Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 123 124 [125] 126 127 ... 203

Author Topic: Cabal: Wizard Open World Game  (Read 341562 times)

syvarris

• Bay Watcher
  • UNICORNPEGASUSKITTEN
    • View Profile
Re: Cabal: Wizard Open World Game
« Reply #1860 on: August 29, 2019, 04:24:00 pm »

...Before we abandon the last of the corpses, look around for someone who's very dead, but whose skull is... retrievable, without too much cutting needed immediately.  An unlucky clean decapitation without too much of the torso.  If a convenient severed head is found, jam it into a bag where people won't be able to see it.  If a decent ranged or melee weapon happens to be laying around, grab that too, but that's not at all a priority--just pick one up if noticed.

Otherwise, continue treating wounded people.

Spoiler: NEEEEERRD (click to show/hide)

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • Are you a duelist?
    • View Profile
« Reply #1861 on: August 29, 2019, 06:43:50 pm »

*yawn* Wow, that was some nap. Where were we?

Has any time passed? If not:

There was uh, whatshisname. That noble guy that I almost saved. Has he showed up anywhere? Them ghouls were prob'ly trying to replace him with a painting-man, maybe there's some way we could check if other nobles have been replaced like that before? People who we didn't know were missing but are.
Otherwise, you can probably tell from my vacant stare that I'm not much for this whole murder mystery detective thing.

Spoiler: Zavi (click to show/hide)

Devastator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1862 on: August 29, 2019, 10:32:41 pm »

Defaults for Darwin and Eclaire:

Give the rope orders to gather up people from inside the building and carry them out here.  Catch them as they come down in the low gravity.  Get ready to retreat up to the surface, via teleport-book.  Make sure to not be standing next to the bomb.

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #1863 on: August 31, 2019, 01:50:54 pm »

((Lenglon is not comfortable issuing commands to Randolf to take a large risk like this without his consent.))
Are there any volunteers for the *bait* role? I'm fairly certain that I'm not a member of the target demographic.

Spoiler: Nina (click to show/hide)
*yawn* Wow, that was some nap. Where were we?

Has any time passed? If not:

There was uh, whatshisname. That noble guy that I almost saved. Has he showed up anywhere? Them ghouls were prob'ly trying to replace him with a painting-man, maybe there's some way we could check if other nobles have been replaced like that before? People who we didn't know were missing but are.
Otherwise, you can probably tell from my vacant stare that I'm not much for this whole murder mystery detective thing.

Zavi, you're a new member of the mage breakers. You're young and presumably healthy. How would you like to be bait?

(the nobleman did show up by the way. They found him in some property related to one of the ghouls you killed).

If I can use the ladder as a bridge across the chasm, do that. It's half the reason I bought it. Then, once across, make a base camp, explore the immediate area, play with the kitty, and sleep.

Spoiler: Felix Testimony (click to show/hide)
Using the rope you carefully lower the ladder and form a bridge across the ravine. You very carefully climb across and then check out the immediate area. The room your bridge reaches is basically just a corner of a room with nothing in it but a door along the longest remaining wall. That door leads to a hall, then another room but that room is partially collapsed.   It seems like this structure is cut off from the other structures visible in the wall of the ravine. You'll have to climb out across the rock face to get to those.

You set up camp in this isolated section and let the cat out. It explores the little combination of rooms and, after giving some good examination to the ravine, seems to decide not to jump into it. You pull the ladder back across to secure this section and then sleep in the hall between the rooms.

Head back up then and look for something that floats and is preferably nearly the size of a buoy. If asked, reply that I found the obstruction and that I need something to pull it away from the boat.
Assuming I found a suitable object, attach my other rope to it and to the hand of the automaton, then use the mechanism to move it out of the way of the boat.

Also ask the merchants how similar the current route is compared to the ones they usually take.

Spoiler: Robert Grant (click to show/hide)

Using waterproof fabric, rope, and tar you manage to create a sort of tarp balloon. You use the remaining rope to attach it to the hand. That done you reach into the mechanism of the hand and fiddle until you manage to get the first joint of the finger to bend. Its not much, but its enough to free the ship.

Once you're back up  and somewhat cleaned off you ask the merchants about their route. They say that this is roughly the same route but not exactly; they're having the captain seer further north than usual to avoid possible pirates.

The ship makes it to the far shore without any more trouble.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Continue getting people out of the cave, whether injured or dazed, while being careful not to injure anyone any further while helping them out of the cave
You finish retrieving the last of the allied forces that are alive or will live.  Anyone left in there is now either a hostage, a corpse, or someone rapidly becoming a corpse.

...Before we abandon the last of the corpses, look around for someone who's very dead, but whose skull is... retrievable, without too much cutting needed immediately.  An unlucky clean decapitation without too much of the torso.  If a convenient severed head is found, jam it into a bag where people won't be able to see it.  If a decent ranged or melee weapon happens to be laying around, grab that too, but that's not at all a priority--just pick one up if noticed.

Otherwise, continue treating wounded people.

Spoiler: NEEEEERRD (click to show/hide)

Ekrov runs back out onto the killing field and looks around.  He runs over to a body and kneels down with his back to everyone.  The body is that of a man, though there's nothing left of it except the torso and head; it was cut off at about nipple height. However, importantly,  there is a sword next to it.  Ekrov knows enough anatomy to lay the sword between the vertebrae and, using the sword like a paper cutter, sever the head just below the chin. He quickly stuffs the head into his bag and grabs the sword, wiping the blood off storing it in his belt.  He runs back to the cave and starts providing aid to those still needing attention.

Defaults for Darwin and Eclaire:

Give the rope orders to gather up people from inside the building and carry them out here.  Catch them as they come down in the low gravity.  Get ready to retreat up to the surface, via teleport-book.  Make sure to not be standing next to the bomb.
(Talked this over with Dev on IRC. changing things)

Using the rope and a gratuitous amount of running, Darwin and Eclair (but mostly Eclair) manage to gather up at least 60 people from the area around them. They run the still dazed people, along with their own mercs, back to the cave Entrance that everyone else is currently using.

"Well.. Get on with it, then..  I want to get as many of these people out as possible before you do it."

Let the magebreakers get started on whatever they need to collapse the cavern.  Get as many rescued people out as possible.  Keep count of everyone so we can make sure everyone who leaves makes it up.  Give the amulets to the guys at the cavern exit, so they can use them on two people who need them.

You start giving orders to evacuate the injured and take some people back into the cave with you, grabbing any hostages you can see and sending them back towards the cave. You think you get 20 or so of the hostages back to the cave but its slower going without just mass capturing them like Darwin.

The mage breakers seem to be helping with the evacuation. Everyone who can move is already a fair deal away while others are helping the injured. Its going to be a bit before the injured are a safe distance up into the mine.  Somewhere in the tower you can hear something thrashing around and the entire structure is shaking, throwing off bits of material and dust.

Devastator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1864 on: August 31, 2019, 02:20:14 pm »

Order the autocannon gunner to open fire on the main structure.  Something bad is happening, and autocannon rounds won't make it worse.

Continue the process of rescuing hostages, but lets try to speed it up by riding Benedict and using him to shuttle more remote people towards the exit.  He should be big enough to pick people up.  My two guards and the magebreakers can keep herding people on the ground, except whomever is busy working on the cave collapse.

« Last Edit: August 31, 2019, 02:29:46 pm by Devastator »

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
  • Thank you TamerVirus for the avatar switcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1865 on: August 31, 2019, 03:07:39 pm »

help hostages get out of the cave

Hotfire90

« Reply #1866 on: August 31, 2019, 04:08:28 pm »

Carry on with the guarding, try to get some innocent peeks at their route if they have a physical map of it.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • Are you a duelist?
    • View Profile
« Reply #1867 on: September 01, 2019, 03:27:36 am »

Suppose I wouldn't a bit of glorious danger and a chance to gobble up some people's life forces. What's the plan, specifically?

Ozarck

• Bay Watcher
  • DiceBane
    • View Profile
« Reply #1868 on: September 01, 2019, 06:03:37 pm »

I want to hang my glowy orb out into the chasm so that I can readily identify home base, but the orb won't go tumbling into space. I have a ladder, a pet carrier, and two ropes, plus the pet harness and leash. If necessary, I'll make a basket out of one of the ropes for the task. Otherwise I'd like to use the pet carrier and maybe the ladder, if the pet carrier will let the orb be visible from below. I'd use the ladder to extend the orb out a couple feet into the void, while bracing the back end with big rocks so it doesn't fall. Most of the ladder weight should be on the ledge or in the room anyway. If the room isn't deep enough for that, just use the rope to make the basket.

Once that's done, secure a rope up here on something sturdy, stuff the kitten in the backpack and climb toward the nearest lighted room on this side of the chasm, occasionally checking to see if my light is visible. Then explore the immediate vicinity in the lighted room.

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
  • Morals? Ethics? Conscience? HA!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1869 on: September 02, 2019, 09:14:44 am »

((Bah, I would have acted differently had I known IC that all that stuff was going on. Let’s just roll with it I suppose, too many turns have passed to start retconning, but I would appreciate it if you would actually tell us these things next time.))

Keep bringing in civvies if there is still time before the bomb goes off. 

Spoiler: Darwin Zeppeli (click to show/hide)

Einsteinian Roulette Wiki
Quote from: you know who you are
21:26   <XYZ>: I know nothing about this, but I have strong opinions about it.
Fucking hell, you guys are worse than the demons.

syvarris

• Bay Watcher
  • UNICORNPEGASUSKITTEN
    • View Profile
« Reply #1870 on: September 02, 2019, 12:05:14 pm »

Ekrov whispers a quiet "I'm sorry, I'll make it up, I swear." to the mutilated corpse as he decapitates it.  Then he's up and away, running back to treat the living.

What's the die size for that merc sword Ekrov grabbed?

As for an actual action... Ekrov will just keep treating people who need it, and will do what he can to direct those still in decent shape towards wrangling the dazed prisoners and helping those who were crippled.

Pancaek

• Bay Watcher
  • Real stupidity beats artificial intelligence
    • View Profile
« Reply #1871 on: September 02, 2019, 12:40:59 pm »

Help with this, but stop Darwin from going for more civvies if the bomb is getting close to going off and it might be tight getting one more round of civvies and getting out before the blast. Ecalir appreciates his effort to save as many of those people as possible, but he doesn't want him and his friend to die for these wretches.

Spoiler:  Écalir Speedwagon (click to show/hide)

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #1872 on: September 04, 2019, 01:59:16 pm »

Carry on with the guarding, try to get some innocent peeks at their route if they have a physical map of it.
The route from here on basically just follows the road. And...Looks like the road back is completely uneventful and you make it back to the oasis.  They give you 50 gold for your trouble and the various extra help you provided.

Suppose I wouldn't a bit of glorious danger and a chance to gobble up some people's life forces. What's the plan, specifically?

Essentially, there is someone out there kidnapping people, apparently working them near to death, and then dumping them back on the street. The plan is to lure them into nabbing you and then track them back to their hideout and bust the lot of them.

I want to hang my glowy orb out into the chasm so that I can readily identify home base, but the orb won't go tumbling into space. I have a ladder, a pet carrier, and two ropes, plus the pet harness and leash. If necessary, I'll make a basket out of one of the ropes for the task. Otherwise I'd like to use the pet carrier and maybe the ladder, if the pet carrier will let the orb be visible from below. I'd use the ladder to extend the orb out a couple feet into the void, while bracing the back end with big rocks so it doesn't fall. Most of the ladder weight should be on the ledge or in the room anyway. If the room isn't deep enough for that, just use the rope to make the basket.

Once that's done, secure a rope up here on something sturdy, stuff the kitten in the backpack and climb toward the nearest lighted room on this side of the chasm, occasionally checking to see if my light is visible. Then explore the immediate vicinity in the lighted room.

Hanging the orb goes fine: you easily get it into place using the pet carrier and ladder and a bit of rope. It seems like it will work as a good marker.

[5v3]
You clamber down using your rope until you reach the first exposed room. Much like the base camp this room has been split in half, but unlike that room there are still some things left here. The one that immediately draws your attention is a metal lamp filled with what look like luminous crystals that throw off greenish light and a small amount of purplish smoke or mist. Its the source of the illumination for this room and hung on a metal hook on one wall. Other than that there is a large box made of a similar bronze metal and a door. Next to the door is a symbol that looks like a bunch of meshed together boxes at different angles.

help hostages get out of the cave
Ekrov whispers a quiet "I'm sorry, I'll make it up, I swear." to the mutilated corpse as he decapitates it.  Then he's up and away, running back to treat the living.

What's the die size for that merc sword Ekrov grabbed?

As for an actual action... Ekrov will just keep treating people who need it, and will do what he can to direct those still in decent shape towards wrangling the dazed prisoners and helping those who were crippled.

The sword is a d6 longsword.

Both of you start helping people retreat and treat those still in need.

A fair number of people have been evacuated, at least from the immediate area. In maybe 5 or so minutes everyone will be at least a little while away. Maybe a bit too close for comfort, but far enough.

Help with this, but stop Darwin from going for more civvies if the bomb is getting close to going off and it might be tight getting one more round of civvies and getting out before the blast. Ecalir appreciates his effort to save as many of those people as possible, but he doesn't want him and his friend to die for these wretches.

Spoiler:  Écalir Speedwagon (click to show/hide)
((Bah, I would have acted differently had I known IC that all that stuff was going on. Let’s just roll with it I suppose, too many turns have passed to start retconning, but I would appreciate it if you would actually tell us these things next time.))

Spoiler: Darwin Zeppeli (click to show/hide)
(Apologies, I thought it was understood.)
[6+1]
Between the two of you, another 70 are roped in and dragged out.  However, thats about as much as Eclair is comfortable with doing. He gets a feeling in his gut that things are about to get explosive.

Order the autocannon gunner to open fire on the main structure.  Something bad is happening, and autocannon rounds won't make it worse.

Continue the process of rescuing hostages, but lets try to speed it up by riding Benedict and using him to shuttle more remote people towards the exit.  He should be big enough to pick people up.  My two guards and the magebreakers can keep herding people on the ground, except whomever is busy working on the cave collapse.

[3]
30 more are saved between you, Benedict and the rest.

[4]
The autocannon opens up again and rains shots into the tower, blowing out huge chunks of white material and spraying debris in all directions.  Then, as you're returning your newest haul of hostages to the cave entrance, the bomb goes off. The thing goes up in a collossal blast of flame that quickly shifts from normal red into prismtic rainbow. The tower shudders and then there is a sound, a tremendous crack, like a whip snapping right next to your ears. The entire tower starts to lean and slowly twist, spinning into an accelerating collapse like a felled tree.

Ozarck

• Bay Watcher
  • DiceBane
    • View Profile
« Reply #1873 on: September 06, 2019, 08:22:32 am »

Do the crystals in the lamp look like they are being consumed to give off the smoke? Either way, get a closer look at that bronze box. Does it appear to be a storage type box? A cabinet? some kind of power conduit or other appliance, or something mysterious and without lid, door, or seam? If it is an openable box, look closely to see if I can see any traps, and then try to open it in a normal, casual way.

Hotfire90

« Reply #1874 on: September 06, 2019, 03:29:20 pm »

Return the equipment the merchants gave me, then rent out a fast mount, retrieve my lead weights from storage and go Sand Ray hunting.
Pages: 1 ... 123 124 [125] 126 127 ... 203