Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 203

Author Topic: Cabal: Wizard Open World Game  (Read 337982 times)

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
Cabal: Wizard Open World Game
« on: April 25, 2017, 07:50:53 pm »

CABAL: THE DEATH OF MAGIC
At the University in Alkahest they used to say that Magic is the perfect force, below and above all others, simultaneously greater and lesser than heat and light and kinetic energy and all other manifestations of power. All things spring from it yet are under its sway, and mastery of it grants mastery of all things. It bound our society together just as it held the world in place; it powered our machines and healed our sick, replaced the chisels and brushes of our artists, and even the lowest beggar could summon a flame to keep himself warm. And so our cities rose, endless forests of marble columns and domed roofs, Prismatic furnaces and Thaumic forges burning with prismatic flame from dawn to dusk, slivered streets gleaming like liquid mercury beneath the purple flame of constantly burning etherlamps. We flurished in that utopia, thinking ourselves invincible as we weaved stone and steel with careless abandon, as our leaders grew to become demigods, as we siphoned limitless power from the ether.

But it was not to last.

What is this?
Cabal is a game in a world of wonders gone wrong, the era of the death of magic. Its Mad Max if you replace Gasoline with Mana and Gangs of homicidal punks riding souped-up hot rods with gangs of homicidal wizards riding clockwork horses, mini zeppelins or summoned elementals. You can build what you want if you have the crap, cast what you want if you have the mana, and kill who you want as long as they don't kill you first.

Yeah, but What do we do in it?
Basically, this world is your oyster, and it’s up to you to decide what you want to do with it. You could gather some friends into a gang or ‘cabal’ to try and rule this little burnt out slice of the world. Or you could be a trader trying to earn ALL the money. Join the mage breakers and go hunt bandits and rogue wizards, or become an inventor devising constructs of madness and woe.

Maybe you wanna just wander around, explore the world, become the best wizard possible. Torch some idiots on the way. Maybe you wanna loot some towns or hunt some looters. It’s all good. Whatever kind of adventure you’re looking for, it’s out there, somewhere. And if you need some help to get started, why not follow the publicly available Rumors (see the post after this one) that act as missions to get you magical items and money?

Note that you usually start as a wizard, but you aren’t explicitly restricted to this. Want to go for a challenge run as a magicless warrior and bash some nerds? Go for it! If you are uncertain of what your options or limitations are in this regard, just ask me in the thread and we’ll work something out.

Where can I find the full rules?
Right HERE
The rules are split into a 1 and a half page summary at the top, with detailed info afterwards. There's a character sheet at the very bottom. Just fill that crap out. Note that the game originally was oriented more for secret play between cabals, but you don’t have to pay that any mind if you don’t want to. These days it's more of a freeroam wizard adventure world. You'll probably still die hilariously and painfully though, some things never quite change.

Where is the map?
HERE
Beware, it is fucking huge. And poorly drawn.
There is also a version of the map with an added grid, together with an annotated list for finding specific towns more easily. You can find it HERE.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2018, 08:21:55 am by piecewise »

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
Re: Cabal: The Death of Magic
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2017, 07:51:22 pm »

RUMORS

Scrappers from Fearce have been going missing lately.

Strange things have be sighted in The Black Flux

A man is said to have reached apotheosis in Kaolin

Strange lights sighted above Lake Candentis

DISCOVERIES
Vast caverns and lost cities below Glucinum

Downed Zeppelin near Matrass

Cult in Lake Limus, now Vanquished. Phaganeda erased from the map.

Very Angry Tortoise, last sighted near Crocus.

« Last Edit: June 04, 2018, 08:20:43 am by piecewise »

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • Perhaps I'll
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2017, 07:56:09 pm »

This, the third post, shall henceforth act as the primary Zerthel Zentol public space!
Anything that we wish to make public can be put here, where it can be easily found starting from the first page.

If you wish to communicate with us, simply send a PM to me, syvarris, or any other member. Be sure to CC Piecewise, in accordance with the game rules!

Information Repository

Spoiler: Sculptors' Sculptures (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: May 15, 2017, 08:02:36 am by Egan_BW »
Down at the bottom of the ocean. Beneath tons of brine which would crush you down. Not into broken and splintered flesh, but into thin soup. Into just more of the sea water. Where things live that aren't so different from you, but you will never live to touch them and they will never live to touch you.

MidnightJaguar

• Bay Watcher
  • This god shows no mercy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2017, 08:47:14 pm »

in as well.
23:31:46 <pancaeks> "Today on mystery science with the eggheads: we created these sentient crystal people, now we're going to find out if they explode!"

MainPiston: Epilogue.

Gentlefish

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: balloon-like qualities]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2017, 08:55:25 pm »

This looks fun! Who wants to cabal up?

OceanSoul

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed with Exponential Hiatuses
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2017, 08:59:12 pm »

Looking at a Servant Gut-reader. Also, I could've sworn you proposed some rudimentary form of this idea at the end of some Perplexicon thread or somewhere.
Work on a potential forum game for my return to Bay12. Figure out parts that puzzled me before. Find more things to figure out that I can't. Work on another game instead of solving them. Get distracted and stop working. Remember it a week or two later. Remember I'm still on hiatus. Illogically, Be too ashamed to return yet. Repeat ad nauseam.

Finally have a game completely ready. Wait a week before posting it out of laziness.

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2017, 09:04:48 pm »

Looking at a Servant Gut-reader. Also, I could've sworn you proposed some rudimentary form of this idea at the end of some Perplexicon thread or somewhere.
Indeed! Ah, memories.

There are a few references to Perplexicon in here, if you can find them. The world is really big though, so you might have to explore a lot.

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2017, 09:18:29 pm »

Totally in.  LFG
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

Dermonster

• Bay Watcher
  • Break the world, see what falls out.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2017, 09:22:11 pm »

Goals of the
Fellowship In Flying Towers
1: Build a flying mobile fortress

2: Travel the world, look for fun things to fight, nab interesting people, discover interesting magic.

3: Expand the tower, become a flying city. Rule like the anime kings we are.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2017, 11:11:54 pm by Dermonster »
I can do anything I want, as long as I accept the consequences.
"Y'know, my favorite thing about being a hero is that it gives you all kinds of narrative justification to just slay any ol' jerk who gets in the way - Black Mage.
"The bulk of [Derm]'s atrocities seem to stem from him doing things that [Magic] doesn't actually do." - TvTropes
"Dammit Derm!" - You, if I'm doing it right.
Moved to SufficientVelocity / Spacebattles.

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 25, 2017, 09:39:54 pm »

I assume that Cabals can have all sorts of different mages in them?
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

Beirus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 25, 2017, 09:44:59 pm »

Imma make a sheet for this.
Because everything is Megaman when you have an arm cannon.

Dermonster

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 25, 2017, 10:00:11 pm »

I'll look all this over in a few hours, as WoW is currently consuming my attention.
"Y'know, my favorite thing about being a hero is that it gives you all kinds of narrative justification to just slay any ol' jerk who gets in the way - Black Mage.
"The bulk of [Derm]'s atrocities seem to stem from him doing things that [Magic] doesn't actually do." - TvTropes

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #13 on: April 25, 2017, 10:33:04 pm »

I assume that Cabals can have all sorts of different mages in them?
There's no rules against it, least not game rules. Cabal makers might not want you but there's no game reason for it.

Also, I've already got people considering their torture empires in IRC.

Its a good day.

Dermonster

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 25, 2017, 10:41:40 pm »

What irc?
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 203