Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 63 64 [65] 66 67 ... 203

Author Topic: Cabal: Wizard Open World Game  (Read 338090 times)

randomgenericusername

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Cabal: The Death of Magic
« Reply #960 on: June 19, 2018, 07:56:09 pm »

"Alright, then what's your plan?"

Ask the guy if he can think about a better plan than mine without using actual women as bait or having people dress as women.

Spoiler: Randolf Osborn (click to show/hide)
The dog behind the man behind the beard.
Immortality like that would be even more game breaking than four Aaron's in one place.
You're both so obviously scum that this is a surprisingly difficult decision.

Pancaek

• Bay Watcher
  • Real stupidity beats artificial intelligence
    • View Profile
Re: Cabal: Wizard Open World Game
« Reply #961 on: June 20, 2018, 02:02:10 pm »

I return from my academic floundering. Go and tour the arena and see the sights, and figure out what the fight I'm going to be in will be like exactly

Spoiler:  Écalir Speedwagon (click to show/hide)

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #962 on: June 23, 2018, 12:21:42 pm »

"Ha! I could beat you fools with my hands tied. Is that all you've got?"

Slash at the painting with the kukri and draining it with my empty hand. Kick the machetes away if possible.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
[6v3][4]
You step on the machetes and kick them backwards, sending them sliding across the room and against the opposite wall. You then dart in and grab the painted man by the face, draining mana from him in a spray of golden sparks that race from his body and into yours. The painting golem grows dull and flat until it is literally nothing but a flat, animated piece of paper. It struggles to stand, flapping slowly like a flag in the breeze.

The two men, disarmed and clearly outmatched, make a break for the door, shouldering their way through and out into the street.

"Ah ha!" You shout, twirling your kukri, "Now then, I should probably deal with this situation before they get reenforcements."

The lady has passed out and is laying still, but breathing. The hostage is silent but looks rather...expectant. And the painting golem is trying to charge you but has fallen over and is stuck to a glob of paint on the floor.

"Alright, then what's your plan?"

Ask the guy if he can think about a better plan than mine without using actual women as bait or having people dress as women.

"I would say we stake out the areas they keep hitting. Women still walk through there everyday, we don't need to purposefully set up a bait situation. Besides, there's a chance whatever is doing this monitors the people moving through the territory. It might prefer chosen targets but strikes at opportunities when it gets them.  The thing we don't wanna do is be obvious and arouse suspicion. So far I don't think they know we're on to them. If they see a set up they might skip town, lose them forever."

"Okay. Um, here's what I'm seeing."
Explain the situation to the parents, including the likelyhood of it being a magical ailment and how I can't identify it specifically but not including what Adam said.
"I can message a couple other healers I know to try to get help, but they'll take a couple days to arrive. It'll be cutting it close, but they might be able to arrive in time. Alternately I can try to drain the magic from him, which hasn't been harmful in the past, but I've never tried it on someone as unhealthy as him. So I want your permission before I do anything."
If the parents give permission, then I'll drain the magic from him. If he seems to be getting harmed by it, then stop immediately. If they deny permission or I have to stop, then send for help.
Spoiler: Nina (click to show/hide)

The parents listen to you and then retreat to talk it over by themselves. You sit with the boy and wait. Most of the time people say yes to this kind of thing, trust the doctor. Sometimes they get afraid, lock up, go defensive and static. Too afraid to act, they let things progress in a mire of indecision until its too late to do anything. Then they often blame those that tried to help, rewriting things in their head to make themselves the victim. People are tedious sometimes.

You place your hand on the delirious child's forehead, sopping up sweat with your sleeve, and waiting.  Finally they come back. They ask you if there is any sort of test or divination you can do to make sure there's magic at work. They understand that it probably is, but they just want to know if you can do something to be more certain.

Hug the bugman from behind, try to drain mana from him.  I don't mind if the bugman's knocked out due to mana induced fatigue, so try to drain him more or less dry...  It was too bad he had to get hurt, but I can't really negotiate with creatures I can't understand.

Enlarging weapons to make them less useful is a possibility as a defensive act.  Are these bug-guys using any kind of tack to keep mounted on their giant bugs?  If so, maybe some judicious use of enlarge could cause their saddles to slip,  (enlarging tongue holes, making straps loose, etcetera), dismounting the bugman doing the riding.  That's also a possibility to defend myself or the others.

Lastly, how many bugmen are there, compared to people around the carts?

[3v5]
You dart in, attempting to get your arms around the bug man and suck enough mana out of him to render him helpless. But he either sees you coming or is just assuming you're going to attack because he hops, with surprising agility, a good 10 feet in the air and 15 feet away, back into the mist. You don't see him land, just vanish. Huh.

In the distance there is a reverberating bellowing noise,  like a brass horn the size of a small mountain being played.  The insects circle once more before suddenly breaking off and charging away into the mist, the sound of their retreat vanishing within moments.

You shop around for a bag and attempt to haggle people down from their starting prices but you end up annoying them so much that they actually raise them.
A doctors bag will be about 25-30 gold here. Cheaper if you can haggle someone down.

Oh well, though luck. Buy a doctor's bag for 30 gold, that still ok?

You start to explain things to the butcher and he interrupts you after a few sentences.

"Ain't no one coming down here to dissect out of curiosity. If you were one of those types with the time and money to do it, you'd just buy the corpse and have it taken to your estate or whatever you have. So you're either here to try and steal and smuggle guts or you're a wizard who wants some magic from the beasties." He punctuates the last sentence with a cleaving blow from his knife.

"If its guts you want, you'd best be leaving, but if its magic then I'll make you a deal." He looks up at your blank and somewhat shocked expression, "I've had two others like you come in here before." He says, grinning.

Try to get an idea of his character and whether he’s being honest about making a deal, or if he’s planning to betray me or rat me out. If he seems good for it, then let's make a deal. Ask him what monsters he still has available, mention that the fresher the better. Get an idea of how much I'd need to pay him for every monster I take a look at.

Then, out of curiosity (and certainly not for future necromancy fodder, no siree) ask how much buying a whole corpse would cost.

Spoiler: Darwin Zeppeli (click to show/hide)

Sure.

The man seems, judging from his speech and nonchalant attitude, to be on the level. You get the feeling he doesn't care and just wants to make a buck. At least thats your impression. You decide to make a deal.

"Ok, here's the deal. Every day there are games, I'll let you know. You come in and pay a gold per corpse and I let you dig around in them before I chop them up. They'll be freshly dead, just like you like them. We'll usually get a couple dozen corpses."

"Depends on the beast. I'm selling them based on the value of all the guts in them. Something with lots of medicinal parts gonna be more than something without, even if the medicinal one is a lot less...effective than the other."

I return from my academic floundering. Go and tour the arena and see the sights, and figure out what the fight I'm going to be in will be like exactly

The arena is pretty circular, just slightly ovoid.  It has what look like three distinct sets of graduated seats going from the lowest and nearest to the highest and furthest seats. There are no individual chairs just long wooden benches, at least in the normal seating areas. You can see several balconies jutting out of the second level of seating; providing nice overhead views for the more wealthy patrons, no doubt. The arena floor itself is flat for the moment, just an open dirt floor with several trap doors and platforms embedded in it. There are also several gates around the perimeter. You squint down and see there are attachment points in the dirt, places where obstacles and such could be affixed. They could probably have fairly elaborate setups.

Your fights will be one on one, with pre-selected equipment. They will go till first true blood; ie first to land a good blow, not a little cut or scuff. They have told everyone that killing your opponent is an automatic disqualification.

randomgenericusername

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #963 on: June 23, 2018, 12:28:39 pm »

"..."Them"? Since when are we talking about a group? It could perfectly be a single individual behind this. And how do you know it's an intelligent being? Maybe we're dealing with invisible monsters, too."

I feel he might have accidentaly revealed information that he wanted to hide intentionally. That's extremely suspicious! Inquire further about  "them" and why he's so sure that the ones behind this are multiple humans.

Immortality like that would be even more game breaking than four Aaron's in one place.

Lenglon

• Bay Watcher
  • Everyone cries, the question is what follows it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #964 on: June 23, 2018, 12:50:08 pm »

"I already did the only test that I know of to check for magic. It came back with there being magic acting on him, but I couldn't determine the type."
response. If they give the go-ahead then I'm going to try to drain the magic from him, stopping if it seems to harm him. If they decide against it, or if he responds poorly, then I'll instead send a request for help to other healers I know that might be able to arrive in time.

((I don't think heating something that is right above us to a ridiculous degree is very smart. Worst case scenario we become +metal statues+. This is a finely crafted metal statue. It is encrusted with sharkmist and HMRC. On the item is an image of HMRC and Pancaek. Pancaek is laughing. The HMRC is melting. The artwork relates to the encasing of the HMRC in metal by Pancaek during the Mission of Many People.))

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • Perhaps I'll
    • View Profile
« Reply #965 on: June 23, 2018, 10:54:52 pm »

((Hmm. Leng, you did recently make a new "friend" with powers very similar to your own, so if you want to reassure those people, you could get a second opinion.))
Down at the bottom of the ocean. Beneath tons of brine which would crush you down. Not into broken and splintered flesh, but into thin soup. Into just more of the sea water. Where things live that aren't so different from you, but you will never live to touch them and they will never live to touch you.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • Perhaps I'll
    • View Profile
« Reply #966 on: June 23, 2018, 11:05:50 pm »

"Adversaries: subdued. Suspect: under custody. Construct: reduced to harmless, but telling evidence. Batteries: charged. Only in Neth could I find how this went so well."

Retrieve the guards' weapons. Get a feel for one in my hand to test if it would be better than my own weapon. Free Lord Smithe and give him one of the machetes, tell him to be ready for a fight. Roll up the painting man, stick him in a painting tube, carry it with us.. Stabilize the lady if necessary, restrain her, and pick her up, draining in the process.

If no reinforcements have shown up by now, Head for the Magebreaker's HQ, ex-hostage, perp, and attempted murder weapon in tow. I'm sure they'll be interested in what I've got to say.

Down at the bottom of the ocean. Beneath tons of brine which would crush you down. Not into broken and splintered flesh, but into thin soup. Into just more of the sea water. Where things live that aren't so different from you, but you will never live to touch them and they will never live to touch you.

Lenglon

• Bay Watcher
  • Everyone cries, the question is what follows it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #967 on: June 23, 2018, 11:44:16 pm »

((Hmm. Leng, you did recently make a new "friend" with powers very similar to your own, so if you want to reassure those people, you could get a second opinion.))
((It's a nice idea, but I have doubts about his bedside manner...))
((I don't think heating something that is right above us to a ridiculous degree is very smart. Worst case scenario we become +metal statues+. This is a finely crafted metal statue. It is encrusted with sharkmist and HMRC. On the item is an image of HMRC and Pancaek. Pancaek is laughing. The HMRC is melting. The artwork relates to the encasing of the HMRC in metal by Pancaek during the Mission of Many People.))

Pancaek

• Bay Watcher
  • Real stupidity beats artificial intelligence
    • View Profile
« Reply #968 on: June 24, 2018, 07:09:57 pm »

No time like the present. Go and see what my first match will be like.

recieved doctor's bag and 20 mana from Darwin

« Last Edit: June 25, 2018, 05:39:22 pm by Pancaek »

Devastator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #969 on: June 24, 2018, 07:30:48 pm »

Recover everyone together and get a count of the survivors, checking if anyone is wounded.  After triaging the wounded and doing any immediate healing required, set out watches until morning, making sure there's a decent amount of wood to keep the bonfire burning.  Use an Enlarge spell if required, nobody should walk out into the mist to get wood, that'd be suicide.  Hug whoever needs to nap before next watch, as sleep will be required, mana may be required, and there's probably still too much excitement and adrenaline to allow for sleep.  If this isn't the case, that is, someone who has already been drained is going to sleep, skip that bit.

Anyway, keep watches until dawn breaks, and figure out the best way to continue.  Will we be able to recover the carts?  Should we, as we might be able to go more quickly on foot?  Should we go forwards to Lunare or back towards Crocus?  I don't think we are equipped to hunt after the missing people, and we'll need to notify others.. I can't see wandering out into the waste ending well, we're unlikely to find them and the bugmen will likely just ambush us again, this time with us down some people.

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
  • Morals? Ethics? Conscience? HA!
    • View Profile
« Reply #970 on: June 24, 2018, 07:31:57 pm »

Accept the deal with the butcher and tell him how he can reach me.

Give doctor's bag, as well as 20 mana, to ecalir. Convert half of the platinum bar into mana (+20 mana).

Finally, think of a good stage name for Ecalir. Go bet 25 gold on Ecalir winning his first match, and 25 gold that he will win the tournament.

« Last Edit: June 24, 2018, 07:39:23 pm by Radio Controlled »

Einsteinian Roulette Wiki
Quote from: you know who you are
21:26   <XYZ>: I know nothing about this, but I have strong opinions about it.
Fucking hell, you guys are worse than the demons.

Devastator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #971 on: June 24, 2018, 07:33:13 pm »

(Is there a better stage name than Écalir Speedwagon?)

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
  • Morals? Ethics? Conscience? HA!
    • View Profile
« Reply #972 on: June 24, 2018, 07:37:39 pm »

(Is there a better stage name than Écalir Speedwagon?)
(A fair point, hmm.)

Einsteinian Roulette Wiki
Quote from: you know who you are
21:26   <XYZ>: I know nothing about this, but I have strong opinions about it.
Fucking hell, you guys are worse than the demons.

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #973 on: June 26, 2018, 12:18:45 pm »

Accept the deal with the butcher and tell him how he can reach me.

Give doctor's bag, as well as 20 mana, to ecalir. Convert half of the platinum bar into mana (+20 mana).

Finally, think of a good stage name for Ecalir. Go bet 25 gold on Ecalir winning his first match, and 25 gold that he will win the tournament.

You accept the deal and give him the address to where you're staying, along with a gold for him to hire a messengerboy to come get you when the time comes.

Done.

[1] You register Eclair for the fighter under the name "Creampuff the Flatulent". Might not be a bad idea honestly, might shift the odds to be against him and net you more money. You put down 25 on his first match and then a long term bet of 25 to win.

No time like the present. Go and see what my first match will be like.

recieved doctor's bag and 20 mana from Darwin

You wait until they post the tournament bracket and find that not only have you been registered under a very silly name but that you are doing your first fight with what they call the "Scissor" gear vs someone with the "Turtle" gear. You ask around and find out you'll have a bladed gauntlet sort of thing and they'll have a large shield and spear.

The tournament is to start tomorrow morning.

Recover everyone together and get a count of the survivors, checking if anyone is wounded.  After triaging the wounded and doing any immediate healing required, set out watches until morning, making sure there's a decent amount of wood to keep the bonfire burning.  Use an Enlarge spell if required, nobody should walk out into the mist to get wood, that'd be suicide.  Hug whoever needs to nap before next watch, as sleep will be required, mana may be required, and there's probably still too much excitement and adrenaline to allow for sleep.  If this isn't the case, that is, someone who has already been drained is going to sleep, skip that bit.

Anyway, keep watches until dawn breaks, and figure out the best way to continue.  Will we be able to recover the carts?  Should we, as we might be able to go more quickly on foot?  Should we go forwards to Lunare or back towards Crocus?  I don't think we are equipped to hunt after the missing people, and we'll need to notify others.. I can't see wandering out into the waste ending well, we're unlikely to find them and the bugmen will likely just ambush us again, this time with us down some people.

You spring into action, gathering every survivor together. There aren't many, maybe 1/3rd of the original group, not counting you and your guards. But none of them are injured.  You're in the process of getting ready to hug and setup watches when the dawn suddenly breaks and the mist is boiled away in under 30 seconds.  This is rather a surprise to you because the sun should not be coming up for a good while longer, by your estimation of time. Its like the night lasted 15 minutes. But when the mist is gone and you can see again, the world out there is the same as when you left it, same strip of dirt in the middle of nowhere.

"Adversaries: subdued. Suspect: under custody. Construct: reduced to harmless, but telling evidence. Batteries: charged. Only in Neth could I find how this went so well."

Retrieve the guards' weapons. Get a feel for one in my hand to test if it would be better than my own weapon. Free Lord Smithe and give him one of the machetes, tell him to be ready for a fight. Roll up the painting man, stick him in a painting tube, carry it with us.. Stabilize the lady if necessary, restrain her, and pick her up, draining in the process.

If no reinforcements have shown up by now, Head for the Magebreaker's HQ, ex-hostage, perp, and attempted murder weapon in tow. I'm sure they'll be interested in what I've got to say.

You grab one of the machettes. Feels like it would do about the same damage as your kukri.  You stick it in your bag before cutting Smithe free and giving him the other machete. He thanks you and shows remarkable level-headedness for a noble, getting ready to go without a fuss.  You roll the painting golem up and, not finding a tube, stick him in a box instead. That done you check on the woman. She's alive but you've ruptured both her eyes and pulped her face into a bloody mess.
[1v7]
You slap some fabric on her face in a sort of makeshift bandage. It quickly fills with blood. And then she stops breathing.

"Oh thats right. Breathing. Hm."

"I already did the only test that I know of to check for magic. It came back with there being magic acting on him, but I couldn't determine the type."
response. If they give the go-ahead then I'm going to try to drain the magic from him, stopping if it seems to harm him. If they decide against it, or if he responds poorly, then I'll instead send a request for help to other healers I know that might be able to arrive in time.

You reassure them and after a few minutes of quiet talking agree to let you try.
[7v18]
You place your hand on the child's forehead and let your power wander into his flesh. You don't drain him or force magic in, you just extend your senses. You flow through him like fingers pushing through hot marshmallow, pushing through without issue. And then, buried in the marshmallow, you wrap your hands around a white hot ball bearing.  The child's eyes open and its head turns to look at you. It doesn't have normal eyes; it has solid black eyes with a single hard pinprick of red light in the center.

BEGONE

The skin on your hand and halfway up your arm tears away, blown into a thousand tiny shreds as though by a great wind. Your fingers bend back, breaking all at once, and then you're flying. You think you went through a window because the next moment you have any meaningful grasp of reality you are laying on the street outside in a pile of glass.

"Ow."

"..."Them"? Since when are we talking about a group? It could perfectly be a single individual behind this. And how do you know it's an intelligent being? Maybe we're dealing with invisible monsters, too."

I feel he might have accidentaly revealed information that he wanted to hide intentionally. That's extremely suspicious! Inquire further about  "them" and why he's so sure that the ones behind this are multiple humans.

"They as in gender neutral they, like 'it'.   I don't know if its male, female or some third thing, if its sapient or not, human or not. They seems a reasonable pronoun but we can call the perpetrator whatever you want." 

randomgenericusername

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #974 on: June 26, 2018, 12:26:53 pm »

"...Oh."

Well, I tried my best but there's nothing I can do about this situation. Tell the guy to try to hire a detective for this instead of a common mercenary and leave. Maybe wander around the town trying to find something interesting or another job opportunity. Try to gather rumors too, mainly about the mage breakers.

Pages: 1 ... 63 64 [65] 66 67 ... 203