Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 149 150 [151] 152 153 ... 203

Author Topic: Cabal: Wizard Open World Game  (Read 342955 times)

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • what about full of shit? is that a meme too?
    • View Profile
Re: Cabal: Wizard Open World Game
« Reply #2250 on: January 28, 2020, 04:19:36 am »

"That's fine, just, ugh, stop whining."
I live how my maker made me.
Broken broken tip to tail.

syvarris

• Bay Watcher
  • UNICORNPEGASUSKITTEN
    • View Profile
« Reply #2251 on: January 28, 2020, 04:21:48 am »

Ekrov breathes a long sigh of relief.  "Thank you, Zavi.  I appreciate it."

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2252 on: January 28, 2020, 04:50:13 am »

"Yeah, well, if you want to watch you'd better come along now. I'm only doing this once."

Devastator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2253 on: January 28, 2020, 04:56:03 am »

Spoiler: RP (click to show/hide)

syvarris

• Bay Watcher
  • UNICORNPEGASUSKITTEN
    • View Profile
« Reply #2254 on: January 28, 2020, 05:30:04 am »

Spoiler: RP, finish (click to show/hide)

Firstly, eat all that thaum which Ekrov's been carrying around.  All 300 of it.  Do it slowly, just in case absorbing hundreds of mana at once has some kind of effect.  Then, level Kno to d12+5 (-210 mana, leaving him with 123 mana).  Observe whatever odd effects this creates in Ekrov's mind.

Accompany Zavi when she goes to drain magicoal out of one of the small barrels.  Draw a sketch as she does so, and use "animate" and "human" while drawing to make the sketch show the flow of mana out of the magicoal, and the stability of the mana remaining inside.  The goal here is to try and understand precisely how the channeller drain interacts with magicoal, and how that affects the magicoal's stability, with an eye towards learning whether it would be safe to drain the big pile--and if there might be any surprising dangers.

After Zavi's done, or once no more information can be gained from watching her, do go look at the big pile of magicoal, and examine it.  Maybe cast another "animate" spell, while sketching it, to get further information.  I just want to be sure that it can be drained safely by Zavi.

After all that, work on converting one of the barrels of magicoal into thaum.  Absorb said thaum.  This should give (3*(3d10+10))d20 mana, or a 50% chance of >1323 mana.  Assuming there's no surprising hidden inefficiencies, obstacles, or time constraints.

((Edit: The below two paragraphs were handled in PM.  Cost has not been given for the know spell.))

Finally, know roll the mage breakers.  Namely, what they would do with this much mana--literally, one barrel is expected to have well over a thousand mana in it, and we've got a ton of barrels, in addition to a giant pile of magicoal that can probably only be safely drained by mage breakers.  We functionally just stumbled across a massive amount of weapons-grade plutonium.  I know the Mage Breakers are in service to Telcal, and Telcal is pretty much Orcus sitting on his throne, so would it be a dangerous/evil thing to give the mage breakers access to this much untouched magic?  Additionally, would they decide that Ekrov and Saeko, having access themselves to a large portion of this magic, are dangerous and should be eliminated?  Or are the mage breakers actually somehow good and benevolent, despite being an all powerful police force under a dictatorship helmed by a physical god?

You know what, use "human" (as in, the nature of humans with power) to cast a scrying spell to try and predict the future on this matter, but only at d12 strength, because that much cost literally does not matter even slightly anymore.  I have d12+5 know with thousands of mana to spare, jesus...  Don't do this if the spell would have to be d20 to be helpful, though, that's a bit too much risk of a critfail.

Spoiler: O.o (click to show/hide)

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
  • Thank you TamerVirus for the avatar switcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2255 on: January 28, 2020, 07:39:32 am »

Ask the adventurer if I can help with anything
“Since you helped me, I would like to help you. Are you on a quest or anything I can accompany you on?”
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Ozarck

• Bay Watcher
  • DiceBane
    • View Profile
« Reply #2256 on: January 28, 2020, 07:43:47 am »

Quote from: Arachne
"This place is a hunting ground. Not sure if its after the clients normally, or if its just feeding on the human wreckage that this place creates. Either way there's an apex predator here and it doesn't like me intruding."

"Neat! Think it's sapient? Can you give me any more details? Size, shape, smell, sounds it made, any of that kind of thing? I wonder if it has any weaknesses? Might be out of my league if it worries you so much, though. Still, I AM an ascetic, eh? Good job on escaping and diverting attention, by the way."

Ask Arachne for more details and gauge her reaction to my suggestion of attacking the apex monster. Scratch Mr Fluffy on the chin.

contemplate casting weapon on Arachne to reinforce her natural weaponry. That would be an endurance roll, correct? how challenging would it be to give ehr a temporary doubling of her spider strength or pinchers or whatnot? How about casting toxin to enhance her venom? how about casting toxin on my blade? since it's cursed, how would the curse likely interfere with the cast?

raise endurance and will to +1

Spoiler: Felix Testimony (click to show/hide)

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #2257 on: January 29, 2020, 03:05:36 pm »

With some rough hammering and straps you manage to convert the nonfitting d8 armor to semi-fitted d6 armor. Its not perfect, but its better than running around with his tail feathers in the wind.
Just pay the local armorsmith to turn it into a fitted d8 then.

Going by readings from the compass now, and what you remember of it in Alkahest, you think the last artifact is in one of two places: Offa Helmonth or Balneum Mariae.

After that, go check out the closest of those two locations for the final piece.

Spoiler: Darwin Zeppeli (click to show/hide)

-15 gold and an awkward conversation then.

Balneum Mariae  is closest.  I'm not sure if you wanna teleport but I'm assuming you wanna travel there on foot. Its the Oasis city out in the Fulminating Sands that Oz is currently hanging out in. Or at least hanging out near.

The compass points north from here, cementing the location as the town of  Offa Helmonth.  That town is out deep in the desert, with no roads to it, lost when the sands spread. Getting to it with the compass is easy but many miles out through deadly sands.

Drain a chunk of magicoal from the small storage to test if I get the same rate of mana from it as conversion to Thaum (3d20).
If so, eat a full barrel of 70 chunks for 210d20 mana and spend 1420 mana maxing my stats to +5 each.

Spoiler: Zavi (click to show/hide)
[6v9]
You attempt to drain the stone of its mana but it resists you mightily, like trying to pull a stuck boot out of a swamp. It seems as though the magic is very well woven into the structure of the rock itself...maybe if you powderized it?

Use 30 mana to up senses to +2.

This turn examine the now-opened armouries, and recover any interesting looking weapons and armour.  Also look specifically to see if I can find a word for something like Weapon, Armour, or Protect.  Check for other things too, such as armoury tools, they might have offensive words on them if I can't find the preferred ones.

ok.

[3+2 v 10] No luck finding words

The armory itself contains the following things, apparently untouched since the city fell.

1. 33 more rifles
2. 1 rifle that instead of just being a rod, ends in a sort of flower pedal design of silver tines.
3. 7 of what look like gold orbs covered in a swirling design
4. 17 of what look like telescoping silver rods with flat ends on each side.
5. 19 more of those sabers
6. 13 full sets of silver armor
7. 3 of what are apparently humanoid Golems, standing in metal lockers of a sort.
8. 4 of what look like rifles but scaled up to tree trunk size and loaded on little platforms of sorts.
9. 2 more of those wire laying tools
10. 3 spools of gold wire

Spoiler: RP, finish (click to show/hide)

Firstly, eat all that thaum which Ekrov's been carrying around.  All 300 of it.  Do it slowly, just in case absorbing hundreds of mana at once has some kind of effect.  Then, level Kno to d12+5 (-210 mana, leaving him with 123 mana).  Observe whatever odd effects this creates in Ekrov's mind.

Accompany Zavi when she goes to drain magicoal out of one of the small barrels.  Draw a sketch as she does so, and use "animate" and "human" while drawing to make the sketch show the flow of mana out of the magicoal, and the stability of the mana remaining inside.  The goal here is to try and understand precisely how the channeller drain interacts with magicoal, and how that affects the magicoal's stability, with an eye towards learning whether it would be safe to drain the big pile--and if there might be any surprising dangers.

After Zavi's done, or once no more information can be gained from watching her, do go look at the big pile of magicoal, and examine it.  Maybe cast another "animate" spell, while sketching it, to get further information.  I just want to be sure that it can be drained safely by Zavi.

After all that, work on converting one of the barrels of magicoal into thaum.  Absorb said thaum.  This should give (3*(3d10+10))d20 mana, or a 50% chance of >1323 mana.  Assuming there's no surprising hidden inefficiencies, obstacles, or time constraints.

((Edit: The below two paragraphs were handled in PM.  Cost has not been given for the know spell.))

Finally, know roll the mage breakers.  Namely, what they would do with this much mana--literally, one barrel is expected to have well over a thousand mana in it, and we've got a ton of barrels, in addition to a giant pile of magicoal that can probably only be safely drained by mage breakers.  We functionally just stumbled across a massive amount of weapons-grade plutonium.  I know the Mage Breakers are in service to Telcal, and Telcal is pretty much Orcus sitting on his throne, so would it be a dangerous/evil thing to give the mage breakers access to this much untouched magic?  Additionally, would they decide that Ekrov and Saeko, having access themselves to a large portion of this magic, are dangerous and should be eliminated?  Or are the mage breakers actually somehow good and benevolent, despite being an all powerful police force under a dictatorship helmed by a physical god?

You know what, use "human" (as in, the nature of humans with power) to cast a scrying spell to try and predict the future on this matter, but only at d12 strength, because that much cost literally does not matter even slightly anymore.  I have d12+5 know with thousands of mana to spare, jesus...  Don't do this if the spell would have to be d20 to be helpful, though, that's a bit too much risk of a critfail.

Spoiler: O.o (click to show/hide)
[1]
You manage to get all that mana into you but you're literally glowing like a goddamn torch. There's electrical discharge dancing across your skin and you might be hovering slightly. You pour the majority of that power straight into knowledge and the results are...strange. The glow reduces a lot, but doesn't completely vanish while the electric and floating do go away.  A third eye, larger thant he others with a black sclera and glittering gold pupil-less iris, opens vertically in your forehead. .

This action is undercut by Zavi's failure.

[10+5v12]

You close your two normal eyes and stare at the pile with the remaining third, considering it through the strange vision it grants you.  Zavi's power could drain it, but it would be like draining an ocean with a straw. His body could not handle that much mana within himself either, not now.  In the old days, when magic was everywhere, there was a sort of stabilizing pressure to it, men drew it in like breath and pushed it out as they needed it. They were directing conduits, not batteries.  To hold this much power in one body would be like holding a year's worth of breath in your lungs. Chances are he probably wouldn't survive; his vessel shattered by it. If it was inflused slowly, he might have a better chance but it would change him. It would make him the vessel it needed. No idea what such a thing would entail. Maybe if there was some way to condense clots of it into bite size chunks...

In light of what you learned above, you decide not to inject 1300 mana into your guts and possibly explode.

Ask the adventurer if I can help with anything
“Since you helped me, I would like to help you. Are you on a quest or anything I can accompany you on?”

"I was hired to check out some ruins near Kaolin. I'd cut you in for a share if you want."

Quote from: Arachne
"This place is a hunting ground. Not sure if its after the clients normally, or if its just feeding on the human wreckage that this place creates. Either way there's an apex predator here and it doesn't like me intruding."

"Neat! Think it's sapient? Can you give me any more details? Size, shape, smell, sounds it made, any of that kind of thing? I wonder if it has any weaknesses? Might be out of my league if it worries you so much, though. Still, I AM an ascetic, eh? Good job on escaping and diverting attention, by the way."

Ask Arachne for more details and gauge her reaction to my suggestion of attacking the apex monster. Scratch Mr Fluffy on the chin.

contemplate casting weapon on Arachne to reinforce her natural weaponry. That would be an endurance roll, correct? how challenging would it be to give ehr a temporary doubling of her spider strength or pinchers or whatnot? How about casting toxin to enhance her venom? how about casting toxin on my blade? since it's cursed, how would the curse likely interfere with the cast?

raise endurance and will to +1

(Raised)

She tells you that the impression she got was of a giant liquid shadow in the vague shape of a feline. Like some sort of smoke puma or the like. Of course that might not be its true form. It likely has a human form like herself, as well as being able to shift into other forms to better strike at prey.

It would be an endurance roll, yes.  Doubling of her entire strength would be difficult, but doubling the effectiveness of say, her poison or her fangs or the pointed tip of a single leg is a lot more doable. Its in the d6 or d8 range. Toxin for her poison would be about d4 or d6 depending on if its temporary. 

As per casting on your knife, thats a whole nother bucket of worms. You have no idea how it might react. The curse might deflect it, or it might mingle and form some new curse. Maybe it would just cast toxin on the knife and not effect the curse at all. Crap shoot.

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
  • Thank you TamerVirus for the avatar switcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2258 on: January 29, 2020, 04:40:19 pm »

Go with the adventurer to Kaolin
“Alright, let’s head to Kaolin”

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2259 on: January 29, 2020, 04:50:59 pm »

Zavirius makes an almost-growl.
"Not gonna work. This stuff holds onto its mana too strongly. It's almost as if the universe wants us to stay here longer. It might actually be simpler to start draining the large storage first, if it's unstable it probably loses mana more easily."

Devastator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2260 on: January 29, 2020, 08:02:17 pm »

Saeko points at Ekrov.

"So.. that's too stable?  I don't think that's safe.  I mean, it's a huge pile, and it's less stable.."

Ekrov?

Ozarck

• Bay Watcher
  • DiceBane
    • View Profile
« Reply #2261 on: January 29, 2020, 09:43:26 pm »

Hearing about a Giant Darkness Kitty, Felix's eyes go wide and start to shine with excitement. He's definitely going to try to fight this thing now. Kill, tame, or die time.

Offer to buff Arachne for the fight and ask her if she thinks she can physically harm the enemy, poison or ensare with spider web or magic spider web or anything. mention the glowy orb and see if she knows anything about that.

Do I have any method of determining what my shiny orb actually does? I know magical scrying is a thing, but do I need a certain kind of material for that? if so, what kind?

syvarris

• Bay Watcher
  • UNICORNPEGASUSKITTEN
    • View Profile
« Reply #2262 on: January 30, 2020, 02:51:10 am »

"...No, Zavi.  I can see it, now.  The magicoal.  You may be able to drain from the pile, if you are careful, but it would be unavoidably dangerous.  It is... imagine trying to eat a bear.  If you just walk up to it and bite it, it will immediately kill you.  Even if you killed it first, avoiding the danger, attempting to swallow the entire bear would be impossible.  You would have to section off a small portion, and consume it slowly, over a very long period of time.  The sectioning would not be doable without care and tools, either; simply biting at a bear corpse would work horribly.  And unlike a bear, the magicoal--even if you got past the difficulty of draining the mana, if you successfully begin a drain, then the sheer flow will overwhelm you.  You physically cannot hold that much mana, I can see it.  If you failed to die, then it would warp you into something... else.  Something more appropriate as a container.  Death might be better than that."

Ekrov closes his normal eyes and shakes his head, though his third eye remains locked on Zavi, unblinking.  "No.  It is not safe, not for you, not for us, and not for the country.  If you are hungry for more mana, try to drain smaller pieces of magicoal, from the barrels.  Crush them first, perhaps.  It may be hard, but you are quite capable of doing it, I believe."

Devastator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2263 on: January 30, 2020, 03:36:59 am »

"Uhh.." paused Saeko, somewhat overwhelmed by her friend Ekrov's eloquence and changed apperance.  "So yeah, sorry Zavi, but I'm not going to let you in to try and drain it, at least not until we have a much better idea how to do it safely."

Devastator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2264 on: January 30, 2020, 01:22:20 pm »

Do an in-depth examination of the unidentified items:  The gold orbs, the flower-petal rifle, and the telescoping silver rods.  If it looks possible, disassemble one of the orbs and the silver rods.  Goal is to learn about these items in particular, and how to make and repair thaumic equipment in general.  Include trying to feed each item one mana.

Orders for the crew are to explore technician areas for more tools this time, I'd like up to three full sets of thaumic repair tools as well as stuff like protective gear.  Bring back documentation and manuals, if found.  Odd reagents and such are to be left in place for examination by Ekrov first.

It's also possible there might be magical but mundane tools, like diamond saws and such.  Bringing back those would be good, too.

« Last Edit: February 01, 2020, 12:14:24 am by Devastator »
Pages: 1 ... 149 150 [151] 152 153 ... 203