations. 

Naturegirl1999

  • Bay Watcher
  • Thank you 0cra_tr0per for the link
    • View Profile
Re: Cabal: Wizard Open World Game
« Reply #1823 on: August 07, 2019, 10:03:51 am »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Try to heal someone using the supplies in my med bag, while avoiding the spheres
Logged
GENERATION 28: The first time you see this, copy it into your signature on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment
Quote from: Naturegirl1999 IRL
*picks up pepper* “Look, a pickle” *puts down pepper* “wait, pickles and peppers are completely different instruments”
Moral of the story: Everyone has dumb moments, laugh at them

Radio Controlled

  • Bay Watcher
  • Morals? Ethics? Conscience? HA!
    • View Profile
Re: Cabal: Wizard Open World Game
« Reply #1824 on: August 07, 2019, 11:50:24 am »

Well then. Pick a point so that the tower will collapse in the direction of the fewest buildings (to try and avoid people that might still be in there). Then set thaumbomb (fill with 5-6 thaum as per your earlier estimate, or a bit more if needed). Add a bunch of our flammable oil (from our oil flasks) to make the boom bigger if possible (we have quite a bit of it). Set timer to how much time the bugspell will last minus a couple minutes, if possible camouflage/hide the bomb a little to prevent the buggers from seeing it.

Then go approach a villager and carefully approach, see how they react. Do they look herdable?



Spoiler: Darwin Zeppeli (click to show/hide)
Logged


Einsteinian Roulette Wiki
Quote from: you know who you are
21:26   <XYZ>: I know nothing about this, but I have strong opinions about it.
Fucking hell, you guys are worse than the demons.

Ozarck

  • Bay Watcher
  • DiceBane
    • View Profile
Re: Cabal: Wizard Open World Game
« Reply #1825 on: August 08, 2019, 06:50:03 am »

Boldly we stride onward - through the opposite door1 Let's see what's behind the plantland.

Spoiler: Felix Testimony (click to show/hide)

Hotfire90

  • Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Cabal: Wizard Open World Game
« Reply #1826 on: August 08, 2019, 08:37:58 pm »

Attach the rope to myself via the harness and tell the others to pull me up if I'm having difficulties, then dive down into the flux and search for whatever is blocking the barge.
Spoiler: Robert Grant (click to show/hide)
Logged

Devastator

  • Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Cabal: Wizard Open World Game
« Reply #1827 on: August 09, 2019, 08:19:12 pm »

Purple?  Is that the same colour as they were above ground?  I thought those ones were green.

Do the magebreakers know anything about this?  And do they have a channeler?

Got lots of ideas, but right now I think magebreakers would know better.  Only one to put through right now is if summoning weak creatures to take the spell for us would be effective.

Lots of other ideas, like trying to link said channeler to a machine gun to try and absorb the incoming spells through the bullets.  Or just upsizing a machinegun heavily and trying to kill the mage via lucky shots.  Go with whatever plan seems viable to them.


Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Logged

Lenglon

  • Bay Watcher
  • Everyone cries, the question is what follows it.
    • View Profile
Re: Cabal: Wizard Open World Game
« Reply #1828 on: August 10, 2019, 04:46:41 pm »

"Thanks, I guess."
So its just for show? I know it can't be as simple as chopping wood, but I guess they wont teach me properly until ive proven myself.
I guess Ill start by visiting one of the victims, preferably the most recent one, and speaking with them It's especially important that Adam gets a chance to look the over in case he sees something I cant, but if they have any injuries I want to inspect them to see exactly what they are and how they were inflicted, being an expert on the subject.
Spoiler: Nina (click to show/hide)
Logged
((I don't think heating something that is right above us to a ridiculous degree is very smart. Worst case scenario we become +metal statues+. This is a finely crafted metal statue. It is encrusted with sharkmist and HMRC. On the item is an image of HMRC and Pancaek. Pancaek is laughing. The HMRC is melting. The artwork relates to the encasing of the HMRC in metal by Pancaek during the Mission of Many People.))

piecewise

  • Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
Re: Cabal: Wizard Open World Game
« Reply #1829 on: August 11, 2019, 09:13:34 am »

Boldly we stride onward - through the opposite door1 Let's see what's behind the plantland.

Spoiler: Felix Testimony (click to show/hide)
Boldly striding is a bit difficult considering the vines and roots and such absolutely littering the floor, so you instead carefully make your way forward on tip toes, short hops, scrambling half ducking advances and one final  deep lunge.

Through the doorway is a lab: A double set of metal tables, partially rusted away, stone shelves with glass bottles -some stained and empty, others partially full with various non-evaporating fluids or powders- and scattered tools of both metal and glass. There is a shelf as well but it was made of wood and has crumbled into a pile of lumber only just recognizable due to the length of the rotting boards and the books and materials scattered around the wreckage. The books are now nothing more than the badly decayed covers with some remnants of the pages but nothing usable.

There is another doorway here, though there is a wooden door baring the way. You test it and it seems either locked or stuck.

Attach the rope to myself via the harness and tell the others to pull me up if I'm having difficulties, then dive down into the flux and search for whatever is blocking the barge.
Spoiler: Robert Grant (click to show/hide)
You volunteer and tie your rope around your waist before handing it off to the other crew and telling them to pull you up if you give the rope three sharp yanks. That done, you close your eyes and dive straight into the flux. The flux is a lot like tar, though far more fluid in consistency, and you cannot open your eyes or look around while under it. Even if you could, there would be no light to see anything by. All you can do is swim under the boat and search around by touch for the blockage.
[1v2]
You search for what feels like a painfully long time and then scramble back to the surface, unable to find the cause of the block. You float there a while, catching your breath.

"Thanks, I guess."
So its just for show? I know it can't be as simple as chopping wood, but I guess they wont teach me properly until ive proven myself.
I guess Ill start by visiting one of the victims, preferably the most recent one, and speaking with them It's especially important that Adam gets a chance to look the over in case he sees something I cant, but if they have any injuries I want to inspect them to see exactly what they are and how they were inflicted, being an expert on the subject.
Spoiler: Nina (click to show/hide)

((He can't very well teach you everything about using a sword out here on the street.  The weapons are real and functional, its just up to you to use them. Even a combat medic has a side arm))

You leave he headquarters and head out to the address you have for the most recent victim. The place is a small one, a rented room above a bakery and you have to take a ramshackle staircase up the back of the building to reach it. The man who answers the door looks like a newly escaped slave; he is the type of skinny people get only from being worked very hard for very long periods. Not the half skeletal, half bloated skinny of starvation but the wiry, jerky like appearance of a body struggling to remain functional against a crushing exertion.   His eyes are sunken and tired but oddly display none of the haunted or beaten down dullness you'd expect from someone who has undergone what he must of. They are still bright and alert. 

You tell him who you are and where you're from and ask him to let you in to look him over. He agrees and you have him sit on his bed while you examine him.  Like the mage breaker said, aside from the clear state of exhaustion he is mostly unharmed. A few bruises, a long horizontal cut on his shin like he ran into something or maybe hit himself while swinging a hoe, and some blisters and callouses on his hands.  You ask Adam to look him over and the spirit responds with:

"Locked. Mind. Capture. Held. There, there! Mark of Manacles upon the mind! Slave. Work. Why?"

Well then. Pick a point so that the tower will collapse in the direction of the fewest buildings (to try and avoid people that might still be in there). Then set thaumbomb (fill with 5-6 thaum as per your earlier estimate, or a bit more if needed). Add a bunch of our flammable oil (from our oil flasks) to make the boom bigger if possible (we have quite a bit of it). Set timer to how much time the bugspell will last minus a couple minutes, if possible camouflage/hide the bomb a little to prevent the buggers from seeing it.

Then go approach a villager and carefully approach, see how they react. Do they look herdable?



Spoiler: Darwin Zeppeli (click to show/hide)
[5v4]
You get everything set up, pumping 8 mana into the bomb and surrounding it with 10 of the oil flasks before dumping 1 box worth of rags over it to hide the whole thing. That done you run off into the fields towards the first human you see: a middle age man who is staring up at the tower, a hand scythe held loosely in one hand and a bunch of freshly cut weeds in the other.  As you get closer he notices you and turns to stare with wide and uncomprehending eyes. He lurches at you and takes an awkward swing with his scythe, but he's not even in range so it misses. Awkward though it is, there is a lot of force behind it. You scramble back a few steps and he pursues, slowly, stumbling after you.


Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Try to heal someone using the supplies in my med bag, while avoiding the spheres
[10v4]
You begin moving around, helping anyone nearby as best you can, bandaging and suturing and generally stopping blood loss where you can. There are a lot of people here and a fair number are injured so you just try to help as many as possible.

Purple?  Is that the same colour as they were above ground?  I thought those ones were green.

Do the magebreakers know anything about this?  And do they have a channeler?

Got lots of ideas, but right now I think magebreakers would know better.  Only one to put through right now is if summoning weak creatures to take the spell for us would be effective.

Lots of other ideas, like trying to link said channeler to a machine gun to try and absorb the incoming spells through the bullets.  Or just upsizing a machinegun heavily and trying to kill the mage via lucky shots.  Go with whatever plan seems viable to them.


Spoiler (click to show/hide)

No...these aren't like the others. These are something new.

You run over to the mage breakers and ask if they know whats going on.  The spear wielding breaker plants her weapon in the ground and looks at the situation.

"I think we're against a siren." She says after a moment, "They're a construct creature built using a human base. Their songs can alter the mind, changing what people and beasts think or understand. The actual song itself isn't magical, it works via some other principle we don't know. Sonic alteration of brain chemistry probably but the exact method, who knows. But that thing...thats way beyond what a siren should be. Not even the Royal sirens that used to be used by the king were of that caliber. And they shouldn't be able to invoke something like that," She points at the increasing number of shadowy orbs, "with song alone."

You ask if she has any ideas about what should be done.

"Likely the humans down here are under her control. She's probably made them hostile to us so this is gonna get a lot harder now. We got two options as I see it: either we keep going with the plan of just grabbing everyone we can and then collapsing the cavern, or we try to strike that thing directly and break its control over the people. We might be able to do it from a distance like we did with the blimp on the way here."
Pages: 1 ... 120 121 [122] 123 124 ... 127