Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 51 52 [53] 54 55 ... 203

Author Topic: Cabal: Wizard Open World Game  (Read 343149 times)

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • what about full of shit? is that a meme too?
    • View Profile
Re: Cabal: The Death of Magic
« Reply #780 on: February 04, 2018, 04:38:17 pm »

Dolmen do eat meat, right? Wouldn't want to summon up some edible viscera only for them to not want to trade for it.
And um, While the talking bit is happening, I'll be doing some exploring. So we can grab those tablets and get out of the cave someday.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
I live how my maker made me.
Broken broken tip to tail.

randomgenericusername

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #781 on: February 04, 2018, 06:57:15 pm »

Continue waiting.
Spoiler: Randolf Osborn (click to show/hide)
The dog behind the man behind the beard.
Immortality like that would be even more game breaking than four Aaron's in one place.
You're both so obviously scum that this is a surprisingly difficult decision.

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #782 on: February 05, 2018, 12:43:09 am »

Devastator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #783 on: February 05, 2018, 01:55:36 pm »

Hmm, this doesn't seem like normal anger.  Maybe something else is wrong with this guy.

Have the guards hold him down while I go for a hug.  Maybe that'll draw out the anger if it's magically induced.  Try again to calm the man down with words, too.  Hopefully I can figure out why he's so angry.  I don't have his money.

If he doesn't calm down, have him thrown out, after paying him one gold piece per two mana given from the hug.  If he does, do the same, but give him his crossbow back.

Spoiler: Saeko (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: February 05, 2018, 02:04:23 pm by Devastator »

Pancaek

• Bay Watcher
  • Real stupidity beats artificial intelligence
    • View Profile
« Reply #784 on: February 07, 2018, 08:20:58 pm »

Let Darwin work his diplomacy. Stand around looking friendly.

Beirus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #785 on: February 07, 2018, 09:00:46 pm »

Drink 29 Thaum to use 20 mana for a +1 in Will and Endurance,  then summon a swarm of fireflies that I can mentally control so that I can have light. Or go back out of the unlit area and grab a lit torch if that would be easier, then continue following the directions of my sculpture to the artifact.

Spoiler: Aurum (click to show/hide)
Because everything is Megaman when you have an arm cannon.

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #786 on: February 11, 2018, 01:45:38 pm »

Together with Rufus and whats her face, the would be deserter, you lower the boat down into the waters below. Then You and Eclair and I assume Behiar, climb down into the boat and disconnect it from the ropes. You don't have paddles so you have to paddle over by hand, like surfers on a very oversized board. It takes a while but you reach an unsunken part of the city and pull the boat up onto it. You're on the roof of some part of the city, a large cube with a hole in the top leading into its internals. You're not there for more than 10 seconds before a Dolman pokes  its head around a corner up ahead and points one ear at you. It sits, silent and unmoving as a stone, and waits.

Darwin starts speaking slowly, taking care to enunciate clearly in case this Dolman isn't well versed in their language.
"Greetings noble Dolman. We are a band of explorers who have come to seek for artifacts of the past and we come in peace. Would you be willing to help us find what we seek? We are also interested in trading with you, if you are interested."

Courteous, but to the point. From what he'd heard of them, that would hopefully be a good way to approach these creatures.

Make nice with the nice salamandermen.

(To save time with npc convo's, you can choose to process as much of the following as you feel like): if the Dolmen are friendly or at least willing to trade, describe to them the tablets we're looking for. Also ask them what this structure is and about its history. Finally, ask if they have any valuables or other artifacts to trade. We can offer them food, wood or other things made or done through our magic (eg. making something super-sharp).

Spoiler: Darwin Zeppeli (click to show/hide)
You call out that you're friendly and just looking to trade/searching for tablets.  The head vanishes and then a half dozen dolmen appear, seeming to ooze out of every shadow and hole around you. You quickly find that what they consider valuable and what you consider valuable are entirely different. They want food above all else, but metal tools and weapons, if they're rust proof, are also desired. Dolmen live in water or at least near it so some rusted iron lump does them no good. They find so little value in much of what you're looking for that they don't even collect it, but they do offer to take you to a place that might have the tablets you're looking for. Its in this city, but through several underwater sections.

They don't seem to know anything about the city. They say its been here as long as they know, but it was probably the work of the "Work crazed".

Dolmen do eat meat, right? Wouldn't want to summon up some edible viscera only for them to not want to trade for it.
And um, While the talking bit is happening, I'll be doing some exploring. So we can grab those tablets and get out of the cave someday.

They do. They're also cannibals, but for reasons of honor. They only eat those they like.

You poke around a bit, careful not to get too far from the group. The place is a maze, there's no central street or passages, just countless alleys around the buildings, with stairways up and down and blind halls everywhere.

You find a few empty rooms, some remnants of what might have been furniture but has rotted away to soft mush.

Continue waiting.
Sorry about this. Its unlike lenglon to just vanish like this. You may want to message them, tell them to hurry the heck up.

Let Darwin work his diplomacy. Stand around looking friendly.

You stand around with an exaggerated smile on your face.

Not creepy at all.

Hmm, this doesn't seem like normal anger.  Maybe something else is wrong with this guy.

Have the guards hold him down while I go for a hug.  Maybe that'll draw out the anger if it's magically induced.  Try again to calm the man down with words, too.  Hopefully I can figure out why he's so angry.  I don't have his money.

If he doesn't calm down, have him thrown out, after paying him one gold piece per two mana given from the hug.  If he does, do the same, but give him his crossbow back.

Spoiler: Saeko (click to show/hide)
You go for the forced hug while the man is restrained. As you drain the mana from him (2 mana) you suddenly feel something under it. His anger is human anger and it feels like the heat off a campfire when you stand near it. Under that heat, under that comprehensible human emotion, is something else. An anger that cannot be sustained by a human. It burns white hot and sharp, like a blow torch. You catch a bit of it before you jerk yourself back (5 Mana).  There's a spirit possessing him. An angry one.

Drink 29 Thaum to use 20 mana for a +1 in Will and Endurance,  then summon a swarm of fireflies that I can mentally control so that I can have light. Or go back out of the unlit area and grab a lit torch if that would be easier, then continue following the directions of my sculpture to the artifact.

Spoiler: Aurum (click to show/hide)

Gonna assume you have the words for this since you don't have a list in your sheet.
[5v2][-2 mana]
You snap your fingers and a cloud of fireflies appears, flickering into existence as though they were always there, just hidden in the dark. Their illumination is weak but they move as a swarm under your unconscious command, filling the spaces you look at with a dim but pervasive glow. You use the new light to follow the tunnels down several levels until you reach a sarcophagus. You pry it open and within find a knife, a kris specifically. In the dim light you can see that it glows faintly.

Lenglon

• Bay Watcher
  • Everyone cries, the question is what follows it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #787 on: February 11, 2018, 04:08:47 pm »

((sorry, thought I'd posted a reply when I hadn't.))
if they aren't going to force the issue then I'm keeping my bag.
Spoiler: Nina (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: February 13, 2018, 12:35:47 pm by Lenglon »
((I don't think heating something that is right above us to a ridiculous degree is very smart. Worst case scenario we become +metal statues+. This is a finely crafted metal statue. It is encrusted with sharkmist and HMRC. On the item is an image of HMRC and Pancaek. Pancaek is laughing. The HMRC is melting. The artwork relates to the encasing of the HMRC in metal by Pancaek during the Mission of Many People.))

randomgenericusername

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #788 on: February 11, 2018, 04:33:18 pm »

Wait, I guess.
The dog behind the man behind the beard.
Immortality like that would be even more game breaking than four Aaron's in one place.
You're both so obviously scum that this is a surprisingly difficult decision.

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
  • You know me. What do I know?
    • View Profile
« Reply #789 on: February 11, 2018, 05:00:17 pm »

Continue brigand-murder, setting as little of the town on fire as possible.

If I see a corpse, plunge the gem into their chest and fire lightening from it at my foes. Or snake-lightening, if I'm allowed to combine words with gem products.

Spoiler: Moghorn (click to show/hide)
One wheel short of a wagon

Devastator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #790 on: February 11, 2018, 05:15:08 pm »

"He's got a spirit inside of him, a spirit of anger."

Try to think up a plan.  If I can't think up a better plan, here's what I'm going to try:

Level up Will, to +1, with 10 mana.

"Can the two of you restrain him properly, maybe tie him up or something.  I'm going to get a living animal and see if I can pull the spirit out of him and into the animal."

Go see if I can buy some liquor and buy/find a low offense animal, like a frog or a turtle.  Failing that, get a chicken.  If a chicken, get a band around its beak and a file to try and file down its talons.  Then go back to the room, see if the man will take some liquor to try and calm him down, and try to use a group hug to pull the spirit from the man into the animal.

Spoiler: saeko (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: February 12, 2018, 05:06:52 pm by Devastator »

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
  • Morals? Ethics? Conscience? HA!
    • View Profile
« Reply #791 on: February 12, 2018, 05:35:39 pm »

From the irc:

Begin making food, with M A G I C, as described before. Go for 4 mana's worth of food. About how much does that get me?

Request for the Dolmen to take me to their village so we can engage in the trading. Leave anything that's very heavy and would impede swimming next to the boat. Ask for a single dolman to stay behind and guard our stuff while we're gone.

"Behiar, Ecalir, I propose that while I go with our new friends to discuss trade, you two go fetch those tablets we've been searching for. How about we agree to reconvene at the boat later?"

((Pan, maybe you could give me some more of your mana, in case they have a lot of cool stuff we might want? I can make us some more again once we're back at the bridge.))

« Last Edit: February 17, 2018, 11:02:22 am by Radio Controlled »

Einsteinian Roulette Wiki
Quote from: you know who you are
21:26   <XYZ>: I know nothing about this, but I have strong opinions about it.
Fucking hell, you guys are worse than the demons.

Pancaek

• Bay Watcher
  • Real stupidity beats artificial intelligence
    • View Profile
« Reply #792 on: February 13, 2018, 02:31:20 pm »

((Sure, take the rest of it.))

"Sure thing. Tablets underwater, yes?"

Give my remaining 6 mana to Darwin. Then follow the Dolmen to the tablets

« Last Edit: February 13, 2018, 08:15:17 pm by Pancaek »

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • what about full of shit? is that a meme too?
    • View Profile
« Reply #793 on: February 13, 2018, 05:41:49 pm »

"The lizards seem to know where to find them, we'll be following them."

Get the Dolmen to show us the tablets, dragging Eclair along. If they need to be paid for that, get Darwin to summon them some delicious innards. Do try not to get all my stuff wet. I can leave things behind where I can get them later, if need be.

I live how my maker made me.
Broken broken tip to tail.

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #794 on: February 18, 2018, 03:17:32 pm »

((sorry, thought I'd posted a reply when I hadn't.))
if they aren't going to force the issue then I'm keeping my bag.
Spoiler: Nina (click to show/hide)
They're definitely gonna push the issue. They don't want you to have anything to...cause trouble with.

Continue brigand-murder, setting as little of the town on fire as possible.

If I see a corpse, plunge the gem into their chest and fire lightening from it at my foes. Or snake-lightening, if I'm allowed to combine words with gem products.

Spoiler: Moghorn (click to show/hide)
You wait a minute for the fire to subside enough that you can even see the bandits again before leaning out to shoot at them. To your surprise you see them in the distance, several hundred feet away, beating a hasty retreat out of the town on the back of horse sized lizards. Huh.

"He's got a spirit inside of him, a spirit of anger."

Try to think up a plan.  If I can't think up a better plan, here's what I'm going to try:

Level up Will, to +1, with 10 mana.

"Can the two of you restrain him properly, maybe tie him up or something.  I'm going to get a living animal and see if I can pull the spirit out of him and into the animal."

Go see if I can buy some liquor and buy/find a low offense animal, like a frog or a turtle.  Failing that, get a chicken.  If a chicken, get a band around its beak and a file to try and file down its talons.  Then go back to the room, see if the man will take some liquor to try and calm him down, and try to use a group hug to pull the spirit from the man into the animal.

Spoiler: saeko (click to show/hide)
Your bodyguards come back with a desert tortoise the size of a small dog. Good enough.  You have them place it on the bed with the man and then put one hand on the man's chest and the other on the turtle's shell. You close your eyes and focus on the man's feelings, carefully pushing your mental hand through them. They feel like hot sand, coarse and painfully warm but buried inside is the source of the heat. An ingot of fire, a hot coal. You take a breath and thrust your hand down, grabbing the coal, and yank it up. You pass it, as fast as you can, to your other hand and push it down into the gray static of the turtle's emotions.

The exchange lasts only an instant, but when you open your eyes your hands are bright red and blistered all the way up to your wrist.  The man is unconscious and the turtle is squirming and snapping in a laboriously slow way.

"The lizards seem to know where to find them, we'll be following them."

Get the Dolmen to show us the tablets, dragging Eclair along. If they need to be paid for that, get Darwin to summon them some delicious innards. Do try not to get all my stuff wet. I can leave things behind where I can get them later, if need be.

((Sure, take the rest of it.))

"Sure thing. Tablets underwater, yes?"

Give my remaining 6 mana to Darwin. Then follow the Dolmen to the tablets

Your group of Dolmen take a payment of meat and guide you into the city. They take you into a larger building, through a flooding hallway and flight of stairs until you eventually come up in a partially flooded room, an air pocket trapped somewhere deep in the flooded section of the city. The room smells very old and musty  and the water comes up to about the halfway point, deep enough that you can stand, but its up to your neck. The walls of the room are slotted stone, like book shelves with individual nooks for each book. The bottom half is empty, but above the water there are dozens of slots that contain jade tablets. There's also what looks like a flat, unassuming wall on the far side of the room.

From the irc:

Begin making food, with M A G I C, as described before. Go for 4 mana's worth of food. About how much does that get me?

Request for the Dolmen to take me to their village so we can engage in the trading. Leave anything that's very heavy and would impede swimming next to the boat. Ask for a single dolman to stay behind and guard our stuff while we're gone.

"Behiar, Ecalir, I propose that while I go with our new friends to discuss trade, you two go fetch those tablets we've been searching for. How about we agree to reconvene at the boat later?"

((Pan, maybe you could give me some more of your mana, in case they have a lot of cool stuff we might want? I can make us some more again once we're back at the bridge.))

You leave anything heavy and generally useless in the city and head off with the majority of the other Dolmen. The lake  where this city is submerged leads out to a more gentle river that meanders for quite a while before spilling out into a plain of small pools lit by some sort of greenblue algae or fungus. Its remarkably warm in the area, probably due to some sort of geothermal activity. There are countless huts made of leather and bone spread out among the pools, with the most concentrated by some sort of large central pit. You follow the lizards over and into the pit. its walls are tiered, with water flowing down in steps over them, gathering for a bit before continuing on. Hundreds, maybe thousands, of dolmen lay in these tiered pools, seemingly dead. They take you to the bottom of the pit and into a small cavern where they keep "Outsider things".

The collection is a junk pile and treasure horde in equal parts; garbage and artifacts thrown together, equally valueless to those that took them. There are gold coins, cut jewels, armor, weapons, human bones, iron chains, bits of sodden leather, metal scraps, lumps of  wet rope, bits of wood and plant material, and so on.

Pages: 1 ... 51 52 [53] 54 55 ... 203