Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 141 142 [143] 144 145 ... 203

Author Topic: Cabal: Wizard Open World Game  (Read 342505 times)

Lenglon

• Bay Watcher
  • Everyone cries, the question is what follows it.
    • View Profile
Re: Cabal: Wizard Open World Game
« Reply #2130 on: December 09, 2019, 04:22:33 pm »

"It is my ambition, and if I only were choosing for myself I'd take your offer, but Randolf and I both have equal claim to the Aqua Vitae. His ability to use it offensively, and mine to use it for healing, seem like they're two sides of the same coin. His ambition is without question to be a MageBreaker, and I don't hate the idea, so I'm inclined to stay as long as he does, out of consideration, and so we can share the sword appropriately. I don't think I've really got any talent for combat, but I'm willing to learn, if you're willing to teach me. I'm also intersted in the sealing and investigation, as I said. And I think Adam might be able to help there too, I mean, I don't think you've got a lot of people with friendly spirits possessing them, and he seems to be able to detect things I can't."
respond, and check on Adam while I do. He gets a vote on this too, since he's attached to me and all. I don't think it's fair to make big decisions like this without letting him be a part of the decision-making process.

Spoiler: Nina (click to show/hide)
((I don't think heating something that is right above us to a ridiculous degree is very smart. Worst case scenario we become +metal statues+. This is a finely crafted metal statue. It is encrusted with sharkmist and HMRC. On the item is an image of HMRC and Pancaek. Pancaek is laughing. The HMRC is melting. The artwork relates to the encasing of the HMRC in metal by Pancaek during the Mission of Many People.))

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • technical difficulties
    • View Profile
« Reply #2131 on: December 09, 2019, 04:33:29 pm »

"I recently had a friend on mine cast a spell on me which makes me faster and more agile. Maybe you should talk to her, or someone like her, Nina."

PM.

Name my flying baboon Salt, and do a stat check on her if possible.
Stock up on baboon snacks and train Salt to follow basic commands. Carrying things, retrieving things, following and staying, and attacking.

Give Saeko the mana and money she needs.

Spoiler: Zavi (click to show/hide)
Insatiable consumption. Ceaseless motion. Unstoppable destruction.

Devastator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2132 on: December 10, 2019, 03:36:40 am »

Take the jewelry box from Zavi as the fare to the ruins of Gravid.  Stash a few items where Ekrov stores what he's not bringing, to save on weight and space.  Distribute the eight parachute sticks, with instructions to people about what they do.  Put emphasis on how these are lifesaving tools, intended to keep you from dying from a fall, so keep them ready and keep them safe.  I don't have an extra one for Zavi, but will make one if Zavi wants to supply the mana for it.

With that, I think we're ready, so mount up and..

Allons!

(unless interrupted)

"You know, Benedict," Saeko said while petting the very thick hide of her pet seige engine, "You're pretty much too big to be practical.  You eat an enormous amount.  You're too big to fit indoors, at least in anything smaller than a large barn, and anyone who sees you gets quite naturally scared."

She then takes out her iron rod to properly give scritches.

"But that's for everyday life.  I don't know about fighting.. that giant mage bug was at least twice the size you are now, and it probably had all kinds of magic and extra stuff.  You're basically just a big, flying, catbird, and I'm worried in case we run into any more giant monsters.  Being half the size and mostly naked isn't a safe way to fight."

The contented creature continues to purr-coo in happy oblivion, understanding halted in favor of carefree bliss.

"After this, I'm going to make you up some proper fighting gear.  And maybe some sort of tunic or banner to identify you as mine.  Identify both of us, so people will know not to run away."

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: December 10, 2019, 04:12:16 am by Devastator »

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
  • Morals? Ethics? Conscience? HA!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2133 on: December 11, 2019, 05:10:48 am »

You bring up the lock box and attempt to ascertain what is in it or get them to open it up for you. They don't seem to be against the idea, rather they simply don't have the key. It is apparently in the hands of the head of the warehouse, who isn't here at the moment. You do, however, manage to get his name and address out of the representative. If nothing else, you can go....negotiate with him in person.

Sure, arrange a meeting with him, for somewhere in the next few days. Spend the time before that meeting visiting other leather warehouses to get some price quotes and such, to make sure our cover story checks out. Also try to get an idea of what the lowest volume of leather is that one would normally buy through a warehouse instead of a normal storefront, and how much this would cost.

Assuming that all goes well, have the meeting with the guy. First talk about some business as before, then bring up that box and ask if we could look inside it. If he allows this and it is the thing we are looking for, ask for how much he would sell it. If he won't sell it ask if we can at least study it for a while in peace.

Spoiler: Darwin Zeppeli (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: December 11, 2019, 05:14:30 am by Radio Controlled »

Einsteinian Roulette Wiki
Quote from: you know who you are
21:26   <XYZ>: I know nothing about this, but I have strong opinions about it.
Fucking hell, you guys are worse than the demons.

Ozarck

• Bay Watcher
  • DiceBane
    • View Profile
« Reply #2134 on: December 11, 2019, 09:04:22 am »

"Well, first, let's find some lowlife for me to fight so I can get this curse removed. are you interested in monster hunting? For variety's sake, of course. We'll also look into insinuating ourselves into the power structure around here and hunting those who think people belong to them. What do you think?"

Converse with my lady friend about our strategy and get her insights. Check my Ghost tracker for nearby ghosts.

Spoiler: Felix Testimony (click to show/hide)

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #2135 on: December 13, 2019, 02:05:39 pm »

"Well, first, let's find some lowlife for me to fight so I can get this curse removed. are you interested in monster hunting? For variety's sake, of course. We'll also look into insinuating ourselves into the power structure around here and hunting those who think people belong to them. What do you think?"

Converse with my lady friend about our strategy and get her insights. Check my Ghost tracker for nearby ghosts.

Spoiler: Felix Testimony (click to show/hide)
Arachne- for of course that is her name- says she vastly prefers humans. She likens the difference to that of eating cooked and seasoned meat and eating raw meat. Both are viable enough, but the first is much more enjoyable. She says that the resort seems like a perfect hunting ground: Intoxicated prey thats off its guard, used to getting its way, and whose disappearance will likely not be noticed for a while.  You ask if their relative high class matters to her and while she's somewhat coy about it, she seems to insinuate that smug self assurance collapsing into terror and helplessness does add a wonderful garnish to the meal.  Alright then.

You check the ghost tracker. There's something, but its faint. Roughly north, but slowly drifting.

You bring up the lock box and attempt to ascertain what is in it or get them to open it up for you. They don't seem to be against the idea, rather they simply don't have the key. It is apparently in the hands of the head of the warehouse, who isn't here at the moment. You do, however, manage to get his name and address out of the representative. If nothing else, you can go....negotiate with him in person.

Sure, arrange a meeting with him, for somewhere in the next few days. Spend the time before that meeting visiting other leather warehouses to get some price quotes and such, to make sure our cover story checks out. Also try to get an idea of what the lowest volume of leather is that one would normally buy through a warehouse instead of a normal storefront, and how much this would cost.

Assuming that all goes well, have the meeting with the guy. First talk about some business as before, then bring up that box and ask if we could look inside it. If he allows this and it is the thing we are looking for, ask for how much he would sell it. If he won't sell it ask if we can at least study it for a while in peace.

The entire sequence of events goes off without a hitch. You learn all about the leather industry, you prepare a perfect and well researched persona, you schmooze and wine and dine and wheel and deal the man until he seems to positively be eating out of your hand. And then, amidst this very inviting atmosphere you bring up the lock box in an off hand manner. And the man's entire personality changes as though a switch has been flipped. Jovial and accepting becomes cold and wary, and he immediately tries to downplay it as being totally unimportant while also being very insistent that you explain why you want to know about it.

He knows something. He knows something for sure.

“How much gold for a block of ice?”

They want 3 gold for it. Its quite a lot, considering what it is.

"It is my ambition, and if I only were choosing for myself I'd take your offer, but Randolf and I both have equal claim to the Aqua Vitae. His ability to use it offensively, and mine to use it for healing, seem like they're two sides of the same coin. His ambition is without question to be a MageBreaker, and I don't hate the idea, so I'm inclined to stay as long as he does, out of consideration, and so we can share the sword appropriately. I don't think I've really got any talent for combat, but I'm willing to learn, if you're willing to teach me. I'm also intersted in the sealing and investigation, as I said. And I think Adam might be able to help there too, I mean, I don't think you've got a lot of people with friendly spirits possessing them, and he seems to be able to detect things I can't."
respond, and check on Adam while I do. He gets a vote on this too, since he's attached to me and all. I don't think it's fair to make big decisions like this without letting him be a part of the decision-making process.

Spoiler: Nina (click to show/hide)
Adam would probably prefer the doctor position honestly.

As per Randy, and this is OOC, it might be a good idea to choose without him. The issue is that he just hasn't acted in a long time so you might be dragging along this hypothetical man forever otherwise.

"I recently had a friend on mine cast a spell on me which makes me faster and more agile. Maybe you should talk to her, or someone like her, Nina."

PM.

Name my flying baboon Salt, and do a stat check on her if possible.
Stock up on baboon snacks and train Salt to follow basic commands. Carrying things, retrieving things, following and staying, and attacking.

Give Saeko the mana and money she needs.

Strength: d8
Speed: d8
Endurance: d6
Knowledge: d4
Will: d4
Senses: d6

We'll assume snacks are bought and its trained in basics.

Done

Take the jewelry box from Zavi as the fare to the ruins of Gravid.  Stash a few items where Ekrov stores what he's not bringing, to save on weight and space.  Distribute the eight parachute sticks, with instructions to people about what they do.  Put emphasis on how these are lifesaving tools, intended to keep you from dying from a fall, so keep them ready and keep them safe.  I don't have an extra one for Zavi, but will make one if Zavi wants to supply the mana for it.

With that, I think we're ready, so mount up and..

Allons!

(unless interrupted)

"You know, Benedict," Saeko said while petting the very thick hide of her pet seige engine, "You're pretty much too big to be practical.  You eat an enormous amount.  You're too big to fit indoors, at least in anything smaller than a large barn, and anyone who sees you gets quite naturally scared."

She then takes out her iron rod to properly give scritches.

"But that's for everyday life.  I don't know about fighting.. that giant mage bug was at least twice the size you are now, and it probably had all kinds of magic and extra stuff.  You're basically just a big, flying, catbird, and I'm worried in case we run into any more giant monsters.  Being half the size and mostly naked isn't a safe way to fight."

The contented creature continues to purr-coo in happy oblivion, understanding halted in favor of carefree bliss.

"After this, I'm going to make you up some proper fighting gear.  And maybe some sort of tunic or banner to identify you as mine.  Identify both of us, so people will know not to run away."

Alright, donezo.

Important question....do you travel at night? Travel constantly? Make camp? Its gonna take a good 2-3 days of flight to reach the place under this load, so it matters for......reasons.

Lenglon

• Bay Watcher
  • Everyone cries, the question is what follows it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2136 on: December 13, 2019, 03:57:30 pm »

((just checked on RGU's profile and he hasn't even logged in to bay12 since august so i suppose he's gone. so... yeah. guess that does remove the question of who's the Aqua Vitae is by default I suppose.))
Am interested in Investigation/Sealing and Doctor positions, also since Randy went MIA during his test and assuming I allow enough time to pass to resolve his MIA status as likely not coming back, then I'll go ahead and take full ownership of the Aqua Vitae.
((I don't think heating something that is right above us to a ridiculous degree is very smart. Worst case scenario we become +metal statues+. This is a finely crafted metal statue. It is encrusted with sharkmist and HMRC. On the item is an image of HMRC and Pancaek. Pancaek is laughing. The HMRC is melting. The artwork relates to the encasing of the HMRC in metal by Pancaek during the Mission of Many People.))

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
  • Thank you TamerVirus for the avatar switcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2137 on: December 13, 2019, 08:02:32 pm »

Pay 3 gold for the ice and start working on the sculpture

Devastator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2138 on: December 13, 2019, 08:35:58 pm »

Probably travel during the day and camp at night.  We're not hiding, after all, and anyone trying to follow us through the air should be pretty obvious.

I also have a little spare room in the mana budget for this mission.  Cast a d8 grow strengthen spell to strengthen my hearing in a similar way to how it was during the full moon night in Lake Candentis.  Have the spell take place over a full month to increase effectacy.  Don't retry if it fails.  Hearing currently has one d8 spell with no duration improving it already.

« Last Edit: December 14, 2019, 06:20:14 pm by Devastator »

syvarris

• Bay Watcher
  • UNICORNPEGASUSKITTEN
    • View Profile
« Reply #2139 on: December 14, 2019, 10:47:56 am »

Ekrov is leaving with Saeko on her trip.  He'll keep the Ferrous Memento inside a bag, itself inside the backpack he carries around--and he's always going to keep the backpack close.

Before he leaves, he's going to continue experimenting with the sculpture.  The main goal here is to make its existence safer, by preventing theft.

1. Can the Ferrous Memento be disassembled, or otherwise disabled, without permanently harming its functionality?  Could Ekrov take an important piece of clockwork out of it and store the piece separately, enabling its use when he reassembles it but making it otherwise inert?  If so, he will do so, and store the piece on his person basically forever.  If not, or if he doesn't know, he won't risk harming the sculpture.

2. Level Knowledge to +2.  Then, try to cast a permanent enchantment, either directly on the sculpture, or on one of its pieces, using all three of "Human", "Iron", and "Clockwork".  The enchantment should let Ekrov *always* know where the sculpture is, and have some idea of its state; whether it's open, in use, being touched, has blood in it, etc.  The former is more important if the latter is impossible, or too complex to be cheap (d8 or less difficulty).  If casting an enchantment on a sculpture is inherently just a bad idea, don't do this.

3. Assuming 1 did not work, and 2 did, use "Animate" along with the three material words that apply to the sculpture, to cast another enchantment.  It's just a magical lock; the skull won't open unless a specific passphrase is spoken to it, which I'm not stating here.  I don't really know how strong a lock this will result in, but use a d6 strength spell unless Ekrov would know a d4 strength spell would, like, need a crowbar or something.  Also, ah, don't do this if it doesn't use endurance.

4. How long does it take to use the Ferrous Memento?  Are memories looked through in real time, thus meaning you need to spend three hours looking to sift through a three hour memory?  When replacing memories with new memories, assuming you already know the memories you're going to implant, does that take seconds?  Minutes?  Hours?  How about deleting memories?  Is that instant?

5. Does Ekrov know how to use the Ferrous Memento only because he created it?  If someone else were to fiddle around with it (without casting divination spells) could they figure out what it does?

6. Does using the Ferrous Memento require physical touch, or only physical possession?  If it were carried in a backpack or something, would that still allow its use?

Finally, I've made a list of which objects Ekrov is taking along with him:

Spoiler: O.o (click to show/hide)

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
  • Morals? Ethics? Conscience? HA!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2140 on: December 17, 2019, 01:36:04 pm »

The entire sequence of events goes off without a hitch. You learn all about the leather industry, you prepare a perfect and well researched persona, you schmooze and wine and dine and wheel and deal the man until he seems to positively be eating out of your hand. And then, amidst this very inviting atmosphere you bring up the lock box in an off hand manner. And the man's entire personality changes as though a switch has been flipped. Jovial and accepting becomes cold and wary, and he immediately tries to downplay it as being totally unimportant while also being very insistent that you explain why you want to know about it.

He knows something. He knows something for sure.

Just play it cool, explain we heard it on the grapevine around town. Maybe he could just let us study it for a while at least?

Also: try to get an idea of what the lowest volume of leather is that one would normally buy through a warehouse instead of a normal storefront, and how much this would cost.

Einsteinian Roulette Wiki
Quote from: you know who you are
21:26   <XYZ>: I know nothing about this, but I have strong opinions about it.
Fucking hell, you guys are worse than the demons.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • technical difficulties
    • View Profile
« Reply #2141 on: December 17, 2019, 02:04:33 pm »

Go ahead and sell off that box of jewelry and ornate sword I looted way back in the mansion. Some more gold would be nice.
Check the rifle I got from the camp. What's its attack die, and is it a gunpowder rifle or a spring powered one or something?
If I could, see if I could get some parts and tools to modify it. Could I enchant some of the parts to create a "small" explosion inside the chamber every time the trigger is pulled without casting a spell each time, permanently? If not that, maybe it draws 1 mana from the wielder each time it fires? If so, I'd reinforce the chamber to be able to survive the magical propellant, and make it fire solid steel bullets without their own propellant.
...It might be easier to build that from scratch rather than try to modify the rifle I have. That's fine too.

Devastator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2142 on: December 17, 2019, 03:10:09 pm »

(Didn't you pay the box of jewelry for the fare?)

Pancaek

• Bay Watcher
  • Real stupidity beats artificial intelligence
    • View Profile
« Reply #2143 on: December 17, 2019, 04:25:19 pm »

For now, play up the act of being nothing more than dumb muscle that Darwin the totally legitimate merchant has hired. Pick my nose a bit to amplify the effect.

Spoiler:  Écalir Speedwagon (click to show/hide)

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • technical difficulties
    • View Profile
« Reply #2144 on: December 17, 2019, 04:44:56 pm »

Nah, my boldtext was to pay you in gold.
Pages: 1 ... 141 142 [143] 144 145 ... 203