Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 156 157 [158] 159 160 ... 203

Author Topic: Cabal: Wizard Open World Game  (Read 341628 times)

DreamWeaver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Cabal: Wizard Open World Game
« Reply #2355 on: March 16, 2020, 04:08:36 pm »

That puts his current goal at 22 gold, he'll have better luck picking up the opium on the return trip. So be it, Esteban's commission slots are now open. But anyone who tries to ask payment in exposure gets put on The List. He seeks out custom artistic work, as it's likely to pay the best and make the best use of his artistic skills. He won't accept anything before he can get an agreement that he'll be paid in actual coin, though. Artists often must churn out easier work in order to scrape together the funding to create their masterpieces, anyway.

syvarris

• Bay Watcher
  • UNICORNPEGASUSKITTEN
    • View Profile
« Reply #2356 on: March 17, 2020, 08:37:52 am »

Go use the third eye on the king's door, to examine how its spell resistance thingy works.  Cast a spell to transmute a tiny portion of it into cloud, to see what happens with the antimagic effect when it's actively preventing a spell.  If the enchantment can be described in a visual way in-universe, write it down and sketch it.

Examine the internal working of a few different key stones with the third eye.  How do they work?  What are their enchantments?  Do they look different when opening their doors?  How about the doors themselves; can Ekrov see how the door enchantments work, and how they differ between door levels?  The goal of this is to see if it's possible to make a magical "lockpick" for the doors, or failing that, to learn enough about the keys to be able to scry for the King's key.  Oh, and again, sketch things if that's reasonable.

I'd be happy to spend mana on the above two, to gain more information, but I don't think an of my materials apply.  If they do apply, and wouldn't need a d12 or higher effect, go right ahead and scry for better info.

Cast a spell to scry what's on the other side of the king's door.  Use animate on a piece of paper, to make it sketch out what's on the other side.

Edit: removed worker orders, Dev's already doing stuff on that front.

Oh.  And melt more magicoal.  Again and always.

Spoiler: O.o (click to show/hide)

Pancaek

• Bay Watcher
  • Real stupidity beats artificial intelligence
    • View Profile
« Reply #2357 on: March 17, 2020, 11:33:18 am »

Give a victory CAW!

Then follow along with Darwin. Check to see if the arms from the defeated bot would make good prosthetics.

Spoiler:  Écalir Speedwagon (click to show/hide)

Devastator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2358 on: March 17, 2020, 02:20:54 pm »

"Retrieve Arms"

(Also, syv, I had a list of places they were to explore while Saeko was gone.  I'll be reposting that next turn along with the 'fly back to the ruins' orders, as that seems to be an appropriate turn to get a summary of what they found.)
« Last Edit: March 17, 2020, 02:44:10 pm by Devastator »

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #2359 on: March 18, 2020, 11:23:16 am »

Hey various players and lurkers, we're having a movie night over on my discord this saturday. Movies, cartoons, etc will be streaming for most of the day, so feel free to come hang out. Just bear in mind that apparently streaming only functions via the Discord application OR chrome; we've had people on other browsers unable to see it.  If you have suggestions for stuff you want to watch, feel free to leave them so I can set it up. 

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • Are you a duelist?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2360 on: March 18, 2020, 12:56:15 pm »

Go back to absorb more mana, repeating the same procedure.
Spoiler: procedure (click to show/hide)

Welp, do another painting. Have Ek look at them using his third eye.

Spoiler: Zavi (click to show/hide)

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #2361 on: March 18, 2020, 02:41:31 pm »

I can't stay here forever, and we've found the solution for the people, as well as informed them of the key element so they can problem-solve how to handle the infested fish themselves. I should stay long enough for the first of the infected to be cured so we can be certain that it works, but after that I need to move along. They can attempt to capitalize on the infested fish in their own creative ways.

I'll go with their first group of infected people to make sure the cure works, and if they bring a batch of infested fish with them to see if they can use that for the fish as well that's fine, but my goal is the people, not the fish.
The cure works on the people and seems to work on the fish. They vomit up something that looks like a slug with wings that immediately darts off like a humming bird and vanishes into the sky.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Attempt to open the jar
The jar appears to be sealed with silver solder or something like it, a clear ring of shiny metal that was melted and then allowed to cool, fusing the lid to the jar.  Just twisting and pulling produces no noticeable effect. So you decide to try and bash it open against one of the stones.
[1v2] This dents the jar up and warps the lid considerably but doesn't break it free. Maybe if you heated it? Or an ax might work. maybe a chisel? They seem to have been very intent of sealing this spirit in here for some reason.

That puts his current goal at 22 gold, he'll have better luck picking up the opium on the return trip. So be it, Esteban's commission slots are now open. But anyone who tries to ask payment in exposure gets put on The List. He seeks out custom artistic work, as it's likely to pay the best and make the best use of his artistic skills. He won't accept anything before he can get an agreement that he'll be paid in actual coin, though. Artists often must churn out easier work in order to scrape together the funding to create their masterpieces, anyway.
After some searching, you find what seems a good job. The employer is some merchant, apparently having fairly recently come into a fortune. He's flush with cash and self importance and looking to design either an emblem for his company or  a heraldic coat of arms for himself...his request seems to waver back and forth on this and isn't very clear. Whatever it is, he wants it designed and then sculpted and placed on a shield. He offers to pay for all supplies and will give 20 gold plus a bonus if he is suitably impressed.

Give a victory CAW!

Then follow along with Darwin. Check to see if the arms from the defeated bot would make good prosthetics.

Spoiler:  Écalir Speedwagon (click to show/hide)
Now you can't put the thing in the inventory, its too massive. The ball is like 5 feet in diameter and each arm is several meters long when extended. Could cart it away or cut out pieces though.

Could we not have Yvonne Best Donkey drag it over to the scavenger's base camp and pick it apart there?

If yes: do so, once there cut it apart carefully and keep any parts that could be useful for building them brobot arms. Sell the rest. Then, onwards to more adventure!

If no: cut it apart, keep the arm-related bits as well as the most valuable parts (up to what we can carry). Then head back, sell the non-arm bits,  then onwards to more adventure!

Spoiler: Darwin Zeppeli (click to show/hide)
Eclair believes that the limbs of this robot would make good, if not very humanoid, replacements for his own little limbs. They extend and retract and can grip stuff! Everything you want from a limb!

And yes, you can cart it back with Yvonne. We'll assume you do and then basically just cut off a few of the functional arms, selling the rest for 86 gold.

Back out to the same place?

Suggest putting the magicoal basically in escrow, so they can have a month to examine it however they like.  At the end of the month, they can either give me the land or return the piece of magicoal.  If they don't take that deal just drop it.

Do two spells for the five gold each.

Yeah, strengthen the connection.  But if they can already communicate, go with trying to make Saeko slightly psychic herself, and maybe improve the connection into the two of them each being able to tell where the other is located and communicate more complex ideas.  That's mostly as protection in case she needs to tell her seige engine that she's trapped inside a building and needs it, say, knocked down.

Or to not knock down the building.

Spoiler: Saeko (click to show/hide)
You give them the coal to examine and tell them you'll return in a month to see if they want to accept a deal.

-4 mana, +10 gold.

Hmmm. Looking at your words there are a couple ways to do it.  Could you tell me about how you intend to strengthen/create that psychic capacity? Like what word? Because it makes a difference in terms of how that turns own. If that makes sense.

Welp, do another painting. Have Ek look at them using his third eye.

50 more mana. As per a painting...You basically just scribble out an image of Salt throwing poo.

Go use the third eye on the king's door, to examine how its spell resistance thingy works.  Cast a spell to transmute a tiny portion of it into cloud, to see what happens with the antimagic effect when it's actively preventing a spell.  If the enchantment can be described in a visual way in-universe, write it down and sketch it.

Examine the internal working of a few different key stones with the third eye.  How do they work?  What are their enchantments?  Do they look different when opening their doors?  How about the doors themselves; can Ekrov see how the door enchantments work, and how they differ between door levels?  The goal of this is to see if it's possible to make a magical "lockpick" for the doors, or failing that, to learn enough about the keys to be able to scry for the King's key.  Oh, and again, sketch things if that's reasonable.

I'd be happy to spend mana on the above two, to gain more information, but I don't think an of my materials apply.  If they do apply, and wouldn't need a d12 or higher effect, go right ahead and scry for better info.

Cast a spell to scry what's on the other side of the king's door.  Use animate on a piece of paper, to make it sketch out what's on the other side.

Edit: removed worker orders, Dev's already doing stuff on that front.

Oh.  And melt more magicoal.  Again and always.

3 coal, 45 mana.

[3+5v16] Can't figure out how it works, but when you cast magic on it it looks like the material takes the mana into itself and then pushes it back out, preventing the spell from taking hold.

Basically, the keys seem to work like this: They've got a big complex of woven wires inside them, moving through various shapes and configurations, with the end and start of the wires all lined up against opposite edges of the stone. From what you can tell, it looks like the system takes a small mana charge input into one side and then "reads" the output and checks it against a preset solution. If the solution and output match, then the door opens.

Scry spell is deflected; it appears you cannot see within the sphere. At least not with your power.

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
  • Thank you TamerVirus for the avatar switcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2362 on: March 18, 2020, 03:04:21 pm »

Try bashing the jar open with my prybar. If that doesn’t work, shoot the jar with one of the arrows
« Last Edit: March 20, 2020, 06:02:02 pm by Naturegirl1999 »

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • Are you a duelist?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2363 on: March 18, 2020, 03:05:39 pm »

Will to +3.

Devastator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2364 on: March 18, 2020, 03:52:11 pm »

Devastator   Mostly just altering her already extant magical senses.
Devastator   If she doesn't have those, broadening her ability to mana drain to make it cover more possible interactions than just mana drains.
Devastator   it's not aiming to make another thing in her, just extend whatever capabilities exist with the goal of allowing for maybe some communication, maybe other senses.

Use a d6 Grow Strengthen spell to help develop whatever part of Saeko allows her to drain mana and examine the emotions of others, with a goal of extending those capabilities towards allowing for some level of mind-to-mind communication, mental examination, and better control and power for mana-drains and moving spirits.  Make this improvment occur over the estimated duration of the flight back to the Gravid Ruins camp, and do this in the morning before flying home, so it can be gauged by communicating with Benedict while en-route.

Head back to the ruins.  Lets see what the crews have gotten up to while I was gone.

Orders for the crew were to spend a day recovering more magicoal, and then the next two days exploring unexplored parts of the city.  I'm aiming for them to look further upwards, into the commercial and manufacturing areas of the city, instead of the utility areas we've been exploring so far.  If Ekrov wants them to do something else, go for it.

« Last Edit: March 19, 2020, 06:31:36 am by Devastator »

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
  • Morals? Ethics? Conscience? HA!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2365 on: March 18, 2020, 05:45:55 pm »

Eclair believes that the limbs of this robot would make good, if not very humanoid, replacements for his own little limbs. They extend and retract and can grip stuff! Everything you want from a limb!
Birdman response pending..Seems Birdman is ok with these, assuming they don't interfere with using various items and such. Install 'em!

Nah, we'll be moving on to that third artifact part apparently. It was somewhere in the desert? How much to teleport there? Or is walking there a reasonable prospect?

Oh, and pay that one guy I guess, how much?

« Last Edit: March 19, 2020, 12:32:31 pm by Radio Controlled »

Einsteinian Roulette Wiki
Quote from: you know who you are
21:26   <XYZ>: I know nothing about this, but I have strong opinions about it.
Fucking hell, you guys are worse than the demons.

syvarris

• Bay Watcher
  • UNICORNPEGASUSKITTEN
    • View Profile
« Reply #2366 on: March 20, 2020, 03:00:21 pm »

Eat forty thaum, putting Ekrov up to 65 mana.  (Already done)

Dev suggested using the gold inlay tool to lay a square of gold over the wall of the king's chamber, in hopes that it would mess with the antimagic enchantment, possibly enough to allow scrying through the interruption created by the gold.  I don't really understand the logic behind this, but Ekrov has spent a bunch of time studying thaumics, so I presume he'd have an idea of whether that's bogus or not.  Try it if it's not obviously going to fail.

Summon a lock of human hair--that isn't Ekrov's, or from any of the workers, I want a neutral piece of human matter--and then try to banish it ("Banish Human") inside the king's chamber.  Specifically, just onto the other side of the king's door.  Then try to reverse-banish the same lock of hair back to this side.  Observe what happens with thirdeye vision.

Does Ekrov understand how the outputs of keys change, after they go through the shapes inlaid within the sphere keys?  And do all the levels of keys he has posses the same number of output wires?  If he understands the keys well enough, and they're similar enough to each other that one could just change the internal mechanisms to make one key into a different type of key, I want to try and make a kind of thaumic lockpick.  Use magic to summon or hack together (slowly, piece by piece) a clockwork machine that messes with the wire structures, or possibly just switches wires, as a way to replicate the patterns made by the output wires.  Ideally, the machine should be able to fake being a "key" with any of the possible outputs to inlay within one of the thaumic keys.  If this is actually possible, confirm the machine works by opening some soldier and laborer doors.

If the above actually works, use know along with the machine and "clockwork" to cast a spell that predicts the correct combination for the king's door.  Don't try the combination yet.

Try to enchant a gear or something to be a beacon for a banish spell, so that if I banish something, I can target the gear specifically ("Banish Clockwork").  Have a worker go hide the gear somewhere, then banish a specific piece of clockwork to that gear.  Check if the clockwork piece did actually get banished to the correct location.

Then try the reverse; enchant a large flat gear to be a beacon for a reverse banish, targeting whatever is on top of it  (Again, "Banish Clockwork").  Have a worker grab some random clockwork object that Ekrov doesn't know about and put it on the gear.  Ekrov will try to reverse-banish the object back to him, despite the fact that he doesn't know what it is beyond it being clockwork.

And melt more magicoal.

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #2367 on: March 22, 2020, 02:32:12 pm »

Try bashing the jar open with my prybar. If that doesn’t work, shoot the jar with one of the arrows
3v2

You use your prybar and tear the lid off the pot. Black ooze starts gushing from the pot in a staggering amount, far more than should be able to be held within it.

Will to +3.

[3+3 v7]
[7+3v18]

You mess up a bit at first and try to go back for a second attempt, but fail even worse this time. You manage to stem the flow but your bracelet grows hot and a crack appears  along its length.

Birdman response pending..Seems Birdman is ok with these, assuming they don't interfere with using various items and such. Install 'em!

Nah, we'll be moving on to that third artifact part apparently. It was somewhere in the desert? How much to teleport there? Or is walking there a reasonable prospect?

Oh, and pay that one guy I guess, how much?

We'll put the whole cost at 120 gold for operation and payment.

Eclair's new limbs are successfully installed. The surgeons have a bit of a time figuring out how his mutated body works, but they get it all connected up and his new bionic...snakey...accordian...pincer...limb things work fine! It does look a little like he's being twin chestbursted by giant robot worms but hey, whatever, he's already a Terror bird so its not like subtly was his strong suit. It will let him hold his sword. Hell, it will let him stab from 25 feet away and around corners.

Last time you checked, yes it was in the desert. However, when you check NOW it isn't in the same place. Its moving again, north west this time you think. [8v4] That heist of the second piece must have tipped off the owners and they're making a run for it.  Whatever this thing is, they really want to keep it in pieces. Which means its likely really neat.

You think you can teleport to roughly where it is, though it would be somewhat costly. You could pursue on foot...this guy can't run forever and you might be able to break into where he puts it...but it might also be far easier to just take him now, when he's not in his fortress of solitude or whatever. [5v3] You think that, judging by the speed it seems to be moving, you could catch up if you rode Eclair. He's pretty fast in birdy form after all.

Devastator   Mostly just altering her already extant magical senses.
Devastator   If she doesn't have those, broadening her ability to mana drain to make it cover more possible interactions than just mana drains.
Devastator   it's not aiming to make another thing in her, just extend whatever capabilities exist with the goal of allowing for maybe some communication, maybe other senses.

Use a d6 Grow Strengthen spell to help develop whatever part of Saeko allows her to drain mana and examine the emotions of others, with a goal of extending those capabilities towards allowing for some level of mind-to-mind communication, mental examination, and better control and power for mana-drains and moving spirits.  Make this improvment occur over the estimated duration of the flight back to the Gravid Ruins camp, and do this in the morning before flying home, so it can be gauged by communicating with Benedict while en-route.

Head back to the ruins.  Lets see what the crews have gotten up to while I was gone.

Orders for the crew were to spend a day recovering more magicoal, and then the next two days exploring unexplored parts of the city.  I'm aiming for them to look further upwards, into the commercial and manufacturing areas of the city, instead of the utility areas we've been exploring so far.  If Ekrov wants them to do something else, go for it.

[1+3v6] Well that went as bad as physically possible. -6 mana.  Lets try again.
[5+3v6] Another -6 mana, but it works this time.

You increase your empathic a little bit permanently.  You're not seeing auras and hearing thoughts or anything, but you feel a little more sensitive. You can kind of intuit  Benedict's feelings, and the feelings of others, better. However, you also feel something else. A sort of...atmosphere of emotion. Kind of like how you can walk into a room of people all feeling the same way and "feel" that in the room.  For normal people thats just them noticing the emotions of others and being influenced unconsciously by them, but for you...you can feel it like humidity in the air.

The crew has basically been on standby since that dragon incident. No one gave them orders so they've been exploring a bit and working to catalog the rest of the areas opened by the last key they found, but thats about it. There's been no huge discoveries.

We'll assume you order them to start exploring the other sections too, especially the badly damaged upper sections.

They discover what they believe is the remains of the palace for the king of Gravid, however the section is badly buried in the sands. There are emblems here that look like the emblem of the Nobles but more complex.  They think the structure might be fairly intact, but its so sunken in sand that getting into it is gonna be a problem.

Eat forty thaum, putting Ekrov up to 65 mana.  (Already done)

Dev suggested using the gold inlay tool to lay a square of gold over the wall of the king's chamber, in hopes that it would mess with the antimagic enchantment, possibly enough to allow scrying through the interruption created by the gold.  I don't really understand the logic behind this, but Ekrov has spent a bunch of time studying thaumics, so I presume he'd have an idea of whether that's bogus or not.  Try it if it's not obviously going to fail.

Summon a lock of human hair--that isn't Ekrov's, or from any of the workers, I want a neutral piece of human matter--and then try to banish it ("Banish Human") inside the king's chamber.  Specifically, just onto the other side of the king's door.  Then try to reverse-banish the same lock of hair back to this side.  Observe what happens with thirdeye vision.

Does Ekrov understand how the outputs of keys change, after they go through the shapes inlaid within the sphere keys?  And do all the levels of keys he has posses the same number of output wires?  If he understands the keys well enough, and they're similar enough to each other that one could just change the internal mechanisms to make one key into a different type of key, I want to try and make a kind of thaumic lockpick.  Use magic to summon or hack together (slowly, piece by piece) a clockwork machine that messes with the wire structures, or possibly just switches wires, as a way to replicate the patterns made by the output wires.  Ideally, the machine should be able to fake being a "key" with any of the possible outputs to inlay within one of the thaumic keys.  If this is actually possible, confirm the machine works by opening some soldier and laborer doors.

If the above actually works, use know along with the machine and "clockwork" to cast a spell that predicts the correct combination for the king's door.  Don't try the combination yet.

Try to enchant a gear or something to be a beacon for a banish spell, so that if I banish something, I can target the gear specifically ("Banish Clockwork").  Have a worker go hide the gear somewhere, then banish a specific piece of clockwork to that gear.  Check if the clockwork piece did actually get banished to the correct location.

Then try the reverse; enchant a large flat gear to be a beacon for a reverse banish, targeting whatever is on top of it  (Again, "Banish Clockwork").  Have a worker grab some random clockwork object that Ekrov doesn't know about and put it on the gear.  Ekrov will try to reverse-banish the object back to him, despite the fact that he doesn't know what it is beyond it being clockwork.

And melt more magicoal.

[12+5v4]

The best way to think of this is imagine the chamber is a foot thick wall of rubber and magic is electricity. If you stick the gold on there, it would let you put magic into that gold, but it wouldn't flow down into the chamber itself. You'd need to put a gold rod straight through the wall in order to get magic into the chamber.

[-8 mana] The hair basically ends up against the outer wall of the chamber, unable to penetrate within.

Somewhat, at least in a theoretical sense. Exact mechanics per key, no. Have to break them open and examine them for that.  Its kind of like how you can understand how a normal lock works but you can't know the exact configuration of the pins without opening it up. You could attempt a "Lock pick" style probe of a key by carefully pushing mana through it though, to get an idea of how it functions. 

You check the keys and the recesses the are placed into. It seems like higher level keys have more wires, but the receivers are all the same. It looks as though the higher level keys have multiple wires on one receiver wire. As per your Skeleton Key, the mechanical side of effectively cycling wires around and such is something you think you could make, but in terms of the internal modification process you don't know enough about it to replicate it.  Imagine it like this.

Code: [Select]
Input-------[Process]-------Output
This is the basic idea of the key. That [Process] is whatever the internal thaumic mechanism is doing to change the input mana. Maybe its something like this

Input-------[Heat]-------------Output
Input-------[Electricity]------Output
Input-------[Wind]-------------Output
Input-------[Gravity]----------Output

So what your skeleton key would basically be doing is switching those processes around, changing the order and duplicating the processes until it works out. Theoretically this is the sort of thing you can either build automated or do it by hand. HOWEVER, the issue is that your actual understanding is this:

Input-------[???????]-------Output

and the king key could be seen as somethign like this

Input-------[???????]\
     \------[???????]-------Output
     \------[???????]/     /
Input-------[???????]\---/
     \------[???????]/ 
Input-------[???????]-------Dead end
     \------[???????]/

So there are some issues with trying to guess all those processes and their combined outputs and such.

[-10 mana] This gear thing works, though gets harder the further away it is AND if you don't specifically know where it is.

That last one....ok it can work but its VERY expensive. Having more complete info about what it is, where it is, etc drastically reduces cost.

1 coal, 21 mana.

Devastator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2368 on: March 22, 2020, 08:34:14 pm »

Try to scry for the key in a simple way to begin with.  Get a bowl of water, and stand in front of the king door and cast Strenghten View, with an intent on summoning a view of the key's location to the surface of the water.  Max die size is d8, from the View word.

Cast any desired Strengthen, or View spells or such on any maps Ekrov makes, should that first idea not work to find the key.

Get Benedict to try and dig down to the palace entrance.  The rest of the crew can help direct him with this, move stuff, etcetera.

Personally, I want to make something to break into the king room if we can't find the key.  Ekrov suggested using his clockwork cutting machine, so use a d10 Steel Strengthen spell to dramatically improve it's capabilities to cut through stuff.  Then use it to try and cut through the wall of the core room.  Retry this one if it fails.

Spoiler: Saeko Hirahara (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: March 25, 2020, 02:44:56 am by Devastator »

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
  • Thank you TamerVirus for the avatar switcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2369 on: March 22, 2020, 10:11:55 pm »

Attempt to pick up the goo
Pages: 1 ... 156 157 [158] 159 160 ... 203