Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 173 174 [175] 176 177 ... 203

Author Topic: Cabal: Wizard Open World Game  (Read 342672 times)

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
  • Morals? Ethics? Conscience? HA!
    • View Profile
Re: Cabal: Wizard Open World Game
« Reply #2610 on: June 03, 2020, 03:41:42 pm »

It was magically enchanted to point to those parts in particular. You could enchant it to point to anything else, but it would be a new spell.
How did Alizarin describe it look like again? Since I guess it also has to do with nature, perhaps Ecalir's wood word would be an option?

You return to the city, carrying the staff in the open. The great creatures of the forest respond differently, some with deference, others with annoyance about not being able to eat you. But they leave you be regardless. The question is, do you want to return into the city itself with the dominion? Your appearance is hint of your blessing enough that some might recognize it among the priests there, but that staff is a dead giveaway. There are statues with it in the city.

Hmm, let's keep on the down low for now. Return staff to its cover, cover arms and such. Just buy some supplies, then on our way again! Towards the pillars of lead!

Einsteinian Roulette Wiki
Quote from: you know who you are
21:26   <XYZ>: I know nothing about this, but I have strong opinions about it.
Fucking hell, you guys are worse than the demons.

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #2611 on: June 04, 2020, 01:51:17 pm »

I'd intended to handle the crystals one at a time, and to give Nina a +1 in each stat by the time she's done by taking breaks in between each crystal. instead of shunting off 42 mana, could she have mid-process used 30 of it to raise her other stats to +1 as well and only shunted off 12 of it from the final crystal drain over to Adam?

remain for a couple nights to make sure that the problem is actually handled and that the crystals don't instantly refill as well as verify that I properly identified the problem. Additionally make sure the village has a record with the leader that tells them the crystals protect against interference from spirits, and will eventually require maintenance from a Magebreaker or other Channeler, but that they SHOULD be good for decades.

I've never had this much mana before. What's it feel like?

Spoiler: Nina (click to show/hide)
We can assume that, sure.  I just didn't want to do 12 turns in a row of "You get x mana" because I figured that would be rather boring.

You remain for a few nights, draining an additional 10 mana in that time, but things feel pretty stable. You let everyone know the cause of the problem and the way to fix it, telling them to get in contact if this should ever happen again.

You feel very energetic and physically well.

I'll take the mission to the East.

Spoiler: ... (click to show/hide)
They're loading up an air ship for this, so grab any supplies you want to bring and head up to the roof. The plan is to fly over to the border past a bit, then make camp and push further in until they get an eye on anything.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Check for any spirits, maybe some may know what happened
Your spirit compass spins about erratically, as though broken. Or picking up more signals than it can handle.

Quickly leave and head to the nearest tavern to play a card game for money
[7v2]
You get into a card game with a couple of well off looking men, betting your dagger against their money. You come away with 10 gold and even keep your dagger. The grumble and refuse to keep playing, but they don't get mad enough to do anything more.

It was magically enchanted to point to those parts in particular. You could enchant it to point to anything else, but it would be a new spell.
How did Alizarin describe it look like again? Since I guess it also has to do with nature, perhaps Ecalir's wood word would be an option?

You return to the city, carrying the staff in the open. The great creatures of the forest respond differently, some with deference, others with annoyance about not being able to eat you. But they leave you be regardless. The question is, do you want to return into the city itself with the dominion? Your appearance is hint of your blessing enough that some might recognize it among the priests there, but that staff is a dead giveaway. There are statues with it in the city.

Hmm, let's keep on the down low for now. Return staff to its cover, cover arms and such. Just buy some supplies, then on our way again! Towards the pillars of lead!

So we'll assume you get supplies for the trek for 15 gold. You need less food now that you're a plant, though you still need some water and a bit to nibble here and there.

Got multiple paths out towards the pillars. Here let me map it out.  This is somewhat important since you're basically crossing the entire map, diagonally, on foot.  There's a lot you could run into, including other players.

Complete the powered armor exoskeleton.  Really, the last piece is just attaching the steel plating that Saeko summoned, layering it over the anti-magic silver lining.  It's supposed to be powered armor, to lift the heavy plating.

As Dev mentioned for me, I want to retroactively include one of the fully assembled Gravid robots in the auction.  500 gold minimum bid, and it comes with the offer of enchanting it to have a new, customized command system, whatever the buyer requests.

Also as Dev mentioned, buy sculpture mats.  They are:
1. A book (just get something small and cheap)
2. Honey
3. Skin containing an old scar  (As Dev suggested, buy some off a tanner, they've probably got some worthless bits that they'd be happy to sell for a gold coin.)
4. Something of perfect roundness (Don't go buying specialty things for this.  If there's someone selling ridiculously good marbles, that's perfect, but don't go hunting down some dude with the Eldest Orb of Platonic Ideation or whatever.)
5. Something that came from beyond the skies  (Meteoric iron.  Ask around if anyone's selling this specifically, should only need a bit, and I figure there's probably some silly trinkets using a bit.  Don't buy stuff if there's no way to prove its origin.  Use a kno-based iron scrying spell to find some, if just asking around doesn't work.  Maybe some peasant has a spoon with a little bit of meteoric iron in it.)

Aaaaand finally, use know to go ask around for another source of invoker words, with the specific goal of finding "cat", or "feline".  Or just look directly for the word if that would work better, I guess?  I could see "feline" appearing in a city, since cities tend to have a lot of such things.

Spoiler: creepy oracle kid (click to show/hide)
[5+5v4]
Done. Fully armored.

Lets see...594 is what it sells for. They don't seem to want the enchantment though.

1. Ok
2. Ok
3. Done. 1 gold.
4. You get a large metal ball bearing imported from Fearce. 3 gold.
5. [3v1] you get an iron meteor fragment from an oddities dealer.

Would you prefer to simply pay to get the word? Its possible,though expensive. Alternatively, you can just get some clues.

Lets get a description of the jewelry recovered from the palace.  I'll probably keep it.

Today sell the looted art objects.  There are twelve of them from the core hideout and a noble mansion.  There are also an indeterminate number of extra ones removed from clearing the palace.

Looking for a minimum of 100 gold each.

Second is the magicoal.  Selling two barrels, each with 3d20+10 pieces each.  Looking to raise a minimum of 6000 gold for the total.

Large necklaces and rings mostly. Lots of blue gems, motifs of clouds, wind, birds, etc. Mostly gold, a bit of silver here and there. There's a simple, stylized look to them. Lots of swirling patterns.

Only 3 sell, for 327 total.

Coal sells for 6300.

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
  • Thank you TamerVirus for the avatar switcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2612 on: June 04, 2020, 01:54:02 pm »

Pick one of the signals at random and head towards it/them

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
  • Morals? Ethics? Conscience? HA!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2613 on: June 04, 2020, 02:35:44 pm »

Light blue, to red, to orange please.

Also, look into our library and maybe ask around a bit to try and figure out which goddess was the one residing in the pillars of lead. What was she like, what aspects did she govern, what things did she like, how did that place become the wasteland it is now?

« Last Edit: June 05, 2020, 10:59:02 am by Radio Controlled »

Einsteinian Roulette Wiki
Quote from: you know who you are
21:26   <XYZ>: I know nothing about this, but I have strong opinions about it.
Fucking hell, you guys are worse than the demons.

Lenglon

• Bay Watcher
  • Everyone cries, the question is what follows it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2614 on: June 04, 2020, 03:28:41 pm »

That's awesome, I think I'll stay like this for a while if it makes me feel like this.
Does Adam have any input on this situation? I don't know if being this full of mana is going to have side-effects like make me shine like a beacon to spirits or anything like that.
Head on to the next village along my route. I believe I'm leaving Wismuth and heading to Terebinth next, with the plan being to follow the river north after that.

Spoiler: Nina (click to show/hide)
((I don't think heating something that is right above us to a ridiculous degree is very smart. Worst case scenario we become +metal statues+. This is a finely crafted metal statue. It is encrusted with sharkmist and HMRC. On the item is an image of HMRC and Pancaek. Pancaek is laughing. The HMRC is melting. The artwork relates to the encasing of the HMRC in metal by Pancaek during the Mission of Many People.))

Devastator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2615 on: June 04, 2020, 07:30:35 pm »

Time to class-change to fighter.

Bank most of the gold for safety. (Say, 7000 gold.)

Spend a few days converting magicoal to thaum, and, through Ekrov, get mana from it.  Each chunk contains 3d20 mana, so convert enough for..

Str and Speed to +3. (160 mana)
Kno to +3 (50 mana)
at least 100 mana in storage. (currently at 34)

Then, with Ekrov nearby, and in the privacy of my hotel room, remove my clothing and cast the following spells:

d12 Strengthen on self to increase strength.  Risk mutation, retry if failed, even if critfailed, barring property damage.  Yes, even something like growing an exoskeleton means continue.

d8 Strengthen Permanent Grow Bird, aiming to do two things simultaneously.  Trying to gain wings similar to those I had temporarily in the Ruins of Gravid, and to become larger, as more size is more strength and endurance.  It should be enough for flight given the two lightness enchants.

If no mutations are suffered, cast a Permanent Strengthen spell on hearing, this time aiming to be able to hear like during the eclipse.  Hear people walking around in a building across the street, hear conversations being held by people blocks away, etcetera.

« Last Edit: June 05, 2020, 02:53:52 am by Devastator »

syvarris

• Bay Watcher
  • UNICORNPEGASUSKITTEN
    • View Profile
« Reply #2616 on: June 04, 2020, 08:53:22 pm »

Talk to the buyer of the robot a bit, I'm curious why they want it if they don't want to change its brain away from "murderbot".  Do make sure they're aware it might be extremely dangerous if it's turned on--and if they say they don't intend to turn it on, ask about keeping the thing's mainspring.  Not much reason to keep the frag grenade of a power source if it's never gonna be used.  Don't be pushy about this, they bought the bot and it's battery, so they can do as they like with them... but I do want to know if Ekrov can pick up any hints that the buyer has unpleasant plans for the robot.

Craft the sculpture, using:
--Ash from the ruins of Gravid.
--Small, cheap book.
--Honey
--Piece of scarred scrap skin from a tanner.
--A large metal ball bearing imported from Fearce.
--An iron meteor fragment

Aaand finally assist Saeko with the stuff she's doing.  Help with the thauming process, and start learning Japanese from her while doing that.  Be blindfolded when she gets nude for the transformation, Ekrov can use his third eye to tell what's going on without breaking her privacy quite as much.

From IRC:
--Price for d6 Feline is 275 gold.  Money already subtracted.
--The clue for another feline word is "there is a jade statue out in the desert near Balneum Mariae of a giant feline that is supposed to have the word for feline carved on it. Supposed to be north somewhere of the oasis"

Spoiler: creepy oracle kid (click to show/hide)

Devastator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2617 on: June 04, 2020, 09:39:35 pm »

"Thanks for finding that word for me, Ekrov.  So you paid someone to look for it?"

syvarris

• Bay Watcher
  • UNICORNPEGASUSKITTEN
    • View Profile
« Reply #2618 on: June 04, 2020, 09:47:51 pm »

"Ah, yes, in a way.  I hadn't initially set out to hire anyone, but while I was asking questions I was directed to a shady man who maintains contact with a number of mages, and connects them, for a price.  He was the one who directed me towards the mage who knew "feline".  It... was somewhat expensive, but don't worry about that!  You had been talking about how you hoped you could find the word, and I could easily afford the price without any trouble.  Ah, and if it's not enough, I did still get good information on where we could find a stronger version of the word!"

Devastator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2619 on: June 04, 2020, 10:05:21 pm »

"Yes, thank you, Ekrov, it's great.. but I don't think I told you why I wanted Feline?
Well, outside of how it'll make it much easier to cast spells on Benedict?"

"I think it's time to make some changes, like I talked about earlier.  I'm going to get those wings permanently.. and, well, I'm not going to do it yet, but I think I'll add in some cat bits as well later.  I mean cats are like really strong animals.  And quick."

"I hope you're not a dog person, right Ekrov?"

syvarris

• Bay Watcher
  • UNICORNPEGASUSKITTEN
    • View Profile
« Reply #2620 on: June 04, 2020, 10:19:25 pm »

"...Ah.  I had indeed thought you only meant the word for Benedict."  Ekrov looks away, unable to hide the frown that has found its way onto his face.  "I am not a dog person, no.  I'm not exactly anything aside from a, well, person person.  Animals are something that the lower classes work with, for the most part, though I have found Benedict fascinating to study..."

"That doesn't really matter.  I understand why you would want wings, flight is truly amazing, and being able to do it under your own power, without draining magic, must be something amazing.  I... don't understand how becoming part cat is appealing, but... ahh, I shouldn't be so negative, you just explained it.  Cats are strong, and fast, yes.  And you are an adventurer, those traits could save your life.  It makes sense, I suppose..."  He sighs, clearly trying to justify the concept to himself more than anything.

Devastator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2621 on: June 04, 2020, 10:30:53 pm »

"Well, I'm not quite sure either.  I do know they're really quick, though, and they can dart about very fast when they want to.  It shouldn't be too much, just a bit more quickness when I need it, which could mean a lot.

Well.. when that mechanical airship was crashed, it had a robot in it.  A very strong, very tough combat robot, with a badly damaged weapon and a damaged leg that was badly slowing it down.

But I was thinking.  It didn't have to be human-shaped, not a guard robot like that.  If it was something else, like cat-shaped, it could have been much much more dangerous.  Even if it only had like cat legs it could have ran better, jumped better, and I don't know what I could have done against it then.

So maybe I should have like cat legs, since I get to choose.  Or maybe just the reflexes, so I could move quicker."

"To be honest, I don't think I'd do any of this without you.  You have that human word, after all, and so I can play around with this, and if it goes wrong, you can fix me.  So I can try it out and if it doesn't work you'll be at hand to clean up."

"Thanks Ekrov."

syvarris

• Bay Watcher
  • UNICORNPEGASUSKITTEN
    • View Profile
« Reply #2622 on: June 04, 2020, 10:45:45 pm »

Ekrov looks back at Saeko, his smile returning.  "That's true, you can always return to normal if you don't like the changes.  I think you might find that the changes aren't so beneficial as you expect; we humans may not have powerful jaws or claws like animals, but our bodies aren't so poorly designed.  There's advantages to the design of our legs, and arms.  The engineer was designed like us for good reasons, not blind vanity.  You only need to look at the true combat models, and the clockwork dragons, to be sure of that."

He puts one hand to his chin, his smile waning slightly as he thinks.  "You do bring up something interesting, though.  A robot in the shape of a feline would certainly have advantages.  I don't think they would outweigh the costs, overall, but it's something I had not thought of.  I'm sure I could alter the design to accomodate that body type, and it might be an interesting project...  I think I might just consider doing that..."

Devastator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2623 on: June 04, 2020, 11:02:29 pm »

"A cat robot sounds great, Ekrov.  I'd love to see one, magic or not."

"Yeah, it might be trouble, but I'm not gonna be the engineer.  I really do want to be a fighter now.  Never used weapons before, never had to fight personally.  Was always on the back row, and would just cast spells.  Maybe I might help out a little if the enemies were very, very weak, but then who would notice.  But now I can do something new and exciting.  Some flying around, some sparring, some swinging some swords.. going to be a fun day tomorrow.

Also, I didn't tell you this, but animal people aren't new to me.  I've seen them before.

We didn't have one in our group, but I've heard of them before in other places in Japan.  Sometimes they're normal, sometimes they have stuff like, say just ears, sometimes they have like the claws and such.  And I'm not going to have claws, I'm gonna keep my hands.

It's something new to try, along with the whole front-line fighter thing.  And with the way magic works here, well, why not?"

syvarris

• Bay Watcher
  • UNICORNPEGASUSKITTEN
    • View Profile
« Reply #2624 on: June 04, 2020, 11:16:27 pm »

"Well... I'd say that it's expensive, but we have more than enough mana.  Animal people aren't unknown in Alkahest, or at least people like you described.  Some mages give themselves minor animal traits as a cosmetic statement, like accessories.  More often, they gain them due to magical corruption, like with your teeth." he pauses for a few seconds, hesitating.  "Changes like that were much more common in the old days, when they were cheap and simple to create and revert, but these days... well, there's always those who don't understand, and think aberrant individuals have aberrant minds.  They're not entirely wrong, either; if the body isn't intact, there's a good chance the mind isn't, either.  But... you're right, I can repair any mishaps.  Hopefully even your mind, if you damage it..."
Pages: 1 ... 173 174 [175] 176 177 ... 203