Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 150 151 [152] 153 154 ... 203

Author Topic: Cabal: Wizard Open World Game  (Read 342210 times)

Devastator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Cabal: Wizard Open World Game
« Reply #2265 on: January 30, 2020, 09:43:14 pm »

"There's.. also one more thing I'd like to ask you, Zavi.

I know you're working for the magebreakers.  Would you consider keeping some of this stuff.. secret from them?"

syvarris

• Bay Watcher
  • UNICORNPEGASUSKITTEN
    • View Profile
« Reply #2266 on: January 31, 2020, 11:57:29 am »

I'm going to assume I spent ten mana on that scrying spell, since no cost was given.  Already subtracted the mana.  Oh, and lock the door that leads to the big pile of magicoal, while keeping track of any keys that can open it.  If possible, keep ahold of those keys, for now.

Spend 30 mana increasing Endurance to +2.  Does this reduce the glowing?

Experiment a little bit with the third eye.  Is its vision any different from Ekrov's normal two eyes?  Does he have control over it?  Can it look backwards, into his head?

Assist Saeko with researching how to make/repair thaumic items, and in particular examine the gold wire and wire-laying tools.  Disassemble one of the tools in the process, and sketch out its design in detail while doing so.

Finally, inspect the control systems in the big circular room.  The "great slabs of silvered metal set into the walls, gold veined controls on plinths, what appear to be suits of black armor sitting in specially made cradles and trailing long gold cords from their heads and shoulders."  Are any of those suits of armor still occupied?  Can Ekrov figure out how to get into one, without actually trying?  Does it seem like there's any residual magic left in the systems, or are they completely dead?

Spoiler: O.o (click to show/hide)

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • technical difficulties
    • View Profile
« Reply #2267 on: February 01, 2020, 02:33:03 pm »

"Now, why would I do that?" Zavi says after a moment passes, jovially if cautiously.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2020, 02:35:49 pm by Egan_BW »
Insatiable consumption. Ceaseless motion. Unstoppable destruction.

Devastator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2268 on: February 01, 2020, 02:45:00 pm »

"Because.. umm, there's enough mana here to start a war over it.  I do plan on taking a bunch, but I don't want to start a war.  So, I'd much rather just say we found a bunch of magicoal and some thaumic stuff, but not THIS much."

"I dunno how much to say.  Six barrels, maybe?  As is I think I'll sell and spread around a bunch of it, just so that many people will have some, instead of just us."

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • technical difficulties
    • View Profile
« Reply #2269 on: February 01, 2020, 02:56:57 pm »

Zavirius shakes her head slowly. "If it's that dangerous, then I should definitely keep the Magebreakers informed of it."

Devastator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2270 on: February 01, 2020, 03:03:55 pm »

"Zavi, if you tell them that they'll probably just arrest us all, and I don't know if there will be a fair trial.  Last time I worked with them, they were all about killing whatever they thought was a threat."

"There were two hundred hostages being held below Lake Candentis, and when we went down there to fight a giant bug-mage that was kidnapping them, they suggested just destrying the underground cavern.  I spent weeks getting together a bunch of other people, some weapons, and making a path to be able to rescue the others, and every time I talked with them about saving the hostages, they just went back to wanting to destroy the cavern, regardless of what happened to the hostages, and going away."

"I mean, they did manage to get out in the end, or at least nearly all of them did, but it wasn't because of the magebreakers.  They were all about just murdering whatever did that and calling it a day."

"So yeah, I think if you tell them everything about this place, they'll likely arrest all of us.  I don't think they'd kill us, but I'd much rather we solve the problems here and just keep it a bit quiet."
« Last Edit: February 01, 2020, 03:12:01 pm by Devastator »

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #2271 on: February 01, 2020, 03:08:44 pm »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Go with the adventurer to Kaolin
“Alright, let’s head to Kaolin”
You make your way towards Kaolin, stopping in Lunare along the way. The adventurer recommends you buy any supplies you think you'll need for underground travel and cold weather.

Hearing about a Giant Darkness Kitty, Felix's eyes go wide and start to shine with excitement. He's definitely going to try to fight this thing now. Kill, tame, or die time.

Offer to buff Arachne for the fight and ask her if she thinks she can physically harm the enemy, poison or ensare with spider web or magic spider web or anything. mention the glowy orb and see if she knows anything about that.

Do I have any method of determining what my shiny orb actually does? I know magical scrying is a thing, but do I need a certain kind of material for that? if so, what kind?

Spoiler: Felix Testimony (click to show/hide)
She thinks that maybe she can ensnare it with a web, if that web is specifically made for that purpose. She does, however, say that doing so will probably need some special ingredients, main among them being silver.  She doesn't know what the glow orb is.

You can attempt to just Know roll it, but that would be hard. You could also attempt to cast a scry spell, especially if you have a material related to the orb. Like stone or something. You might be able to do it using "force" but it would be hard. You could also try to find someone else to identify it. Scholars might know about it. Antique dealers, those kinds of people.

Do an in-depth examination of the unidentified items:  The gold orbs, the flower-petal rifle, and the telescoping silver rods.  If it looks possible, disassemble one of the orbs and the silver rods.  Goal is to learn about these items in particular, and how to make and repair thaumic equipment in general.  Include trying to feed each item one mana.

Orders for the crew are to explore technician areas for more tools this time, I'd like up to three full sets of thaumic repair tools as well as stuff like protective gear.  Bring back documentation and manuals, if found.  Odd reagents and such are to be left in place for examination by Ekrov first.

It's also possible there might be magical but mundane tools, like diamond saws and such.  Bringing back those would be good, too.

We'll assume you do the mana feeding first.

The telecoping silver rod expands outwards. We'll assume you're doing this outside so it just expands out to its maximum size and stops. It then projects a force field up , forming a wall a few feet high and as wide as the rod. It stays there  and doesn't waver until you give it a wack and then it collapses, energy apparently expended.

The flower pedal gun does much the same as the normal rifle, but instead of a single bolt it fires maybe 2 dozen smaller ones. Easy.

The orb [5+3v10] detonates with surprising force after a few seconds. Luckily you only had 1 mana in it and luckily you're pretty tough, but its still going off in your hand.   

After You bandage up the finger stumps and get the blood loss under control, you have one of your workers help with disassembling one of the orbs and the rods. [1+2 v 4, 7+2v7]
The orb disassembly doesn't go well, but the rod works and you manage to dig out the core of it. It contains the words [Force D4] [Wall d12] and [Permanent d10]

There are several technician areas in the ship and sadly the first one they check yield nothing much of use as it seems to have been damaged by a fire. Within it is found only one large spool of the gold wire and a wiring diagram for some kind of machine. There is also some kind of large blade contraption kind of like a paper cutter but far more robust and several large bricks of the black stone.

I'm going to assume I spent ten mana on that scrying spell, since no cost was given.  Already subtracted the mana.  Oh, and lock the door that leads to the big pile of magicoal, while keeping track of any keys that can open it.  If possible, keep ahold of those keys, for now.

Spend 30 mana increasing Endurance to +2.  Does this reduce the glowing?

Experiment a little bit with the third eye.  Is its vision any different from Ekrov's normal two eyes?  Does he have control over it?  Can it look backwards, into his head?

Assist Saeko with researching how to make/repair thaumic items, and in particular examine the gold wire and wire-laying tools.  Disassemble one of the tools in the process, and sketch out its design in detail while doing so.

Finally, inspect the control systems in the big circular room.  The "great slabs of silvered metal set into the walls, gold veined controls on plinths, what appear to be suits of black armor sitting in specially made cradles and trailing long gold cords from their heads and shoulders."  Are any of those suits of armor still occupied?  Can Ekrov figure out how to get into one, without actually trying?  Does it seem like there's any residual magic left in the systems, or are they completely dead?

Oh sorry. It was actually 11 but we'll go with 10 . Why not.

It does reduce your glowing, for multiple reasons.

It is different, but its rather hard to explain. It sort of sees the nature and truth of things in a transitory and phantom like way, things exploding out into their component parts and labels moving here and there. You can only get bits of it as it flickers in and out, wire diagrams of gold flashing like glimpses of of the sun. You can't really control its direction like normal eyes; its too big to turn in its weird "Socket" you have to turn your whole head.

[1+5v8] You're close. Gosh darn it I just want to tell you already. Do it again!

None of the suits are occupied. As per putting it on, Ekrov is pretty sure he can get it on fairly easily...well except for that helmet. The big eyeball makes that headband a bit awkward. Does this eyeball have an eye lid...Nope.  Does it feel pain...No actually. Its hard as a rock. Huh.

You check the systems and think there's enough energy left in it to run it for a few minutes.

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #2272 on: February 01, 2020, 03:12:07 pm »

Night comes for the ruins team and in the darkness something can be seen churning in the sky in the distance. Lights can be seen from the east and south east, several slowly twisting lines of light that seem to be flying slowly closer.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • technical difficulties
    • View Profile
« Reply #2273 on: February 01, 2020, 03:13:53 pm »

"We would have no reason to arrest you, so long as you don't harm our citizens. It would be unjust to attack you simply for being powerful. And Saeko, I do believe that you're a force for good."

Devastator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2274 on: February 01, 2020, 03:33:20 pm »

"All right, I guess I'll just have to trust you."  Saeko smiles weakly.

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
  • Thank you TamerVirus for the avatar switcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2275 on: February 01, 2020, 06:37:16 pm »

Buy a flashlight and warm clothes like a winter coat, warm boots, snow pants, a hat, some gloves, and a sweatshirt or 2
« Last Edit: February 02, 2020, 05:56:11 am by Naturegirl1999 »

syvarris

• Bay Watcher
  • UNICORNPEGASUSKITTEN
    • View Profile
« Reply #2276 on: February 02, 2020, 12:26:29 am »

I subtracted the extra mana point from the 11 cost.  It doesn't matter anyway.  Can the eye see through objects?  It explodes out objects and allows Ekrov to see their components, so if he stares at a wall, can he see some bits of the stuff behind it?  What if he hangs a thin cloth over it?

Anyway, you said to do this again.  So do it again: "Assist Saeko with researching how to make/repair thaumic items, and in particular examine the gold wire and wire-laying tools.  Disassemble one of the tools in the process, and sketch out its design in detail while doing so."

...Go grab some ash from the thaumic furnace area real quick.  Ekrov needs some and I've somehow forgotten this for the entire time we've been here.

See if a few more chunks of magicoal can't be melted into thaum quicklike.  Having a bit more mana before the incoming fight would be a good idea.  If that can't be done in combat time, oh well.

Finally, scry the incoming monster worm lights things.  Do this by drawing a rough overhead map of the area that they're heading into, and draw a single line on the very edge.  Use "animate" to animate the line into a live depiction of the closest monster, moving into the environment, and once it's fully inside the picture, cast another animate to zoom in on it, follow it, and make it more detailed.  Repeat, if necessary, until a clear idea of what the monster is can be obtained.  Provide supplementary sketches as needed, and directed by the magic.

EDIT: Heal Saeko's hand, with "human".

Ekrov walks up behind Saeko, placing his hand on his shoulder and gently tugging her around to look at him.  He smiles warmly, trying to look comforting, though the black eye in his forehead disrupts the effect.  "It's okay, Saeko.  The mage breakers need to know.  Maybe, if things were different, they would come after us.  I'm not sure.  But currently... something is coming, and they know not to start a war.  They need allies, and we will be seen as perfect allies, with the power gained from this place."  He nods, smile widening slightly.  "You don't need to worry.  We can't use all of this ourselves, and the mage breakers are better than most of those who can.  Right now, they have a goal we can agree with; protecting the country from what is coming.  I... can see the future now, or limited parts at least, and I *know* this.  We should be honest with them, and work with them.  It is the best path for us, and for everyone else."

Devastator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2277 on: February 02, 2020, 01:12:36 am »

"..."

"Is that like a prophecy?"

"..."

"Is it the same here, then, Ekrov?"

"Always another dark lord?  Always another threat that's going to destroy the world, unless it's us who saves it?"

"I did that already.  And what I learned when travelling is there's always another threat, always another monster, always someone else to fight and kill."

"I.. didn't want that.  I wanted to travel, see the world, help people on an individual basis.  Instead of ending the next Dragon Lord, the next Vampire King, the next Alien Space Bat, I'd get to make specific people happy.  I'd get to do things for one person at a time, and that felt better."

"I guess I'm getting a sequel instead."

Grab one of the thaumic rifles, and one of the defensive rods.

Go head to one of the machine guns, and get it ready.  Use a (2hr duration) 1d8 Strengthen Enlarge spell to make it and it's bullets a bit larger than the one that attacked the siren was, about 35mm or so.  That one had a d6 strengthen enlarge spell on it.
Cast three more temporary support spells on it, all also 2hr duration.  A d6 Strengthen Speed Steel spell to increase the velocity of the bullets, a d8 Strengthen Steel spell to give the bullets hardened steel penetrators, and a d6 Strengthen Force spell to make the bullets hit even harder on contact.

Retry all failures.  Currently have 52 mana.

Ekrov, please heal the missing fingers with your Human, please.  Shouldn't be too hard.

(Should be more effective than the one was in the cavern.  Bigger enlarge spell, d8 compared to d6, the extra velocity spell has a steel word to specifically boost the now-steel bullets, and there's an extra Force spell making them hit even harder.)

« Last Edit: February 04, 2020, 12:20:49 am by Devastator »

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
  • Morals? Ethics? Conscience? HA!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2278 on: February 03, 2020, 12:46:05 pm »

((quickpost :v ))

Where is the nearest hotspot of bandit activity in this area? Or any known bandit camps/locations?

Spoiler: Darwin Zeppeli (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: February 03, 2020, 12:55:49 pm by Radio Controlled »

Einsteinian Roulette Wiki
Quote from: you know who you are
21:26   <XYZ>: I know nothing about this, but I have strong opinions about it.
Fucking hell, you guys are worse than the demons.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • technical difficulties
    • View Profile
« Reply #2279 on: February 04, 2020, 01:02:11 pm »

Smush some magic rocks for mana.

Spoiler: Zavi (click to show/hide)
Pages: 1 ... 150 151 [152] 153 154 ... 203