Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 153 154 [155] 156 157 ... 203

Author Topic: Cabal: Wizard Open World Game  (Read 342674 times)

Devastator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Cabal: Wizard Open World Game
« Reply #2310 on: February 25, 2020, 10:50:29 pm »

Settle down and have Benny do any necessary cleanup.  When he's playing with the metal chunks of clockwork dragon, give him a hug.

Ask Ekrov if he'll convert my thaum into mana, and give it to me.  Convert more magicoal chunks into thaum the same way, and fill up until I have more than 200, if he's willing to cooperate.  Maximum held was over 300 once, and Saeko's already glowing, so it should be ok.

In the morning, brief the workers and say that after that attack, I need to check on the other nearby towns to see if they've been attacked, specifically natron, galena, and graves.  say that I'll be spending one day at each place, and should return at the end of the third day.

After that, mount up on Benedict, and take a barrel of magicoal, four days food, and if it isn't too hampering, the armour for him.  Only weapons I'll take are one of the sabres and one of the thaumic rifles.  Then, fly east to Natron.

Orders for the crew are to spend a day recovering more magicoal, and then the next two days exploring unexplored parts of the city.  I'm aiming for them to look further upwards, into the commercial and manufacturing areas of the city, instead of the utility areas we've been exploring so far.  If Ekrov wants them to do something else, go for it.

Leave them the sealer-suit gloves and sealer suit material, too, for safety.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: February 26, 2020, 10:52:40 pm by Devastator »

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
  • Morals? Ethics? Conscience? HA!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2311 on: February 27, 2020, 04:53:55 pm »

Pending response from dessertman: if we were to try and get arms ourselves, how would we go about that? Just adventure into the trashpile and see what comes up?

Spoiler: Darwin Zeppeli (click to show/hide)

Einsteinian Roulette Wiki
Quote from: you know who you are
21:26   <XYZ>: I know nothing about this, but I have strong opinions about it.
Fucking hell, you guys are worse than the demons.

syvarris

• Bay Watcher
  • UNICORNPEGASUSKITTEN
    • View Profile
« Reply #2312 on: February 28, 2020, 09:35:42 am »

Do the stuff Dev wants.  Converting thaum into mana, I guess.

Before Saeko leaves, go find two flat and blunt pieces of metal that are around phone hand size.  I want to make a permanent link between them, with a know-based "Animate" spell, which causes pressure against one (from a pencil, or finger, or whatever) to leave a visible mark on both pieces.  All marks can be removed by focusing or drawing a specific pattern or something, I don't know.  The idea is just to make a pair of devices that can communicate between each other at long distance, so that Ekrov and Saeko can remain in contact.

Throw in a triggerable vibrate function, as well.  That doesn't seem like something that can be justified as a know spell, so cast it afterward, and try to keep it down to a weak d4 effect.  Then give one of the phones communicators to Saeko.

Look over the crashed clockwork dragons, trying to stay back and be safe.  How recoverable do they look?  Is it conceivable one could be made flight-worthy again?  Are there any intact large scale brains?  Blow a clockwork scrying spell of whatever strength seems important, if that's necessary for a good answer.

Spend the rest of the day converting magicoal into thaum.

Spoiler: O.o (click to show/hide)

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #2313 on: February 28, 2020, 01:48:18 pm »

use Stone and Erode as Words for a spell to remove parts of the collapsed temple until a tunnel is cleared, then go into the temple
[4v6] Failure! [-6 mana] 3 mana remains.

Again or try something different?

Pending response from dessertman: if we were to try and get arms ourselves, how would we go about that? Just adventure into the trashpile and see what comes up?

There are a few ways but the easiest and cheapest would probably go out and hunt the trashpile, yeah. You could go hunt for bargains in the city, trying to buy your own for a cheaper cost as well, though they're likely to still be fairly expensive. Telcal reduced that army to scrap in a big way so finding full and functional pieces requires effort and digging, making them rare commodities. Admittedly you'll find them no cheaper anywhere else than here at the source, but still.

Settle down and have Benny do any necessary cleanup.  When he's playing with the metal chunks of clockwork dragon, give him a hug.

Ask Ekrov if he'll convert my thaum into mana, and give it to me.  Convert more magicoal chunks into thaum the same way, and fill up until I have more than 200, if he's willing to cooperate.  Maximum held was over 300 once, and Saeko's already glowing, so it should be ok.

In the morning, brief the workers and say that after that attack, I need to check on the other nearby towns to see if they've been attacked, specifically natron, galena, and graves.  say that I'll be spending one day at each place, and should return at the end of the third day.

After that, mount up on Benedict, and take a barrel of magicoal, four days food, and if it isn't too hampering, the armour for him.  Only weapons I'll take are one of the sabres and one of the thaumic rifles.  Then, fly east to Natron.

Orders for the crew are to spend a day recovering more magicoal, and then the next two days exploring unexplored parts of the city.  I'm aiming for them to look further upwards, into the commercial and manufacturing areas of the city, instead of the utility areas we've been exploring so far.  If Ekrov wants them to do something else, go for it.

Leave them the sealer-suit gloves and sealer suit material, too, for safety.

Sure. Though I'll actually say that draining mana from Benny is probably not a good idea. He's got some to spare but he's still heavily enchanted.

We'll see if sy does that. As per your max, its End Determined so you have a fairly good chance of holding a lot. Basically, I roll higher dice at different break points. 300 is in the d20 range so you probably rolled well and used it relatively quickly....You actually failed this time. Not by TOO much but you're going super saiyan over here, all glowing and electrical discharge and skin starting to get sunburnt from the inside out.  I'd use some of this mana quick.

Interesting that you're not gonna check Molybdaena. Oh well.

Natron is a smallish and rather isolated town on the main body of the River Hydra. There are no roads to it, it seems, with everyone moving up or down the river instead. There are large trees and green grass, though no sign of large scale agriculture. Instead the natives seem to live mostly on the river or from the bounty of the forest.  They also have a look to them that differs a bit from the normal citizens of the kingdom; their skin has a darker, almost greenish tone and their eyes are half lidded and almost universally green. To your surprise there are pieces of wreckage from the ruins even out here, albeit far smaller and less intact. Not much more than scattered monoliths of black stone embedded in the earth and overgrown in moss and plantlike.

You ask the locals about the dragons and they report that they did see lights to the west, but that they never came close enough to make out what they are. Some seem to believe they are creatures from old tales, Copper Serpents or something of the kind.

Do the stuff Dev wants.  Converting thaum into mana, I guess.

Before Saeko leaves, go find two flat and blunt pieces of metal that are around phone hand size.  I want to make a permanent link between them, with a know-based "Animate" spell, which causes pressure against one (from a pencil, or finger, or whatever) to leave a visible mark on both pieces.  All marks can be removed by focusing or drawing a specific pattern or something, I don't know.  The idea is just to make a pair of devices that can communicate between each other at long distance, so that Ekrov and Saeko can remain in contact.

Throw in a triggerable vibrate function, as well.  That doesn't seem like something that can be justified as a know spell, so cast it afterward, and try to keep it down to a weak d4 effect.  Then give one of the phones communicators to Saeko.

Look over the crashed clockwork dragons, trying to stay back and be safe.  How recoverable do they look?  Is it conceivable one could be made flight-worthy again?  Are there any intact large scale brains?  Blow a clockwork scrying spell of whatever strength seems important, if that's necessary for a good answer.

Spend the rest of the day converting magicoal into thaum.

Hmm interesting idea. Animate handles part of it...kind of. Gonna be hard to force that connection with it though, but might as well try.
[12+5v5] [-5 mana]
Well well, a good roll for you.  The magic...distance...notepad...phone...things are up and running!

Before the other stuff, you get [3] pieces of coal converted for [95] thaum. You're gonna need some more containers soon.

Now these dragons. They separated into pieces so we'll assume the crew helps you gather everything together so you can work on it effectively.  How recoverable any particular part looks varies. Obviously they're designed to be modular and work on their own or in conjunction with others. This means that for each piece to be downed required a certain amount of damage. Some is obvious: disconnected spring capsules leading to lack of power, or some similar large scale but easily rectified damage.  Others are overall damaged, destroyed by total system failure as opposed to singular fatal problem. Still others are basically crushed to uselessness, good only for spare parts. You have these three types separated into groups.

As for their "Brains" its quite interesting. They resemble the "brains" of a real worm; a sort of distributed intelligence. Each section of the worm is identical, save for pointed front and rear caps on the first and last pieces respectively. Same parts, same "sensors", same weapons, same flotation bladder, etc. Their "brains" could function individually or in sequence, with the combined functionality being a sum of its parts.  Individually they're quite simple; basically just able to distinguish targets and handle the actions of moving and attacking. Together they were likely "Smart"...or at least complex enough to do much more.

Getting any of the single malfunction group back up and running would be easy enough, maybe even just a few parts switched out. The things are basically nothing but a metal frame with sparse parts fit around the flotation bladder. Getting it in the air might require some more lifting gas...whatever it was...but it shouldn't be hard to give it lift. The difficulty is going to be making it not want to murder you. Gonna have to rework its little brain for that.

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
  • Thank you TamerVirus for the avatar switcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2314 on: February 28, 2020, 02:34:49 pm »

Try using Water, Erode and Channel to make a small river carve through gaps in the rocks

Devastator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2315 on: February 29, 2020, 12:46:12 am »

Lets get rid of some of the mana by doing four d6 charity spells.  Say using Steel related spells to summon tools, repair broken tools, etc, or using Expand to summon more food or construction material from a supply of such.  Ape-based healing spells are also okay.

Since things here aren't in a crisis, do some buying and selling.

For buying, offer up to four chunks of magicoal for a plot of land suitable for opening a small business here.
Also, offer up to four chunks of magicoal for local treasures.  Could be recovered ruins items that I haven't seen yet, could be other local treasures that people are willing to sell.
I'm also willing to buy trade goods, but only for smallish valuable items, don't want to slow Benedict down.

For selling, offer spells.  Here's some spells I'm willing to sell, and theoretical prices for them:

Healing, 5g/spell.  Usual limb-replacement or correction options via Ape word, similar to what I've done before.  Take notes for people with difficult or time-consuming problems that I can't handle in a hurry.. I'll try to revisit this town later at some point.

Spells below are 25g for d4, 50g for d6, or 100g for a d8 strength.  One spell per customer.

Summoned Pet,  Combinations with Bird, Ape, Strengthen Bird, Strengthen Ape, Ape Bird, etc.  Willing to mix in Ice if desired, but only d4 ice is available.

Enhancement,  Strengthen or Speed or Strengthen Speed spells cast to buff an individual.  All buffs may be offered either with immediate, or used with Grow and stretched out over a week of duration.  Point out ears to demonstrate both that this is real and possible side effects.  Cosmetic changes are ok, but don't use Grow to try and change someone's age.

Item summoning or enhancement.  Benny's armour would be extremely expensive, but was readily doable with mana.  Other people may want Steel items made similarly.  Offer both normal Steel items that should be repairable as normal, and Strengthen Steel items that are extra strong but may not be fixable with normal tools.  Summon whatever someone wants, be it tools, furniture, equipment, weapons, armour, etc.  Can also use it to enhance an item.

Item Enchanting.  Can put a buff or something on an item instead of a person, which might be a better method for some people to do it.  D6 force and D4 Ice and d8 View are available for this too, should someone want a spyglass or something.

Sell spells until I'm out of ready buyers or down to 150 mana remaining. (starting with 231).  If I'm done and over 150 mana, use 30 to boost my Speed to +2.  Then see if there is any demand for freight and passengers to Galena next morning, as that's a short trip and I won't need long to fly it, even if Benedict is carrying more for it.

Socalize a bit in the evening, buy some drinks and ask people about the colour green thing.  Then rest, camping out under Benedict's wing, simply to keep him from getting lonely and exploring alone.

Head out in the morning to Galena, taking any passengers and cargo I found.

« Last Edit: February 29, 2020, 02:07:50 am by Devastator »

Devastator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2316 on: February 29, 2020, 02:14:51 am »

Send Ekrov a message, too.

"Arrived safe."

"Natron is clear, wasn't attacked.  Has name for clockwork dragons, so they might have been seen before."

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
  • Morals? Ethics? Conscience? HA!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2317 on: March 03, 2020, 03:05:32 pm »

Let's be looter scooters!

Buy whatever digging/scavenging tools the locals tend to use that we don't already own and supplies for 2 weeks. See about hiring a guide/experienced scavenger to help us, go for a reliable one (we pay him/her a wage and will keep the loot oursevlves).

Then, set off, in search for fame and glory! And arms! Mostly arms!

Oh, and sell the leather skins in town, hopefully at a profit.

Einsteinian Roulette Wiki
Quote from: you know who you are
21:26   <XYZ>: I know nothing about this, but I have strong opinions about it.
Fucking hell, you guys are worse than the demons.

DreamWeaver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2318 on: March 03, 2020, 04:42:01 pm »

I've been eyeing up this game for a day or so. Seems pretty fun, hope no one minds a new fella coming to the table.

I'd just as easily leave where I start to GM discretion, but if I have to choose a location myself, I guess I'd say spawn in Regulus?

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
  • Thank you TamerVirus for the avatar switcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2319 on: March 03, 2020, 04:44:45 pm »

Welcome to the game, Estaban

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • technical difficulties
    • View Profile
« Reply #2320 on: March 03, 2020, 04:47:14 pm »

Another painter, huh? Those seem oddly popular here. ;P
Insatiable consumption. Ceaseless motion. Unstoppable destruction.

DreamWeaver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2321 on: March 03, 2020, 04:49:21 pm »

Another painter, huh? Those seem oddly popular here. ;P
And here I was thinking I was being original. Drat. I guess it's to be expected when "sculptor" is a character archetype. Thanks for the welcome either way!

Pancaek

• Bay Watcher
  • Real stupidity beats artificial intelligence
    • View Profile
« Reply #2322 on: March 03, 2020, 05:15:59 pm »

Follow Darwin like a big menacing pet velociraptor. Caw.
Also follow him into operation rooty-tooty-lets-go-looty.

Spoiler:  Écalir Speedwagon (click to show/hide)

syvarris

• Bay Watcher
  • UNICORNPEGASUSKITTEN
    • View Profile
« Reply #2323 on: March 03, 2020, 10:51:41 pm »

Code: (Texting with Saeko) [Select]
Good to hear.

Clockworks all probably very old.  Soldiers here same core as modern crash's.  Same source.
Dragon internals similar design too.  Not messing with before return.  Will discuss then.

Keep look out for ancient clockworks?  Would <3 another intact thinking brain.

First, gut one of the clockwork robot arms, and reconstruct it so that the actuators and whatnot are on the exterior, leaving space for a human arm to fit inside.  Casting a few light "clockwork" spells is acceptable to get this to work.

Then, use "animate" to enchant the clockwork arm to move with the arm of somebody wearing it.  Before, you stated that the only problematic part of creating clockwork powerarmor would be constructing a mechanism that allows it to detect movement of the user, and to match that perfectly.  The enchantment should simply serve as that detection mechanism--it won't provide the actual motive force that moves the arm, that should still come from the clockwork mechanisms, as they did in the original robots.  The spell should just make the armor match the wearer's movements.  Does this work out, or does Ekrov break his arm when he puts the thing on?

Next, Ekrov will take another look at those black control suits.  He's learned much more about thaumic machinery since last look, and he has the third eye now, so he'll try to understand the mechanisms by which they work.  Particular things I'm interested in is whether there's any chance of them causing damage to him if he dons a suit, and how they're powered; last time you mentioned that the systems only have enough power for a few minutes of activity, so it'd be nice to be able to refuel them.

Cast a know spell using any relevant materials, if that's reasonable to do.  Iron, maybe?  Or Animate?  Even Human?  I doubt any of those will work, but hey, scrying is cheap and easy.

Finally, continue melting magicoal.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • technical difficulties
    • View Profile
« Reply #2324 on: March 04, 2020, 07:26:42 am »

Seeing as we've opened up a whole lot of new sections since I last did, let's look for more words. Maybe a solution will present itself.

If I use Explosion to contain the force like a breaching charge, could I get through the King Door without nuking everything? Provided enough mana is supplied, of course. The idea would be to set up an enchanted frame or something which eats up a bunch of mana and then uses explosion to make a door while constraining the force from leaving the frame.

Spoiler: Zavi (click to show/hide)
Insatiable consumption. Ceaseless motion. Unstoppable destruction.
Pages: 1 ... 153 154 [155] 156 157 ... 203