Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 52 53 [54] 55 56 ... 203

Author Topic: Cabal: Wizard Open World Game  (Read 338059 times)

Lenglon

• Bay Watcher
  • Everyone cries, the question is what follows it.
    • View Profile
Re: Cabal: The Death of Magic
« Reply #795 on: February 18, 2018, 04:05:54 pm »

Fine then, I'll hand over my bag to the mercenary from the other night. (the one that apparently isn't actually part of the cult and I think could be an ally later on, once the cult makes what they're doing more obvious.)
Spoiler: Nina (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: February 18, 2018, 10:51:20 pm by Lenglon »
((I don't think heating something that is right above us to a ridiculous degree is very smart. Worst case scenario we become +metal statues+. This is a finely crafted metal statue. It is encrusted with sharkmist and HMRC. On the item is an image of HMRC and Pancaek. Pancaek is laughing. The HMRC is melting. The artwork relates to the encasing of the HMRC in metal by Pancaek during the Mission of Many People.))

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • Perhaps I'll
    • View Profile
« Reply #796 on: February 18, 2018, 04:20:10 pm »

"Well, this looks promising."

Go check out that flat, unassuming wall that you made sure to mention just now.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Down at the bottom of the ocean. Beneath tons of brine which would crush you down. Not into broken and splintered flesh, but into thin soup. Into just more of the sea water. Where things live that aren't so different from you, but you will never live to touch them and they will never live to touch you.

randomgenericusername

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #797 on: February 18, 2018, 04:28:49 pm »

"This was a huge waste of time. Can we please go on now? This whole bag problem was pointless and boring. I could have been hunting criminals or fighting wizards instead."
Accept the bag. Are we finally done?
Spoiler: Randolf Osborn (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: February 18, 2018, 07:59:36 pm by randomgenericusername »
The dog behind the man behind the beard.
Immortality like that would be even more game breaking than four Aaron's in one place.
You're both so obviously scum that this is a surprisingly difficult decision.

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
  • Morals? Ethics? Conscience? HA!
    • View Profile
« Reply #798 on: February 18, 2018, 05:50:17 pm »

Start sifting through the pile 'o stuff. I'm looking for the following things, in order:
magical or magic-related artifacts (scrolls with words, wand of infinite fire, tome of double entry bookkeeping)
high-value low-weight valuables (ancient gold coins, jewels, pure crack)
exceptional items but which aren't magical (eg really nice weapons or armor or a 1919 Ford Model T Coupe)

Spoiler: Darwin Zeppeli (click to show/hide)

Einsteinian Roulette Wiki
Quote from: you know who you are
21:26   <XYZ>: I know nothing about this, but I have strong opinions about it.
Fucking hell, you guys are worse than the demons.

Devastator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #799 on: February 18, 2018, 07:39:59 pm »

"Phew!  That went pretty well.  Can you guys take the turtle and drop it well outside of town?  The spirit might be able to leave the tortorse if it's killed, and I don't want to risk that.  Much better for it to burn itself out inside that tortorse.  This guy should be out for a while, but he should be pretty calm when he wakes up."

Attend to my burns and have the turtle dropped off outside of town.  It might be of use as a mana battery of some kind, but that sounds risky and Saeko would rather not heal with large quantities of anger, anyway.  If the guy wakes up, inform him as to what happened, untie him, and find out how he got that way and what he remembers about being possessed.  Also, do make it clear that I'd like compensation, although the usual rules about not making people still apply.

Spoiler: Saeko (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: February 19, 2018, 05:47:47 am by Devastator »

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
  • You know me. What do I know?
    • View Profile
« Reply #800 on: February 19, 2018, 11:08:31 am »

Loot bodies or ask for a reward as appropriate given how many people are watching.

Then set off for Perlatum, adequately supplied.

Spoiler: Moghorn (click to show/hide)
One wheel short of a wagon

Pancaek

• Bay Watcher
  • Real stupidity beats artificial intelligence
    • View Profile
« Reply #801 on: February 24, 2018, 07:54:33 am »

Check out the Jade tablets. Do any of them contain magic words?

Leodanny

• Bay Watcher
  • Ah
    • View Profile
« Reply #802 on: February 25, 2018, 02:47:34 pm »

IN!

immediately begin construction of an artifact something.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2018, 02:51:12 pm by Leodanny »

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #803 on: February 26, 2018, 05:24:52 pm »

Fine then, I'll hand over my bag to the mercenary from the other night. (the one that apparently isn't actually part of the cult and I think could be an ally later on, once the cult makes what they're doing more obvious.)
Spoiler: Nina (click to show/hide)
"This was a huge waste of time. Can we please go on now? This whole bag problem was pointless and boring. I could have been hunting criminals or fighting wizards instead."
Accept the bag. Are we finally done?
You hand your bag to Randolf and together, along with the rest of the group, you walk off into the church. One by one the procession steps off the walkways inside the church and submerges into the swamp. They don't offer any way to breathe and when you ask about it they just tell you to jump in, that "The god in the deep will protect what is his".

"Well, this looks promising."

Go check out that flat, unassuming wall that you made sure to mention just now.

The wall is still flat and unassuming but after running your hand across it a few times you find that there's a seam in it. A closed off doorway by the look of it.

Start sifting through the pile 'o stuff. I'm looking for the following things, in order:
magical or magic-related artifacts (scrolls with words, wand of infinite fire, tome of double entry bookkeeping)
high-value low-weight valuables (ancient gold coins, jewels, pure crack)
exceptional items but which aren't magical (eg really nice weapons or armor or a 1919 Ford Model T Coupe)

Of magical artifacts you find a long sword with glowing runes, very generic, A glass slab with a topographical map of the kingdom carved into it, a bottle of glowing blue sea water, complete with fish and plants,  and a glass orb that appears empty but seems to have something barely visible hanging inside it when you hold it to the light just right.

High value you have a sack of jewels, a crystal skull of some sort of big toothed cat, and an ingot of platinum

Exceptional items you've got several good weapons made of some kind of metal you've never seen before. It didn't rust and the blades are still sharp but its also bizarrely light and springy. Hard to say if they'd be good for actual combat use, their spring might make them difficult to wield, but they're very exceptional in their own way.

Check out the Jade tablets. Do any of them contain magic words?

You go through the tablets, one by one. Of the dozens here, maybe a quarter contain magic words of different varieties.

They are:
Black Sulfur
Insect
Multiply
Lighting
Obsidian
Rubber
Strong acid
Darkness
White Phosphorous
Slime
Spider silk
Coal
Leather
Weak disease
Electricity

"Phew!  That went pretty well.  Can you guys take the turtle and drop it well outside of town?  The spirit might be able to leave the tortorse if it's killed, and I don't want to risk that.  Much better for it to burn itself out inside that tortorse.  This guy should be out for a while, but he should be pretty calm when he wakes up."

Attend to my burns and have the turtle dropped off outside of town.  It might be of use as a mana battery of some kind, but that sounds risky and Saeko would rather not heal with large quantities of anger, anyway.  If the guy wakes up, inform him as to what happened, untie him, and find out how he got that way and what he remembers about being possessed.  Also, do make it clear that I'd like compensation, although the usual rules about not making people still apply.

You, with help from your attendants, bandage your hands and then have the turtle dropped off far away from town. Well, far in turtle distances. That done you return to the man, who is still unconscious despite your best shaking, yelling, and poking. He's breathing well but seems borderline comatose.

Loot bodies or ask for a reward as appropriate given how many people are watching.

Then set off for Perlatum, adequately supplied.

You gather up as much ammo from the bodies as you can, stealing a repeating rifle from them as well. You also take their food and water, consolidating it into several water skins and sacks of food.  You steal one of their cowboyish hats and longcoats as well, for style points and to protect yourself from the sun. Thus supplied, you negotiate a payment from the locals and the mine office, who give you 100 gold in thanks for your actions.

The mine office tells you that if you'd like to triple that, you could take out the leader of the bandits who just raided the town.

IN!

immediately begin construction of an artifact something.
You're going to need materials to do that. A sculptor needs very specific things to make their items.

For you, you'll need a human skin, a diamond, a bit of flame, a beetle the size of your fist, and an obsidian spearhead made by someone other than yourself.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2018, 07:27:01 pm by piecewise »

Devastator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #804 on: February 26, 2018, 06:19:36 pm »

"He might just be exhausted from having the spirit running his body.  He's in there, so lets give him some time."

Examine his body again, but don't do anything.  keep him here for about half a day or so.  If he still isn't awake by then, or his condition changes, start investigating the town to see if anyone knows the guy.. maybe something in his history can provide insight as to what's wrong with him.

(I really hope Saeko didn't break his neck or something..)

« Last Edit: February 28, 2018, 03:13:03 pm by Devastator »

randomgenericusername

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #805 on: February 26, 2018, 06:55:51 pm »

"Uh, no. I don't think "I am his" or that he would protect me. I am not a believer or anything, I was just hired to watch over the lady. Unless you give us something to breathe underwater, we will drown. I'm not going to change my religion again just for a single job, you know? This stuff always happens with holy places and I'm quite tired of it. I would like to keep my own beliefs for now. Please."
Request anti-drowning equipment. Anything that helps an atheist like me breathe underwater without divine protection.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2018, 07:38:58 pm by randomgenericusername »
The dog behind the man behind the beard.
Immortality like that would be even more game breaking than four Aaron's in one place.
You're both so obviously scum that this is a surprisingly difficult decision.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • Perhaps I'll
    • View Profile
« Reply #806 on: February 26, 2018, 07:32:03 pm »

"Hidden passage. Maybe there's more tablets back there."

When in doubt, hit it with a hammer until it opens. Or at least that's always what uncle always said. Hasn't really been relevant till now, to be honest.

Down at the bottom of the ocean. Beneath tons of brine which would crush you down. Not into broken and splintered flesh, but into thin soup. Into just more of the sea water. Where things live that aren't so different from you, but you will never live to touch them and they will never live to touch you.

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #807 on: February 27, 2018, 07:44:09 am »

Anything noteworthy in the pile that didn't fit in the previous three categories?

Either way, start appraising the magical artifacts. Try to figure out what they do and how they work. Also take a look at the weapons. Any reason the Dolmen didn't want to use these, given that they said they have need of metal tools?

« Last Edit: February 27, 2018, 05:48:58 pm by Radio Controlled »

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #808 on: February 28, 2018, 03:07:55 pm »

From IRC Discord:
Mr.Bones -
if its d6 for six words than d6+1 is 7 words

Radio Controlled -
By the by, about how much mana would that sack of gems be worth?
Mr.Bones -
A bunch
I'd roll for it on like...10+d20
Radio Controlled -
Ah, no specific value then.
Mostly in case I don't have enough mana to magic up guts to pay for the other goodies.
Though I'm rather curious what those 4 artifacts do.
Mr.Bones -
!roll d20
RPBotBOT -
@Mr.Bones rolled 20.
Mr.Bones -
congrats
Radio Controlled -
Cool, I'll note it down in the thread in case it comes up.

Radio Controlled -
Oi, boneboy, how much moolah for the ingot of platinum and crystal skull?
Mr.Bones -
depends on who is buying
Radio Controlled -
But wasn't there a fixed mana-gold conversion rate to prevent endless haggling? But okay, how much could I get if we sold it in the nearby town?
Mr.Bones -
The amount of mana you get and the amount a person will buy it for are not the same. A diamond is very valuable but the Olmen don't give a shit about a rock.
In a nearby town I don't think anyone would have the cash on hand to buy it from you at a good price
Like going to the bank with a 10,000,000 dollar check
They can't really cash it
Radio Controlled -
But then doesn't that bring back the haggling issue?
But ok, platinum and crystal skull are too much bling for this town to handle.
Mr.Bones -
They're worth a very lot
Radio Controlled -
Unless they could buy the whole town?
Mr.Bones -
If you could find a town willing, it might
its  enough to buy a small town and all the land its on
Radio Controlled -
"You people now all belong to us. You there, boy, you are now my squire."
That sack of jewels was worth 30 mana. Can I assume that does still translate to 750 gold in value, if only cause it's a lot of smaller gems we could use for trade directly?
Mr.Bones -
Sure
« Last Edit: March 01, 2018, 03:28:43 pm by Radio Controlled »

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
  • You know me. What do I know?
    • View Profile
« Reply #809 on: March 01, 2018, 11:27:45 am »

The mine office tells you that if you'd like to triple that, you could take out the leader of the bandits who just raided the town.

Tell them that I'll do it, but I'll need their help in draining some bodies of blood beforehand. Dead bandits, civilians, random criminals, I don't care whose. Store the blood in some waterskins.

Then get info on the bandit camp, and if at all safe, set out in its general direction.

One wheel short of a wagon
Pages: 1 ... 52 53 [54] 55 56 ... 203