Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 155 156 [157] 158 159 ... 203

Author Topic: Cabal: Wizard Open World Game  (Read 342773 times)

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
  • Morals? Ethics? Conscience? HA!
    • View Profile
Re: Cabal: Wizard Open World Game
« Reply #2340 on: March 10, 2020, 12:08:39 pm »

Support Ecalir. Use that short-lived D6 sharpen senses spell on him if needed. If not, try to use my gun to fire at the beast if I can do so without hitting birdboy.

Spoiler: Darwin Zeppeli (click to show/hide)

Einsteinian Roulette Wiki
Quote from: you know who you are
21:26   <XYZ>: I know nothing about this, but I have strong opinions about it.
Fucking hell, you guys are worse than the demons.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • what about full of shit? is that a meme too?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2341 on: March 10, 2020, 12:28:22 pm »

hey syv I stole 80 82 mana from you kthnxbye

Could you describe the use of [Grand Lodestone]?

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Is there anything in the material of the king door and surrounding walls which would keep us from reaching through with magic? Seems like otherwise we could get through pretty easy with [Banish] + [Human].

I'd like to do the same test but adding in [slow] to try to make it take more time to reject the enchantment.

Could a senses based spell make a fake key which fools the door into opening, or do illusions only work on things that have a mind?

Could I use [Slow] as a sort of limiter on my Channeler ability, letting me drain mana off of the large storage in safe chunks?
I'd do this by enchanting one of my bracers with an activated field which slows down the flow of mana through it, and then only use that arm to channel through.
It's fairly safe to absorb large amounts of mana if I immediately put it into stat upgrades, right?

I did all that ^ in IRC. I have a bracer which slows mana flow in a field around it. Time for some applied physics.

Go to the large storage room, dragging along Ekrov for safety. He can text or whatever, it's fine.
Leave anything enchanted I have besides the bracer with salt, and leave Salt far away.
Take it slow. If something feels really off, don't enter the room yet. Once I enter, wait an hour to acclimate and make sure it doesn't affect me.
It might give off enough energy that I don't need to touch it directly. First try channeling the air for an hour before I touch the pile directly. If that doesn't work, move a little closer and try again.
Spend only up to 5 hours in the room at a time. If I get nothing before then, leave and come back the next day, repeating all the same procedure.

Spoiler: Zavi (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: March 10, 2020, 02:45:39 pm by Egan_BW »
Insatiable consumption. Ceaseless motion. Unstoppable destruction.

DreamWeaver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2342 on: March 10, 2020, 11:25:49 pm »

Uh... yeah, okay, spirit, Esteban'll get you your medal. Actually, calling them "spirit" feels weird. He asks the spirit if they'd prefer to be known as anything. In the absence of an answer, he decides to call them Sarge. And now he plans.

First things first, it's best to start with what's in front of him. Being in a boom town such as this, Esteban looks into the local market, literal or otherwise, for quicksilver, opium and, perhaps, horses. He also looks into odd jobs within Regulus, whatever he can find to get the funds he will need. Along with purchasing these goods he needs, he will, after all, need to travel eventually -- both ways down the Hartshorn, first to Mount Phlogiston, then to the mountains in the north, where, with any luck, he'll find ice and simply craft his sculpture there. Speaking of which, he also also looks into transport options along the river, whether floating down it or traveling down along its bank. He'll probably hoof it, especially if he can find and purchase a horse to begin with, but it's good to know his options.

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #2343 on: March 12, 2020, 01:58:48 pm »

Light a torch and continue using my charm to find the spirit
Inside the temple you find what appears to be a sealed metal container, a jar with a lid depicting an eagle's head. The ghost charm leads directly to it. There is writing on its surface, but not in a language you understand.

Support Ecalir. Use that short-lived D6 sharpen senses spell on him if needed. If not, try to use my gun to fire at the beast if I can do so without hitting birdboy.

I wish to go kick the shit out of whatever is down there with Darwin.

If it's just below the hole Darwin fell through, dropkick onto it and stomp the life out of it with my taloned feet.

If it's not below the hole, jump down there anyway and karate kick it to death. Also with my taloned feet. Caw.

Spoiler:  Écalir Speedwagon (click to show/hide)
[7+2 v 1]
Eclair drops down through the ceiling and concentrates the entire weight of his enormous bulk into one birdy inazuma kick.  He lands dead center on the thing and with a screech of metal proceeds to finish what some unknown force in the long past started and crack the machine clean in half.  The individual halves squirm and spasm for a bit but then grind to a halt.

Uh... yeah, okay, spirit, Esteban'll get you your medal. Actually, calling them "spirit" feels weird. He asks the spirit if they'd prefer to be known as anything. In the absence of an answer, he decides to call them Sarge. And now he plans.

First things first, it's best to start with what's in front of him. Being in a boom town such as this, Esteban looks into the local market, literal or otherwise, for quicksilver, opium and, perhaps, horses. He also looks into odd jobs within Regulus, whatever he can find to get the funds he will need. Along with purchasing these goods he needs, he will, after all, need to travel eventually -- both ways down the Hartshorn, first to Mount Phlogiston, then to the mountains in the north, where, with any luck, he'll find ice and simply craft his sculpture there. Speaking of which, he also also looks into transport options along the river, whether floating down it or traveling down along its bank. He'll probably hoof it, especially if he can find and purchase a horse to begin with, but it's good to know his options.
The spirit, an upside down floating pyramid with a mouth on one side and eyes on all the others, says its name is [10,000 wasps singing the word GLORY]. Sarge is easier to pronounce.

Quicksilver, Opium and Horses are all available, though the horse and drug are fairly expensive. A horse is about 20 gold, a lb of opium about 90, and quicksilver only 2 gold for the amount you need.

In terms of jobs there are always odd jobs for unskilled laborers. Moving cargo, helping unload boats, cleaning streets, waiting tables, washing dishes, delivering messages, carrying garbage to the city limits, etc.  They all pay around 1 gold per day.  In terms of the pay for other jobs, that varies. Bounties are available, as are custom artistic work if you can do it, and other skilled labor that will pay more.

In terms of the cost of travel, several days worth of rations can be bought for a gold, for a single person a gold could buy about 4 days worth of rations and water. You could buy about a month's worth for 8 gold or there about. In terms of travel, you can take one of the ferries for anywhere between 3 silver and 2 gold, depending on if its down or upstream and the level of accommodations. Barges might also hire you on as temporary work, exchanging a few days work for free travel. On foot, of course, is free.

Going to try to do something for these people.
What I want to make is like a dip compass, which is essentially a compass that can swing vertically as well as horizontally.

I'll need several ingredients for this.  I want to see if I can buy bits of metal or metal samples of the stuff people look for around here, whatever metals they used to mine.

Keep enough for samples to add to my alchemy supplies, while using some of my Thaum and my alchemy kit to render the other bits of metal down to their base words.. ie, to render some copper plus some thaum to get a potion with (Copper).  Do this for the available metals, and use an Expand word and some of my gold, silver, and gemstones to get a potion for each of these too.  Try no more than twice if one metal should fail to render down into a spell.  Don't do one for Iron, as I already have Steel as a word which I can do instead.

Then summon, via Steel, some magnetized bits of steel to act as the core of various compasses.  Then use my metal word potions on the pointers to make them seek those metals.  Use a d6 Steel word to make the iron seeking compass.

Take the d10 Permanent word off my disassembled force rod, and cast d6 Permanent on the compasses to make sure the enchantment lasts.  Retry that one if failed.

With that, there should be enough for the base of dip compasses.  I'll just leave the pointers with the people, it'll probably take a bit of time to make dip compasses out of them.

Hopefully, these are powerful enough to be useful.  Add Strengthen spell(s) if they're too weak.

Anyway, the people of this town can have the compasses gratis, but I want an arrangement where I'd get a share of the profits should they find new resources and open a mine.  I'm not sure what a fair rate for this would be, but make sure to include a rider where if I provide capital, I can buy a bigger share in the resulting mine(s).

Do trade magicoal for land.  Some land up here would be suitable to put a remote outpost.. a few of the things we've recovered are dangerous, and we might end up developing some weapons, and having a very remote area for a test range would be useful.
Also see if I can get an abandoned house in town, and pay some gold to have someone refurbish it to make it habitable, including furniture and what not.

This will be because if we're building an outpost, I'll want to have an agent live there, and not having to live inside the weapon's testing range is a good thing.  Also be cheaper to buy it now if a mine ends up being developed, since I'd probably want an agent there to handle money and what not.

You buy some scraps for 1 gold

So lets say that for 30 thaum and 50 gold worth of the gemstones you get a good sized bottle of each of them.

That...eh we'll fix it with some magic but dumping [Gold] on the compass doesn't make it search gold. It makes the compass into gold. Whatever. 20 mana fixes it.

They take the offer but warn you it will likely not produce much for a while. There are few of them and the machines of the past aren't really working. They'll have to do things the hard way for a while.

You trade 1 piece of magicoal for a large abandoned building and a big track of open land down the side of the mountain. They don't really have any new furniture or anything on hand, but you give them another piece of magicoal and tell them to furnish your new home and to get your land ready for use.

hey syv I stole 80 82 mana from you kthnxbye

Could you describe the use of [Grand Lodestone]?

Is there anything in the material of the king door and surrounding walls which would keep us from reaching through with magic? Seems like otherwise we could get through pretty easy with [Banish] + [Human].

I'd like to do the same test but adding in [slow] to try to make it take more time to reject the enchantment.

Could a senses based spell make a fake key which fools the door into opening, or do illusions only work on things that have a mind?

Could I use [Slow] as a sort of limiter on my Channeler ability, letting me drain mana off of the large storage in safe chunks?
I'd do this by enchanting one of my bracers with an activated field which slows down the flow of mana through it, and then only use that arm to channel through.
It's fairly safe to absorb large amounts of mana if I immediately put it into stat upgrades, right?

I did all that ^ in IRC. I have a bracer which slows mana flow in a field around it. Time for some applied physics.

Go to the large storage room, dragging along Ekrov for safety. He can text or whatever, it's fine.
Leave anything enchanted I have besides the bracer with salt, and leave Salt far away.
Take it slow. If something feels really off, don't enter the room yet. Once I enter, wait an hour to acclimate and make sure it doesn't affect me.
It might give off enough energy that I don't need to touch it directly. First try channeling the air for an hour before I touch the pile directly. If that doesn't work, move a little closer and try again.
Spend only up to 5 hours in the room at a time. If I get nothing before then, leave and come back the next day, repeating all the same procedure.

When you enter the pile, it is indeed something to behold. It looks like a strange mix of half molten tar and condensed rainbows; a giant pile of ugly black crust containing a technicolor strobe of untapped magical power. Just being in the room makes your hair stand on end. It feels like holding onto a metal rod you've just swung into a rock, but across your whole body. The air itself feels thick and the pile is constantly radiating some sort of purple-pink haze.
[15+1 v 4]
You can indeed absorb the energy from mid-air. You just stand in that room and pull it in through your hand, focusing hard on not pulling it in accidentally through any other body part. Its hard to do, there's a magical pressure on you that wants to get in.

+147 Mana [6v2] No mana sickness yet.

You can only manage it for about an hour before you're pretty exhausted and have to leave.

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
  • Thank you TamerVirus for the avatar switcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2344 on: March 12, 2020, 02:15:45 pm »

“I would like to help you”
Pick up the jar
« Last Edit: March 14, 2020, 01:00:43 pm by Naturegirl1999 »

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • what about full of shit? is that a meme too?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2345 on: March 12, 2020, 05:49:01 pm »

Except, by the sounds of it on IRC that's not really what happened at all. 50 mana gained over 5 hours and that mana sickness roll didn't happen, seemingly due to the lower amount I actually gained.

Will to +2. See if I can get a cloak and enchant it with the same level of mana resistance as the bracer, but covering the rest of my body. Repeat failures.
That succeeded ^ 6+2 vs 4, -4 mana.

Go back to absorb more mana, repeating the same procedure.

Spoiler: procedure (click to show/hide)

Spend my remaining time painting. Something with raw emotion.

« Last Edit: March 12, 2020, 06:18:28 pm by Egan_BW »
Insatiable consumption. Ceaseless motion. Unstoppable destruction.

Lenglon

• Bay Watcher
  • Everyone cries, the question is what follows it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2346 on: March 12, 2020, 10:55:10 pm »

"I'm not sure. The goal is to trick the parasite into thinking it's in the sky, so that it will naturally leave the host. you might be able to do it if you take the fish up a mountain or something similar."
response

Spoiler: Nina (click to show/hide)
((I don't think heating something that is right above us to a ridiculous degree is very smart. Worst case scenario we become +metal statues+. This is a finely crafted metal statue. It is encrusted with sharkmist and HMRC. On the item is an image of HMRC and Pancaek. Pancaek is laughing. The HMRC is melting. The artwork relates to the encasing of the HMRC in metal by Pancaek during the Mission of Many People.))

Devastator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2347 on: March 13, 2020, 12:54:27 am »

With this sorted, fly to the next town, Graves, and repeat the process.  Find out the basics of the place, ask about the flying dragons, try to sell spells for cash, spread the word about the upcoming auction, attempt to sell magicoal for a local building suitable for a business, attempt to trade up to 4 magicoal for a local treasure.  Pass the night resting under the wing of my friendly flying seige engine, who is a happy kitty yes he is.  Finish it off by using a Strengthen spell to improve our relationship somewhat.. I'd like us both to be able to communicate mentally when in contact.

Spoiler: Saeko (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: March 13, 2020, 07:42:11 pm by Devastator »

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2348 on: March 13, 2020, 04:09:35 am »

Ask our guide to lower a rope so we can climb out. Take that thingie with us and check it out once we’re up. If enough is left for it, dissect it to see if there’s any words hiding in there.

Either way, stuff the remains in our inventory and move on towards more adventure!

Oh, and no mana for birdboy again?

Pancaek

• Bay Watcher
  • Real stupidity beats artificial intelligence
    • View Profile
« Reply #2349 on: March 14, 2020, 10:46:31 am »

Victory! Do I get any mana from this?

Get out of the hole with Darwin, then observe him dissecting it. Then follow him onwards toward more adventure.

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #2350 on: March 15, 2020, 08:33:00 pm »

“I would like to help you”
Pick up the jar
You pick up the jar. It is remarkably heavy.

"I'm not sure. The goal is to trick the parasite into thinking it's in the sky, so that it will naturally leave the host. you might be able to do it if you take the fish up a mountain or something similar."
response

Spoiler: Nina (click to show/hide)
So basically, the tower isn't high enough. You wanna guide them up a mountain or just give them that recommendation and let them deal with it?

Victory! Do I get any mana from this?

Get out of the hole with Darwin, then observe him dissecting it. Then follow him onwards toward more adventure.

Ask our guide to lower a rope so we can climb out. Take that thingie with us and check it out once we’re up. If enough is left for it, dissect it to see if there’s any words hiding in there.

Either way, stuff the remains in our inventory and move on towards more adventure!

Oh, and no mana for birdboy again?

Lets go with 11 mana.

[9+1] You find Deathly Light (Radiation)!

Now you can't put the thing in the inventory, its too massive. The ball is like 5 feet in diameter and each arm is several meters long when extended. Could cart it away or cut out pieces though.

With this sorted, fly to the next town, Graves, and repeat the process.  Find out the basics of the place, ask about the flying dragons, try to sell spells for cash, spread the word about the upcoming auction, attempt to sell magicoal for a local building suitable for a business, attempt to trade up to 4 magicoal for a local treasure.  Pass the night resting under the wing of my friendly flying seige engine, who is a happy kitty yes he is.  Finish it off by using a Strengthen spell to improve our relationship somewhat.. I'd like us both to be able to communicate mentally when in contact.

Graves doesn't seem like the other cities; doesn't seem to have descended from the remnants of the survivors of Gravid. Indeed its still a fairly functional mining town, albeit still small. No dragons noticed though. [4] The local seem interested in your magicoal but the general consensus seems to be that its likely a counterfeit. If you can prove its real, they seem likely to sell you land. In terms of spells, not sure what prices you want but again, you're not likely to break more than 5 gold per spell at best.

Isn't he already slightly psychic? He's a familiar after all, albeit very modified. He should be able to not speak, but can know what you want him to do instinctively. You can strengthen that connection but...beware that there could be feedback.

Except, by the sounds of it on IRC that's not really what happened at all. 50 mana gained over 5 hours and that mana sickness roll didn't happen, seemingly due to the lower amount I actually gained.

Will to +2. See if I can get a cloak and enchant it with the same level of mana resistance as the bracer, but covering the rest of my body. Repeat failures.
That succeeded ^ 6+2 vs 4, -4 mana.

Go back to absorb more mana, repeating the same procedure.

Spoiler: procedure (click to show/hide)

Spend my remaining time painting. Something with raw emotion.

Ok. [5v11] You attempt to suck in some more mana and almost immediately things go out of control. Luckily your wristband lets you quickly cut the flow and prevent disaster. Sadly the attempt and then rapid correction leave you exhausted.

[5+1]
You paint something akin to the Study after Velázquez's Portrait of Pope Innocent X but with what you imagine Telcal looks like instead. There are a lot of reds, yellows and grays.

Lenglon

• Bay Watcher
  • Everyone cries, the question is what follows it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2351 on: March 15, 2020, 09:37:58 pm »

I can't stay here forever, and we've found the solution for the people, as well as informed them of the key element so they can problem-solve how to handle the infested fish themselves. I should stay long enough for the first of the infected to be cured so we can be certain that it works, but after that I need to move along. They can attempt to capitalize on the infested fish in their own creative ways.

I'll go with their first group of infected people to make sure the cure works, and if they bring a batch of infested fish with them to see if they can use that for the fish as well that's fine, but my goal is the people, not the fish.
((I don't think heating something that is right above us to a ridiculous degree is very smart. Worst case scenario we become +metal statues+. This is a finely crafted metal statue. It is encrusted with sharkmist and HMRC. On the item is an image of HMRC and Pancaek. Pancaek is laughing. The HMRC is melting. The artwork relates to the encasing of the HMRC in metal by Pancaek during the Mission of Many People.))

Devastator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2352 on: March 16, 2020, 02:25:55 am »

Suggest putting the magicoal basically in escrow, so they can have a month to examine it however they like.  At the end of the month, they can either give me the land or return the piece of magicoal.  If they don't take that deal just drop it.

Do two spells for the five gold each.

Yeah, strengthen the connection.  But if they can already communicate, go with trying to make Saeko slightly psychic herself, and maybe improve the connection into the two of them each being able to tell where the other is located and communicate more complex ideas.  That's mostly as protection in case she needs to tell her seige engine that she's trapped inside a building and needs it, say, knocked down.

Or to not knock down the building.

« Last Edit: March 16, 2020, 03:05:18 am by Devastator »

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2353 on: March 16, 2020, 07:26:13 am »

Now you can't put the thing in the inventory, its too massive. The ball is like 5 feet in diameter and each arm is several meters long when extended. Could cart it away or cut out pieces though.

Could we not have Yvonne Best Donkey drag it over to the scavenger's base camp and pick it apart there?

If yes: do so, once there cut it apart carefully and keep any parts that could be useful for building them brobot arms. Sell the rest. Then, onwards to more adventure!

If no: cut it apart, keep the arm-related bits as well as the most valuable parts (up to what we can carry). Then head back, sell the non-arm bits,  then onwards to more adventure!

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
  • Thank you TamerVirus for the avatar switcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2354 on: March 16, 2020, 09:49:32 am »

Attempt to open the jar
Pages: 1 ... 155 156 [157] 158 159 ... 203