Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 53 54 [55] 56 57 ... 203

Author Topic: Cabal: Wizard Open World Game  (Read 343070 times)

Lenglon

• Bay Watcher
  • Everyone cries, the question is what follows it.
    • View Profile
Re: Cabal: The Death of Magic
« Reply #810 on: March 05, 2018, 12:37:41 pm »

Stall and see if they start handing out anti-drowning gear. I'd like some if I can get it, but its not a make-or-break issue.
((I don't think heating something that is right above us to a ridiculous degree is very smart. Worst case scenario we become +metal statues+. This is a finely crafted metal statue. It is encrusted with sharkmist and HMRC. On the item is an image of HMRC and Pancaek. Pancaek is laughing. The HMRC is melting. The artwork relates to the encasing of the HMRC in metal by Pancaek during the Mission of Many People.))

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #811 on: March 05, 2018, 04:10:31 pm »

"He might just be exhausted from having the spirit running his body.  He's in there, so lets give him some time."

Examine his body again, but don't do anything.  keep him here for about half a day or so.  If he still isn't awake by then, or his condition changes, start investigating the town to see if anyone knows the guy.. maybe something in his history can provide insight as to what's wrong with him.

(I really hope Saeko didn't break his neck or something..)

Spoiler: Saeko (click to show/hide)

The next morning, two things happen. First, the man wakes up. He's still very tired and seems out of it but not injured. He says he has only a vague memory of how he got here, or anything in the past few months. Last thing he clearly remembers is being bitten by a dog in the slums of the capital. After that its all sleepwalking and half memory.

Second, the man from before returns, followed by another man and a young girl. Must be the one he told you about.

"Uh, no. I don't think "I am his" or that he would protect me. I am not a believer or anything, I was just hired to watch over the lady. Unless you give us something to breathe underwater, we will drown. I'm not going to change my religion again just for a single job, you know? This stuff always happens with holy places and I'm quite tired of it. I would like to keep my own beliefs for now. Please."
Request anti-drowning equipment. Anything that helps an atheist like me breathe underwater without divine protection.
Spoiler: Randolf Osborn (click to show/hide)
They give you an airbladder but insist that you won't need it.

"Hidden passage. Maybe there's more tablets back there."

When in doubt, hit it with a hammer until it opens. Or at least that's always what uncle always said. Hasn't really been relevant till now, to be honest.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
You raise the hammer up with a look on your face that can only be described as manic joy and then smash it into the center of the wall. For a half second the wall flashes with a spray of green sparks and the hammer is propelled back hard enough to rip it from your grasp. It flies back and hits the far wall, which responds in a similar way. This happens a half dozen more times in the span of a second or so, the hammer ricocheting terrifyingly around the room like a bullet. Everyone instinctively crouches or throws themselves to the ground and after a few seconds the hammer rebounds into the water and stops.

"Alright." You say, rising slowly to your feet, "Brute force is perhaps not the correct method."

Anything noteworthy in the pile that didn't fit in the previous three categories?

Either way, start appraising the magical artifacts. Try to figure out what they do and how they work. Also take a look at the weapons. Any reason the Dolmen didn't want to use these, given that they said they have need of metal tools?

Spoiler: Darwin Zeppeli (click to show/hide)
Nothing obvious.

I'm gonna hold off on this appraisal action until you tell me what you're willing to do to examine them. This a 10 foot pole deal or what?

The mine office tells you that if you'd like to triple that, you could take out the leader of the bandits who just raided the town.

Tell them that I'll do it, but I'll need their help in draining some bodies of blood beforehand. Dead bandits, civilians, random criminals, I don't care whose. Store the blood in some waterskins.

Then get info on the bandit camp, and if at all safe, set out in its general direction.

Spoiler: Moghorn (click to show/hide)

They're pretty weirded out by that but they give you some water skins and you drain the remaining bandit blood into it. You get three good size sacks worth.

As per info, they know its out there among the lead pillars somewhere, probably dug in somewhere. Might be high up, might be ground level. They don't know much other than the direction the bandits always ride in and where they've found some tracks and remnants of stolen goods.  You head out toward the place on foot, following the bandit's trail. Eventually the trail just seems to stop near the lake of mercury around one of the pillars.  There are a lot of tracks meandering around and some drag marks in the shore of the pool.

Stall and see if they start handing out anti-drowning gear. I'd like some if I can get it, but its not a make-or-break issue.
They give you one as well.

Leodanny

• Bay Watcher
  • Ah
    • View Profile
« Reply #812 on: March 05, 2018, 06:42:25 pm »

ask around to see where fist sized beetles live.

randomgenericusername

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #813 on: March 05, 2018, 07:26:43 pm »

"...What is this thing even for? How the hell do I use this to breathe underwater? Ah, damn it. I sure hope you're telling the truth or I'm going to haunt you forever as a ghost."
Dive into the water. Pray to all the elder fish gods (except for the lake's elder fish god, don't trust that dude) I know about for protection.
The dog behind the man behind the beard.
Immortality like that would be even more game breaking than four Aaron's in one place.
You're both so obviously scum that this is a surprisingly difficult decision.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • what about full of shit? is that a meme too?
    • View Profile
« Reply #814 on: March 05, 2018, 08:13:37 pm »

"No no, don't tell me. We have to solve a fucking puzzle."

Sigh. That's magically shielded or some shit, so there's probably some other way to make it open. Say some obvious passcodes to the hidden door, mess around with the tablets and their alcoves, and generally pretend this is a damn resident evil puzzle or something.

« Last Edit: March 06, 2018, 08:56:54 pm by Egan_BW »
I live how my maker made me.
Broken broken tip to tail.

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
  • Morals? Ethics? Conscience? HA!
    • View Profile
« Reply #815 on: March 06, 2018, 02:32:42 pm »

Discord testing:

Also, check out these wonderful rolls:

Einsteinian Roulette Wiki
Quote from: you know who you are
21:26   <XYZ>: I know nothing about this, but I have strong opinions about it.
Fucking hell, you guys are worse than the demons.

Pancaek

• Bay Watcher
  • Real stupidity beats artificial intelligence
    • View Profile
« Reply #816 on: March 06, 2018, 03:52:23 pm »

I'm going to start putting these tablets in the boat. Have one of Dolmen help out, at least by accompanying me on the trip from the room to the boat so nothing bad happens during that time. Take as many tablets as I can safely carry for that trip. If the boat starts getting overloaded, make the trip to shore and leave them with rufus.

questions:
1.By the way, are these words only for me, or could other people use them as well? If they are only for me, is it possible the other tablets contain magic words for other that I just can't see?

2.Is that one word actually "lighting" or was it supposed to be "lightning"?

3.Could you give me a definition of "leather"? Would it allow the manipulation of living things, or only porcessed skin?

4.What is the defination of "weak disease" exactly?

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • what about full of shit? is that a meme too?
    • View Profile
« Reply #817 on: March 06, 2018, 08:56:45 pm »

Okay, no, I have a MUCH better idea~

Alright, so first get to somewhere dry.
Then Behiar is going to take some time draw the following in her book:

Now, this is going to have to charge for about 9 hours, so it might be best to head back to the Dolmen village where Darwin is now.
Focus on the circle and what I want it to do for 5 hours, then rest and focus for another 4 hours. Better to overshoot on time than undershoot.
Once the array seems adequately charged, carry it back to the tablet room and set the book down on one of the tablet alcoves above the water level. Leave my rock hammer on the floor in the room. Then leave the room and "activate" the array from a distance.

If things work how I intend (and this type of magic is actually possible in this universe...) then the magical shield should be removed from the secret door and placed around my hammer, either turning it into a very bouncy hammer or something akin to a kinetic amplifier, hitting things harder than the force you put into the swing thanks to MAGIC.

Assumptions I made creating this plan: WAY TOO MANY

« Last Edit: March 06, 2018, 09:27:51 pm by Egan_BW »
I live how my maker made me.
Broken broken tip to tail.

Devastator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #818 on: March 06, 2018, 10:10:48 pm »

Brief the spirit guy for a moment about what happened to him, show him the bedpan or the path to the necessities, and ask him to wait around a bit while I attend another patient.  Then greet the newcomers, examine their child, and discuss the procedure.  Charge is the normal 5-10 gold price, payable upon success, along with hugs.  Go down on the price if it looks too high.  After that, conduct the healing, hug the principles, and make sure everyone is happy.

If it works out, thank the guy for coming back, and say that his price is waived, and hope him and his stabbed friend are doing better.  Same with thanking the new customers.  Do tell everyone that I'm likely to leave the town in a few days, as it's time to go to the next town.

After that, debrief the spirit-victim, and find out his name and who he was, as it would be nice for him to have a plan as to what to do next.  I'm willing to take him on to the next town, if he likes, as a guard, but that isn't obligatory.  I'd also like recompse, but I doubt he has anything so far from home.

« Last Edit: March 07, 2018, 11:41:14 am by Devastator »

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
  • You know me. What do I know?
    • View Profile
« Reply #819 on: March 07, 2018, 11:08:37 am »

Toss a pebble into the mercury near the tracks. Is it an illusion? If so, asses whether or not anyone behind it might have noticed something.
Are there any disturbances in the quicksilver, such as a powerful magnet or current might cause?

If anything occurs, pour blood onto the gem and aim lightning bolts at a shallow angle into the quicksilver. Or if that's not possible, fire whichever is better of my gun and my crossbow into the water.

One wheel short of a wagon

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #820 on: March 07, 2018, 02:10:41 pm »

More testing!

Ask the Dolmen to begin transporting the loot to the boat. Start summoning up their payment, doing it the slow way (6 times d4).

If I run out of mana before completing the payment, explain that I can make them more but that I'll need to refill my reserves a bit. Then go convert some jade while waiting for Behiar's thing to complete. Convert either some jade tablets that Pan brings in (NOT the ones with magic words on them, but useless ones) or pieces of bridge (work together with Rufus for this).

« Last Edit: March 08, 2018, 11:12:22 am by Radio Controlled »

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #821 on: March 11, 2018, 02:00:59 pm »

Part 1. I went over the maximum character length

ask around to see where fist sized beetles live.
I'm gonna need to know where in the world you are first. There's a map in the OP so just choose a location from there. However, I will say that just about everywhere would have beetles that big, if you look for them.

"...What is this thing even for? How the hell do I use this to breathe underwater? Ah, damn it. I sure hope you're telling the truth or I'm going to haunt you forever as a ghost."
Dive into the water. Pray to all the elder fish gods (except for the lake's elder fish god, don't trust that dude) I know about for protection.

You shrug and leap straight into the water without any further hesitation.  The first few seconds are a shock to the system; blind, cold, disoriented in the water. You're not sure you should be opening your eyes in swamp water, but you do so. The water beneath the surface is cloudy and full of silt but you can clearly see some sort of lanterns hanging in the water. Or...not hanging, but secured in place by chains leading down into the depths. Each lantern is an iron and glass orb with a bright, if somewhat obscured, glow. You wonder, considering their construction and the iron chains, whats making them float. There are others in the water here, not even treading, just sort of hovering in place. To your surprise you're doing the same; not swimming or wading or struggling against rising up or sinking down, just floating, stationary.  And while you're holding your breath still, you don't feel the familiar burn or the desire to take another breath.

The lanterns spiral downwards, their curving arc starting as a huge circle under most of the town and slowly tightening as it descends.  There's no vegetation here, or fish beyond some tiny things. The only thing here are the floats for the city, secured under the wooden platforms. That, and expectant church members, staring at you.

I'm going to start putting these tablets in the boat. Have one of Dolmen help out, at least by accompanying me on the trip from the room to the boat so nothing bad happens during that time. Take as many tablets as I can safely carry for that trip. If the boat starts getting overloaded, make the trip to shore and leave them with rufus.

questions:
1.By the way, are these words only for me, or could other people use them as well? If they are only for me, is it possible the other tablets contain magic words for other that I just can't see?

3.Could you give me a definition of "leather"? Would it allow the manipulation of living things, or only porcessed skin?

4.What is the defination of "weak disease" exactly?

I assume you're only taking the tablets that have magical words, right?

1. The ones you see are the ones you can use. Other people might see nothing, or different ones.

2.Yes.

3. Only processed things. Leather is leather, not skin.

4. Its an illness that is not usually fatal. Mumps or Measles but not Plague.

Okay, no, I have a MUCH better idea~

Alright, so first get to somewhere dry.
Then Behiar is going to take some time draw the following in her book:

Now, this is going to have to charge for about 9 hours, so it might be best to head back to the Dolmen village where Darwin is now.
Focus on the circle and what I want it to do for 5 hours, then rest and focus for another 4 hours. Better to overshoot on time than undershoot.
Once the array seems adequately charged, carry it back to the tablet room and set the book down on one of the tablet alcoves above the water level. Leave my rock hammer on the floor in the room. Then leave the room and "activate" the array from a distance.

If things work how I intend (and this type of magic is actually possible in this universe...) then the magical shield should be removed from the secret door and placed around my hammer, either turning it into a very bouncy hammer or something akin to a kinetic amplifier, hitting things harder than the force you put into the swing thanks to MAGIC.

Assumptions I made creating this plan: WAY TOO MANY

9 hours is a long time to wait compared to the actions of the others here. So I'm going to give them a chance to scoot away from you and use up those 9 hours before I process your turn.

More testing!

Ask the Dolmen to begin transporting the loot to the boat. Start summoning up their payment, doing it the slow way (6 times d4).

If I run out of mana before completing the payment, explain that I can make them more but that I'll need to refill my reserves a bit. Then go convert some jade while waiting for Behiar's thing to complete. Convert either some jade tablets that Pan brings in (NOT the ones with magic words on them, but useless ones) or pieces of bridge (work together with Rufus for this).

[1,8,8,8,2,6 v 4,2,3,3,3,3]

You manage to summon up piles of meat 3 times before your mana runs out. I'll make the assumption that Eclair brings you some jade to convert, as well as your stuff to do the conversion. It takes up 3 jade tablets but you manage to finish the process.  The Dolmen don't even wait for the first pile of meat to land before they start carting it away, somewhere in their in the winding tunnels of their nest. They seem satisfied with your trade.

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #822 on: March 11, 2018, 02:15:34 pm »

Brief the spirit guy for a moment about what happened to him, show him the bedpan or the path to the necessities, and ask him to wait around a bit while I attend another patient.  Then greet the newcomers, examine their child, and discuss the procedure.  Charge is the normal 5-10 gold price, payable upon success, along with hugs.  Go down on the price if it looks too high.  After that, conduct the healing, hug the principles, and make sure everyone is happy.

If it works out, thank the guy for coming back, and say that his price is waived, and hope him and his stabbed friend are doing better.  Same with thanking the new customers.  Do tell everyone that I'm likely to leave the town in a few days, as it's time to go to the next town.

After that, debrief the spirit-victim, and find out his name and who he was, as it would be nice for him to have a plan as to what to do next.  I'm willing to take him on to the next town, if he likes, as a guard, but that isn't obligatory.  I'd also like recompse, but I doubt he has anything so far from home.

You tell the man what happened, although even then your assumptions are just your best guess. He sits and listens impassively, eyes staring at something a million miles away. You get him set up in the bed before heading out to deal with the new patients.

The man, the girl's father, is older than you expected. He's a broad man, with a white beard that covers almost his entire face in a starburst of frizzy, half curly hair. His eyebrows and heavy brow shadow his eyes to the point of being nothing but dark pits behind a bulbous nose. He has a huge belly but his arms are as big as your waist and ripple like steel bands under suntanned, hairy skin. The girl next to him is the exact opposite; she's actually taller than him but waif thin with close cut, neatly trimmed hair and a pair of huge auburn eyes. She has a look about her that is impossible to pin down; Sad? Bored? Confident? She holds her arms behind her and looks down at you with a sort of bemusement at your elaborate dress compared to her dark blue gray, very simple, attire.

"So," you say after a moment, "What seems to be the problem?"

The Girl doesn't say anything or even open her mouth to start, instead her father immediately interjects.

"My girl here has always been sick" He says, voice booming but friendly, "Ever since she was a wee one. Pale, frail, easy to tire out and quick to sicken. Never puts on a pound. The other doctors she's seen think she has a wasting sickness, but she's never got worse or better. Always just been the same."

The girl nods, as if to confirm the report, but still says nothing. Her eyes are focused on you only dully, like she was drunk or very tired, half comprehending. 

You explain your price, both money and otherwise. The man hears the extra condition and smiles a bit.

"One of them are ya?" He says, knowingly, "Living off kindness is a rarity; most prefer more direct routes."

His daughter looks from him to you, eyes alert for the first time, trying to understand whats going on. You're about to respond when he raises his hand to stop you.

"No need. If you can help my girl, I don't care who ya are or what. Do ya think you can do it?"

You're not entirely sure you can. You don't even know what the problem is, to be honest; this isn't like the other ones where you can just patch a bleeding hole with monkey flesh. This is...something deeper. Something much more subtle.

Toss a pebble into the mercury near the tracks. Is it an illusion? If so, asses whether or not anyone behind it might have noticed something.
Are there any disturbances in the quicksilver, such as a powerful magnet or current might cause?

If anything occurs, pour blood onto the gem and aim lightning bolts at a shallow angle into the quicksilver. Or if that's not possible, fire whichever is better of my gun and my crossbow into the water.

You pick up a pebble and toss it onto the mercury. It hits the mercury and...floats. It goes skimming off across the pond in an odd way. Things that float in water don't really have the mass to keep moving much against its resistance but the stone glides across the pond like it was on ice. It seems real enough. The flow and movement of the mercury seems uninhibited and natural, as far as you can tell. You haven't really...observed lakes of mercury before. There's no current, as far as you can tell, and the wind doesn't do much to create waves in the dense fluid; though it does push the stone you threw out there around, as well as push dust that dirt that has collected on the pool either towards the pillar or towards the shores.

You notice that there's what might be a larger smear of dirt across the surface near the scuff marks. Hard to tell, its dispersed enough that it might be your imagination.

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #823 on: March 11, 2018, 03:11:52 pm »

Radio Controlled - Today at 20:37
2.Yes.
Mr.Bones - Today at 20:38
Lightning
Radio Controlled - Today at 20:38
Will you ever pass up an opportunity to pull that one :p
Mr.Bones - Today at 20:39
probably not, even if I want to

((So yeah Pancaek, the word is of the electrifying variety, not the illuminating one.))

Oh, and also:

((Egan, can I assume Behiar informed us of her plans and how long they'd take before starting on her magic?))

Action for the 9 hour timeskip: With the help of Rufus (and Ecalir if he wants to), start hauling all of our loot back up the ravine where Rufus is. Then spend the remaining time converting jade into thaum.

Give the rune sword and springy metal weapons to Ecalir for now.

« Last Edit: March 11, 2018, 05:52:36 pm by Radio Controlled »

Lenglon

• Bay Watcher
  • Everyone cries, the question is what follows it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #824 on: March 11, 2018, 04:31:48 pm »

Down I go I suppose.
((I don't think heating something that is right above us to a ridiculous degree is very smart. Worst case scenario we become +metal statues+. This is a finely crafted metal statue. It is encrusted with sharkmist and HMRC. On the item is an image of HMRC and Pancaek. Pancaek is laughing. The HMRC is melting. The artwork relates to the encasing of the HMRC in metal by Pancaek during the Mission of Many People.))
Pages: 1 ... 53 54 [55] 56 57 ... 203