Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 122 123 [124] 125 126 127

Author Topic: Cabal: Wizard Open World Game  (Read 85199 times)

Lenglon

  • Bay Watcher
  • Everyone cries, the question is what follows it.
    • View Profile
Re: Cabal: Wizard Open World Game
« Reply #1845 on: August 21, 2019, 02:57:35 pm »

Report back with findings including what Adam told me. add that I suspect victims are being controlled by mind-effects and used for labor but are being returned once their body nears its limit, as such the kidnappers might not be without morals though its too early to be sure. Propose baiting the kidnappers with a strong-willed channeler that is a young fit male by dressing them in dockworker's clothes and having them wander the slums seemingly alone. Possible backup could trail them at a distance.
Spoiler: Nina (click to show/hide)
Logged
((I don't think heating something that is right above us to a ridiculous degree is very smart. Worst case scenario we become +metal statues+. This is a finely crafted metal statue. It is encrusted with sharkmist and HMRC. On the item is an image of HMRC and Pancaek. Pancaek is laughing. The HMRC is melting. The artwork relates to the encasing of the HMRC in metal by Pancaek during the Mission of Many People.))

Pancaek

  • Bay Watcher
  • Real stupidity beats artificial intelligence
    • View Profile
Re: Cabal: Wizard Open World Game
« Reply #1846 on: August 21, 2019, 03:04:57 pm »

Stand guard while Darwin his brainy stuff. Help out where he needs me.

Spoiler:  Écalir Speedwagon (click to show/hide)
Logged

piecewise

  • Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
Re: Cabal: Wizard Open World Game
« Reply #1847 on: August 23, 2019, 12:39:54 pm »

Move the finger out of the way, should the finger refuse to move, try to sever it with my axe.
Spoiler: Robert Grant (click to show/hide)
You give the finger a great deal of shoving and some wacks with the ax but it remains firm. You get another lungful of air and then start tracing the shape of the thing, following it deeper. The finger is attached to a hand, which is attached to an arm. There seems to be a whole goddamn figure or maybe even automaton down here; something of absurd size.

You think that maybe...maybe you could get the finger to move by manipulating the mechanics of the thing but...at the same time an automata of this size would be worth...well you probably wouldn't have to worry about money ever again.

Mark this location, then retrieve the washbasin and climb up out of this ruin - tie the basin with the rope to lift it out: make a sort of basket loop if i can't tie a handle or something. Return with my loot to the city and sell the basin for gold. Then attempt to purchase a kitten for the Shepherdess.

Spoiler: Felix Testimony (click to show/hide)
You manage to get back out of this place with relatively little effort. Sure, the climb out of the hole in the ceiling was pretty awkward and difficult for someone of your middling physique but you managed it. They try hard to undersell you on the basin but you search around until you find someone who buys it for 45 gold.  You take that cash and use 1 gold to buy the Shepherdess a kitten. She rewards you with 24 mana! When you ask her what she wants next she says she is tired and doesn't  want anything for a while.

Report back with findings including what Adam told me. add that I suspect victims are being controlled by mind-effects and used for labor but are being returned once their body nears its limit, as such the kidnappers might not be without morals though its too early to be sure. Propose baiting the kidnappers with a strong-willed channeler that is a young fit male by dressing them in dockworker's clothes and having them wander the slums seemingly alone. Possible backup could trail them at a distance.
Spoiler: Nina (click to show/hide)
The Magebreakers concur with your idea and similarly agree that a sting might be best. However, they offer a different take on it. They purpose  not simply capturing the kidnapper in the act but allowing them to take a planted individual and then tracking them back to whatever hideout they're using. They say they would prefer this method because there may still be victims in bondage and multiple criminals. Capturing just the kidnapper would not necessarily result in the aid of others or the capture of conspirators.

Wait, why would you roll for Ecalir and Darwin there? Shouldn't we be way back in the past of whatever is happening here? Cause at no point have you mentioned us noticing any of those events up till now, far as I know, so I thought it wasn't simultaneous. Does this mean we can also see that singing thing, since we're close to the tower? Does that perhaps resemble the guts Darwin felt before?

Anyway, does it seem likely we can restrain and gather all of the people in this field in a timely manner (assuming we get that rope working)? And what if we just had Ecalir here go around and bonk fools on the head? Guessing either will take too long given the time we have left?




Spoiler: Darwin Zeppeli (click to show/hide)
Honestly, I just forgot to the first time and decided not to retcon it. I'm assuming all this is happening at the same time because...well...it would be very easy to create a time paradox if not. I mean, what if you blow up the tower? Dev and friends would suddenly be fighting something that shouldn't exist. Oh well.

Also yeah, thats in the right place for the "Guts" though...not quite right? There's something more behind that thing up there. Literally and figuratively.

All of them? Probably not. MAYBE on a really good roll. But you can get a fair number. Bonking implies you'd have to carry them though, which would reduce that number. The tied ones will still walk after all.

(They're definately important, but those are not the two people who will murder everyone in melee, Siren.  Bit of a whoops there.)

Direct the fire of the autocannon towards the siren with the spyglass and my magic-enhanced vision.  Have my two guards keep people clear of myself and the gunner.  Open fire, and lets hopefully end this.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
[4+1v8][1+1 (on a goddamn d20)] [5v3]

The autocannon fires a burst of shells, following your commands of where to aim.  The balcony where the siren is basically detonates  as the rounds strike it, powderizing it and immediately obscuring everything behind a wall of dust. The song does stop, cut off abruptly, but the shadowy orbs keep coming. A barrier, much like the original one that protected the allied forces in their first moments of battle, flares into existence in front of the orbs and the two strain against each other. But after a few moments the shield distorts and then pops like a soap bubble.  You dive for cover as the orbs silently impact all around you.  They do not explode or throw flames or anything of the kind. They simply seem to delete spherical sections of earth - or whatever else- when they land.  You, luckily, happen not to be in their path.

[1+1v6]

The others are not so lucky. The orbs land in silence and disappear in silence, but screams quickly fill the air. The field and the men on it have been perforated with enormous holes. Many died instantly, others are left with great cookie cutter wounds. Legs, arms, hands, feet, slices of torso, all were vanished instantly and left nothing but cleanly severed stumps.  The fighting force has been reduced by half, if not more. Those remaining are starting to turn, to flee, morale broken by the sudden devastating blow. Some drag injured, others are running alone.

While I'm terribly tempted to simply not post Ekrov's sheet, thus forcing him to autoroll 1, I'd like to have him shake off this mind control.  Roll to resist!

...Failing that, stab people with the steel stilleto, I guess.


Spoiler: NEEEEERRD (click to show/hide)
Can I still think when my body is being controlled? If so, attempt to resist, if not, follow my programming and head towards the nearest target
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
[8v3][2v2]

Ekrov clearly avoids the attack intentionally, the mind control broken the instant the singing stops. Eve avoids it as well, though far more unintentionally as she stumbles over backwards and finds herself sitting at the edge of a crater, dazed.



Across the field, the brain washed civilians come to their senses somewhat. The effect has been on them longer, so they don't snap back as easily as Ekrov and Eve, instead they sort of lurch into a half waking state, like drunks or sleep walkers. They stand in a daze, staring uncomprehendingly at the world around them.


Naturegirl1999

  • Bay Watcher
  • My avatar wont show up. does Imgur not work?
    • View Profile
Re: Cabal: Wizard Open World Game
« Reply #1848 on: August 23, 2019, 12:54:35 pm »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
try to get myself out of the daze and help some of the other dazed people out of the cave
« Last Edit: August 23, 2019, 06:33:54 pm by Naturegirl1999 »
Logged
GENERATION 28: The first time you see this, copy it into your signature on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment
Quote from: Naturegirl1999 IRL
*picks up pepper* “Look, a pickle” *puts down pepper* “wait, pickles and peppers are completely different instruments”
Moral of the story: Everyone has dumb moments, laugh at them

Ozarck

  • Bay Watcher
  • DiceBane
    • View Profile
Re: Cabal: Wizard Open World Game
« Reply #1849 on: August 23, 2019, 06:25:04 pm »

Alright time for a bit of shopping. Purchase
1 collapsible 15 ft ladder, sturdy enough to use as a bridge
1 pet carrier
1 pet harness with leash
1 prybar
1 rope (so that I have 2)
provisions

invest 2 mana in my glowy orb of shininess

return to the undercity via the same route I took before


Spoiler: Felix Testimony (click to show/hide)

Devastator

  • Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Cabal: Wizard Open World Game
« Reply #1851 on: August 24, 2019, 11:05:58 am »

If there's someone nearby who can be saved with an Ape spell, to make a replacement human-ish limb, do so.

After that, don't try to rally the group.  Let them mostly leave, with the bug army dead we don't need another army.  Do try to rally three people.  One to re-man the autocannon, two to wait near the exit.  Between Benedict, the mage-breakers, and my two personal guards we should be able to evacuate any injured but surviveable people. 
(estimated casulties ~35.  Started with 80 people, sent some back, and then took 50% losses.)

After rallying the people, start leading people towards the exit.  Cast a temporary strengthen spell on my voice, of appropriate strength, and shout to the wandering now-freed slaves to come towards the escape route.  Use Benedict as appropriate.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: August 24, 2019, 12:24:15 pm by Devastator »
Logged

Hotfire90

  • Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Cabal: Wizard Open World Game
« Reply #1852 on: August 24, 2019, 11:22:29 am »

Would it be possible for me to remember the  location of where the automaton is located in the flux? If so, attempt to move the finger aside by trying the mechanisms. Otherwise, see if I can attach some of my rope to its arm and then head back up the boat and let the merchants know about the massive automaton, how immensely valuable it would be and that I could potentially help with retrieving it by shrinking its size with magic.
Spoiler: Robert Grant (click to show/hide)
Logged

syvarris

  • Bay Watcher
  • UNICORNPEGASUSKITTEN
    • View Profile
Re: Cabal: Wizard Open World Game
« Reply #1853 on: August 27, 2019, 03:24:26 am »

Just start treating injured that look like they have a chance of survival.  Tourniquets, man, tourniquets!

Spoiler: NEEEEERRD (click to show/hide)

piecewise

  • Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
Re: Cabal: Wizard Open World Game
« Reply #1854 on: August 27, 2019, 05:19:13 pm »

Alright time for a bit of shopping. Purchase
1 collapsible 15 ft ladder, sturdy enough to use as a bridge
1 pet carrier
1 pet harness with leash
1 prybar
1 rope (so that I have 2)
provisions

invest 2 mana in my glowy orb of shininess

return to the undercity via the same route I took before


Spoiler: Felix Testimony (click to show/hide)

15 gold total, mostly the ladder.

Done.

And we'll say you make it back without issue. Its getting into the mid afternoon by this point. Not that it matters underground.

Would it be possible for me to remember the  location of where the automaton is located in the flux? If so, attempt to move the finger aside by trying the mechanisms. Otherwise, see if I can attach some of my rope to its arm and then head back up the boat and let the merchants know about the massive automaton, how immensely valuable it would be and that I could potentially help with retrieving it by shrinking its size with magic.
Spoiler: Robert Grant (click to show/hide)
Remembering where something is in a lake is gonna be hard, especially when its just in the middle of the lake somewhere. However, if you were to mark it somehow, like with a buoy or some other floating thing tied to it, that is a lot easier to find.
 [4v2]
Also...telling these merchants about the thing might be a good way to get swindled, you think. Something like this is worth more than their entire shipment, maybe several shipments depending on the state of it. And its not like you have any real claim on it just because you discovered it under the boat. They might try to make some bad deal with you or, if they're less moral, just outright kill you for it. Suddenly introducing a ton of money to a situation on a lawless sea is dangerous.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
try to get myself out of the daze and help some of the other dazed people out of the cave
Just start treating injured that look like they have a chance of survival.  Tourniquets, man, tourniquets!

Spoiler: NEEEEERRD (click to show/hide)
[6v4]
Eve starts dragging people back to the mouth of the cave, lending them a shoulder or just straight up dragging those that cannot walk. Its not easy going, there are a lot of bodies to get over and a lot of injured people clawing at her legs, trying to get her to bring them too. In the meantime Ekrov starts providing medical care for those who look...for lack of a better word,  Salvageable. He mostly just moves between those with large amputations and does his best to stop the bleeding, tourniquets and gauze are basically the only order of the day.


If there's someone nearby who can be saved with an Ape spell, to make a replacement human-ish limb, do so.

After that, don't try to rally the group.  Let them mostly leave, with the bug army dead we don't need another army.  Do try to rally three people.  One to re-man the autocannon, two to wait near the exit.  Between Benedict, the mage-breakers, and my two personal guards we should be able to evacuate any injured but surviveable people. 
(estimated casulties ~35.  Started with 80 people, sent some back, and then took 50% losses.)

After rallying the people, start leading people towards the exit.  Cast a temporary strengthen spell on my voice, of appropriate strength, and shout to the wandering now-freed slaves to come towards the escape route.  Use Benedict as appropriate.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
[9v1]
You get up on a small rise of stone and shout  "TO ME!"  Then though some meaningful looks and pointing you gather the three people you need. You get one to man the autocannon and two to take up posts near the exit. That done, you coordinate with the mage breakers, Benedict, your guards, and a handful of others who help you get the injured back into the cavern.

As the last of the injured allied forces are being carried past, one of the mage breakers steps up beside you.

"I don't like this. It was too easy."

"This," You say, gesturing at the field of blood and bodies, "Was too easy?"

"For something that could make and sustain this kind of kingdom? Yes. We need to get out of here and drop the ceiling on it as soon as we can."


Naturegirl1999

  • Bay Watcher
  • My avatar wont show up. does Imgur not work?
    • View Profile
Re: Cabal: Wizard Open World Game
« Reply #1855 on: August 27, 2019, 05:35:01 pm »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Continue getting people out of the cave, whether injured or dazed, while being careful not to injure anyone any further while helping them out of the cave
« Last Edit: August 28, 2019, 09:47:30 am by Naturegirl1999 »
Logged
GENERATION 28: The first time you see this, copy it into your signature on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment
Quote from: Naturegirl1999 IRL
*picks up pepper* “Look, a pickle” *puts down pepper* “wait, pickles and peppers are completely different instruments”
Moral of the story: Everyone has dumb moments, laugh at them

Devastator

  • Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Cabal: Wizard Open World Game
« Reply #1856 on: August 27, 2019, 07:01:34 pm »

"Well.. Get on with it, then..  I want to get as many of these people out as possible before you do it."

Let the magebreakers get started on whatever they need to collapse the cavern.  Get as many rescued people out as possible.  Keep count of everyone so we can make sure everyone who leaves makes it up.  Give the amulets to the guys at the cavern exit, so they can use them on two people who need them.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Logged

Lenglon

  • Bay Watcher
  • Everyone cries, the question is what follows it.
    • View Profile
Re: Cabal: Wizard Open World Game
« Reply #1857 on: August 28, 2019, 08:15:50 am »

((Lenglon is not comfortable issuing commands to Randolf to take a large risk like this without his consent.))
Are there any volunteers for the *bait* role? I'm fairly certain that I'm not a member of the target demographic.

Spoiler: Nina (click to show/hide)
Logged
((I don't think heating something that is right above us to a ridiculous degree is very smart. Worst case scenario we become +metal statues+. This is a finely crafted metal statue. It is encrusted with sharkmist and HMRC. On the item is an image of HMRC and Pancaek. Pancaek is laughing. The HMRC is melting. The artwork relates to the encasing of the HMRC in metal by Pancaek during the Mission of Many People.))

Hotfire90

  • Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Cabal: Wizard Open World Game
« Reply #1858 on: August 28, 2019, 09:36:29 am »

Head back up then and look for something that floats and is preferably nearly the size of a buoy. If asked, reply that I found the obstruction and that I need something to pull it away from the boat.
Assuming I found a suitable object, attach my other rope to it and to the hand of the automaton, then use the mechanism to move it out of the way of the boat.

Also ask the merchants how similar the current route is compared to the ones they usually take.

Spoiler: Robert Grant (click to show/hide)
Logged

Ozarck

  • Bay Watcher
  • DiceBane
    • View Profile
Re: Cabal: Wizard Open World Game
« Reply #1859 on: August 28, 2019, 03:16:44 pm »

If I can use the ladder as a bridge across the chasm, do that. It's half the reason I bought it. Then, once across, make a base camp, explore the immediate area, play with the kitty, and sleep.

Spoiler: Felix Testimony (click to show/hide)
Pages: 1 ... 122 123 [124] 125 126 127