Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 61 62 [63] 64 65 ... 203

Author Topic: Cabal: Wizard Open World Game  (Read 343031 times)

randomgenericusername

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Cabal: The Death of Magic
« Reply #930 on: May 30, 2018, 08:17:13 pm »

"Hey, um, mind letting you show you around some?"
If Randolf accepts my offer, then show him where I live, so we'll have a place to meet up again. (whilst there check for messages left for me while I was out), then lead him around town showing him the good places to get items, jobs, food, etc. Since he seems to want to be an amateur Mage-breaker, and I already have an in with the local guards, also introduce them to each other, and offer to take on a few of the harder tasks that I'd been afraid to try to take on by myself.
"Yeah, I don't really know the place. I accept the offer."
Sure, do that instead.

Spoiler: Randolf Osborn (click to show/hide)
The dog behind the man behind the beard.
Immortality like that would be even more game breaking than four Aaron's in one place.
You're both so obviously scum that this is a surprisingly difficult decision.

Lenglon

• Bay Watcher
  • Everyone cries, the question is what follows it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #931 on: May 30, 2018, 08:26:00 pm »

((might want to strikethrough your old action))
((I don't think heating something that is right above us to a ridiculous degree is very smart. Worst case scenario we become +metal statues+. This is a finely crafted metal statue. It is encrusted with sharkmist and HMRC. On the item is an image of HMRC and Pancaek. Pancaek is laughing. The HMRC is melting. The artwork relates to the encasing of the HMRC in metal by Pancaek during the Mission of Many People.))

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #932 on: May 31, 2018, 01:38:34 pm »

What happens next?

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
I'm gonna assume you signaled the guards that you were done and that, sometime on the night of the second day, the lady client showed back up.

The unnamed woman looks at your painting with a sour expression of contained anger. She takes a deep breath, pinches the bridge of her nose, and has the painting carried out by two burly looking men.

"Its my fault for not making this clear but we need the image of him, unharmed, and either nude or vary lightly clothed. No background, no fancy pose.  A copy of that man." She says, pointing at the tied up nobleman. "Understand?"

About 5 gold enough for living expenses and a private room in an inn here?

In our private room, convert the crystal skull into mana (30 mana). 

Its a chaotic jumble but from what you can make out, this evening they're having exhibition bouts between new comers with the top 20 being immediately inducted into the ranks of gladiators.  According to people you ask, this happens every few weeks to replenish the ranks of the gladiators.
What exactly does this entail? Are gladiators bound to service or to a certain amount of matches or something? And how does the exhibition bout go exactly? Just gotta show of your moves, some nonlethal sparring, fighting a monster?

What about the betting? Is there a centralized system or just ad-hoc between people?

Finally, go inform a bit about what they do with dead monsters and if they could use a resurrector for dead gladiators.

Spoiler: Darwin Zeppeli (click to show/hide)
More than enough for a good inn for more than a week.

Done.

I'll assume you ask someone at the arena before finding a room. Basically, the arena recognizes two levels of participant; amateur and gladiator.  Normally a Amateur works their way up to gladiator by winning matches. Gladiators get paid more and have more access to different matches, but they're not bound to service or to stay and fight. Part of the reason they need to refill the ranks is because people leave. Exhibition matches are one on one matches with gear chosen for you. Rules vary but they're non-lethal baring accidents.

The arena has a betting system, but there area also independent bookies. The arena is obviously the more reputable of the two choices, but the bookies might offer different odds.

You ask around and find that monsters are generally cut up for parts and sold while gladiators, most being individuals rather than wards of the arena, are taken care of by their patrons, family, or given a modest burial. When you ask about resurrection, you get a wary glance and a warning about the practice of necromancy.

Summon a gorilla, aim for a d6 ape.  Try to get more size for the difficulty by summoning it for 24 hours instead of permanently.  If passed, use 'grow' as an illusion to make it look bigger and monsterous, say a d4 illusion.  Order it to roar and look intimidating this turn.  Then encourage the last guy to stick close to the wagons, and hug the next person on the rope

[2v3] -3 mana.

You point at a spot near by and push magic out towards it. The skeleton of a money or chimp seems to solidify out of blowing dust and the flesh begins to sprout a moment later, red bands of muscle extending to bridge the bones. It gets about halfway before something goes wrong. The creature, half formed, screams a gurgling scream and then collapses into thick red jelly.

If Randolf accepts my offer, then show him where I live, so we'll have a place to meet up again. (whilst there check for messages left for me while I was out), then lead him around town showing him the good places to get items, jobs, food, etc. Since he seems to want to be an amateur Mage-breaker, and I already have an in with the local guards, also introduce them to each other, and offer to take on a few of the harder tasks that I'd been afraid to try to take on by myself.
"Yeah, I don't really know the place. I accept the offer."
Sure, do that instead.

Spoiler: Nina (click to show/hide)
Nina and Randolf head back to Nina's house, where she collects about 12 messages before spending a few hours showing Randolf around. At the end she heads to the nearest guardhouse and talks Randolf up a bit before asking if there are any jobs they need doing; preferably magic related.  They confide that there has been something strange going on in town; several women have gone missing during the night, including one dragged out of her own bed through a window. No one has seen what did it, but it has that rogue magic user smell to it. 

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • what about full of shit? is that a meme too?
    • View Profile
« Reply #933 on: May 31, 2018, 01:53:59 pm »

"Yes, I think that I understand now."

Grapple and restrain the woman, holding my kukri to her neck. Begin the channeler drain.
"What you've done to this man is unjust and I won't take part in it. Call off your 'watchers' or I'll blow your head off with magic."

I live how my maker made me.
Broken broken tip to tail.

Devastator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #934 on: May 31, 2018, 03:16:16 pm »

Try it again!  d6 gorilla, d4 illusion, hug.

randomgenericusername

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #935 on: May 31, 2018, 03:26:27 pm »

"Details, man! The last time I accepted an ambiguous quest like that, I ended being chased underwater by a cult armed with hooks and horrible fish heads."
Inquire further. This time, I want more details that the last mission I had.

Immortality like that would be even more game breaking than four Aaron's in one place.

Lenglon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #936 on: May 31, 2018, 03:46:43 pm »

"I trust Randolf to make a good decision for the two of us, I have some requests backed up from while I was gone and need to attend to them."
Go check on everyone who was looking for me while I was out, I'll come back when I'm done, or go home if it takes me a long time and meet randolf there.
((I don't think heating something that is right above us to a ridiculous degree is very smart. Worst case scenario we become +metal statues+. This is a finely crafted metal statue. It is encrusted with sharkmist and HMRC. On the item is an image of HMRC and Pancaek. Pancaek is laughing. The HMRC is melting. The artwork relates to the encasing of the HMRC in metal by Pancaek during the Mission of Many People.))

randomgenericusername

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #937 on: May 31, 2018, 03:51:27 pm »

"Bye! I'll see ya later when I find a good job. Also, thanks for everything."

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
  • Morals? Ethics? Conscience? HA!
    • View Profile
« Reply #938 on: May 31, 2018, 05:55:32 pm »

I'll assume you ask someone at the arena before finding a room. Basically, the arena recognizes two levels of participant; amateur and gladiator.  Normally a Amateur works their way up to gladiator by winning matches. Gladiators get paid more and have more access to different matches, but they're not bound to service or to stay and fight. Part of the reason they need to refill the ranks is because people leave. Exhibition matches are one on one matches with gear chosen for you. Rules vary but they're non-lethal baring accidents.
Any entrance fee? And is magic allowed in these exhibition matches? Anyways, sign up Ecalir for one of these matches.

Are the prospective gladiators gathered anywhere (like a bar or gym or something)? If yes, go check out the opposition.

The arena has a betting system, but there area also independent bookies. The arena is obviously the more reputable of the two choices, but the bookies might offer different odds.
What kind of betting options are there with the official bookies? 

You ask around and find that monsters are generally cut up for parts and sold while gladiators, most being individuals rather than wards of the arena, are taken care of by their patrons, family, or given a modest burial. When you ask about resurrection, you get a wary glance and a warning about the practice of necromancy.

What? Necromancy? Oh no, wouldn't dream of it officer, why, this is merely some hard core healing. You know, the kind that fixes near anything.

So yeah, let's try that again, but don't overly mention necromancy, just ask if 'certain people' wouldn't be in need of a 'very good healer' for those already 'given up on' by the regular doctors.

« Last Edit: May 31, 2018, 05:57:04 pm by Radio Controlled »

Einsteinian Roulette Wiki
Quote from: you know who you are
21:26   <XYZ>: I know nothing about this, but I have strong opinions about it.
Fucking hell, you guys are worse than the demons.

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
Re: Cabal: Wizard Open World Game
« Reply #939 on: June 06, 2018, 11:30:04 am »

"Yes, I think that I understand now."

Grapple and restrain the woman, holding my kukri to her neck. Begin the channeler drain.
"What you've done to this man is unjust and I won't take part in it. Call off your 'watchers' or I'll blow your head off with magic."

[7v8]
You launch forward, intent on grabbing the woman mid-sentence, but she slips away from you by a hair's breath and two of her goons are immediately standing between you and her.  She smiles and then laughs, her face filled with sadistic amusement.

"Not good at accepting criticism are you, dear? Perhaps you'll be more willing like this." 

She presses her hand to your painting and you can feel magic congeal in the room, tingling across your skin. The painting catches fire and burns like flash paper, leaving only  the figure of the man in armor. It steps forward from the wall, like a reflection stepping out of a mirror, gaining depth and reality as it does.  He sets the helmet on his head and draws his longsword with a flourish.  He steps straight up to you and raises the point of his sword so that its level with your nose.

"Now then," The woman says, straightening her dress, "Do it again, as I said. And no funny business unless you want to die most ironically, at the hands of your own creations."

Try it again!  d6 gorilla, d4 illusion, hug.

[9,7]
You try it again, this time forcing a baboon into existence and then enlarging it. It swells from 4 feet to about 12 feet with fangs easily 8-9 inches long.  It stands and screeches, pounding its chest and bouncing up and down, bearing its teeth a making feinting charges forward a few feet before bounding backwards.  Its a very threatening and intimidating sort of display, but the insect men circle closer and a spray of what look like barbed hairs, each about 6 inches long and thread thin, at the ape. Most pass straight through, thanks to the fact it is mostly illusion, but a few it and the baboon gets even more angry. Its hard to stop it from charging at them.

"Details, man! The last time I accepted an ambiguous quest like that, I ended being chased underwater by a cult armed with hooks and horrible fish heads."
Inquire further. This time, I want more details that the last mission I had.

He tells you that so far; 7 women have vanished. They don't appear to have anything in common: differing appearances, different work, different social circles, different ages, etc. Most went missing while walking alone at night, usually in less populated areas, but one seemed to vanish in broad daylight and the other was pulled out through her window some time during the night. None have ever been found, and beyond the one pulled through the window there were never any signs of foul play or a struggle. They don't know who is doing it or why, but the fact that someone got dragged out of an upper story window with some force makes it seem like whatever is doing it isn't a normal human.

There's been no notes, no obvious motive, no bodies found.

"I trust Randolf to make a good decision for the two of us, I have some requests backed up from while I was gone and need to attend to them."
Go check on everyone who was looking for me while I was out, I'll come back when I'm done, or go home if it takes me a long time and meet randolf there.
Basically all your requests are requests for help with injuries or illness. A few are very minor, broken fingers or a bad cold, and a few are chronic illnesses you're used to dealing with, like the old woman with joint pain. Of the 12 there are 4 that seem serious, two sick children, one pair of broken legs, and a man who seems to have been paralyzed from a fall.

Any entrance fee? And is magic allowed in these exhibition matches? Anyways, sign up Ecalir for one of these matches.

Are the prospective gladiators gathered anywhere (like a bar or gym or something)? If yes, go check out the opposition.

What kind of betting options are there with the official bookies? 

What? Necromancy? Oh no, wouldn't dream of it officer, why, this is merely some hard core healing. You know, the kind that fixes near anything.

So yeah, let's try that again, but don't overly mention necromancy, just ask if 'certain people' wouldn't be in need of a 'very good healer' for those already 'given up on' by the regular doctors.

Five silver is the entrance fee. Magic is not usually allowed outside of some exhibition matches. Mostly because of damage to the arena being a risk.  You sign Eclair up.

The gladiator hopefuls are coming from everywhere and all walks of life so you might be able to find a few down by the arena in the taverns or the practice areas, but most won't show up till the day of.

The standard option is to bet per match, but there are also options like betting on one fighter to win a tournament at the start. Depends on the event, but in general there's simple bets per fight and then more complex bets that are harder to predict and thus pay out much better.

You try again, this time with more winks and nods. The man feigns understanding that there was a misunderstanding and asks if you have some contact info for when a client would want to hire you. 

Lenglon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #940 on: June 06, 2018, 11:59:22 am »

Go to them, the sick kids first, then the other serious, then the rest. Help them.

« Last Edit: June 06, 2018, 12:54:42 pm by Lenglon »

randomgenericusername

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #941 on: June 06, 2018, 12:04:52 pm »

"...Personally, I think it's pretty clear that the case with the window has no connection to the others. Same thing with the woman that vanished at broad daylight."

"Hmmmmm... Have you considered vampires? I think this town might have a vampire infestation."

Ask about the areas nearby the locations in which the women vanished at night. Ask if there's any connection between those places or if something between the women that could have made them targets.

« Last Edit: June 06, 2018, 03:30:57 pm by randomgenericusername »

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
  • Morals? Ethics? Conscience? HA!
    • View Profile
« Reply #942 on: June 06, 2018, 01:36:44 pm »

Five silver is the entrance fee. Magic is not usually allowed outside of some exhibition matches. Mostly because of damage to the arena being a risk.  You sign Eclair up.
Fee payed. What about magical weapons, like our runesword or thaumic flammenwerfer? Oh, and since these exhibition matches are 1v1, am I correct in guessing that it's like a small tournament bracket? If yes, does the winner get anything?

The standard option is to bet per match, but there are also options like betting on one fighter to win a tournament at the start. Depends on the event, but in general there's simple bets per fight and then more complex bets that are harder to predict and thus pay out much better.
What kind of money is normally bet here? Would a bet of 5 gold be considered strangely low? A bet of 100 gold extravagantly high?

You try again, this time with more winks and nods. The man feigns understanding that there was a misunderstanding and asks if you have some contact info for when a client would want to hire you. 
Give him our current address at the inn, make sure to mention that we'll only be in town for a while.

Then (again subtly and stuff) try to figure out who is responsible for processing the dead monsters and such. Idea is to find the people I'd need to bribe in order to be able to get a chance at dissecting a monster corpse before it gets cut up and sold for parts.

Finally, how much would a filled doctor's bag cost here? It was 50 gold in Glucinum but you did say it was fairly expensive there.

« Last Edit: June 08, 2018, 05:21:42 am by Radio Controlled »

Einsteinian Roulette Wiki
Quote from: you know who you are
21:26   <XYZ>: I know nothing about this, but I have strong opinions about it.
Fucking hell, you guys are worse than the demons.

Devastator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #943 on: June 06, 2018, 01:56:47 pm »

..what is my current mana status?

Devastator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #944 on: June 07, 2018, 05:33:09 pm »

Hug the next person in line for mana.  When done, try to strengthen the baboon's skin so it's tougher.  Again, to save costs, just try to have it last an hour or so.  If I have 4 or more mana left, try for a d8 grow on the baboon so it's actually bigger.

« Last Edit: June 07, 2018, 05:49:01 pm by Devastator »
Pages: 1 ... 61 62 [63] 64 65 ... 203