Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 58 59 [60] 61 62 ... 203

Author Topic: Cabal: Wizard Open World Game  (Read 341560 times)

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
Re: Cabal: The Death of Magic
« Reply #885 on: April 24, 2018, 04:35:25 pm »

Level up Endurance to +1, costing 10 mana.

Go round up the two others, it's time to make arrangements for travel to the next town.  Lunare seems good.
That said, before we go, it's time to tell the others about the new words, and do a little experimentation.

Use the grow word on Saeko herself to enlarge herself proportionally such that her height becomes six inches greater than it currently is.  (succeeded, 6 cost.)

Second, use the enlarge word to make the uniform fit properly again.  Do this until it succeeds.  (succeeded, 1 cost)

Third, use the strengthen word on Saeko's armour to try and improve its protection, including the gloves.  (succeeded, 1 cost.)

Lastly, use a strengthen spell to try and improve her strength stat. (succeeded, 3 cost.)

After all that, it's time to find a caravan to Lunare, pay for passage, and begin travelling in that direction.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Ok so all the rolls were handled in IRC, I suspect Dev will edit shit in here at some point. Whatever.

You and your entourage head into town and look for transport northwest, towards Lunare.  You are told that there are regular wagon trains in that direction and that you can book passage for a few gold a head; however the locals and a few caravaners warn you that something took an entire caravan down out there not long ago. Not bandits by the look of it either, critters of some kind. No one is quite sure, since here were no survivors found. Wagons were overturned and damaged, contents scattered, but nothing, not even food, was taken. There are those muttering that it had to have been supernatural.

You find three caravans heading that one within the next week. The first is a standard one; makes deliveries and pick ups from the town on a regular basis, usually every few weeks. It can get you in, but it leaves the next day.  The Second is a group of traders, looking to buy and sell. They're the largest of the three caravans and the most heavily armed and protected. The third is a private group, no idea their business but they only have one carriage and a wagon, along with two guards.

Which you wanna book your passage with?

Firstly, what would 'taking over' this town (Glucinum) entail exactly? I'm guessing the artifact fishers guild holds most of the power in this town. Or perhaps the major?

Secondly, could I get a price estimate for the following things please? (and if I can’t get them here, maybe an idea of where I could get it?) 

Spoiler: Darwin Zeppeli (click to show/hide)
Well, depends on if the take over is political or by force. Ie do you want to defacto control the town via political means or literally become warlord Darwin Zeppeli, Ruler of the Depths?  Politically the Fishers have the greatest power in town because they are effectively the breadwinners. Without them the town wouldn't survive.  There is a Mayor of sorts but he's also the head of the Fisher's guild...and no one elected him so...take that for what you will.

5-10 gold for a backpack, depending on if you want "Good" or "Really good"
Glass vials are gonna be like a silver each; cheaper elsewhere.
Depending on quality, between 5 silver and a few gold
Ranged weapon depends on quality too. Bow like 10 gold, 1 gold for a bundle of arrows. As per more expensive weapons that depends on if you want like a crossbow or an actual gun.
Depends on the town, around here quite expensive. 50 gold or so, if not more.
Oh, 15 gold.
1 gold for 3 smoke bombs
3 gold
How big? Donkey? Horse? Giant beetle?
Depends on quality of house. Mansion? Standard? Hovel?
Few hundred for property and tools.

Well that was a prompt in the form of an action for you to give me a more interesting first turn that "here's a list of places" but that didn't work so drop me in the markets.
The markets, in contrast to the craftman's quarter, are busy but organized. Where the Craftman's quarter is a maze of buildings stacked and scattered with no apparent rhyme or reason, the markets are laid out like dozens of interlocking rings; circular clusters of stalls with circular paths around them, merging with the circular paths of other stall clusters nearby. Its around 9pm at the moment so everything is lit up with paper lanterns that criscross on overhead ropes. The shops are still manned, still surrounded by shoppers, still releasing their aroma of cooking food, spices, smoke and leather. You are jostled back and forth by passersby and finally step away to get out of the way. You wonder if any of this stuff is hallucinatory...these people shoving past you are often covered head to toe in colored fabrics with silvered masks over their faces.

Sorry pw, didn't realize I was doing a dice-involvled action. My apologies for not including my sheet.

"Why the hell would some brute that has been my JAILER think I'm going to give him anything, let alone a mage-item when you've declared yourself a mage-hater? Don't you want to get rid of the thing? Hypocrite. Considering how much more I've been through than you to deal with this, and how you didn't even want to trust the old guy down there, I don't think your claim is as good as mine."
I don't let go of the sword, but I don't try to tug it away either. I'll just continue lying on my back, floating in the water, for a bit, until we can settle this reasonably.

Spoiler: Nina (click to show/hide)
Sorry pw, didn't realize I was doing a dice-involvled action. My apologies for not including my sheet.

"Why the hell would some brute that has been my JAILER think I'm going to give him anything, let alone a mage-item when you've declared yourself a mage-hater? Don't you want to get rid of the thing? Hypocrite. Considering how much more I've been through than you to deal with this, and how you didn't even want to trust the old guy down there, I don't think your claim is as good as mine."
I don't let go of the sword, but I don't try to tug it away either. I'll just continue lying on my back, floating in the water, for a bit, until we can settle this reasonably.

"...Oh, I didn't mention it, did I? My mistake. I have this "ability" of sorts that let's me drain the magic juices from the evil mage guys I fight against. I then use this power to fight the evil mages. I wanted to try out the sword to see if it's magical, it could have magic juices inside to fuel my anti-mage power."

"The cultists told me you were an evil mage witch and that you were planing to do something evil, or that's what they implied. Then they said you weren't evil and that you probably weren't a mage. Then they couldn't decide if I had to protect you or from you. They weren't very clear on anything, to be honest. Cult with fish mimic that worships a god that isn't fish-related? Seriously, these guys were beyond common crazy. It's kind like advanced crazy, you know?"

"Also, the impaled guy was suspicious. If he was a god, why did he get caught in there in the first place? If the cult worshiped him and made sacrifices, why didn't he stop them? All he had to do was to speak, I believe. Maybe he didn't really want to admit that he liked the human sacrifices, like all gods."

"To be fair, I didn't listen to anything he was saying. So yeah, you can keep the sword if you want then. Still, take the money. I don't really need it and you could use it to buy heal-tools help others with your healing things you do."

"Say, what's your name healer? I'm Randolf, by the way. Mercenary, if I didn't mention it before. I didn't mention it before, right?"

Randolf insist to give the healer 20 gold coins to compensate for what he did. Also, float with Air Bladder.
Spoiler: Randolf Osborn (click to show/hide)
Randolf pulls his air bladder out and pushes it so that Nina can grab hold of it aw well. The two of them float with the bladder between them, both holding the blade and the bladder. Randolf attempts to dig 20 coins out of his bag to give them to Nina but doing that while holding the bladder and the sword at the same time proves too difficult. Instead he simply resolves to do it the next time they're on stable ground.

A giant Koi passes under them and bobs them both up and down gently. 

Devastator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #886 on: April 24, 2018, 05:00:06 pm »

First sounds good, the regular caravan.  Pay 6 gold for passage.  Are the two soldiers with me armed?   If they aren't, buy them weapons, paying up to 10 gold each.

« Last Edit: April 24, 2018, 05:55:45 pm by Devastator »

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • Are you a duelist?
    • View Profile
« Reply #887 on: April 24, 2018, 05:15:14 pm »

Look for opportunities. Offer to paint things for people. Keep a look out for obvious mages. Steal if I can get away with it.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2018, 06:50:00 am by Egan_BW »

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #888 on: April 24, 2018, 05:36:07 pm »

ER your words are "Light (as in weight)" and "Explosion"

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
  • Morals? Ethics? Conscience? HA!
    • View Profile
« Reply #889 on: April 24, 2018, 05:46:28 pm »

Well, depends on if the take over is political or by force. Ie do you want to defacto control the town via political means or literally become warlord Darwin Zeppeli, Ruler of the Depths?  Politically the Fishers have the greatest power in town because they are effectively the breadwinners. Without them the town wouldn't survive.  There is a Mayor of sorts but he's also the head of the Fisher's guild...and no one elected him so...take that for what you will.

Political, we're not about to start murdering people left and right. Yet.

Ask around a bit about this mayor. How did he became head of the guild? What is he like? Do people in general like him? Try not to make it sound like we're fishing about info on him, just bring it up in general conversation with people when the fisher's guild comes up.

Oh, and could you tell me what dice rating the special metal weapons get? And how much we could get for selling them (assuming the appropriate haggling and such). 

Any real mechanical difference between them?

Ranged weapon depends on quality too. Bow like 10 gold, 1 gold for a bundle of arrows. As per more expensive weapons that depends on if you want like a crossbow or an actual gun.
Since weapons get a dice rating to indicate how dangerous they are, what is the difference between eg. a d8 crossbow versus a d8 gun (aside from ammo costs and such)?

Gimme the price for a donkey (for carrying stuff) and a good horse (for riding around on) please.

Let's say standard.

And how much to rent a decent room in an inn here? And would the local smithy/workshop be willing to rent out access to his equipment? If yes, how much?

Also, discord dancing questions answering. Mostly about the arena, but also some of ER's question regarding mage breakers. Also ocean portals?

« Last Edit: April 25, 2018, 02:22:17 pm by Radio Controlled »

Einsteinian Roulette Wiki
Quote from: you know who you are
21:26   <XYZ>: I know nothing about this, but I have strong opinions about it.
Fucking hell, you guys are worse than the demons.

Lenglon

• Bay Watcher
  • Everyone cries, the question is what follows it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #890 on: April 25, 2018, 09:41:45 am »

"So, um... well, in that case, I might as well let you know I lied to you earlier. I'm a channeler too."
Adam's been really quiet for a while now, what's he up to?
"The real question is, what do we do now?"
((I don't think heating something that is right above us to a ridiculous degree is very smart. Worst case scenario we become +metal statues+. This is a finely crafted metal statue. It is encrusted with sharkmist and HMRC. On the item is an image of HMRC and Pancaek. Pancaek is laughing. The HMRC is melting. The artwork relates to the encasing of the HMRC in metal by Pancaek during the Mission of Many People.))

randomgenericusername

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #891 on: April 25, 2018, 10:20:46 am »

"...I don't know. So we are both mages? That kind of makes sense in hindsight..."

"...What do you want to do now?"

Randolf was oddly silent. Seems like the revelation might have affected him somewhat, as he wasn't as talkative as he used to be moments ago.

The dog behind the man behind the beard.
Immortality like that would be even more game breaking than four Aaron's in one place.
You're both so obviously scum that this is a surprisingly difficult decision.

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #892 on: April 29, 2018, 09:53:33 pm »

First sounds good, the regular caravan.  Pay 6 gold for passage.  Are the two soldiers with me armed?   If they aren't, buy them weapons, paying up to 10 gold each.

The caravan guards as well as your own are armed, so you pay your 6 gold to take the caravan. The caravan leaves early in the morning, just before sunrise. For the entire day you sit in a wagon, playing cards with the other passengers and a revolving watch of guards. The caravan continues through blank and uninteresting desert until nightfall, when it stops off to the side of the road. Your guards and the caravan's guards handle the majority of the setup work, get a fire going, and set up a watch order. The caravan's cook starts dinner and everyone gathers around the fire and the stew pot, waiting for their servings. By the time everyone has eaten the sun is gone in earnest and the world is dark; nothing but your little island of firelight in an infinite expanse of darkness stretching out in all directions.

When the fog rolls in its hard to tell at first; obviously you're not gonna notice that things in the distance are hazy when the distance is a void. But the fog grows thicker rapidly, becoming so dense that it soaks your clothing  and mats your hair against your head and face. Even the torchlights of the guards are nothing but a vague glow at maybe 20 feet. The caravan horses are spooked, constantly shifting and neighing, as though considering bolting. You get up near your two guards, uncertain of what is going on and in no rush to be separated from your only means of protection.

Look for opportunities. Offer to paint things for people. Keep a look out for obvious mages. Steal if I can get away with it.
[8v6]
You stand off to the side of the road and shout at random people in order to draw them in; proclaiming yourself an artist for hire. Most people wander past, as you would expect, but eventually one woman stops and walks up to you. She asks you what kind of art you do and you explain that you are a wandering painter for hire, a mercenary of art. She asks if you can paint things realistically. She's extremely insistent on this, to an almost distressing degree, demanding to know "How realistic" you can paint something.

You get the distinct feeling this person has ulterior motives for her potential patronage of you. Possibly magic related. Or maybe just forgeries?

Political, we're not about to start murdering people left and right. Yet.

Ask around a bit about this mayor. How did he became head of the guild? What is he like? Do people in general like him? Try not to make it sound like we're fishing about info on him, just bring it up in general conversation with people when the fisher's guild comes up.

Oh, and could you tell me what dice rating the special metal weapons get? And how much we could get for selling them (assuming the appropriate haggling and such). 

Any real mechanical difference between them?

Since weapons get a dice rating to indicate how dangerous they are, what is the difference between eg. a d8 crossbow versus a d8 gun (aside from ammo costs and such)?

Gimme the price for a donkey (for carrying stuff) and a good horse (for riding around on) please.

Let's say standard.

And how much to rent a decent room in an inn here? And would the local smithy/workshop be willing to rent out access to his equipment? If yes, how much?

Also, discord dancing questions answering. Mostly about the arena, but also some of ER's question regarding mage breakers. Also ocean portals?
Apparently he's head of the guild through a combination of nepotism (His father was the former head) and plutocracy (He's also the most successful of the fishers, mostly because he already had a huge set up when he joined thanks to his family).  He's not a bad person, nor terribly disliked, but there are a lot of people who would like to take his position. Some are just greedy, others think its unfair his family owns so much prime real estate;  it effectively makes it impossible for others to compete. So as much as he isn't personally disliked, there are still lots of people who want him gone. The general population is mostly apathetic towards him; he keeps them in jobs but he's neither loved nor hated.

The special metal weapons are d6 and d8. You could get a widely varying amount depending on what you bill them as; weapons or artifacts. As weapons they're average, as artifacts they could get anywhere between 30 and 150 gold depending on how well you talked them up.

Mechanically? Maybe a bit but not in terms of rolls. A really good one might not break or something on a failure where a normal one might. Its not a lot.

Range, mostly, and penetration. Also guns generally won't give someone time to try and dodge or react.

Donkey, about 30 gold, give or take.  A horse is about 50 for a general purpose one, 100 or so for a really good one.

Standard, buying prebuilt, would cost in the 250 or so range in this city. You can shave off 100 or add on 100 depending on the kind of neighborhood.

Lenglon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #893 on: April 29, 2018, 10:11:02 pm »

"So, um... well, in that case, I might as well let you know I lied to you earlier. I'm a channeler too."
how's adam?
((I don't think heating something that is right above us to a ridiculous degree is very smart. Worst case scenario we become +metal statues+. This is a finely crafted metal statue. It is encrusted with sharkmist and HMRC. On the item is an image of HMRC and Pancaek. Pancaek is laughing. The HMRC is melting. The artwork relates to the encasing of the HMRC in metal by Pancaek during the Mission of Many People.))

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • Are you a duelist?
    • View Profile
« Reply #894 on: April 29, 2018, 10:15:46 pm »

"Lady? You better believe I can paint 'em realistic! Deep in the ruins 'neath this land folks unearth rare machines that can paint a picture right from the world, perfectly. Bam! Just like that. But I say I could put those machines to shame! Just show me what I need to paint, and I'll get it down for you."

Hah, spooky magic things aren't gonna stop me. That just means she can afford to pay me better. And if she's not planning on paying, I can just suck the stuff out~

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
  • Morals? Ethics? Conscience? HA!
    • View Profile
« Reply #895 on: April 30, 2018, 04:58:37 am »

How much to reinforce Ecalir's armor (assuming we repair it first) from d6 to d8?

Range, mostly, and penetration. Also guns generally won't give someone time to try and dodge or react.
Am I correct that I could use the magic word 'sharpen' to increase the damage/penetration of crossbow bolts, but that this would't be possible for guns? Or would it work for both?

Buy the following (maybe quickly look this over to see if this all checks out?):
- really good backpack (10 gold)
- 2 gold worth of vials (10 silver for 1 gold, right?)
- good quality book&pen (4 gold ok?)
- 2 x shield (2 x 15 gold)
- 6 x 3 smokebombs (6 x 1 gold)
- 1 x magic sword scabbard (4 gold)
- 1 x staff assembly for magic glass orb (20 gold)
- 1 x thaumic flamethrower: 50 thaum tank, d10 str requirement, armored fuel tank (90 gold)
- some extra gas canisters for the flamethrower (5 gold ok for you?)
- protective box for seabottle, with lock (8 gold)
- food&housing&other crap (6 gold ok?)

Total: 185 gold

EDIT:
Spoiler: tinker results (click to show/hide)

« Last Edit: May 03, 2018, 05:21:03 am by Radio Controlled »

Einsteinian Roulette Wiki
Quote from: you know who you are
21:26   <XYZ>: I know nothing about this, but I have strong opinions about it.
Fucking hell, you guys are worse than the demons.

randomgenericusername

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #896 on: April 30, 2018, 06:55:11 am »

Retroactive action: Continue floating. I was going to do something else once Nina answered.

The dog behind the man behind the beard.
Immortality like that would be even more game breaking than four Aaron's in one place.
You're both so obviously scum that this is a surprisingly difficult decision.

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #897 on: April 30, 2018, 08:39:49 am »

how's adam?
He's floating above you in the shape of a liver. He seems contemplative, which is an oddity for him. You wonder how he knew there was a god down there and how he knew you could get something by going to see him.

Devastator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #898 on: May 01, 2018, 01:44:45 pm »

Let's tie everyone together, to the cart, as whatever it was didn't take the cart in the last instance.  After that, hold my breath and get ready with an expand spell in case this fog starts knocking people out.  (The expand spell is to be used on air in lungs so she can just breathe out without getting gassed.)

« Last Edit: May 01, 2018, 09:00:20 pm by Devastator »

Lenglon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #899 on: May 02, 2018, 07:16:31 am »

"Well, I don't have any major plans. Odds on I'll just head back to mesotherium, see if anyone had any requests for me while I was away."
Pages: 1 ... 58 59 [60] 61 62 ... 203