Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 151 152 [153] 154 155 ... 203

Author Topic: Cabal: Wizard Open World Game  (Read 337995 times)

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
Re: Cabal: Wizard Open World Game
« Reply #2280 on: February 04, 2020, 02:17:48 pm »

((quickpost :v ))

Where is the nearest hotspot of bandit activity in this area? Or any known bandit camps/locations?

Spoiler: Darwin Zeppeli (click to show/hide)
You ask around about bandits. They say that there are probably hidden camps, but that the largest concentration seems to come from the old city of Pinguious, to the south. Its half sunk, abandoned my the rightful citizens but now under the control of others.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Buy a flashlight and warm clothes like a winter coat, warm boots, snow pants, a hat, some gloves, and a sweatshirt or 2
Flashlights aren't terribly common so we'll give you some torches instead. You get your gear for 3 gold.

Smush some magic rocks for mana.

Spoiler: Zavi (click to show/hide)
[6v8][3+1v6]
You attempt to crush a piece of magicoal down into a powder, but even your best wild flailing only turns it into pebbles, which you still fail to draw mana from.

I subtracted the extra mana point from the 11 cost.  It doesn't matter anyway.  Can the eye see through objects?  It explodes out objects and allows Ekrov to see their components, so if he stares at a wall, can he see some bits of the stuff behind it?  What if he hangs a thin cloth over it?

Anyway, you said to do this again.  So do it again: "Assist Saeko with researching how to make/repair thaumic items, and in particular examine the gold wire and wire-laying tools.  Disassemble one of the tools in the process, and sketch out its design in detail while doing so."

...Go grab some ash from the thaumic furnace area real quick.  Ekrov needs some and I've somehow forgotten this for the entire time we've been here.

See if a few more chunks of magicoal can't be melted into thaum quicklike.  Having a bit more mana before the incoming fight would be a good idea.  If that can't be done in combat time, oh well.

Finally, scry the incoming monster worm lights things.  Do this by drawing a rough overhead map of the area that they're heading into, and draw a single line on the very edge.  Use "animate" to animate the line into a live depiction of the closest monster, moving into the environment, and once it's fully inside the picture, cast another animate to zoom in on it, follow it, and make it more detailed.  Repeat, if necessary, until a clear idea of what the monster is can be obtained.  Provide supplementary sketches as needed, and directed by the magic.

EDIT: Heal Saeko's hand, with "human".

Ekrov walks up behind Saeko, placing his hand on his shoulder and gently tugging her around to look at him.  He smiles warmly, trying to look comforting, though the black eye in his forehead disrupts the effect.  "It's okay, Saeko.  The mage breakers need to know.  Maybe, if things were different, they would come after us.  I'm not sure.  But currently... something is coming, and they know not to start a war.  They need allies, and we will be seen as perfect allies, with the power gained from this place."  He nods, smile widening slightly.  "You don't need to worry.  We can't use all of this ourselves, and the mage breakers are better than most of those who can.  Right now, they have a goal we can agree with; protecting the country from what is coming.  I... can see the future now, or limited parts at least, and I *know* this.  We should be honest with them, and work with them.  It is the best path for us, and for everyone else."

Spoiler: O.o (click to show/hide)
When you stare at a wall, it doesn't explode components. Instead you see small phantoms of its component materials. Apparently if something has no real moving parts you just see what its made of.

[9+5 v8]

Ok so I'll just lay this out. Gold wire channels mana from a source. It is passed through something inscribed with a word or runic representation of magic, causing the mana to be formed into whatever that word or combo of words is, and then it travels along the wires some more until it comes out. In the flyers the core of this thing is the lantern, which focuses the burning magicoal's energy into life for the machine. However, in terms of how that machine is controlled, thats where spirits come in. These guys have harnessed spirits and used them as components for the machines, giving the otherwise dumb device an intelligence.

You grab some ash.

In the time it will take, We can melt 2. 35+38 for 73 total thaum.

[2+2v4] You get her hand healed, though only barely. The Newly regenerated parts are pretty weak and emaciated.

[12+5v4] -4 mana.  You rapidly create a map. Rather than messing with paper or drawing you instead point a finger at the sand nearby and animate it, causing it to rise and form a perfect topographical map of the entire local area. The monsters appear as floating masses of sand, slowly winding forwards like snakes swimming through water. With a wave of a finger the map "Zooms" in on the monster and gives you a better look at it. Each is 200 or so feet long but relatively skinny. Mechanical, clearly, a sort of worm zeppelin or something like it. You can make out individual segments, cables connecting body sections, thin bladed limbs, camera clusters, propellers. No rider or head or any kind of obvious center of intelligence.  At current slow rate of movement, they're roughly 30 minutes out. Maybe more like 15 now, at the end of the turn. They seem to be searching.

"..."

"Is that like a prophecy?"

"..."

"Is it the same here, then, Ekrov?"

"Always another dark lord?  Always another threat that's going to destroy the world, unless it's us who saves it?"

"I did that already.  And what I learned when travelling is there's always another threat, always another monster, always someone else to fight and kill."

"I.. didn't want that.  I wanted to travel, see the world, help people on an individual basis.  Instead of ending the next Dragon Lord, the next Vampire King, the next Alien Space Bat, I'd get to make specific people happy.  I'd get to do things for one person at a time, and that felt better."

"I guess I'm getting a sequel instead."

Grab one of the thaumic rifles, and one of the defensive rods.

Go head to one of the machine guns, and get it ready.  Use a (2hr duration) 1d8 Strengthen Enlarge spell to make it and it's bullets a bit larger than the one that attacked the siren was, about 35mm or so.  That one had a d6 strengthen enlarge spell on it.
Cast three more temporary support spells on it, all also 2hr duration.  A d6 Strengthen Speed Steel spell to increase the velocity of the bullets, a d8 Strengthen Steel spell to give the bullets hardened steel penetrators, and a d6 Strengthen Force spell to make the bullets hit even harder on contact.

Retry all failures.  Currently have 52 mana.

Ekrov, please heal the missing fingers with your Human, please.  Shouldn't be too hard.

(Should be more effective than the one was in the cavern.  Bigger enlarge spell, d8 compared to d6, the extra velocity spell has a steel word to specifically boost the now-steel bullets, and there's an extra Force spell making them hit even harder.)

Done.

[3+3v6] -6 mana.
[10v3] -3 mana
[9v2]-2 mana.
[3+3v6]-6 mana.
All spells in place.

The worms are 15minutes out (Thaum conversion of sy is assuming using whole 30 minutes) assuming they stay on current course. Still searching. Moving in inter weaving grid, almost helical in nature. Ekrov thinks that when they pass over this place two will be close to it while the third will be a ways out.

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
  • Thank you TamerVirus for the avatar switcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2281 on: February 04, 2020, 06:27:15 pm »

(How many torches?)
Continue to Kaolin, equipping warm clothes as it gets colder

Devastator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2282 on: February 06, 2020, 03:38:09 am »

Lets get the super autocannon mounted up on Benedict.  At the same time, cast two d4 Permanent Strengthen Steel spells to summon him up some front and back steel plates to help his armour.  Also, buff Ekrov's Endurance to d8, with a temporary Strengthen spell, and my own Speed to d10 with a temporary Strengthen Speed spell.  Aim for 1hr duration on both.

Then mount up and take to the air.  The workers are to hide in the ruins, and the guards are to get the other machine gun to help cover them from the ruin entrance, or follow Zavi's orders if Zavi wants to direct the defence in some way from the ground.

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
  • Morals? Ethics? Conscience? HA!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2283 on: February 07, 2020, 12:23:31 pm »

You ask around about bandits. They say that there are probably hidden camps, but that the largest concentration seems to come from the old city of Pinguious, to the south. Its half sunk, abandoned my the rightful citizens but now under the control of others.

Buy 10 new smokebombs, supplies for a couple days (cost?), then head in that direction. Scout out the area a bit first, and try to get a positive ID that they are indeed bandits/murderers/ne'er-do-wells. 

Einsteinian Roulette Wiki
Quote from: you know who you are
21:26   <XYZ>: I know nothing about this, but I have strong opinions about it.
Fucking hell, you guys are worse than the demons.

Lenglon

• Bay Watcher
  • Everyone cries, the question is what follows it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2284 on: February 07, 2020, 02:48:43 pm »

((Sorry about the long silence, RL got in the way of doing pretty much anything for the last month-ish.))
So the fish are acting like algae, and the fish-eating families, exactly one memeber per, as also acting like algae, and the algae itself is growing and collecting unusually. The distribution of one effected per household is very interesting. Either the target selection is intelligent and going for an even distribution, or the effect is location-based, and can only effect one person per location, prioritizing the first the eat the fish? more likely intelligent target selection... Adam found them boring, wondering if they get better, and he tends to amplify emotions apparently, so.... huh... It seems to be safe to enter the water... I'll remain cautious and try to look up possibilities in my materials without going in yet, but if I can't find anything then I'm willing to take a look-see in the water itself to see if maybe I can see any patterns or possible sources down there.
((I don't think heating something that is right above us to a ridiculous degree is very smart. Worst case scenario we become +metal statues+. This is a finely crafted metal statue. It is encrusted with sharkmist and HMRC. On the item is an image of HMRC and Pancaek. Pancaek is laughing. The HMRC is melting. The artwork relates to the encasing of the HMRC in metal by Pancaek during the Mission of Many People.))

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #2285 on: February 08, 2020, 11:32:23 am »

(How many torches?)
Continue to Kaolin, equipping warm clothes as it gets colder
Kaolin is a temple city, the place at the top of the world, closest to heaven, where the old departed gods are still worshiped. Endless temples of varying sizes crowd the mountain top, clinging to sheer cliffs or balancing on precipices, with the grand "Temple of all gods" sitting atop the peak. The rest of the city is almost entirely devoted to catering to the pilgrims who come here, offering places to stay, food to eat, and ritual materials for their worship. The adventurer -whose name you still don't know- steers you away from the sacrifice grounds on the east side of town and over towards the housing row, where inns and tenement houses are built in clustered and tightly packed rows.

He says there's three days till the rest of the party shows up and gives you a location to meet them at on that day.

Buy 10 new smokebombs, supplies for a couple days (cost?), then head in that direction. Scout out the area a bit first, and try to get a positive ID that they are indeed bandits/murderers/ne'er-do-wells. 

10 smoke bombs for....5 silver. Supplies for...1 gold.

You ride south of the Oasis, down towards the reported location of Pinguious, until you come across the flux shore. You follow it, knowing that the bandit town is apparently on a peninsula projecting out into the lake. The shore curves and heads north east. You begin to find sure signs of banditry; totems and signs with warnings and bodies meant to scare away anyone who would come close. They've dug in out there and don't want anyone coming to get them, so they've gone the intimidation route instead of maintaining secrecy. You ignore these and continue on under cover of darkness until you get a view of the city from a sand dune about a mile off. The city is clearly old and run down, but has been somewhat repaired in a ramshackle way and decorated in the garish, gaudy, and grim way bandits seem to love. You can see them, lit by firelight, carousing in the streets, drunk and rowdy. They seem to have slaves or maybe prisoners.

((Sorry about the long silence, RL got in the way of doing pretty much anything for the last month-ish.))
So the fish are acting like algae, and the fish-eating families, exactly one memeber per, as also acting like algae, and the algae itself is growing and collecting unusually. The distribution of one effected per household is very interesting. Either the target selection is intelligent and going for an even distribution, or the effect is location-based, and can only effect one person per location, prioritizing the first the eat the fish? more likely intelligent target selection... Adam found them boring, wondering if they get better, and he tends to amplify emotions apparently, so.... huh... It seems to be safe to enter the water... I'll remain cautious and try to look up possibilities in my materials without going in yet, but if I can't find anything then I'm willing to take a look-see in the water itself to see if maybe I can see any patterns or possible sources down there.

You look up what you've learned in your book and find the following.

Sungazer's Algae.
Unknown origin. Sungazer's Algae appears to be normal, aquatic algae but is actually the embryonic form of a pseudo parasitic creature known as sungazer. The normal life cycle of the sungazer is to be laid as "algae", eaten by fish, and then eaten by birds which carry the maturing parasite into the sky, its natural habitat, where it feeds on sunlight.  In order to expedite the process, the algae effects the minds of its hosts, causing them to become fearless and docile, as well as to move towards the surface of the water so that the can be more easily seen and caught.

Can unfortunately end up in human hosts, who will begin acting somewhat like the fish as they are not recognized as the intended avian hosts. Only one parasite will effect one fish, so often it is whoever is getting the first cut of the fish or whoever is preparing it that will be infected.

Recovery requires the effected individual to be elevated to a height at which the Sungazer will naturally leave their bodies, believing itself to be in the sky.

Lets get the super autocannon mounted up on Benedict.  At the same time, cast two d4 Permanent Strengthen Steel spells to summon him up some front and back steel plates to help his armour.  Also, buff Ekrov's Endurance to d8, with a temporary Strengthen spell, and my own Speed to d10 with a temporary Strengthen Speed spell.  Aim for 1hr duration on both.

Then mount up and take to the air.  The workers are to hide in the ruins, and the guards are to get the other machine gun to help cover them from the ruin entrance, or follow Zavi's orders if Zavi wants to direct the defence in some way from the ground.

I'm gonna save this until Sy and Egan post to handle it all at once since this is basically the last prep turn you guys have.   I did roll it out though.

Mounting went fine, spells were cast for total of 5 mana, buff was ok and cost 5 as well,  and your temp spells were a total 6. All went fine.

Lenglon

• Bay Watcher
  • Everyone cries, the question is what follows it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2286 on: February 08, 2020, 11:47:00 am »

Watchtower.
Inform the villagers that they need a tall watchtower or viewing platform, and to allow those infected to climb to the top of it to recover. also that any uninfected should avoid the super-easy-to-catch fish. If they can't build one big enough, the next best bet is to climb a mountain. the infected individual will recover in response to going high enough, and  these treatments are means to that end. heck, there's a chance a simple rope swing might be able to do a good enough job, and they could set one of those up real quick at the water's edge and let people swing on it and jump off into the water. Figure riding a rope swing would simulate being in flight pretty darn well.
((I don't think heating something that is right above us to a ridiculous degree is very smart. Worst case scenario we become +metal statues+. This is a finely crafted metal statue. It is encrusted with sharkmist and HMRC. On the item is an image of HMRC and Pancaek. Pancaek is laughing. The HMRC is melting. The artwork relates to the encasing of the HMRC in metal by Pancaek during the Mission of Many People.))

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2287 on: February 08, 2020, 11:55:08 am »

“Which deity are you helping? What are we doing?”

syvarris

• Bay Watcher
  • UNICORNPEGASUSKITTEN
    • View Profile
« Reply #2288 on: February 09, 2020, 05:08:46 am »

I'll melt just one of the chunks of magicoal.  Too many buffs needed to spend the whole turn on mana.  Give 20 mana to Saeko, and 20 EDIT: 33 mana to Zavi, for them to use as they feel necessary.  Saeko should buff Ekrov's endurance when he gives her mana.

If she does buff his end, detach the ammo from her machine gun, and then enchant the bullets with "Banish Clockwork", intended to detonate or disappear clockwork on impact, after firing.  If this is unreasonable, cast "antiClockwork" on them instead.

Next, scry with "Animate Clockwork" while sketching on a piece of paper to rapidly draw out detailed schematics of the internals of the incoming clockwork dragons, or the nearest one if the magic wants to focus on a single one.  Focus on finding and detailing the design of the clockwork brain, and/or the controls for whatever enables their flight; the primary purpose of this is to act as a focus for Ekrov's attack spell, not just because I want to steal their design.  Definitely do this on a piece of paper, and keep the spell active so that it can be used to judge the state of the clockwork dragon.

Said attack spell will only be cast if Ekrov successfully received an end buff.  He'll use "Animate Clockwork" as an offensive enchant on the leading clockwork dragon.  Specifically, use the force from "Animate" to jam, shift, or rip out small and integral gears in the brain, specifically focusing on finding ones that control the thing's flight; the goal is to make it lose control and just crash into the ground.  Repeat on further clockwork dragons if the spell proves successful.

...I should probably state that Ekrov will remain inside the ruins once the dragons are getting closer, unless he thinks the ruins will block his spells or something.  Worst case scenario, he stands right outside the entrance just long enough to cast, then retreats inside for cover.

Devastator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2289 on: February 12, 2020, 03:10:13 am »

(Defaults for Zavi.)

Take the 20 mana, stay on the ground.  Cast a weak temporary (d6) Lightning spell on the three flying up there, so they're a bit lightning resistant.  Cast a temporary d6 (Lightning Explosion) spell on the ground machine gun, to make the bullets explode in lightning balls when they hit stuff.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2020, 03:17:05 am by Devastator »

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • Perhaps I'll
    • View Profile
« Reply #2290 on: February 13, 2020, 12:36:23 am »

Have one of the large thaumic guns' platform modified so that it can fire upwards, like a flak cannon, and have it wheeled outside and put somewhere fairly concealed. d8 Endurance Lightning Explosion enchant it to temporarily modify its firing action to instead fire a lightning bolt which creates an explosion at its impact point powerful enough to destroy one of the enemy flying machine's sections. Repeat failure.
Once the closest two craft come overhead, shoot one and then shoot the other as quickly as possible.

Will need about 33 more mana to use this, as each shot consumes 10 mana.

Down at the bottom of the ocean. Beneath tons of brine which would crush you down. Not into broken and splintered flesh, but into thin soup. Into just more of the sea water. Where things live that aren't so different from you, but you will never live to touch them and they will never live to touch you.

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #2291 on: February 13, 2020, 01:47:43 pm »

Watchtower.
Inform the villagers that they need a tall watchtower or viewing platform, and to allow those infected to climb to the top of it to recover. also that any uninfected should avoid the super-easy-to-catch fish. If they can't build one big enough, the next best bet is to climb a mountain. the infected individual will recover in response to going high enough, and  these treatments are means to that end. heck, there's a chance a simple rope swing might be able to do a good enough job, and they could set one of those up real quick at the water's edge and let people swing on it and jump off into the water. Figure riding a rope swing would simulate being in flight pretty darn well.

You let the mayor know about the algae and the the cure. He thinks that the most simple method would just be to take them up the mountain, as it saves them having to build a watch tower. Or rope swing.  He asks you if there is a way to prevent the infected fish from spreading the parasite, since they're very easy to catch and have been a great boon to the town in recent weeks.

“Which deity are you helping? What are we doing?”

He explains that there have been reports of worshipers being spirited away by some unknown force to the south of here, in the ruins of Old Kaolin, were there are still ancient temples and altars that are sometimes used. They're supposed to go out and "Fix it" via whatever means are nessicary. Maybe violence, maybe agreement. The old gods of Earth, Sky, and Water have long since departed, leaving only Fire, but the smaller gods are still here. The local gods of mountains and streams and such, all gathering here in Kaolin. One of them is probably annoyed about something and snatching up folks in retaliation.

Have one of the large thaumic guns' platform modified so that it can fire upwards, like a flak cannon, and have it wheeled outside and put somewhere fairly concealed. d8 Endurance Lightning Explosion enchant it to temporarily modify its firing action to instead fire a lightning bolt which creates an explosion at its impact point powerful enough to destroy one of the enemy flying machine's sections. Repeat failure.
Once the closest two craft come overhead, shoot one and then shoot the other as quickly as possible.

Will need about 33 more mana to use this, as each shot consumes 10 mana.

The workers do as you ask, but warn that the modification was hasty. It likely won't survive many firings.
[6+2v8] [-8 mana] The enchantment takes, though just barely.

I'll melt just one of the chunks of magicoal.  Too many buffs needed to spend the whole turn on mana.  Give 20 mana to Saeko, and 20 EDIT: 33 mana to Zavi, for them to use as they feel necessary.  Saeko should buff Ekrov's endurance when he gives her mana.

If she does buff his end, detach the ammo from her machine gun, and then enchant the bullets with "Banish Clockwork", intended to detonate or disappear clockwork on impact, after firing.  If this is unreasonable, cast "antiClockwork" on them instead.

Next, scry with "Animate Clockwork" while sketching on a piece of paper to rapidly draw out detailed schematics of the internals of the incoming clockwork dragons, or the nearest one if the magic wants to focus on a single one.  Focus on finding and detailing the design of the clockwork brain, and/or the controls for whatever enables their flight; the primary purpose of this is to act as a focus for Ekrov's attack spell, not just because I want to steal their design.  Definitely do this on a piece of paper, and keep the spell active so that it can be used to judge the state of the clockwork dragon.

Said attack spell will only be cast if Ekrov successfully received an end buff.  He'll use "Animate Clockwork" as an offensive enchant on the leading clockwork dragon.  Specifically, use the force from "Animate" to jam, shift, or rip out small and integral gears in the brain, specifically focusing on finding ones that control the thing's flight; the goal is to make it lose control and just crash into the ground.  Repeat on further clockwork dragons if the spell proves successful.

...I should probably state that Ekrov will remain inside the ruins once the dragons are getting closer, unless he thinks the ruins will block his spells or something.  Worst case scenario, he stands right outside the entrance just long enough to cast, then retreats inside for cover.

Ok.  Yes buffed.
[3+2 v3] [-3 mana] Ammo enchanted (Temporary)
[3+5v10] Dang. [-10 mana] No joy on that scribbling.
Because you couldn't scry the location of a brain, I'll shift your spell to be weaker but more wide spread. Less a surgical death blow and more a overall crippling shot.
[7+2 v 3]

[2+2v3][-10 mana]
[9v4]
[8+1v1]

The group waits until the serpents are basically overhead before engaging. Zavi is first, firing a round from the hastily created thaumic artillery cannon.  An orb of red light the size of a basketball tears straight up and slams into one of the serpents  near the middle of its body. The resulting blast is not unlike that of a firework; a spray of hundreds of tiny bolts that lance out in all directions. Next is Ekrov, who waves a hand at the other dragon and bids its numerous gears and springs to revolt against their place in the mechanism, to run backwards, shatter, break free, and jam.  The effected dragon's elegant and slow curling suddenly lurches and seizes to a stop, replaced with a spasmodic and ineffectual slither.  Finally, Saeko makes it into the air and opens fire, putting bursts of high caliber rounds into the metal beasts. The mechanical creatures seem to try and break up, split into sections, severing useless pieces and carrying on as individual parts, but the damage is too wide spread and Saeko is able to pick off those pieces that are still limping along.

Ekrov is safe in the entrance to the ruin, and Saeko is safe in the air, but Zavi has to dive for cover under a large chuck of black stone as the broken remnants of the serpents rain down onto the sands.

The third serpent, the one that was quite distant from these two as they passed over the cam and is still several miles out, seems to turn. Nothing of it is visible but some distant lights...but it seems to be moving rapidly in this direction.

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2292 on: February 13, 2020, 02:54:49 pm »

"Alright, let's figure out who/what's taking people" Head south

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • Perhaps I'll
    • View Profile
« Reply #2293 on: February 13, 2020, 05:32:47 pm »

Relocate the gun, aiming to keep it hidden from the remaining flier as it approaches.

Down at the bottom of the ocean. Beneath tons of brine which would crush you down. Not into broken and splintered flesh, but into thin soup. Into just more of the sea water. Where things live that aren't so different from you, but you will never live to touch them and they will never live to touch you.

Devastator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2294 on: February 13, 2020, 08:05:18 pm »

"Alright, let's figure out who/what's taking people" Head south

Aww.  I was hoping to read some investigation or exploration of the temple city.. it's a place I've wanted to go to, but never have had the opportunity.  Probably be a couple years before getting there.

Plus wouldn't mind seeing the rumored demigod present there, too.
Pages: 1 ... 151 152 [153] 154 155 ... 203