Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 198 199 [200] 201 202 203

Author Topic: Cabal: Wizard Open World Game  (Read 342646 times)

Devastator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Cabal: Wizard Open World Game
« Reply #2985 on: November 29, 2020, 12:10:30 pm »

Go summon a magical buffing disease to infect myself, via d10 Permanent Disease Strengthen, tuned to improve my Will.  Spend a few days observing the effects and the degree of control I have over it, mostly to watch out for side effects, and estimate how fast it's going.

Spoiler: Saeko Hirahara (click to show/hide)

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #2986 on: December 01, 2020, 09:47:53 am »

Take and equip the wings from Darwin if he makes them.

Then venture forth into the darkness. Use my spear as a blind cane to feel where the floor is (and more importantly isn't) as we go. If I don't have my spear with me, try using my extendo noodle arms instead. If that doesn't work either, use "Wood" to summon a stick to use

Spoiler:  Écalir Speedwagon (click to show/hide)
1. They appear to have no books, at least not books as you know them. But she does indicate there are things that are somewhat analogous. Knowledge is something they do consider valuable and worth trading.
And what are these things exactly?

3.  She indicates there are 3 things which they will trade readily here: Knowledge, Time, and Value.  Knowledge is self explanatory. Time...seems to have multiple connotations. Labor, servitude, or any action which takes the time of the trader. But there is also something more primal there; time in its essence, trading of years of life.  The third, value, is much harder to grasp. It seems, as best you can tell, to equate to something like social standing?  That an individual has a worth or value, and that they can trade or accumulate it. A sort of invisible social currency. You cannot tell, immediately, what determines it.
We don’t really have the time to hang around here much, and trading away life years seems iffy. Similarly, not sure what status we have that we could trade with, does being the emissaries/successors of Alizarin and Excata count for anything?

Knowledge we could trade though. We could share with them our magic words, if there are any word-wizards among them.
We also have books on the following topics, are any of these of interest to them?

book on normal plants and animals
book on magical plants and animals/creatures
handbook on making weapons&armor, including a list of known types
a detailed account of the Artifacter war
map of the old world
good quality book&pen
good history book
series of good maps of area around Alkahest and the volcano
large collection of books on gods and history and cultures 'n such
book about Mechanist war and the Mechanists in general,
book about the other "Natures" of magic, ie the systems that those taught by gods other than Tel-cal learned
a large translation dictionary of various languages.

Also, question: we don’t have the books on us right now, but they are in our stash back topside. Could Ecalir use his ‘multiply’ word to copy them like he did before, even if the original is not right in front of him? (Assume we want the copy to appear here obviously). Note that it was a d6 spell previously.

You shine the lantern at the darkness and nothing comes through. Your guide seems to indicate that these are shadows made by the goddess of secrets: they are as impenetrable to sight as solid stone. You ask her if they are dangerous and she gives you a somewhat mixed response. On their own, no, but their blinding effect can place one in danger. You put your hand through and feel around. The stone floor continues, as it did before, but near the edges of the doorway you feel the floor abruptly end in an edge. Its like this on both sides: a stone walkway with cliffs on either side.  You ask if the darkness continues past just this doorway and the guide does the mental equivalent of shrug.

Summon some extra strong rope with my word. Attach it securely somewhere in the lit area, then to Ecalir and Darwin. If we managed to bring our biometal, shape them into a set of wings for Ecalir if he wants them, if not then don't. Grow myself a pair of planty wings with the sunbroer staff though if possible.

Then, we venture forth! Try to keep a mental map of where we are going, and if possible attach the rope to some rock outcropping from time to time.   

1. She describes them as being similar to the grave you visited and you get a mental image of a crystal like the one you saw
2. You have a fair bit of value; you are a novel being here and you are in service to the gods. Both things have value.
3.You offer the words you have along with your books. She basically says that they are more interested in trading knowledge through this kind of "talking" or using those crystal things. They cannot read your text. Its also way too dark to read down here.
4. You could, but it would be a lot harder than if you had them near you. A lot harder.
5. -4 mana. -15 mana. -3 mana. [6+2v6] [9+2v9] You both wander through the absolute darkness for a while, carefully making sure not to go tumbling off a ledge as you do. It takes about an hour of wandering to get a good mental image of the place: its not a straight line  or even just a curving singular path. Its a maze of passages and walkways, and not an easy one to decipher either. You use your rope and each other as landmarks, carefully mapping things out and trying different passages and routes until finally Eclair's spear taps against another doorway. He sticks a robot limb through and when it doesn't melt or get torn off puts his head through. The room beyond the doorway is simple: a square cut space in what appears to be solid, polished stone. At the far side across from them is what looks like a large slab imbedded in the wall with something engraved on it. Words by the look of it but even with their best squinting neither can make them out from here.

Go summon a magical buffing disease to infect myself, via d10 Permanent Disease Strengthen, tuned to improve my Will.  Spend a few days observing the effects and the degree of control I have over it, mostly to watch out for side effects, and estimate how fast it's going.

[19+5v4]-4 mana.

Hmm Well your will would advance to d12 in about a week.  Getting it up to d20 though, with a d10 disease probably won't work. You'll need a d20 disease to do that. Or one that has some sort of downside or something. Otherwise we might as well just be rolling d10 and then losing vague periods of time to level up infinitely.

Pancaek

• Bay Watcher
  • Real stupidity beats artificial intelligence
    • View Profile
« Reply #2987 on: December 02, 2020, 05:18:05 am »

Head through the doorway and into the room. Check around for traps/horrible beasties/other things we couldn't see from the doorway.

If I don't spot anything horrible, motion to Darwin to come in too.

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
  • Morals? Ethics? Conscience? HA!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2988 on: December 02, 2020, 02:52:21 pm »

Guess we'll table the trading talk till later now.

Follow birdboy's lead.

If nothing explodes, follow in and read the text. Use lantern if needed.

« Last Edit: December 02, 2020, 02:54:48 pm by Radio Controlled »

Einsteinian Roulette Wiki
Quote from: you know who you are
21:26   <XYZ>: I know nothing about this, but I have strong opinions about it.
Fucking hell, you guys are worse than the demons.

Devastator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2989 on: December 02, 2020, 11:31:23 pm »

Okay, time for some last preparations before going back to space.  This turn, I'll work on my body.

Use the disease bladder to put the will-boosting disease under wraps, keeping only the existing boost.

Use three infections on self, one with a d10 disease intending to strengthen strength, one to strengthen speed (this one with an extra speed word), and one to strengthen weapons, intended to boost the damage dice with my natural weapons.

Second, I'd like to add more mass.  I'd like to fill the mothmobile, and that could carry garage-sized benedict + most of the loot of the ruins of gravid, so there's more room there.  Buy a cow or two, and use several d12 Strengthen Grow spells to produce the mass I'd need to reach about twice that of a t-rex, so about twenty tons of cow.  Absorb the cows into self with the biomodder.

How bad are the symptoms after a week, and what are the new stats?

Next post I'll cover the gear changes, which would be done over that week.

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #2990 on: December 04, 2020, 05:35:53 pm »

Guess we'll table the trading talk till later now.

Follow birdboy's lead.

If nothing explodes, follow in and read the text. Use lantern if needed.

Head through the doorway and into the room. Check around for traps/horrible beasties/other things we couldn't see from the doorway.

If I don't spot anything horrible, motion to Darwin to come in too.

After a great deal of trepidation and checking and nervous tip toeing forward the pair of you decide that this room is secure enough and check the slab with the writing on it.
[6] Darwin examines the writing. It appears to be 13 words, though every word is written in a different language and some in entirely different alphabets or symbols. One is a pictogram even.

Okay, time for some last preparations before going back to space.  This turn, I'll work on my body.

Use the disease bladder to put the will-boosting disease under wraps, keeping only the existing boost.

Use three infections on self, one with a d10 disease intending to strengthen strength, one to strengthen speed (this one with an extra speed word), and one to strengthen weapons, intended to boost the damage dice with my natural weapons.

Second, I'd like to add more mass.  I'd like to fill the mothmobile, and that could carry garage-sized benedict + most of the loot of the ruins of gravid, so there's more room there.  Buy a cow or two, and use several d12 Strengthen Grow spells to produce the mass I'd need to reach about twice that of a t-rex, so about twenty tons of cow.  Absorb the cows into self with the biomodder.

How bad are the symptoms after a week, and what are the new stats?

Next post I'll cover the gear changes, which would be done over that week.

1. Ok.
2.[1,1,6] So -8 mana. 
3. 101 mana to fully use up both giant cows. You are now...I don't have an animal large enough to compare to. You barely fit in the moth plane though. So barely you'll probably need some time to wiggle out.
4. We can assume you get to d12 on both and damage from weapons. Did you want to let them keep festering and try to go beyond?  If so Y....There is one symptom, Bruising. Reduces your armor by 1 level. You'd get up to d12+2 (plus whatever your current+ is)

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2991 on: December 05, 2020, 01:01:54 pm »

After a great deal of trepidation and checking and nervous tip toeing forward the pair of you decide that this room is secure enough and check the slab with the writing on it.
[6] Darwin examines the writing. It appears to be 13 words, though every word is written in a different language and some in entirely different alphabets or symbols. One is a pictogram even.

Start translating! Use the large translation dictionary we copied earlier (we took the book with us, see here: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=163892.msg8203731#msg8203731)

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #2992 on: December 07, 2020, 09:20:14 am »

Getting my wisdom teeth out today. Not sure when I'll be back to posting. See you whenever I feel less shitty.

Devastator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2993 on: December 07, 2020, 11:48:53 pm »

Keep the diseases rolling, at least for now.  All these orders should have been done during the last few days of waiting around, it's the gear changes before going back to space.

Finish up my armour, resizing it to fit, same with the spirit-infused thaumic fighter-breastplate thingy.  If possible, do two more things:

Extend the fighter into some kinda full-body platemail suit, instead of just a breastplate.

Use Strengthen Steel to convert the base material from that weird Thaumic stuff into actual protective armour.  Try this on a small part first to make sure it doesn't hurt the spirit.

If that works, aim to get something better than ordinary magebreaker armour, which should be possible between great size and magic cloth underlayer.

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #2994 on: December 11, 2020, 11:53:36 am »

Start translating! Use the large translation dictionary we copied earlier (we took the book with us, see here: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=163892.msg8203731#msg8203731)

[8v1]
The translation is surprisingly easy with the book; it only takes about 10 minutes of flipping through, finding the right language and then the right word. Here is what you believe it says.

"Beyond Lies The  Library Of Shadows. Knowledge is the key and the reward."

Keep the diseases rolling, at least for now.  All these orders should have been done during the last few days of waiting around, it's the gear changes before going back to space.

Finish up my armour, resizing it to fit, same with the spirit-infused thaumic fighter-breastplate thingy.  If possible, do two more things:

Extend the fighter into some kinda full-body platemail suit, instead of just a breastplate.

Use Strengthen Steel to convert the base material from that weird Thaumic stuff into actual protective armour.  Try this on a small part first to make sure it doesn't hurt the spirit.

If that works, aim to get something better than ordinary magebreaker armour, which should be possible between great size and magic cloth underlayer.

Ok.
Ok.
That...would require either a lot more material or a lot of magic to create more material. Going from breastplate to full armor suit when you're the size of a moderate palatial estate is quite an expanse.
You can do this and it won't harm the spirit (that moves through the wires) but it will remove any magical protective qualities the armor has. Assuming we're talking about the silvery armor. That silvery armor's magical protection comes from redirection and absorption, which are properties of the metal.

Devastator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2995 on: December 12, 2020, 10:40:34 am »

Squeeze myself into the moth-plane, and return to the space realm.  See what's happened in my absence, between the sky goddess creatures and the mechanist hive.

« Last Edit: December 12, 2020, 10:44:03 am by Devastator »

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2996 on: December 12, 2020, 11:54:27 am »

[8v1]
The translation is surprisingly easy with the book; it only takes about 10 minutes of flipping through, finding the right language and then the right word. Here is what you believe it says.

Coolio. So first, look the room over for clues or peculiarities.

Also think about what we know about the goddess and what we read about her, was this room ever mentioned?

Consider if perhaps the way to gain entrance is to offer up a new piece of knowledge/a secret that is not already known, like a trade of sorts.

Oh, and also mentally shout "Knowledge!" just in case this is a Doors of Durin situation. 

« Last Edit: December 12, 2020, 11:58:06 am by Radio Controlled »

Pancaek

• Bay Watcher
  • Real stupidity beats artificial intelligence
    • View Profile
« Reply #2997 on: December 12, 2020, 01:09:18 pm »

As Darwin does his thing in actually figuring this out, Ecalir will do his own birdbarian investigation. He will lick the slab to see what it tastes like.

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #2998 on: December 15, 2020, 10:57:10 am »

As Darwin does his thing in actually figuring this out, Ecalir will do his own birdbarian investigation. He will lick the slab to see what it tastes like.

[8v1]

Coolio. So first, look the room over for clues or peculiarities.

Also think about what we know about the goddess and what we read about her, was this room ever mentioned?

Consider if perhaps the way to gain entrance is to offer up a new piece of knowledge/a secret that is not already known, like a trade of sorts.

Oh, and also mentally shout "Knowledge!" just in case this is a Doors of Durin situation. 

[2v9][6+2v8]
The room is almost entirely empty. The only things in it are dust and two pieces of paper crumpled up in one corner. Examination of the paper reveals it to be two pages torn from a book. Seems to be a novel or maybe a biography, but the two pages you have aren't very elucidating in terms of what it was about. They mostly talk about the childhood of a man named "Zernius of Kaolin".

This room was never mentioned in what you've heard about the goddess.

This seems like a reasonable interpretation of the inscription.

You shout "Knowledge" in several different languages and none of them work. Worth a shot.

Eclair thinks about the puzzle. When that produces nothing but pain he licks the door. That produces a rocky taste.

Squeeze myself into the moth-plane, and return to the space realm.  See what's happened in my absence, between the sky goddess creatures and the mechanist hive.

The long and short of it is that the Angels seem to have been wiped out, though not without doing significant damage. The hive has literally been cracked in half and the two pieces are slowly orbiting each other. There is a hell of a lot of dead angel and destroyed machinery floating around, but you can still see a pretty fair amount of robots still swarming in that hive and here and there among the ruins. Less though, far less.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • technical difficulties
    • View Profile
« Reply #2999 on: December 15, 2020, 11:19:31 am »

Oh boy, better get off my ass. The other players are advancing their quests while I just sit around and squander my power lead~

Swoop back down the hole I made and return to the people down there. Report that I found what appears to be this vehicle's commander but that it's on roughly equal footing with me and I need help dismantling it. If people agree to help me fight and need help getting there, give them wings like my own.

Spoiler: ... (click to show/hide)
Insatiable consumption. Ceaseless motion. Unstoppable destruction.
Pages: 1 ... 198 199 [200] 201 202 203