Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 31 32 [33] 34 35 ... 203

Author Topic: Cabal: Wizard Open World Game  (Read 343333 times)

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
  • Morals? Ethics? Conscience? HA!
    • View Profile
Re: Cabal: The Death of Magic
« Reply #480 on: July 23, 2017, 04:35:50 pm »

Rufus and Darwin discuss the nature of the cave and where to go. The path here is forked; one way is to climb down to the river below, but there could very easily be no place to stand down there; just a stony tube filled with rushing water. The other way is to climb sideways across the walls of this cavern, above the chasm, and get to the other side. There might be a more safe way down. Rufus says he prefers the second option.

Suggest we first take a little break, I think it's been quite a few hours by now. Grab a bite and maybe take turns taking a nap? Ask Rufus what language the cave salamanders speak and what they're like while it's our turn to take watch (assuming Ecalir wants to have guard duty with his lady friend).

For going down: second option is fine by me. Usual procedure. Once on the other side, check if there's an easy/safe way down to the water. If yes then go down and have a look around. Then go back up and continue through the cave.

Be sure to add to the map from now on as we travel.

Spoiler: Darwin Zeppeli (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: July 23, 2017, 04:42:16 pm by Radio Controlled »

Einsteinian Roulette Wiki
Quote from: you know who you are
21:26   <XYZ>: I know nothing about this, but I have strong opinions about it.
Fucking hell, you guys are worse than the demons.

syvarris

• Bay Watcher
  • UNICORNPEGASUSKITTEN
    • View Profile
« Reply #481 on: July 24, 2017, 06:57:32 am »

Hrrrm.  No organized religion or central place of worship, then?

...Screw it.  I'll just go to the center of the town and start preaching to the masses like a crazy person.  Zerthel Zentol's creed, to be specific; see below for the blurb I wrote up to recruit players.  I don't want to quote it verbatim, instead just babbling about a bunch of similar stuff, slanted towards the local animism.

Spoiler: Blurb (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Charsheet (click to show/hide)

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #482 on: July 30, 2017, 12:38:09 pm »

"It's not so much handing out, more that with things so dangerous here, I wouldn't want to be carrying around money."

"Thanks for the advice, though, I think I might well continue moving along, if that's okay with you.  What sort of town is Crocus like, and what would be the fare?"

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
"Woodcutters formerly; there used to be forest around them. They still cut down the dead trees but they've turned their efforts towards building a quarry and exporting cut stone. But their biggest export is chitin and meat; they raise megabeetles." He scratches his head "People in the Sands use them instead of horses or cattle. Strange critters, barely eat or drink but they're strong and durable. I can't abide em though, ain't like a horse. They're alien in thought and action. A horse you can pat and praise and scold. Beetle don't understand any of it. Just sits there and stares.

If you wanna ride along, we'll take you for a few silver pieces. Our route is getting easier at this point; deeper into the kingdom you got more amenities, more food and such. Easier to take a passenger. "

Create the sculpture.

Spoiler: Moghorn (click to show/hide)

You assemble the sculpture in a daze, almost as though you aren't even doing it, as though something is simply working through you. You can only tell how much time has passed because of the steady progress of the night turning into day. You finish some 6 or 7 hours later, just as the sun is starting to truely take its place in the sky. The statue is a rod of a kind, about 3 feet long and made of the living bronze that has been worked into a fine diamond patteren mesh or latice in the overall shape of a rounded rod. Within the thin cage of the rod is the snake; its color has changed to pure and perfect red and its tongue, which it holds out through the mesh, cares a tiny flame between the forks. The flame is only about as big as that of a match but it is constant and, oddly, always points away from the staff, regardless of the direction you hold it, seemingly uneffected by gravity. The vertebrae, well, one of them, forms a sort of handguard about 8 inches up the length of the rod and it is carefully held in place by more woven bronze. As you stare at the scuplture the snake suddenly begins to wriggle, and the cage moves with it, and the flame grows huge and multi-luminous with color. It settles back down a moment later. You feel suddenly as though you understand several things.

You have gained the following words:
Wax
Copper
Dirt
Fire
Snake

Rufus and Darwin discuss the nature of the cave and where to go. The path here is forked; one way is to climb down to the river below, but there could very easily be no place to stand down there; just a stony tube filled with rushing water. The other way is to climb sideways across the walls of this cavern, above the chasm, and get to the other side. There might be a more safe way down. Rufus says he prefers the second option.

Suggest we first take a little break, I think it's been quite a few hours by now. Grab a bite and maybe take turns taking a nap? Ask Rufus what language the cave salamanders speak and what they're like while it's our turn to take watch (assuming Ecalir wants to have guard duty with his lady friend).

For going down: second option is fine by me. Usual procedure. Once on the other side, check if there's an easy/safe way down to the water. If yes then go down and have a look around. Then go back up and continue through the cave.

Be sure to add to the map from now on as we travel.

Rufus accepts a break but goes around personally and puts out all but one latern first. He states, with some gravity, that every ounce of oil is worth 10 times its weight in blood down here. He aludes, obliquely, to having some very personal experience with escaping a cave without light and the truly terrible experience that is. Everyone relaxes and you ask Rufus about the Cave Salamanders, the Olmen.

He says that they speak several languages, depending on the one you meet. "They're old, you see. Not as a people, I mean, but as individuals. There's not much food down here you see so they take turns being awake. Like taking turns on watch but for years or decades at a time before they switch out. I don't know how big their actual population is but most of them speak dead languages, along with current ones, and I've heard tell they seem to have first hand knowledge of things hundreds of years in the past, maybe more.

They're a shrewd bunch; amiable and reasonably kind but survivalists at heart.  You can trade with them; they like food and certain services that require sight, but they have no use for gold or treasure unless its practical. Biggest use I've ever found for them is that they'll freely trade in things like oil or abyssal whale oil. They have no use for it."

Once everyone is rested, Eclair is sent out to crawl sideways across the rocks until he reaches the other side. He ties a rope around his waist and shoulders in a sort of harness and ties it off to a large stone. Good thing too because he slips halfway there the first time and is only saved by that lifeline. The second attempt is more successful and he rigs up a rope across the chasm. The rest of the team climbs across via the rope and finds themselves on a large, very smooth plain that is sloping downward gently. Its clearly water worn and my have been the river's path before that chasm was made. As the team advances and the map is added to, they find something maybe 50 feet from the edge of the chasm.

They see it first as a glint of silver, like a fish in a river, but as they get closer it becomes obvious that the glint was just a reflection off pale flesh. Laying, dead, near the middle of the plain is an Olman. He is, in a way, beautiful. His head is his largest part, with the rest of his body getting progressively thinner until it ends in a long pointed tail; like an elongated raindrop or tadpole. He has four thin limbs with rounded finger and toe tips, and a frill of dull pink gill flesh around his neck. His head is almost spherical, with sign of eyes, tiny slit nostrils and pale lips parted to reveal a double row of tiny, very sharp, teeth. He has ear holes and a second divot above them, but his head is otherwise smooth and featureless. He'd stand about 5 feet tall, if he were alive.

The creature's thin and graceful looking limbs have been badly broken and its chest is crushed in. Rufus looks at the creature with somber eyes and then begins looking around and lowering himself down into a ready crouch.

"This isn't right." he whispers. "Something killed this but didn't eat it. You don't waste food in a cave."

Hrrrm.  No organized religion or central place of worship, then?

...Screw it.  I'll just go to the center of the town and start preaching to the masses like a crazy person.  Zerthel Zentol's creed, to be specific; see below for the blurb I wrote up to recruit players.  I don't want to quote it verbatim, instead just babbling about a bunch of similar stuff, slanted towards the local animism.

Spoiler: Blurb (click to show/hide)

There are larger shrines but no church or set time of Worship for everyone to show up and listen to a particular person.

You walk to the middle of town, or more accurately the largest and most frequented part of the dock area, and begin shouting out a rhetoric of ascention. Namely you state that the local adherence to animalism and shamanistic practices is merely the first level of the search for real power. You say that their belief is strong but primitive, that there are levels of understanding and force far beyond what they know and that with your help they can reach and unlock these plateus of power. You subtly imply that their animalism is lesser than the magic of Alkahest, but in a way that seems...faintly conspiratorial. As though you are going to give them something others do not want them to have.

The rambling goes astoundingly well actually and before long you have a crowd of about 20 or 30 people very interested in what you're saying.

Devastator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #483 on: July 30, 2017, 01:07:06 pm »

"Sounds like a good place then, quarrying and foresting are both hazardous jobs.  I'll be happy to pay to come along."

Pay to head to Crocus

« Last Edit: August 02, 2017, 05:53:03 pm by Devastator »

Beirus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #484 on: July 30, 2017, 03:07:32 pm »

Go see if there is anything interesting in the library. Books on beasts, magic, ancient places, lore, history, you know, the sort of stuff that might lead to a neat side quest to find magical artifacts of great power or something.

Spoiler: Aurum (click to show/hide)
Because everything is Megaman when you have an arm cannon.

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
  • You know me. What do I know?
    • View Profile
« Reply #485 on: July 30, 2017, 03:19:40 pm »

Experiment a little with the sculpture, trying to see if I can control the flame. Can I, for example, create a large flame at will? A constant spray of flame? Launch a fireball? If this all costs mana, stop experimenting and assess how much.

Invigorated by the mania of creation, work out what I need for my next sculpture.

This has been a slow starter, but it's really getting going for me now. Will be taking on assistants, if I cross anyone's path.
One wheel short of a wagon

Lenglon

• Bay Watcher
  • Everyone cries, the question is what follows it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #486 on: July 31, 2017, 11:47:01 am »

"Well, I suppose traveling with the next delegation you send would serve me well. When does it go and where should I go to travel with them?"
and after being told a place/time to meet up, spend some time learning about their beliefs and their god. They're priests, they'll probably be absolutely delighted to talk about their god. so lets listen and learn some.
Spoiler: Nina (click to show/hide)
((I don't think heating something that is right above us to a ridiculous degree is very smart. Worst case scenario we become +metal statues+. This is a finely crafted metal statue. It is encrusted with sharkmist and HMRC. On the item is an image of HMRC and Pancaek. Pancaek is laughing. The HMRC is melting. The artwork relates to the encasing of the HMRC in metal by Pancaek during the Mission of Many People.))

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #487 on: August 01, 2017, 04:14:25 pm »

Follow him in the crouch, maybe get in cover if any nearby. Urge other two teammates to do so as well, then use my senses to try and detect if anything is nearby or incoming. If nothing comes up after a while, slowly walk over to the body (but let Écalir take point) and examine the corpse. Try to determine cause of death and ask Rufus if he knows what might have done this.

If this went through without trouble, ask Rufus whether the Dolmen would take offense if I dissected the corpse, or if they'd be grateful if we brought it back to them. They don't seem to view the body as special given they eat it, but best to check either way.

syvarris

• Bay Watcher
  • UNICORNPEGASUSKITTEN
    • View Profile
« Reply #488 on: August 02, 2017, 01:13:26 pm »

Start the audience participation.  Call out individuals who look particularly strong and powerful, and bring up how that exemplifies the people of Zaffre; they're powerful and resourceful, like the greatest beasts.  Then, contrast with Alkahest--the nobles of Alkahest are weak, their bodies frail, but they are gifted with the powers of clever manipulation, using deceitful tools like politics to control a massive empire that stretches across the world.

Of course, say that neither group, neither animists or nobility, is superior to the other.  The greatest person isn't one who takes pride in being talented at what they already do--it's the one who sees where their peers' talents lie, and learns how to use those talents.  Great power is only unstoppable when it's carefully used, rationed out until it's needed, just as constant reliance on cleverness and manipulation inevitably fails eventually.  The people of Zaffre, if they ever want to rise higher and become greater than they are, need to learn from the others in this world.  They must accept both their flaws and their strengths, and then learn to overcome the former in order to bolster the latter.

TL;DR: Tell them that they're musclebound idiots being subjugated by manipulative bastards, so they need to be lead by a different manipulative bastard who's smarter than them, like me.  Just, more subtly than that.

...And, uh, if the empath mana-drain can be used to get even a little mana from a crowd of people without being obvious, do that.  Fingers crossed.

Pancaek

• Bay Watcher
  • Real stupidity beats artificial intelligence
    • View Profile
« Reply #489 on: August 02, 2017, 04:11:22 pm »

Follow along with Darwin's plan. Be ready to defend my companions with my mighty spear should an assailant present itself.

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #490 on: August 06, 2017, 02:17:11 pm »

"Sounds like a good place then, quarrying and foresting are both hazardous jobs.  I'll be happy to pay to come along."

Pay to head to Crocus

They take your money but tell you they won't be moving on for a day or two more.  You can either hold up with them and wait or do something for a day or two. Either way is fine with them.

Go see if there is anything interesting in the library. Books on beasts, magic, ancient places, lore, history, you know, the sort of stuff that might lead to a neat side quest to find magical artifacts of great power or something.

Spoiler: Aurum (click to show/hide)

You head to the library. The building itself is actually another temple; one created for a god whose name is quite complex in the symbols used to write it, but you find out is prounced something like "Pine". A god of knowledge and scholars as it turns out, or at least one of the gods that rules those domains. A quick browse of the local religious texts makes it extermely obvious that there are far too many gods here to keep track of and an average of 2 dozen kept domain over any particular thing. More if it was something important. You find 47 in charge of love.  The temple itself is a wonderful place for any bibliophile; a towering stone building, 5 stories high, it is basically a series of stone squares stacked atop one another with a hollow center and a courtyard at the bottom. From any level, if you walk to the middle, you can see down or up onto the other levels and onto the courtyard. There are large glass windows along the walls and a skylight in the ceiling to let light down onto the courtyard. Floor to ceiling book cases of heavy and dark wood seem to be holding up the books and the ceiling to an equal degree.

You search around; there's a great deal here to see and you just go about grabbing any books that look interesting and taking them to a desk. You create a nice pile and then start flipping through them one by one. You learn a great deal but in terms of things that might lead to interesting adventures useful to an alchemist, you find something in particular. Old records talk about a city in the Fulminating Sands, one that used to be the seat of power of another god king. It was a kingdom known for its great wealth apparently, and there are drawings of golden idols with jewel eyes and jade mosaics and treasure vaults of massive size.  The records say the city "T'was sunk neath the oils and snuffed out"  Still, might be worth looking into.

Experiment a little with the sculpture, trying to see if I can control the flame. Can I, for example, create a large flame at will? A constant spray of flame? Launch a fireball? If this all costs mana, stop experimenting and assess how much.

Invigorated by the mania of creation, work out what I need for my next sculpture.

This has been a slow starter, but it's really getting going for me now. Will be taking on assistants, if I cross anyone's path.
You play with the sculpture a bit and find that you can, by squeezing the tail of the serpent in its cage, produce a spray of flame. It does not seem to take any mana and can get up to a 15 foot stream of flame when pointed horizontally.

The following items are needed
Some Black Flux
a lot Human blood
Alchemist's tools
A gallon of mercury
Contained lightning
a fist sized crystal.

"Well, I suppose traveling with the next delegation you send would serve me well. When does it go and where should I go to travel with them?"
and after being told a place/time to meet up, spend some time learning about their beliefs and their god. They're priests, they'll probably be absolutely delighted to talk about their god. so lets listen and learn some.
Spoiler: Nina (click to show/hide)
The Next delgation being sent out is in 6 days, so you volunteer to join it.  You feel that Adam is both pleased and very worried.

They talk at length, but the gist is this:
1. The origin of the world and life is unknowable and the god in the lake isn't it.
2. The god in the lake is a very powerful entity, who has decided to live in the lake and blesses the creatures and men near his home.
3. He always lies, but lies in a very specific way. He says the exact opposite of what he actually means or what the truth is. It means that you always have to speak in a sort of confusing reverse psychology sort of way to him.
4. The fish peoples are in a covenant with the people of the land; they give the people of the land everything they need to survive so long as the people of the land believe and bring new converts to care for the underwater temples. The fish people will even willingly bake themselves into a stew for humans to eat, if the need to do so. They've done it in the past and seemed quite cheerful about it.
5. The fish do many things that aren't understood, but thats fine because we know they're good fish...people.

In all this seems less a religion and more some sort of partnership wrapped in the guise of faith. The only real tenents seem to be belief in the god of the lake, doing what the fish people say, and not questioning anything.

Follow along with Darwin's plan. Be ready to defend my companions with my mighty spear should an assailant present itself.

Follow him in the crouch, maybe get in cover if any nearby. Urge other two teammates to do so as well, then use my senses to try and detect if anything is nearby or incoming. If nothing comes up after a while, slowly walk over to the body (but let Écalir take point) and examine the corpse. Try to determine cause of death and ask Rufus if he knows what might have done this.

If this went through without trouble, ask Rufus whether the Dolmen would take offense if I dissected the corpse, or if they'd be grateful if we brought it back to them. They don't seem to view the body as special given they eat it, but best to check either way.

Everyone drops into a low crouch as Darwin scans the area with his lamp and listens very carefully. After a few seconds he stops  and stares directly up, above their heads. There's a slight smell here, a sort of fresh fishy smell, like brine and salt water. And when the light hits the roof he can see the reflection of dampness across the entire expanse except in one small patch. He can't make out why that patch doesn't reflect light, because it looks no different than the areas around it, but he sees just barely what looks like some sort of growth up there. It looks like a slivery-blue lump about the size of a fist with very thin tendrils growing out of it. It looks, strangely, like its  not actually attached to the ceiling but is instead hovering maybe 3 or 4 feet from it.

Darwin, as quietly and subtly as possible nudges Rufus and indicates the ceiling. Rufus glances up, then back down and whispers, "Run."

Start the audience participation.  Call out individuals who look particularly strong and powerful, and bring up how that exemplifies the people of Zaffre; they're powerful and resourceful, like the greatest beasts.  Then, contrast with Alkahest--the nobles of Alkahest are weak, their bodies frail, but they are gifted with the powers of clever manipulation, using deceitful tools like politics to control a massive empire that stretches across the world.

Of course, say that neither group, neither animists or nobility, is superior to the other.  The greatest person isn't one who takes pride in being talented at what they already do--it's the one who sees where their peers' talents lie, and learns how to use those talents.  Great power is only unstoppable when it's carefully used, rationed out until it's needed, just as constant reliance on cleverness and manipulation inevitably fails eventually.  The people of Zaffre, if they ever want to rise higher and become greater than they are, need to learn from the others in this world.  They must accept both their flaws and their strengths, and then learn to overcome the former in order to bolster the latter.

TL;DR: Tell them that they're musclebound idiots being subjugated by manipulative bastards, so they need to be lead by a different manipulative bastard who's smarter than them, like me.  Just, more subtly than that.

...And, uh, if the empath mana-drain can be used to get even a little mana from a crowd of people without being obvious, do that.  Fingers crossed.

You continue your sermon, bringing several of the largest men up and praising them for a bit before pointing out their flaws and then laying down their need to understand and manipulate their talents as well as the talents of others who seek to manipulate them. The general murmer in the crowd is one of agreement, both in the fact that Zaffre people are strong and that the Alki's are smart and abusing them. They seem very interested in learning a way around this. You drain 10 mana off of the crowd as you wander among them, continuing to preach as you do.

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #491 on: August 06, 2017, 04:07:38 pm »

Darwin, as quietly and subtly as possible nudges Rufus and indicates the ceiling. Rufus glances up, then back down and whispers, "Run."

Make like a tree and leave! All quiet like, also like a tree. Make the need for tree-making clear to our other two companions through silent gesturing (a bit un-tree-like, but an acceptable deviation given the circumstances).

« Last Edit: August 06, 2017, 04:09:15 pm by Radio Controlled »

Pancaek

• Bay Watcher
  • Real stupidity beats artificial intelligence
    • View Profile
« Reply #492 on: August 06, 2017, 04:19:59 pm »

Join Darwin in bravely running away all quiet like, I ain't dealing with no ceiling shenanigans. Also gesture the plan to skedaddle silently to the girl, in the case she hasn't seen yet.

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
  • You know me. What do I know?
    • View Profile
« Reply #493 on: August 07, 2017, 04:06:28 am »

Right. Time to work out what I know about the ingredients.
Is it likely that anyone would ever sell black flux, or that it would be found anywhere other than the massive source?
Contained lightning: do I know what it is?
Fist-sized crystal: crystal as in molecules in a lattice, or crystal as in the stuff Seath has instead of blood plasma? I.e. Science crystals or magic crystals?
A gallon of mecury: would anyone actually have this much mercury? Say, an alchemist?
Alchemist's tools: are these tools used by an alchemist, or the sort of tools an alchemist would use? Could I buy them from a shop, or do I have to rob/bribe an alchemist?

In any case, set off towards Ulmin.

One wheel short of a wagon

syvarris

• Bay Watcher
  • UNICORNPEGASUSKITTEN
    • View Profile
« Reply #494 on: August 11, 2017, 01:11:51 pm »

First up, put that ten mana into leveling Will immediately.  It's the one stat I've been able to abuse, so I'm doubling down on it.  Already made the change to my charsheet.

As for my action, start toning things down and bringing the preaching to a close.  Emphasize that there is a lot more to be said about Zaffre and its place in the world, far too much to be given and digested in one day; for now, the audience needs to consider and think on their own time.  Another sermon will be given tomorrow, after this old man has had time to rest.  Then do a little mingling before leaving--the last thing I want to do is find one of the bulkier people who were brought forward, preferably one who was really into the sermon, and quietly ask him to accompany me and talk personally.  Need to find an NPC bodyguard now that I don't have PCs for that.

Pages: 1 ... 31 32 [33] 34 35 ... 203