Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 186 187 [188] 189 190 ... 203

Author Topic: Cabal: Wizard Open World Game  (Read 338042 times)

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • Perhaps I'll
    • View Profile
Re: Cabal: Wizard Open World Game
« Reply #2805 on: August 06, 2020, 11:47:14 pm »

"Take my hand, I'll give you mana."
Down at the bottom of the ocean. Beneath tons of brine which would crush you down. Not into broken and splintered flesh, but into thin soup. Into just more of the sea water. Where things live that aren't so different from you, but you will never live to touch them and they will never live to touch you.

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
  • Thank you TamerVirus for the avatar switcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2806 on: August 07, 2020, 12:05:32 am »

Ok, thank you[/
« Last Edit: August 07, 2020, 12:27:02 am by Naturegirl1999 »

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • Perhaps I'll
    • View Profile
« Reply #2807 on: August 07, 2020, 12:11:51 am »

((Edit your earlier post if you want to change your action, Nature. I'm giving you 50 mana.))
Down at the bottom of the ocean. Beneath tons of brine which would crush you down. Not into broken and splintered flesh, but into thin soup. Into just more of the sea water. Where things live that aren't so different from you, but you will never live to touch them and they will never live to touch you.

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2808 on: August 07, 2020, 12:30:05 am »

((Done, the mana is added))

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • Perhaps I'll
    • View Profile
« Reply #2809 on: August 07, 2020, 02:12:46 am »

"Oh yes, I'm Zavirius, by the way. Servant to King Telcal, I suppose. I'm pretty new to this, to be honest."

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #2810 on: August 07, 2020, 10:23:57 am »

Thank the ferry captain, give him five gold for the trouble and to help him take care of his crew and ship after the attack that happened, and head into Nihil, finding out who needs a Doctor here.

Spoiler: Nina (click to show/hide)
You pay off the captain and head ashore. Nihil is probably the biggest river community you've seen; its a thriving sort of place, new buildings being erected on its outskirts, fisheries and docks spreading down the length of the river day by day, people walking about with an air of infinite opportunity. You navigate through the mess and find the mayor's residence. Larger than you expected, practically a little mansion out near the edge of town. Servants bring you to the Lady herself, where she's sitting and watching the city from an upper floor balcony.  You tell her what you're here for and she nods.

"I'll have men go about, gathering up any cases they can. Might take a bit though. Care to stay the night here?" She asks, still not looking away from the city below. You can't see well from where you're standing behind her, but you think she's wearing some kind of military uniform? Or at least something that resembles it.

Recall any important information for fighting Angels, follow the girl with the flashing hair.
Also give Eve 50 mana.

Spoiler: ... (click to show/hide)
[19] You consider this and feel almost like information is being piped directly into your noodle.  Angels have an odd sort of life cycle and their middle stage is when they incarnate into human form. They need humans for this, as raw ingredients for the shell. If this thing is gathering people, its about to transform. It would be good to get it before it does; not only would finding it be easier but angelic human forms have quite a lot of power condensed into a small body; making them more dangerous. Fire won't work on them so well, you need something mundane and heavy. A Lead club would be best, or even a tungsten carbide bat if you could get hold of one. Blunt, heavy, mundane. These are all the things that would deal most damage to it. Hmm. If its underground a controlled cave in might work even better. Stone is blunt, heavy, and mundane after all.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Head to Old Kaolin and enter the passageway that the angel is in. On the way there, the wizard following me offered to give mana, so I take his hand and receive 50 mana (spoiler updated)
The angel is in Old Kaolin, in an underground area. Isn’t it normal to mention the problem to a magebreaker? Why wouldn’t one be forward about this?
You take some of her mana and head back to the Old Kaolin entrance. You both carefully make your way through until you reach the hall containing the room where you last saw the angel. The lights and sounds from before are still coming from there, so it must still be in here.

A secret jungle WITHIN a secret jungle?! Double Jungle! Wow!

Carefully test out some things to try and determine how this fancy forest operates:

1) Lower some rope (also made from plant fibers I guess?) and let it touch the leaves.

2) Tie small bit of metal to rope, use that to let the metal touch the leave (make sure I have some distance) and see what exactly happens to the metal.

3) same but just let the rope lower to beneath the treeline without touching anything, to see if it is touch-based or more area-of-effect.

4) Let some inorganic but not artificial (eg a pebble) matter touch the leaves, does that elicit a response?

5) See if we have a hemp bag or equivalent and put some metal inside, then let it touch the leaves. Is the metal protected from the effect? (assuming the rope test is negative)

6) Touch the leaves with some animal-based material like leather or a it of dried meat from our rations.

7) Can the sunbro staff command these plants?

8) Consider if some spell or enchantment is causing this effect (and could thus be dispelled with the lotus orb) or more like an inherent effect. If the former, does this seem like one giant spell, or could it be dispelled one leave/tree at a time?

9) Is it possible to descend more without touching any of these metallic growths?

10) Make sure to check our books and such to see if they can give us a hint.

((this was rather stream of consciousness, will try to clean up a bit later if I have time.))

Double jungle all the way bro. All the way Bro.

1. Rope is fine.
2. Metal...just kind of goes away. Like ceases to exist. Not burns or vaporizes or whatever. Just poof.
3. Getting it to not touch is basically impossible; the foliage completely covers the hole. Though it does tell you that despite being made of metal, the fronds still move and react like plants.
4. Nah, no response.
5. The metal vanishes just the same.
6. No effect
7. You try, but no, it can't. You feel like something is resisting your control, pushing back against it.
8. Hard to say. This is the domain of a divine entity so anything is possible. You could always give it a shot, but no guarantee it will work.
9. Maybe another 10 feet.
10. The best you get is that apparently this goddess hated technology, specifically things like  what the mechanists employed. Very low tech preferences. Hunter gatherer sort of stuff. Seemed rather dismissive and annoyed about how humanity had advanced.

Return the vial of black flux to Saeko when she takes the two sticks, I forgot that Ekrov needs a gallon of black flux.  At least he can just go loot it whenever.  Also I don't want to leave it in my inventory while Saeko's out on her adventure, I'll inevitably forget about it.

Make the thaumic grenade that just produces clouds continually until it runs out of mana.  I'd like it to work on a charging system; it costs X mana to produce obscuring clouds for one combat turn, so you just shove in however much mana would be used over three turns, throw it, and then it'll provide you cover for those three turns... plus maybe some extra time since clouds tend to stick around.  I'm not going to put any other enchantment on it, it's just a reusable thaumic grenade that summons clouds.

Talk to the guide golem, and ask it about the other golems.  What their abilities are.  Whether they'd be friendly, or aggressive--especially the warrior golems.  Do they have any subtle functions it would be useful to know about?  What about the guide?

Also ask if the keys we took from the ruins of Gravid have any built-in spells that might be useful.  Ekrov currently has a soldier and an aristocrat key, there's probably some of the laborer keys lying around as well.

Aaaand since I'm drawing a blank on other stuff, learn some bits of Celestine from the guide while talking to it.  It's not a major priority, but Ekrov would like to learn the language eventually.

...Melt magicoal too.

Spoiler: creepy oracle kid (click to show/hide)

Alright.

We can do that.  If you have some gems, we can assume you engrave them with the right magic. If not, we can assume you buy some; you can say how much you wanna spend in the next turn but for a small diamond you can probably get away with 10 gold a grenade.

According to the guide, all golems should be non-violent against citizens of the city so long as they have not broken any laws. When you ask about the functions of other golems, it seems...guarded. It says that it knows the functions of some of the golems but that those of military make are not something it can talk about with any authority

According to the guide, not that it knows of.

You get some basic Celestine but its actually quite a difficult language; entirely different from the languages you know. Semi-tonal, with lots of odd sounds that you have difficulty making, let alone understanding.

1, 12 mana

Lets go summon it right back out, then, except this time friendly.  The slot will be freed up if the giant scorpion dies, correct?

It's not really useful right now, but I'd like to keep it around as bioshaper raw material.  So use some dye to mark it, say with a big obvious mark right between its eyes.

Use the bioshaper to get a good look at the giant creature.  I'm going to try and figure out how it is so huge for an insect, and look for things that can be used to improve the abilities of the insects I have instead of blood.  Also try to figure out how the venom works, and how the organ works that produces it, in case I want to make venomous creatures with the bioshaper.  Also, see if it has any interesting insect senses and try to figure out how they work.

Then, take off the ring that I'm wearing to not look like a sack of walnuts, and use the biomodder to take enough flesh from the giant scorpion to render the ring unnecessary.

Along the way, there are some changes to be made.  First, I'd like to improve my endurance, so go through my joints and bones, trying to ensure they're robust.  Same with making any improvements to my insect-blood as inspired by the giant scorpion.  Then, I'm going to try and improve the performance and capacity of my lungs and insect-oxygenation system, as preparation to fly up a huge mountain and to increase my flight ceiling.  Try to keep this to invisible internal changes instead of stuff like increasing the flexability of my ribcage.

I'd also like to add some thin fur under the covering of my armor, as it's likely cold up on the snowy mountain top, and it'll take magic to summon more cloth.  I doubt anyone's carrying any clothing-for-winged-people in the town.

If I finish up successfully, give the giant scorpion orders to head roughly towards the mansion, and to set up a den a kilometer or so away from it.  Text Ekrov to warn him that the scorpion is friendly, but if it causes problems they can kill it.

Spoiler: Saeko (click to show/hide)

Yes, it will be freed up when the scorpion dies.  The book disgorges the scorpion with a rather unpleasant wet sound.

Done.

[3+4v4]
The bug seems similar to ones of the more normal size but substantially beefed up in some respects. Its legs work a sort of hydraulic system, the heart of which is inside the back half of the abdomen. Its a massively powerful cluster of arteries and muscles that allow it to exert enough force on the limbs to move them. It also has a more traditional circulatory system instead of the odd ubiquitous oxygenation of the the smaller version. The venom is...well you're not sure how it works but it has a lot of it.  Its senses look about normal, though sized up and with a few more eyes than you...think they should have. You're not totally sure. This all costs 5 mana.

You take a back leg from the scorpion and fix your appearance. It costs 45 mana.

At this point you don't have enough mana to do those other things.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • Perhaps I'll
    • View Profile
« Reply #2811 on: August 08, 2020, 04:04:40 pm »

"Careful, it's resistant to direct magic. I'm going to drop the ceiling on its head. I'd recommend staying close to me."

Stop through and use my sword to lob an explosion-blade at the roof. Aim to knock as much stuff loose right on top of it as possible.
As I step in, cast a short buff on my armor which makes any stones which impact it only hit as hard as if they weighed as much as styrofoam. (Lightweight Slow Diminish)

If the angel is pinned by the falling stone, try to finish it off by hitting it with the flat of my blade.

If the room seems like it's going to collapse, cast a spell to shortly buff my speed (Slow Human), Grab Salt and Eve, and evacuate.

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2812 on: August 08, 2020, 04:09:22 pm »

While Zavirius is casting spells to cause stone to fall from the ceiling, cast a spell using the Stone word to cause stones from the ground to hit the angel as well

Devastator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2813 on: August 10, 2020, 01:55:11 am »

Send the bug to find a nest nearish the mansion.

Head on to Galena.  See if there's any people willing to recieve healing for hugs.  Between Strengthen, reverse-disease, and grow, it should be possible to cure most normal diseases.

Try to gather information about the peak I'm heading towards.

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
  • Morals? Ethics? Conscience? HA!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2814 on: August 11, 2020, 03:45:04 am »

First, go back up to just past the entrance of the temple so we have some room to work here and don’t accidentally drop things down into the jungle.

Then, carefully try to detach those metal arms. Try not to damage them.

Subsequently we will try one of the following things (try whatever has the lowest difficulty that still seems like it should work). Also note that for all of these, the spell can be temporary (aim for a couple of hours) and does not need to be permanent, so hopefully there is no chance of a mutation due to permanent enchantment.
- Darwin uses his viscera word to cover the connectors in living tissue (Darwin has better End so this has preference if it still seems like it would work).
- Ecalir uses his bug word to cover his arms in living bugflesh.
- Ecalir uses his multiply word to multiply the flesh near the arm connectors so that flesh grows over the connectors.
- Darwin uses the sunbro staff to cover the connectors in living plantflesh (use some of the plant samples we have as a basis to work from).

Should one of these work out without terrible terrible magical backlash, with a medical bag on hand and after stripping him of all gear that could set off the effect, let Ecalir touch one of the leaves.

« Last Edit: August 11, 2020, 03:49:46 am by Radio Controlled »

Einsteinian Roulette Wiki
Quote from: you know who you are
21:26   <XYZ>: I know nothing about this, but I have strong opinions about it.
Fucking hell, you guys are worse than the demons.

chaotick21

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2815 on: August 11, 2020, 06:43:17 am »

Kick it back to stun it, and tell the person with the acid to aim at any exposed cables, wires, or gears

Pancaek

• Bay Watcher
  • Real stupidity beats artificial intelligence
    • View Profile
« Reply #2816 on: August 11, 2020, 10:02:18 am »

Yes to plan "where we're going, we don't need arms"

Spoiler:  Écalir Speedwagon (click to show/hide)

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #2817 on: August 11, 2020, 11:20:28 am »

Kick it back to stun it, and tell the person with the acid to aim at any exposed cables, wires, or gears
[4v5][10v4][1v4]
You aim a kick at the descending mechanical beast and hit it square in the chest, but its weight and momentum overcome your strength. You get shoved to the ground, falling on your back with the machine standing over you. It raises both hands and brings its fists down at you in a double hammer blow. You roll backwards, evading the blow and getting to your feet in one motion. The vial of acid goes hurtling past your shoulder and towards the machine, but misses by a large margin as the creature drops low and begins a knuckle running charge at you.

While Zavirius is casting spells to cause stone to fall from the ceiling, cast a spell using the Stone word to cause stones from the ground to hit the angel as well
"Careful, it's resistant to direct magic. I'm going to drop the ceiling on its head. I'd recommend staying close to me."

Stop through and use my sword to lob an explosion-blade at the roof. Aim to knock as much stuff loose right on top of it as possible.
As I step in, cast a short buff on my armor which makes any stones which impact it only hit as hard as if they weighed as much as styrofoam. (Lightweight Slow Diminish)

If the angel is pinned by the falling stone, try to finish it off by hitting it with the flat of my blade.

If the room seems like it's going to collapse, cast a spell to shortly buff my speed (Slow Human), Grab Salt and Eve, and evacuate.

[20+5][6v6][eve: -6 mana][Zavirius: I forget sword usage costs~, Do you remember? Been months since we talked about it]
Eve casts a spell to cause the rocks on the floor of the room to fly upwards. She does this just as Zavirius steps through the door and swings her sword in a hard upward blow, willing it to release its power at the same time. The sword immediately glows white hot and screams as the condensation in the air flash boils into steam. The heat blade released by the blade is something Zavirius sees maybe a fraction of a second of before it impacts the ceiling; a crescent moon as bright as the sun and distorting the world around it with sheer heat. Them impact, blinding light, roar of the blast, shockwave hurling Eve and Salt back while Zavirius remains standing, everything lost in dust and smoke in an instant.

It takes half a minute to clear enough for Zavirius to look around, but when she does she doesn't see the angel. She doesn't see the roof either. Nor the ground above it. Where the ceiling used to be is a rough hole straight up to daylight.  As she stands there, staring at it, she sees something. High up, several hundred feet, something is squirming.

Send the bug to find a nest nearish the mansion.

Head on to Galena.  See if there's any people willing to recieve healing for hugs.  Between Strengthen, reverse-disease, and grow, it should be possible to cure most normal diseases.

Try to gather information about the peak I'm heading towards.

Done.
15 mana from doing that, subtracting the mana used.
Its one of the lesser peaks of the range, not particularly famous for much, unlike the ones holding Old and New Kaolin. They say there used to be rituals top it to one of the lesser gods of the sky - rain or clouds or something they believe- but that was a long time ago. The peak does have several statues built in various places though, for reasons they're not sure of.

First, go back up to just past the entrance of the temple so we have some room to work here and don’t accidentally drop things down into the jungle.

Then, carefully try to detach those metal arms. Try not to damage them.

Subsequently we will try one of the following things (try whatever has the lowest difficulty that still seems like it should work). Also note that for all of these, the spell can be temporary (aim for a couple of hours) and does not need to be permanent, so hopefully there is no chance of a mutation due to permanent enchantment.
- Darwin uses his viscera word to cover the connectors in living tissue (Darwin has better End so this has preference if it still seems like it would work).
- Ecalir uses his bug word to cover his arms in living bugflesh.
- Ecalir uses his multiply word to multiply the flesh near the arm connectors so that flesh grows over the connectors.
- Darwin uses the sunbro staff to cover the connectors in living plantflesh (use some of the plant samples we have as a basis to work from).

Should one of these work out without terrible terrible magical backlash, with a medical bag on hand and after stripping him of all gear that could set off the effect, let Ecalir touch one of the leaves.

Yes to plan "where we're going, we don't need arms"

Spoiler:  Écalir Speedwagon (click to show/hide)
Eclair's arms are designed to be able to be detached from their mountings so removing them is easy enough.

[7v2] -2 mana.  You cause Eclair's flesh to grow over the connection ports; just a thin layer of skin and subcutaneous tissue though, nothing major.

This done, and with everything metal and artificial removed from him, you let him head down and poke a leaf. He does so, very carefully, with one toe. Nothing happens.  He pokes it again and then full on shoves it with a whole foot. Nothing happens.  You check the ports, probing his flesh with your finger tips and they're still there. Hmm. Promising.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • Perhaps I'll
    • View Profile
« Reply #2818 on: August 11, 2020, 12:08:14 pm »

"No you don't."

(Glass, Porcelain) Cast a spell to create a normal, mundane porcelain scope on my rifle.
(Diminish, Lightweight, Mercury) Enchant one of my mercury-filled bullets to expand and become heavier after being fired.

Load the bullet, aim at the angel, and shoot it.

Lenglon

• Bay Watcher
  • Everyone cries, the question is what follows it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2819 on: August 11, 2020, 12:13:37 pm »

I... I want to be easily accessible, so I kinda want to say no, but with what happened on the river... I think I'll sleep better here.
"Thank you, I would appreciate that. The trip up the river was eventful."
I'll take her up on her offer, and let her know about the attack that happened to the ferry during the trip upriver, though I'll avoid mentioning the Aqua Vitae. She does need to know about the threat to commerce.

Spoiler: Nina (click to show/hide)
((I don't think heating something that is right above us to a ridiculous degree is very smart. Worst case scenario we become +metal statues+. This is a finely crafted metal statue. It is encrusted with sharkmist and HMRC. On the item is an image of HMRC and Pancaek. Pancaek is laughing. The HMRC is melting. The artwork relates to the encasing of the HMRC in metal by Pancaek during the Mission of Many People.))
Pages: 1 ... 186 187 [188] 189 190 ... 203