Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 132 133 [134] 135 136 ... 203

Author Topic: Cabal: Wizard Open World Game  (Read 342928 times)

Lenglon

• Bay Watcher
  • Everyone cries, the question is what follows it.
    • View Profile
Re: Cabal: Wizard Open World Game
« Reply #1995 on: October 22, 2019, 04:27:18 pm »

Settle in to observe and wait.

Spoiler: Nina (click to show/hide)
((I don't think heating something that is right above us to a ridiculous degree is very smart. Worst case scenario we become +metal statues+. This is a finely crafted metal statue. It is encrusted with sharkmist and HMRC. On the item is an image of HMRC and Pancaek. Pancaek is laughing. The HMRC is melting. The artwork relates to the encasing of the HMRC in metal by Pancaek during the Mission of Many People.))

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
  • Morals? Ethics? Conscience? HA!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1996 on: October 23, 2019, 09:27:40 am »

140 total.
10 thaum into a separate bottle, 30 mana to ecalir please.

Difficulty would be dependent on the radius effected. Lets say it goes up by 1 level for every hundred feet of effective area.  As per a tool, you probably want something with 3 dimensions of movement so it can point up and down too. Something like a 3 axis gimbal with a pointer in the center. For that we'll say 2 gold.
So, a d8 spell for a detector with a range of about 100m, correct?

Also, gimbal sounds good. Maybe add a little spring at the end where the amount of stretch indicates the strength/closeness of the signal? Still 2 gold?

Lets see...I'd say in order to set everything up for a fully functional mining camp would be 100 or so gold, and then 5 silver every day for each worker you employ. This is of course assuming a well set up camp with the supplies needed to do just about whatever they need to. If you just wanna give some people picks and let them do their best, thats a lot cheaper.
Suppose that instead of setting up a whole post, we would instead try to find a good spot with the detector, then do some quick surface-level mining to determine the potential yield of the site and to get some evidence that there actually are diamonds there. Then we would sell info about the the location to the highest bidder in the city (nothing to tie us down baby, we live for the road!). How much gold then for setting up the whole thing? And is this a workable plan, or am I missing something that'd make this nonviable (eg. lack of mining companies to sell the rights to)?

Either way, buy some good maps of the local area, particularly geographical or with previous prospecting data. Cost please?

Finally, extra pair of mailsnails please (20 gold like previous ok?) and thaumic bomb (25 gold).

Spoiler: Darwin Zeppeli (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: October 23, 2019, 10:40:15 am by Radio Controlled »

Einsteinian Roulette Wiki
Quote from: you know who you are
21:26   <XYZ>: I know nothing about this, but I have strong opinions about it.
Fucking hell, you guys are worse than the demons.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • what about full of shit? is that a meme too?
    • View Profile
« Reply #1997 on: October 23, 2019, 09:25:04 pm »

"'Nother day, 'nother door to break down."
Knock politely on the door.

Spoiler: Zavi (click to show/hide)
I live how my maker made me.
Broken broken tip to tail.

Devastator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1998 on: October 24, 2019, 12:16:09 am »

Lets go meet this person.  Bring my guard along, if possible.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Hotfire90

« Reply #1999 on: October 24, 2019, 06:21:56 pm »

Climb my way back up to the ax and then proceed to cut at its mouth.
Spoiler: Robert Grant (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: October 26, 2019, 10:07:04 am by Hotfire90 »

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #2000 on: October 26, 2019, 10:14:43 am »

"Do you know where they went? What did they look like? How many were there?"

There were maybe a dozen or so and they headed south. As per their dress, it varied but the man does describe something very close to what those two dead men were wearing.

Settle in to observe and wait.

Spoiler: Nina (click to show/hide)
We can assume a time skip barring important events for you. We'll see if Egan does something...

"'Nother day, 'nother door to break down."
Knock politely on the door.

You knock on the door and wait several minutes for a response. You knock again, this time yelling for someone, but again get no response. People are out there, but they seem either not to notice you or, more likely, to be ignoring you.

Climb my way back up to the ax and then proceed to cut up its mouth.
[9v6]
[3v6]
You scramble up soft flesh until you're just behind the thing's teeth and start stabbing away like a madman, drawing oozing wounds and really slicing up the thing's gums. It slams and grinds its teeth together in response and attacks you with its tongue.
[5v5] You dodge to the side as the tongue slaps against the teeth and inside of the mouth with surprisingly huge amounts of force.

Lets go meet this person.  Bring my guard along, if possible.

You sort of expect to be lead to the mansion of some eccentric noble but instead you are lead past the mansions to a large but very plain building and up stairs to an office. Its not the firelit trophy room you were romantically imagining either; rather it is a very plain room with a wall of book cases, a desk, and a man in well made but practical clothing. He looks something like a clerk, maybe a well off senior clerk. He has rather sharp features and kind of face that looks like he's always considering whether or not to fire you.

"I'll cut to the chase" he says, almost as soon as you enter, "If you are going to Gravid then I would be willing to finance your expedition in return for the securing of particular things from the ruins.  These things may be difficult to find but I am certain they still remain there and it is of the utmost importance they should be collected.  If you are willing to do this, we can start drawing up arrangements now."

He seems very quick to try and rope you into this.

140 total.
10 thaum into a separate bottle, 30 mana to ecalir please.

Difficulty would be dependent on the radius effected. Lets say it goes up by 1 level for every hundred feet of effective area.  As per a tool, you probably want something with 3 dimensions of movement so it can point up and down too. Something like a 3 axis gimbal with a pointer in the center. For that we'll say 2 gold.
So, a d8 spell for a detector with a range of about 100m, correct?

Also, gimbal sounds good. Maybe add a little spring at the end where the amount of stretch indicates the strength/closeness of the signal? Still 2 gold?

Lets see...I'd say in order to set everything up for a fully functional mining camp would be 100 or so gold, and then 5 silver every day for each worker you employ. This is of course assuming a well set up camp with the supplies needed to do just about whatever they need to. If you just wanna give some people picks and let them do their best, thats a lot cheaper.
Suppose that instead of setting up a whole post, we would instead try to find a good spot with the detector, then do some quick surface-level mining to determine the potential yield of the site and to get some evidence that there actually are diamonds there. Then we would sell info about the the location to the highest bidder in the city (nothing to tie us down baby, we live for the road!). How much gold then for setting up the whole thing? And is this a workable plan, or am I missing something that'd make this nonviable (eg. lack of mining companies to sell the rights to)?

Either way, buy some good maps of the local area, particularly geographical or with previous prospecting data. Cost please?

Finally, extra pair of mailsnails please (20 gold like previous ok?) and thaumic bomb (25 gold).

Yes and sure.

For something like that, assuming you and Eclair are doing the work, I'd say like...10 gold for all the tools and gear needed. Its not a lot.  And yes, that plan can be effective; the only issue would be making sure the land is not already owned and having sufficent evidence to convince the buyer.  Aside from that there would definitely be a demand for it.

3 gold for a series of good maps around this area.

All sounds good.

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
  • Thank you TamerVirus for the avatar switcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2001 on: October 26, 2019, 11:56:26 am »

“I might have found two of them, they were dead when I found them, looks like gunshots. Did your town send people to follow them and kill them? Or were they killed by someone else?”

Devastator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2002 on: October 26, 2019, 03:40:02 pm »

"Gravid.. the ruins a good ways to the northwest, on the other side of the mountains, correct?"

"I'm pretty much okay with bringing back anything, so long as you tell me what it is first.  I'll need that to find it and transport it safely."

Going to a place like the ruins of Gravid is basically what I would have done for free, so I'm agreeable, so long as he's paying at least 600 gold up front.  That's what I figure I'll need for the trip.. 30 days * 4 gold/day for food, several hundred for excavation gear, 200 for a set of alchemists equipment and a ghost charm.  Try to get as much total pay as possible, and try to get intel on what we are bringing back.

Also, try to figure out if this guy is a vampire or something.  It isn't a deal-breaker, but I'd like to know what is going on.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • what about full of shit? is that a meme too?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2003 on: October 26, 2019, 04:19:55 pm »

"How rude. When the police come knocking, you're supposed to open up." Zavi mutters to herself.

Loose the boot knife from its fragile containment. Warning, knife is no longer contained, repeat, knife is no longer contained.
Say, does this knife have any special qualities? d6 is a bit high for a concealed holdout. Might this be some kind of... uncommonly dangerous knife?

Cast an explosion around me (with me as its origin, but not affected by it, with the shockwave going horizontally around me and upwards, but not downwards) strong enough to shatter the walls and send any debris away from myself.

When the dust clears, look for somebody to arrest and interrogate.

I live how my maker made me.
Broken broken tip to tail.

syvarris

• Bay Watcher
  • UNICORNPEGASUSKITTEN
    • View Profile
« Reply #2004 on: October 27, 2019, 06:24:22 am »

Okay, first things first, I want to figure out how much of this stuff I can haul back.  Benedict has a limited carrying capacity, so I'm guessing I can't just carry everything, so here's all of what I want, in order of priority.  I won't be doing anything with them yet, I just want to know what I'm leaving behind before I do any more experiments or anything.  Please tell me which object puts me over the weight limit.

1. BOTH robots, or at least both robots' remains.
2. Three machine guns, with four boxes of ammo. 
3. The welding system.
4. The weird sword with a slot for something to plug into.
5. The gauntlets for bending metal.
6. A bag of 10 bomblets from the disassembled bomb.
7. The circular saw.
8. A set of the more basic tools for working on small-scale clockwork; basically a toolbox's amount, of whatever Ekrov thinks is most useful for the weight.
9. The rivet gun, with a bunch of rivets if there's any with it.
10. An entire bomb.
11. The Jaws of Life thing.
12. The rest of the MG ammo, and the six broken machine guns.
13. The rest of the tools.
14. A few solid large plates of clockwork, as tall and wide as Ekrov.  I presume these would have to be cut out of a larger plate using the cutter, but don't do that yet.
15. Scavenged piece of clockwork; gears, bolts, rivets, springs, sprockets, whatever whole pieces are left around that don't fit into anything.  If Benedict is somehow so swole as to carry ALL of that, just grab a few armloads of such junk.  I know he's not.

Again, I just need to know which which item would put me over Benedict's carry limit.  Or at least make his load so heavy that he'd struggle to fly.  I know, I know, he's an animal and that's hard to figure out, especially without knowing precisely how all the objects are carried.  I don't think either of us wants me to run systematic tests on how much weight is okay.

After that, I'm going to start alchemizing stuff for thaum.  First, just melt whatever scrap is laying around and easily accessible.  Then pull out the circular saw and start cutting into larger pieces of the ship's structure that aren't supporting anything or part of any functional system.  Probably use the bodyguard dude for that, since Ekrov is weak; promise him extra pay.  I... don't have a frame of reference for how much thaum metal pays, but I figure there's a TON of metal here which can be melted, so payout should be pretty good.  Since there's way more than can be cut up in a reasonable time frame, spend up to a day on it, and stop if the thaum payout for metal starts to become not worth it by whatever arbitrary standard you feel is appropriate.  :P

Spoiler: O.o (click to show/hide)

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
  • Morals? Ethics? Conscience? HA!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2005 on: October 27, 2019, 11:09:03 am »

Okido then, buy gimball contraption for 2 gold. Up End to +2, then do a d8 spell on the gimball (retry twice at max).

Spend 10 gold on tools for Ecalir and Darwin, then 10 more on some extra for our workers (we'll just hire a few to help us with the digging).

Also buy 3 gold worth of tarps, paint, and other stuff we can use to camouflage our dig site with (to prevent some yokel from spotting it and claiming it the second we turn our back for a second).

Oh, and while shopping, take a look at the magic compass (the one pointing to artifact pieces) and try to pin down the location of the final 2 pieces in more detail, especially the piece near Alkahest.

Einsteinian Roulette Wiki
Quote from: you know who you are
21:26   <XYZ>: I know nothing about this, but I have strong opinions about it.
Fucking hell, you guys are worse than the demons.

Hotfire90

« Reply #2006 on: October 27, 2019, 04:51:51 pm »

Charge at the tongue slashing at it until it retreats, then resume stabbing the gums until I'm certain that it won't try to crush me with its teeth the moment I attempt to leave the mouth.

Ozarck

• Bay Watcher
  • DiceBane
    • View Profile
« Reply #2007 on: October 28, 2019, 11:20:17 pm »

Check out the bounty board for especially aggressive evildoers, and go hunting. If none seem murderous/molestery enough to consider killing, visit the patrol boat HQ and sign up for the next raid.

Spoiler: Felix Testimony (click to show/hide)

Pancaek

• Bay Watcher
  • Real stupidity beats artificial intelligence
    • View Profile
« Reply #2008 on: October 29, 2019, 03:13:45 pm »

eclair will stick by Darwin for now. Also while we're shopping, look for someone selling a snazzy hat and/or sunglasses.

I'm afraid you might get the impression I just want a cool hat. But I'm looking for the absolute snazziest hat they've got. The thing has got to ooze panache and moxie. I want a hat that is 110% disco, baby.

Spoiler:  Écalir Speedwagon (click to show/hide)

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #2009 on: October 30, 2019, 11:24:50 am »

“I might have found two of them, they were dead when I found them, looks like gunshots. Did your town send people to follow them and kill them? Or were they killed by someone else?”

The man says they didn't chase them beyond the border of the town. If they're dead in the desert, they're dead by each other's hands or old wounds. Or someone else, of course.

"Gravid.. the ruins a good ways to the northwest, on the other side of the mountains, correct?"

"I'm pretty much okay with bringing back anything, so long as you tell me what it is first.  I'll need that to find it and transport it safely."

Going to a place like the ruins of Gravid is basically what I would have done for free, so I'm agreeable, so long as he's paying at least 600 gold up front.  That's what I figure I'll need for the trip.. 30 days * 4 gold/day for food, several hundred for excavation gear, 200 for a set of alchemists equipment and a ghost charm.  Try to get as much total pay as possible, and try to get intel on what we are bringing back.

Also, try to figure out if this guy is a vampire or something.  It isn't a deal-breaker, but I'd like to know what is going on.

[6+1 v 16]
You're not really sure who this man is, or what he is, or anything about him. There's nothing you can see in his manner or appearance to give you a clue. He is a banal enigma.

"The object in question is the core of the city."  The man says, handing you the contract and letting you read it.  "It is about as tall as a man, spherical, and glows purple. It should be weightless and thus easy to transport; though keeping it hidden during transport would be advisable."

The contract is fairly simple and blunt: it gives the man (referred to as "interlocutor") what amounts to infinite funding which he can then give to you at his discretion.  You tell him th equipment You'll need and he OKs it all without comment except for the ghost charm and Alchemist equipment. He asks why you need them.

"How rude. When the police come knocking, you're supposed to open up." Zavi mutters to herself.

Loose the boot knife from its fragile containment. Warning, knife is no longer contained, repeat, knife is no longer contained.
Say, does this knife have any special qualities? d6 is a bit high for a concealed holdout. Might this be some kind of... uncommonly dangerous knife?

Cast an explosion around me (with me as its origin, but not affected by it, with the shockwave going horizontally around me and upwards, but not downwards) strong enough to shatter the walls and send any debris away from myself.

When the dust clears, look for somebody to arrest and interrogate.

You remove the knife from your boot and take a second to look at it. It looks like an ordinary knife, albeit a very sharp and well made one. There is however...something about it. You think it might have some sort of subtle magic on it.
[5v1]-1 mana

You walk to the center of the room and raise both hands up to about a 45 degree angle, pointing up and out. You push a bit of mana out and convert it into a low level shaped explosion, blasting the walls up and away. The room bursts out with a clatter of metal and a dull "WUD", the blast mostly restrained to a shockwave and noise with very little flame or heat. You brush some dust off and step out of the crater where the building used to be, looking for someone to talk to. The welcoming committee seems to be two guys with rifles yelling for you to get down. Hmm.

eclair will stick by Darwin for now. Also while we're shopping, look for someone selling a snazzy hat and/or sunglasses.

I'm afraid you might get the impression I just want a cool hat. But I'm looking for the absolute snazziest hat they've got. The thing has got to ooze panache and moxie. I want a hat that is 110% disco, baby.

Spoiler:  Écalir Speedwagon (click to show/hide)

[1+1]
This place has NO fancy hats. None. Not a single dandy fez even. The best you can find is an earth tone bowler hat! Disgusting!

Okido then, buy gimball contraption for 2 gold. Up End to +2, then do a d8 spell on the gimball (retry twice at max).

Spend 10 gold on tools for Ecalir and Darwin, then 10 more on some extra for our workers (we'll just hire a few to help us with the digging).

Also buy 3 gold worth of tarps, paint, and other stuff we can use to camouflage our dig site with (to prevent some yokel from spotting it and claiming it the second we turn our back for a second).

Oh, and while shopping, take a look at the magic compass (the one pointing to artifact pieces) and try to pin down the location of the final 2 pieces in more detail, especially the piece near Alkahest.

[4v1] -1 mana

Doneso.

Doneso.

There appears to be one in the city, and one further northeast.

Charge at the tongue slashing at it until it retreats, then resume stabbing the gums until I'm certain that it won't try to crush me with its teeth the moment I attempt to leave the mouth.

[3v1]
You hack the tongue with your ax, severing the tip of it and then again, bifurcating it for several feet.  Blood pours into the mouth and the beast opens its maw, trying to spit you out.
[6v2]
You ride the tide of blood and flesh, using it to leap out and grab hold of one of the creature's feelers before climbing back up to its face.
[6v3]
You proceed to do a double handed chop right into the thing's left eye and it screams that bone rattling roar again as it starts to squirm and then dive back towards the earth.

Check out the bounty board for especially aggressive evildoers, and go hunting. If none seem murderous/molestery enough to consider killing, visit the patrol boat HQ and sign up for the next raid.

Spoiler: Felix Testimony (click to show/hide)
You check the board for the worst of the worst.

The worst you find is a child killer but he's apparently on the run so likely not still in town. You check for bad but also still likely around and find a woman who is apparently luring travelers and new workers back to her home and then killing them. There's no name, just a drawing based on eye witnesses. Its somewhat vague, but they outline her "Hunting grounds" so to speak. There are also a variety of other lower level gangsters, robbers, and hooligans.

Okay, first things first, I want to figure out how much of this stuff I can haul back.  Benedict has a limited carrying capacity, so I'm guessing I can't just carry everything, so here's all of what I want, in order of priority.  I won't be doing anything with them yet, I just want to know what I'm leaving behind before I do any more experiments or anything.  Please tell me which object puts me over the weight limit.

1. BOTH robots, or at least both robots' remains.
2. Three machine guns, with four boxes of ammo. 
3. The welding system.
4. The weird sword with a slot for something to plug into.
5. The gauntlets for bending metal.
6. A bag of 10 bomblets from the disassembled bomb.
7. The circular saw.
8. A set of the more basic tools for working on small-scale clockwork; basically a toolbox's amount, of whatever Ekrov thinks is most useful for the weight.
9. The rivet gun, with a bunch of rivets if there's any with it.
10. An entire bomb.
11. The Jaws of Life thing.
12. The rest of the MG ammo, and the six broken machine guns.
13. The rest of the tools.
14. A few solid large plates of clockwork, as tall and wide as Ekrov.  I presume these would have to be cut out of a larger plate using the cutter, but don't do that yet.
15. Scavenged piece of clockwork; gears, bolts, rivets, springs, sprockets, whatever whole pieces are left around that don't fit into anything.  If Benedict is somehow so swole as to carry ALL of that, just grab a few armloads of such junk.  I know he's not.

Again, I just need to know which which item would put me over Benedict's carry limit.  Or at least make his load so heavy that he'd struggle to fly.  I know, I know, he's an animal and that's hard to figure out, especially without knowing precisely how all the objects are carried.  I don't think either of us wants me to run systematic tests on how much weight is okay.

After that, I'm going to start alchemizing stuff for thaum.  First, just melt whatever scrap is laying around and easily accessible.  Then pull out the circular saw and start cutting into larger pieces of the ship's structure that aren't supporting anything or part of any functional system.  Probably use the bodyguard dude for that, since Ekrov is weak; promise him extra pay.  I... don't have a frame of reference for how much thaum metal pays, but I figure there's a TON of metal here which can be melted, so payout should be pretty good.  Since there's way more than can be cut up in a reasonable time frame, spend up to a day on it, and stop if the thaum payout for metal starts to become not worth it by whatever arbitrary standard you feel is appropriate.  :P

Spoiler: O.o (click to show/hide)
I mean, you could just take multiple trips. Not like this stuff is prohibitively far away; just somewhat remote for people who don't have a griffin. In any case, nine is about the limit. You might be able to get to 10 but thats pushing it.

Now as per the thaum here, there's gonna be a lot of variation. Some metals in there are just steel and iron which ain't worth squat, while some are rare alloys and armored sections. As such the amount gained is gonna be very erratic. Lets see, for one day...64 this time.  Thats on relative low end, average will be around 100 per day and there is metal for...3 days worth, 2 now.

Pages: 1 ... 132 133 [134] 135 136 ... 203