Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 193 194 [195] 196 197 ... 203

Author Topic: Cabal: Wizard Open World Game  (Read 342695 times)

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • technical difficulties
    • View Profile
Re: Cabal: Wizard Open World Game
« Reply #2910 on: September 20, 2020, 07:32:38 pm »

Zavirius sits and silently talks to the batrider for a few minutes.
"Alright, it sounds like all we need to do is close the hole . Let's head back up, Eve."

Go back to the hole and ascend to the top. Same spell I used to get myself out of the last hole, [Bird, Lightweight, Slow] to briefly grow GLORIOUS WINGS and propel myself upwards, carrying Eve.

Also give her 60 mana to level her Will up to +3.

"I'd like you to use this mana to improve your Will, then use a spell to cap off this hole with stone."

Spoiler: ... (click to show/hide)
Insatiable consumption. Ceaseless motion. Unstoppable destruction.

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #2911 on: September 22, 2020, 10:45:12 am »

Levelups after recieving my Thaum from sugardaddy Darwin:
Strength to +3
Endurance to +3
Speed to +3
Senses to +2

Which should come to 210 thaum in levelups

For the record, Darwin has my permission to change my plumage/appearance. And you can assume he has my permission for pretty much all changes in the future unless I specifically state otherwise.

Spoiler:  Écalir Speedwagon (click to show/hide)

730 thaum total.
Use 210 mana to bring Darwin's Will to +5 (do it in steps to avoid having too much mana inside me at once)
Give 210 mana to Pan for stat upgrades (see his post).
73 more mana to Pan
97 to Darwin
30 thaum into Pan's flammenwerfer.
110 thaum we keep in bottles

You find some really big shed skin and the animals tell you she's departed to walk the jungle as per usual.

Collect the skin (unless that would be blasphemy or disrespectful or something), does it have any special properties? Process it so it won't spoil or degrade (assuming that would't remove any special properties it has).

Go track down sneklady, using the sunbroer staff to ask the animals and plants to guide our way.

It can, but it would be a Will roll vs his Will unless he gives you permission.

then let's make him fabulous! Maybe like a cross between a kingfisher and a toucan? Or perhaps more like a bird of paradise? Whatever Ecalir prefers or would look good really.

Alright.

You collect a fair amount of it. There's enough to cover an entire giant lizard goddess so you can't really carry it all. But you get a good amount and fold it up. If it has any special properties, they're not immediately evident.

You enact the changes on your feathered friend's plumage and he says it tingles. Now just have to wait for the feathers to molt naturally and be replaced.

[5+1 v 9]
You search around for some clues as to where snek has wandered off to but after following some damaged trees for a bit the trail goes cold when it reaches the river. She apparently is swimming instead of walking.

Zavirius sits and silently talks to the batrider for a few minutes.
"Alright, it sounds like all we need to do is close the hole . Let's head back up, Eve."

Go back to the hole and ascend to the top. Same spell I used to get myself out of the last hole, [Bird, Lightweight, Slow] to briefly grow GLORIOUS WINGS and propel myself upwards, carrying Eve.

Also give her 60 mana to level her Will up to +3.

"I'd like you to use this mana to improve your Will, then use a spell to cap off this hole with stone."

[2] -2 mana.
You carry Eve back out of the hole and shove some mana into her face so she can hopefully put a bandaid on this problem. Of course she's been rather...quiet lately and doesn't seem to respond.

Ask the guide what the big domed building is.  Head that way first, moving the mothmobile until it's close to it, and flying the rest of the way.  Keep a look out for any small asteroids.. do they look ordinary?  Are there like small buildings on them or anything?

Spoiler: Saeko Hirahara (click to show/hide)

The guide says that the domed building is a temple to the goddess of the sky and her palace. It recommends caution going there due to "Unruly visitors" that appear to have currently taken up residence.

You fly in closer, first with the mothmobile and then with your voidsuit.  You reach a nearby floating chunk of stone and get a better view of the place. There are mechanist machines there, their soldiers along with what look like giant mechanical ants. The soldiers seem to be just standing there utterly still while the ants tear chunks of stone away and then hop and hurl themselves back towards that hive they have.

While you're on the asteroid you look for other small buildings and at the asteroids themselves. They're of a strange sort of substance, a sort of very dark blue metallic stuff, almost like raw iron ore but not quite the right color. They also make you feel odd. While you can float weightlessly here, when you're on the asteroids you feel more rooted. You don't feel any heavier, but you also don't feel like you'll drift away. It looks like these asteroids, the smaller ones at least, used to be part of a larger whole. You see some with a few buildings on them but it is clear they weren't put there purposefully. Instead they broke off from a larger thing and just happened to survive the process and are now drifting freely.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2020, 10:57:33 am by piecewise »

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • technical difficulties
    • View Profile
« Reply #2912 on: September 22, 2020, 04:39:22 pm »

Well, if she's unresponsive, cast a mind control spell on Eve using [Human]. Only has to last long enough to cast a spell.

What I'd like her to do is use 60 mana to level her Will up to +3, then cast a d10 spell to cap off the sinkhole with stone.

Assuming that works out, carry Eve back to Regulus, set her down somewhere relatively safe, then walk back to HQ.

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
  • Morals? Ethics? Conscience? HA!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2913 on: September 23, 2020, 03:08:03 am »

Bump senses to +2

You collect a fair amount of it. There's enough to cover an entire giant lizard goddess so you can't really carry it all. But you get a good amount and fold it up. If it has any special properties, they're not immediately evident.
Turn the rest of the skin that we couldn’t collect into thaum, if it’s worth any (and if, again, not blasphemous).

Do some light testing on a small piece of the skin we collected. Does it seem resistant to puncture or other physical damage? What about resistance to chemicals, or the elements (eg. fire)? Does it seem to have any affinity (or resistance) to magic? If we use the lotus orb on a small (detached from the greater whole) piece, any reaction?

You search around for some clues as to where snek has wandered off to but after following some damaged trees for a bit the trail goes cold when it reaches the river. She apparently is swimming instead of walking.
Do a viscera sensing spell to detect the large mass of reptilian guts we are looking for. It doesn’t have to be very precise, even if it just tells us whether to go up- or downstream that’s enough.

Also ask the fish and other critters if they have seen her pass by.

If none of that works, go hunt for a lizard or at least a reptile, and with the help of Ecalir trap/slay it (don't use the sunbroer staff to command it, give it a fair fighting chance). If that works look for a relevant word in its guts to hopefully help us find big snek.

« Last Edit: September 23, 2020, 08:32:16 am by Radio Controlled »

Einsteinian Roulette Wiki
Quote from: you know who you are
21:26   <XYZ>: I know nothing about this, but I have strong opinions about it.
Fucking hell, you guys are worse than the demons.

Devastator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2914 on: September 23, 2020, 10:18:36 pm »

That's a lot of robots

Swap in d6 Air to my set of words, then..

Cast a bunch of big spells.  Temporary d8 reverse-Permanent Expand Rain Force Grow Bird Reverse-Vacuum.  Goal is to summon a storm that will rain birds made of living force with the reverse-vacuum powers allowing them to fly like I do.  Lasts an hour, and they're to attack the huge number of soldiers.

Expand the storm with a temporary d10 Strengthen Expand Rain.

Move around the temple/palace and repeat those two spells twice more at different locations, to make three huge storms.

I'll buff and run in to fight next turn.

« Last Edit: September 23, 2020, 10:23:32 pm by Devastator »

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #2915 on: September 25, 2020, 10:44:07 am »

Well, if she's unresponsive, cast a mind control spell on Eve using [Human]. Only has to last long enough to cast a spell.

What I'd like her to do is use 60 mana to level her Will up to +3, then cast a d10 spell to cap off the sinkhole with stone.

Assuming that works out, carry Eve back to Regulus, set her down somewhere relatively safe, then walk back to HQ.

(we'll just assume you control her this turn without a spell)
[4+3v9] -9 mana. Failure!
[1+3v3] - 3 mana, success!

The comatose person forges a foot or so thick plug of stone over the mouth of the sinkhole, with a few supporting pillars branching off from the bottom side. Should be enough to handle most things.

However, remember that there are also some critters running around that already came out of the hole. The town asked you to kill those as well. Of course you could just assume this is good enough.

Bump senses to +2

Turn the rest of the skin that we couldn’t collect into thaum, if it’s worth any (and if, again, not blasphemous).

Do some light testing on a small piece of the skin we collected. Does it seem resistant to puncture or other physical damage? What about resistance to chemicals, or the elements (eg. fire)? Does it seem to have any affinity (or resistance) to magic? If we use the lotus orb on a small (detached from the greater whole) piece, any reaction?

Do a viscera sensing spell to detect the large mass of reptilian guts we are looking for. It doesn’t have to be very precise, even if it just tells us whether to go up- or downstream that’s enough.

Also ask the fish and other critters if they have seen her pass by.

If none of that works, go hunt for a lizard or at least a reptile, and with the help of Ecalir trap/slay it (don't use the sunbroer staff to command it, give it a fair fighting chance). If that works look for a relevant word in its guts to hopefully help us find big snek.

Alright.

You gain 121 thaum.

The skin is tough, though only as tough as you'd expect for something this large and thick. You can still break it by hand with the right effort and leverage. It seems somewhat chemical resistant, though not amazingly so. IN terms of magic though, it seems as though if you cast a spell while holding the skin, the skin vanishes and seems to be automatically converted into mana to fuel the spell partially or fully.

[2+2v5] -5 mana, trying again.
[2+2v6] -6 mana, one more time
[10+2v4] -4 mana, success!

You send out a ping searching for giant reptile gutty bits. After a few moments you sense something; its quite a long way away by now so you hop on Eclair and chase after it. It takes the better part of a day and a half to catch up; its not moving fast but you can't exactly sprint through dense jungle. Eventually leap from the edge of the tree line and onto a sandy bank where an enormous crocodile is sunning itself. You worry for a moment that its just a normal...well just a giant crocodile, until you notice the gourd jug of booze sitting cradled in one elbow.

"Found me eh?" The crocodile asks in a growling, husky voice that still carries that same sense of amusement the goddess had before.

That's a lot of robots

Swap in d6 Air to my set of words, then..

Cast a bunch of big spells.  Temporary d8 reverse-Permanent Expand Rain Force Grow Bird Reverse-Vacuum.  Goal is to summon a storm that will rain birds made of living force with the reverse-vacuum powers allowing them to fly like I do.  Lasts an hour, and they're to attack the huge number of soldiers.

Expand the storm with a temporary d10 Strengthen Expand Rain.

Move around the temple/palace and repeat those two spells twice more at different locations, to make three huge storms.

I'll buff and run in to fight next turn.

[2+3v4] -4
[4+3v9] Fail -9. Again.
[3+3v7] Fail -7. Again.
[8+3v5] Success. -5.

[5+3v2] -2
[3+3v9]Fail -9. Again
[6+3v5]Success. -5

[5+3v2]-2
[5+3v7]-7
-50 mana.

You cast the spell in three places around the perimeter of the building, delaying each so that they all start at once. The spells summon up a black cloud that is then expanded to cover a good 100 foot square area. From the cloud rain out birds. They look like they're made of glass, or maybe like a bubble underwater. They don't fly so much as dive down towards their targets below. And they don't flap about, pecking and swatting with their wings, instead they dive bomb the targets like falling arrows, bursting against them like hand grenades. They have no material in their bodies to accelerate as shrapnel but the sheer force of the impacts does its own damage.  They carpet bomb the entire area, homing in on the mechanical soldiers and ants and pummeling them apart.  Some run to cover and the birds follow them. Other flocks dive into the depths of the building and continue their onslaught on unseen enemies.

From a distance you can see other enemies taking notice of whats going on and moving  to intercept.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • technical difficulties
    • View Profile
« Reply #2916 on: September 25, 2020, 05:30:52 pm »

Already accounted: Give Eve 13 Mana for that spell (such that when and if nature comes back, her sheet is the same as it was with an extra +3 to will)
Put her down in an inn or something so that she's safe until she wakes up.

Time to enchant some wands. All at d10 difficulty and d8 mana battery, in three types: lightning bolt, healing, and toxic explosion. Just keep making them, in that order, until I'm out of mana.
(It probably doesn't matter too much what the properties of these are, because I can't critfail making them, I'm going through the rest of my mana anyways, and I'm going to immediately give them to NPCs who I'll never see again.)

Find a group of mercenaries, preferably ones with at least one mage, and hire them to take care of the beasts. Pay them with all the wands I just made, plus however much gold is necessary.

Assuming that's wrapped up, walk back to HQ, report in and recount everything I've seen, especially the underground people, and request some time off to do some journeying on my own.

Assuming I get that, I'd like to try to obtain or purchase information on the location of some flesh scroll Words. Anything is worth looking into, but I'd be particularly looking for Fire, Mind, Soul, Clockwork, or Animate.

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2917 on: September 26, 2020, 05:27:10 am »

The skin is tough, though only as tough as you'd expect for something this large and thick. You can still break it by hand with the right effort and leverage. It seems somewhat chemical resistant, though not amazingly so. IN terms of magic though, it seems as though if you cast a spell while holding the skin, the skin vanishes and seems to be automatically converted into mana to fuel the spell partially or fully.
Ohoho! So the skin acts as some sort of mana battery in a way then? So could it for example be used to power a stored spell, making the spell stronger because it can be powered from straight up godflesh? Or perhaps could it be used to power magical machinery? And can it do this better than something like thaum could?

Head off in the direction of the black flux! On the way there look into our books and ask around to learn about Kal-dune and what kind of things he liked, and what could be an appropriate offering at his resting place. We can take the red => orange route (http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=163892.msg8149477#msg8149477)

On the way there, in the towns and cities we pass by try to sell the following things:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

How much does it net us?

« Last Edit: September 26, 2020, 09:26:06 am by Radio Controlled »

Devastator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2918 on: September 26, 2020, 01:35:48 pm »

Do a few buffs before entering the fray.  Two temporary Strengthens, one on the breastplate/life support, and one on my skin.  Aim to improve armour protection from d8+1 to d12+1 with them.  Don't retry failures.

Do a temporary d10 reverse-permanent Strengthen Speed on self lasting an hour, to help with the oncoming fighting.

Look at the doors and the entryway to the building.  Cast a temporary reverse-permanent Strengthen Grow Expand spell to enlarge myself and my gear, to the largest size that should be able to enter the building.

Then, start fighting robots, using all my weapons.  Air blasts from wings, gunfire from my rifle, spear stabs, and the will attack from the last mutation on my hands.  Help clear the outside of the building, along with the rain of force-birds.  While doing so, cast additional temporary d8 strengthen spells on robots I grab to drain their strength and add it to my own magically, until I have 30 or less mana remaining.

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #2919 on: September 29, 2020, 02:06:51 pm »

Already accounted: Give Eve 13 Mana for that spell (such that when and if nature comes back, her sheet is the same as it was with an extra +3 to will)
Put her down in an inn or something so that she's safe until she wakes up.

Time to enchant some wands. All at d10 difficulty and d8 mana battery, in three types: lightning bolt, healing, and toxic explosion. Just keep making them, in that order, until I'm out of mana.
(It probably doesn't matter too much what the properties of these are, because I can't critfail making them, I'm going through the rest of my mana anyways, and I'm going to immediately give them to NPCs who I'll never see again.)

Find a group of mercenaries, preferably ones with at least one mage, and hire them to take care of the beasts. Pay them with all the wands I just made, plus however much gold is necessary.

Assuming that's wrapped up, walk back to HQ, report in and recount everything I've seen, especially the underground people, and request some time off to do some journeying on my own.

Assuming I get that, I'd like to try to obtain or purchase information on the location of some flesh scroll Words. Anything is worth looking into, but I'd be particularly looking for Fire, Mind, Soul, Clockwork, or Animate.

[-74 mana, +8 wands]

[17] Mercs found and paid off with the wands. They promise to kill off any wandering critters.

You report in everything you've seen, from the angel to the ground dwelling people and then ask for some time off to go on your own journey.  They tell you that things are getting very close to mass deployment towards the east so they can't exactly give you free reign to wander off. They'll agree to it, but you have to be able to return within 24 hours if called.

Buying information is a roll, so it may cost varying things and may or may not produce information. You're casting a wide net there so you have a better chance, but it still might not work.  You still wanna give it a shot? If so just hit me up on Discord and we'll do the rolls.

Ohoho! So the skin acts as some sort of mana battery in a way then? So could it for example be used to power a stored spell, making the spell stronger because it can be powered from straight up godflesh? Or perhaps could it be used to power magical machinery? And can it do this better than something like thaum could?

Head off in the direction of the black flux! On the way there look into our books and ask around to learn about Kal-dune and what kind of things he liked, and what could be an appropriate offering at his resting place. We can take the red => orange route (http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=163892.msg8149477#msg8149477)

On the way there, in the towns and cities we pass by try to sell the following things:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

How much does it net us?

Unknown. As of right now, all you know is that when you physically cast spells, it gets used up and powers them. You're not sure it would work on a stored spell without trying it, and you're not sure if it makes things more powerful or if it is simply acting like a battery you use up instead of your own power.

125 gold from selling your  random junk, but the raptor head alone sells for 75 more.

You head towards the black flux, stopping along the way to search for info. The small towns you travel through are generally devoid of a lot of learned men and books, but once you reach the Aqua Vitae Oasis you do manage to find someplace promising. Its one of the old "Chained" libraries of a former nobleman, now held by a private citizen who charges for admission. And, as you find out, he seems to be charging for the privilege of observing the contents and building, not actually reading any of the books.  If you want to get access to them, you'll have to talk him into it. Maybe with coin. Maybe with violence. Who knows.

Also, you are feeling very thirsty and wilted out here in the desert. Your sprouts are drooping.

Do a few buffs before entering the fray.  Two temporary Strengthens, one on the breastplate/life support, and one on my skin.  Aim to improve armour protection from d8+1 to d12+1 with them.  Don't retry failures.

Do a temporary d10 reverse-permanent Strengthen Speed on self lasting an hour, to help with the oncoming fighting.

Look at the doors and the entryway to the building.  Cast a temporary reverse-permanent Strengthen Grow Expand spell to enlarge myself and my gear, to the largest size that should be able to enter the building.

Then, start fighting robots, using all my weapons.  Air blasts from wings, gunfire from my rifle, spear stabs, and the will attack from the last mutation on my hands.  Help clear the outside of the building, along with the rain of force-birds.  While doing so, cast additional temporary d8 strengthen spells on robots I grab to drain their strength and add it to my own magically, until I have 30 or less mana remaining.

[-20 mana]
[-2 mana]
[-23 mana]
[18+4v18,11+4v9,20+4v2,5+4v4,16+4v18]

There are enough robots and enough chaos with the falling bird bombs that you can't really focus on any specific enemy. You simply drop your now massive bulk down onto the carefully mosaiced stone and start striking out at anything in your way. Your normal weapons are now so small in your hands that you basically ignore them and just physically attack, swatting robots away, crushing and rending them apart with hands and talons, trampling them underfoot or hurling them into the void with wing beats. You even drain a few of power before you smash them.

The numbers outside dwindle quickly, at least so far as you can see, but before you move inside you notice more robots coming in from above; the hive in the distances is spitting out a near solid stream of mechanical insects and all manner of other warmachine. You have a few minutes before they arrive, but not much more.

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2920 on: September 30, 2020, 08:40:05 am »

Also, you are feeling very thirsty and wilted out here in the desert. Your sprouts are drooping.
Not the sprouts! Buy some extra supplies and an extra stash of water then. And maybe a good parasol.

Also get some snacks for our little menagerie!

You head towards the black flux, stopping along the way to search for info. The small towns you travel through are generally devoid of a lot of learned men and books, but once you reach the Aqua Vitae Oasis you do manage to find someplace promising. Its one of the old "Chained" libraries of a former nobleman, now held by a private citizen who charges for admission. And, as you find out, he seems to be charging for the privilege of observing the contents and building, not actually reading any of the books.  If you want to get access to them, you'll have to talk him into it. Maybe with coin. Maybe with violence. Who knows.

Very well then. Try to get him alone in a secluded/private location and convince him to let us do our research.
Stage 1: offer some money and magical services. Up to 50 gold and/or 20 mana worth of spells (using both Ecalir and Darwin's words, and the sunbroer staff, but pretend we just have the relevant words to hide that we have the dominion). Try to haggle of course, don't start out with a maximum offer out the gate.
Stage 2: same offer but we reveal that we are on a quest from the literal gods to try and impress/wow him into acquiescing.
Stage 3: If he still doesn't relent, time for some hard intimidation. Make sure to have collected a bunch of insects and other small animals beforehand and hide them around the meeting location. Then have them swarm around him while having plants grow out of the ground and ensnaring him so he can't run (and gagging him so he can't make a commotion). Then make it clear that we will not allow this guy to stand in the way of our god-given mission, and he can either accept our generous offer and stay silent about it afterwards, or the big terrorbird over there is gonna snack on his entrails.

Should one of these work and we can do our blasted research, look into the following topics:
- Kal-Dune the god of Earth: what was he like, what did he like (so we can bring an offering to his grave), how did he live, how did he die, etc.
- Sibalbia of Mystery: same as above.
- The black flux: the material. I remember it tends to ground mana, right? Can you even use any magic when you dive into that stuff?
- The black flux as a location: how did this tarry sea come into being, what is it like (I believe it has an ecosystem and people scavenge from it?), how do people explore it, stuff like that.
- The society that knew about Sibalbia/venerated her but that sunk into the sludge. 

« Last Edit: September 30, 2020, 08:50:47 am by Radio Controlled »

Pancaek

• Bay Watcher
  • Real stupidity beats artificial intelligence
    • View Profile
« Reply #2921 on: September 30, 2020, 03:30:31 pm »

Follow Darwin's lead on this. Just look like an aloof, regal birb for steps 1 and 2.

Should it come to step 3, make sure the guy gets a good look at my beak up close. Maybe fakeout-peck at him once or twice to really get the intimidation going.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • technical difficulties
    • View Profile
« Reply #2922 on: September 30, 2020, 05:27:26 pm »

Inscribe the [Fire] word on my flesh. Pray for mana.
Set out towards the [Animate] word, somewhere under the river hartshorn.

« Last Edit: September 30, 2020, 07:07:57 pm by Egan_BW »

Devastator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2923 on: October 01, 2020, 10:03:02 pm »

Use my suit to project a temporary force wall in space, in the path of the oncoming stream of war machines. (Uses suit mana) Then, cast a temporary Strengthen Expand Contain spell on the force wall, to get it to bubble all incoming war machines that collide with it, stopping them from arriving here and keeping them all inside a huge bubble, which expands to trap each additional robot that collides with it.  Aim to have it last a half-hour or so, enough time to clear out a good chunk of the inside of the palace/temple and do a quick summoning ritual.

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #2924 on: October 02, 2020, 02:10:53 pm »

Follow Darwin's lead on this. Just look like an aloof, regal birb for steps 1 and 2.

Should it come to step 3, make sure the guy gets a good look at my beak up close. Maybe fakeout-peck at him once or twice to really get the intimidation going.

Not the sprouts! Buy some extra supplies and an extra stash of water then. And maybe a good parasol.

Also get some snacks for our little menagerie!

Very well then. Try to get him alone in a secluded/private location and convince him to let us do our research.
Stage 1: offer some money and magical services. Up to 50 gold and/or 20 mana worth of spells (using both Ecalir and Darwin's words, and the sunbroer staff, but pretend we just have the relevant words to hide that we have the dominion). Try to haggle of course, don't start out with a maximum offer out the gate.
Stage 2: same offer but we reveal that we are on a quest from the literal gods to try and impress/wow him into acquiescing.
Stage 3: If he still doesn't relent, time for some hard intimidation. Make sure to have collected a bunch of insects and other small animals beforehand and hide them around the meeting location. Then have them swarm around him while having plants grow out of the ground and ensnaring him so he can't run (and gagging him so he can't make a commotion). Then make it clear that we will not allow this guy to stand in the way of our god-given mission, and he can either accept our generous offer and stay silent about it afterwards, or the big terrorbird over there is gonna snack on his entrails.

Should one of these work and we can do our blasted research, look into the following topics:
- Kal-Dune the god of Earth: what was he like, what did he like (so we can bring an offering to his grave), how did he live, how did he die, etc.
- Sibalbia of Mystery: same as above.
- The black flux: the material. I remember it tends to ground mana, right? Can you even use any magic when you dive into that stuff?
- The black flux as a location: how did this tarry sea come into being, what is it like (I believe it has an ecosystem and people scavenge from it?), how do people explore it, stuff like that.
- The society that knew about Sibalbia/venerated her but that sunk into the sludge. 

You spend 7 gold on some food, water, and desert goods. Hopefully it will keep you a little less withered.
[1+5v1]
You take the proprietor aside and tell him you want to rent the library for a day and have free access to look at the books. He says he makes 20 gold a day doing these tours and initially refuses. You offer him 30 gold and his tone changes rather rapidly. You get one day of total access.

1. He was apparently jovial and caring, very friendly with all living things and quite hard to anger. When you try to find how he died, you don't find anything; according to records he vanished into the depths of the earth at some point and hadn't been seen since.

2. Very little can be found. She's the oldest sister of the three if the records can be believed, and unlike her siblings she never left the depths of the world, but always remained in something called "The grand divide", which seems to be a giant canyon. The inhabitants of that canyon were as secretive as she was and the entire area was once sealed off. Judging from what you can find, the canyon might be what you know as the "Black Flux" area, just flooded. It would explain the ruins in it.

3. Magic can be used in the black flux but its much harder and will not last for long. The Flux will ground out or deplete the magic rapidly, but through sheer amounts of mana its possible to overcome the effect.

4. The Flux apparently flooded out of the ground one day without warning. There seems to be very little information about how or why it happened; it seems to have just been a cataclysmic event. It apparently happened before the invasion from the east however.

5. They apparently used the "Magic taught by earth" and spoke without words. They're described as paranoid, secretive, and highly communal with very little room for dissent from the norm.  One book describes them as "Men like ants, silent, cooperative, alien in thought and action, but driven by a keen intellect." They apparently originated as attendants of Kal-Dune.

Inscribe the [Fire] word on my flesh. Pray for mana.
Set out towards the [Animate] word, somewhere under the river hartshorn.

Inscribed and refilled.

You follow the instructions you gained and quickly find the spot they describe. Its a simple task for someone with your abilities to sink to the bottom of the river and tear free the oversized pot which carries the image of a man with the tattoo you're looking for.

You do notice one thing as you do this though; In water you feel weaker and your mana slowly drains away. [-20 mana]

Use my suit to project a temporary force wall in space, in the path of the oncoming stream of war machines. (Uses suit mana) Then, cast a temporary Strengthen Expand Contain spell on the force wall, to get it to bubble all incoming war machines that collide with it, stopping them from arriving here and keeping them all inside a huge bubble, which expands to trap each additional robot that collides with it.  Aim to have it last a half-hour or so, enough time to clear out a good chunk of the inside of the palace/temple and do a quick summoning ritual.

(RC pointed out that you might be not deducting mana from spells. Just make sure you're doing that as needed)

Now, I'm gonna stop ya there because I think you don't understand whats going on because I didn't explain it well enough.

Imagine to asteroids in space, Asteroid A and Asteroid B. Between these two big asteroids are a lot of little asteroids, all spread between them and around them and all over the place. You are on asteroid A, the Hive is over there on asteroid B. Now  they're coming to you by hoping between the smaller asteroids and basically hurling themselves in at you.

You can put up a wall in front of the path of the current robugs and as long as they don't have any other asteroids to grab hold of between their last jump and the wall, they'll hit it. But the ones behind them, they'll just see what happened and course correct to go around the wall. In order to form a barrier that completely blocks off the building, you'd need to basically encapsulate the entire building itself in the shield. Which we can try...I mean I haven't rolled a d1000 yet, might be fun.  But I think you might have more success trying to bottle neck them somehow before forming the shield. Maybe using the door on the building? Or try to make them lose sight of you so you can do what you need to while they search?

I just don't think your current method will go well and I don't want to drop the industrial ant nest on you because I didn't explain the situation right.
Pages: 1 ... 193 194 [195] 196 197 ... 203