Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 62 63 [64] 65 66 ... 203

Author Topic: Cabal: Wizard Open World Game  (Read 342984 times)

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
  • Morals? Ethics? Conscience? HA!
    • View Profile
Re: Cabal: Wizard Open World Game
« Reply #945 on: June 07, 2018, 06:10:54 pm »

By the way, in case some of you hadn't noticed yet, the OP has been updated a little to more accurately reflect the new nature of the game. More importantly for us well seasoned wizards however is that the rumors have been updated with three new quests, and that there is a new section called 'discoveries'. This lists both some locations of interest from previous rumors (such as the lost cities below Glucinum for would-be cavers to explore further) as well as some of our exploits, such as the cult in lake Limus being destroyed.

Einsteinian Roulette Wiki
Quote from: you know who you are
21:26   <XYZ>: I know nothing about this, but I have strong opinions about it.
Fucking hell, you guys are worse than the demons.

randomgenericusername

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #946 on: June 07, 2018, 07:38:59 pm »

That's very useful, thanks. Maybe following these rumors could help Randolf in his quest of becoming part of the mage breakers.
The dog behind the man behind the beard.
Immortality like that would be even more game breaking than four Aaron's in one place.
You're both so obviously scum that this is a surprisingly difficult decision.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • what about full of shit? is that a meme too?
    • View Profile
Re: Cabal: The Death of Magic
« Reply #947 on: June 07, 2018, 10:39:19 pm »

Zavi's eye's go wide when her painting comes to life.
"Oh, but he's beautiful!"

Only one thing for it. Step forwards, sidestepping the sword, and embrace "my creation". Act as if I'm in love with it and not intimidated in the slightest, being to busy admiring the fine work. Get an exact read on how much mana is present in the construct.
Also, estimate the challenge die associated with will-summoning a deadly explosion inside the woman's body at this distance.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
I live how my maker made me.
Broken broken tip to tail.

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #948 on: June 12, 2018, 12:04:15 pm »

Go to them, the sick kids first, then the other serious, then the rest. Help them.

Spoiler: Nina (click to show/hide)
[1v5]
The first sick child you visit stumps you entirely. They have a fever that has been slowly but steadily rising over the last several days. It started out quite minor but now he's confined to bed and getting worse. If it continues he'll die in a few days. The odd thing is that he has no other symptoms, nothing else you'd expect to see in a flu or infection.  You're not aware of any disease that acts like this; its doesn't really even make sense: fever is a response to disease, why isn't the body responding in other ways as well?

"...Personally, I think it's pretty clear that the case with the window has no connection to the others. Same thing with the woman that vanished at broad daylight."

"Hmmmmm... Have you considered vampires? I think this town might have a vampire infestation."

Ask about the areas nearby the locations in which the women vanished at night. Ask if there's any connection between those places or if something between the women that could have made them targets.

Spoiler: Randolf Osborn (click to show/hide)
The areas are mostly trade and commerce related; shop stalls and merchant buildings and the like. Abandoned at night, or at least very lightly traveled. The women had no connection to those areas other than that they had to move through them at night, or at least on the night of their disappearances. A few moved through their regularly but others only cut through there that night and weren't normal visitors, so to speak. They appear to have been targets of opportunity more than carefully selected victims.

As per a supernatural motive or perpetrator, they hadn't ruled it out but there's no evidence for or against it at the moment so its hard to make an educated guess.

Five silver is the entrance fee. Magic is not usually allowed outside of some exhibition matches. Mostly because of damage to the arena being a risk.  You sign Eclair up.
Fee payed. What about magical weapons, like our runesword or thaumic flammenwerfer? Oh, and since these exhibition matches are 1v1, am I correct in guessing that it's like a small tournament bracket? If yes, does the winner get anything?

The standard option is to bet per match, but there are also options like betting on one fighter to win a tournament at the start. Depends on the event, but in general there's simple bets per fight and then more complex bets that are harder to predict and thus pay out much better.
What kind of money is normally bet here? Would a bet of 5 gold be considered strangely low? A bet of 100 gold extravagantly high?

You try again, this time with more winks and nods. The man feigns understanding that there was a misunderstanding and asks if you have some contact info for when a client would want to hire you. 
Give him our current address at the inn, make sure to mention that we'll only be in town for a while.

Then (again subtly and stuff) try to figure out who is responsible for processing the dead monsters and such. Idea is to find the people I'd need to bribe in order to be able to get a chance at dissecting a monster corpse before it gets cut up and sold for parts.

Finally, how much would a filled doctor's bag cost here? It was 50 gold in Glucinum but you did say it was fairly expensive there.

Spoiler: Darwin Zeppeli (click to show/hide)
In this set of upcoming matches no, you use preselected gear, but in other matches you can use your own most of the time.

The prize is to become a gladiator. There's a small cash prize to, but really the big prize is gladiator status and all the perks it provides.

This is a port town so all sorts of people end up betting. Your average worker might bet a gold or two over several matches, a few silver each time. The more wealthy might bet 5-10 gold a match, while the very wealthy might throw down hundreds. You can make your bets privately so as not to draw the attention of other patrons, if you want.

You ask about the monster processing and the refer you to someone in the underground sections of the arena. You find them in a sunken stone abattoir near the edge of the underground maze; there are all manner of beasts piled in their room, a large stone slab,  numerous clay jars sealed with wax paper and twine, and a pit. The man is busily hacking through a corpse, expertly seperating out pieces and placing them in pots before sweeping the refuse into the pit.

A doctors bag will be about 25-30 gold here. Cheaper if you can haggle someone down.

Hug the next person in line for mana.  When done, try to strengthen the baboon's skin so it's tougher.  Again, to save costs, just try to have it last an hour or so.  If I have 4 or more mana left, try for a d8 grow on the baboon so it's actually bigger.

The people are pretty scared so you muster up 6 mana from one of them.
[1+1v6]
Again you attempt to modify the monkey and again the spell fails, but this time more dramatically. The ape's skin vanishes all together and it goes from leaping in rage to screeching and laying on the ground, limbs thrashing randomly as it bleeds to death. A moment later it vanishes all together.

As it does, one of the insect horsemen breaks from the circling pack and charges in, swinging a catch pole down  at you. [2v6] The blow catches you right at the waist and in an instant you've been dragged up into the air, suspended atop the catchpole like a trophy as the bug rides back towards the fog.
[4v4]
Before it can make it, a crossbow bolt from one of your body guards catches it in the shoulder. The blow doesn't injure the creature, thick carapace and all, but it knocks it from the saddle with a wet sucking noise and you both tumble to the ground.

Zavi's eye's go wide when her painting comes to life.
"Oh, but he's beautiful!"

Only one thing for it. Step forwards, sidestepping the sword, and embrace "my creation". Act as if I'm in love with it and not intimidated in the slightest, being to busy admiring the fine work. Get an exact read on how much mana is present in the construct.
Also, estimate the challenge die associated with will-summoning a deadly explosion inside the woman's body at this distance.

[4v1]
You step forward with arms open and hug the creature. You get an instant read on it; 6 mana, its not as strong as you anticipated. You babble on about your love of it and the purpose of art while squinting at the lady with a side long, calculating glare. She's close, though putting it in her body will be harder. D8 in her body, d6 just right next to her face.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #949 on: June 12, 2018, 12:17:04 pm »

So fucking glad that worked. Already died ignobly once this week.

randomgenericusername

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #950 on: June 12, 2018, 03:17:05 pm »

"Well..."

"I do have a plan. But you're probably not going to like it."

Ask if the guy could dress as a woman. We could go to those abandoned trade areas at night, he acts as a bait and I watch closely while hidden behind a stall. Assure him that I'm a master wizard hunter and that he has nothing to be afaird of because he's not really a woman, so he agrees to be the bait during the night.

The dog behind the man behind the beard.
Immortality like that would be even more game breaking than four Aaron's in one place.
You're both so obviously scum that this is a surprisingly difficult decision.

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #951 on: June 12, 2018, 03:35:01 pm »

You ask about the monster processing and the refer you to someone in the underground sections of the arena. You find them in a sunken stone abattoir near the edge of the underground maze; there are all manner of beasts piled in their room, a large stone slab,  numerous clay jars sealed with wax paper and twine, and a pit. The man is busily hacking through a corpse, expertly seperating out pieces and placing them in pots before sweeping the refuse into the pit.

Start talking to the man, say that I'm interested in his work and in monsters in general. Maybe help him out a bit. Try to get a feeling of what he's like and whether he'd be amenable to letting me dig through some monster corpses before he cuts them up in return for us, ahh, accidentally dropping some change. All very subtle, of course.

Related to this, is there a decent chance for me to find a word inside a corpses that has (presumably) been dead for a while?

Finally, could I use my word 'sharpen' to temporarily sharpen my senses, to improve the odds of finding a word? Or maybe 'viscera'? Or a combination of those two?

This is a port town so all sorts of people end up betting.
What kind of goods pass through this town? Only boring/normal stuff like food or cloth, or also some more interesting things like artifacts or foreign made machines or something?

A doctors bag will be about 25-30 gold here. Cheaper if you can haggle someone down.
Yeah, shop around for a filled doctor's bag, try to negotiate a good deal. If I can negotiate down to 15 gold or less, buy 2 bags.

« Last Edit: June 17, 2018, 09:48:43 am by Radio Controlled »

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #952 on: June 12, 2018, 08:24:50 pm »

YOOOOOOOOOLOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Drain. Simultaneously, explode her head. Even if it's not perfectly accurate, it should stun/ko her, hopefully preventing the construct from attacking if I can't fully drain it in time. If any of the minions try to attack me, parry with the Kukri.

Devastator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #953 on: June 15, 2018, 10:34:33 am »

(The dice, they hate me.)

Okay.  Next up, do another hug.  This time instead of summoning something, try to use the Enlarge word to disable the weapons of any antmen who attack.  Enlarging those blowguns or whatever they're using to make them unusable, or making those hook-poles too unwieldly to actually use.

Lenglon

• Bay Watcher
  • Everyone cries, the question is what follows it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #954 on: June 15, 2018, 12:57:27 pm »

Hmm. Do I have a way to check if this is a magical ailment since I'm a channeler? And do I know someone else I could ask for help saving the boy that might be more knowledgeable?

((I don't think heating something that is right above us to a ridiculous degree is very smart. Worst case scenario we become +metal statues+. This is a finely crafted metal statue. It is encrusted with sharkmist and HMRC. On the item is an image of HMRC and Pancaek. Pancaek is laughing. The HMRC is melting. The artwork relates to the encasing of the HMRC in metal by Pancaek during the Mission of Many People.))

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #955 on: June 18, 2018, 09:45:08 pm »

"Well..."

"I do have a plan. But you're probably not going to like it."

Ask if the guy could dress as a woman. We could go to those abandoned trade areas at night, he acts as a bait and I watch closely while hidden behind a stall. Assure him that I'm a master wizard hunter and that he has nothing to be afaird of because he's not really a woman, so he agrees to be the bait during the night.

"I have an idea.  First you need to dress as a woman and then-"

"No."

"Aw come on man, what is one night in a dress compared to a lifetime of justice!"

"No."

"How about just a wig?"

"No."

"Skirt?"

"No- thats worse than the wig! Do you not know how to haggle?"

"...So have you heard of a-"

"No."

Start talking to the man, say that I'm interested in his work and in monsters in general. Maybe help him out a bit. Try to get a feeling of what he's like and whether he'd be amenable to letting me dig through some monster corpses before he cuts them up in return for us, ahh, accidentally dropping some change. All very subtle, of course.

Related to this, is there a decent chance for me to find a word inside a corpses that has (presumably) been dead for a while?

Finally, could I use my word 'sharpen' to temporarily sharpen my senses, to improve the odds of finding a word? Or maybe 'viscera'? Or a combination of those two?

This is a port town so all sorts of people end up betting.
What kind of goods pass through this town? Only boring/normal stuff like food or cloth, or also some more interesting things like artifacts or foreign made machines or something?

Yeah, shop around for a filled doctor's bag, try to negotiate a good deal. If I can negotiate down to 15 gold or less, buy 2 bags.

You start to explain things to the butcher and he interrupts you after a few sentences.

"Ain't no one coming down here to dissect out of curiosity. If you were one of those types with the time and money to do it, you'd just buy the corpse and have it taken to your estate or whatever you have. So you're either here to try and steal and smuggle guts or you're a wizard who wants some magic from the beasties." He punctuates the last sentence with a cleaving blow from his knife.

"If its guts you want, you'd best be leaving, but if its magic then I'll make you a deal." He looks up at your blank and somewhat shocked expression, "I've had two others like you come in here before." He says, grinning.

There is some chance, but it goes down with time.

You could use the combination or just one or the other. Both would make it easier.

Most of it is mundane, obviously, but there's also a market in artifact and items from other shores, along with slaves, women, men, beasts, and just about anything else.

[2v7]
You shop around for a bag and attempt to haggle people down from their starting prices but you end up annoying them so much that they actually raise them.

YOOOOOOOOOLOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Drain. Simultaneously, explode her head. Even if it's not perfectly accurate, it should stun/ko her, hopefully preventing the construct from attacking if I can't fully drain it in time. If any of the minions try to attack me, parry with the Kukri.

[1][7v5] -5 mana, +1 mana

You whip  your head around and point a finger gun at the lady while digging your fingers into the painting man's back and tearing some mana out of him.

"Bang."

There's no real build up or warning, the air in front of her face just explodes with enough force to completely deafen you and badly impair your vision.  She goes down, holding her face and screaming in a completely horrific way. Blood is pouring out between her fingers and her screams are half gurgling.
[4v5, 6v3, 6v2]

You leap back and  draw your Kukri, squaring up with the two thugs (who seem mildly disoriented and blinded) and the painting man.  The painting steps forward with a flourish and brings his blade down at your head. You catch it with the Kukri but only deflect the blow so much. It slams into your wooden armguard and shaves off a large chunk of the right one. The guard draw things that look like square machetes and advance, but you easily out space their blows  and, with a twist of your wrist, jerk their weapons from their hands.

(The dice, they hate me.)

Okay.  Next up, do another hug.  This time instead of summoning something, try to use the Enlarge word to disable the weapons of any antmen who attack.  Enlarging those blowguns or whatever they're using to make them unusable, or making those hook-poles too unwieldly to actually use.

[8v3][5]
You scramble away from the fallen bug thing and into your guard's arms. You pull five mana from her and notice that her face is growing pale and tired. You're pulling too much power from these people; take much more and they won't be able to keep going.

You switch back into defensive mode, waiting for a bugman to attack so you can counter. Its dangerous but also the most conservative use of your magic.  The downed bugman  rises to his feet and immediately catches another crossbow bolt, this time in his head. It seems to...well he slows down but he doesn't stop. He trudges forward, leaking ichor from a ruined compound eye and chittering loudly with fluid covered mandibles. He grabs at you with his bare hands and you consider for an instant if this counts as a weapon worth shrinking.
[4]
You decide not and just try to dodge away.
[4v2]
You duck under the grab and circle around behind him, arms up in your best fighting pose. Its not very good but damn it, you're trying.

Hmm. Do I have a way to check if this is a magical ailment since I'm a channeler? And do I know someone else I could ask for help saving the boy that might be more knowledgeable?

[5v6]
You put your hand on the child and try to sense any sort of magical interference or infiltration. You can feel...something but you have no idea what it is. Its magic but...you can't say what.

Adam slithers over your shoulder in the form of a pancreas and whispers "Bloodlust. Consumed".

There are other healers you know but they're not in town. A day or more off for a message to reach them, another day or more for them to come here. Cutting it close, but might work.

Lenglon

• Bay Watcher
  • Everyone cries, the question is what follows it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #956 on: June 18, 2018, 10:02:24 pm »

"Okay. Um, here's what I'm seeing."
Explain the situation to the parents, including the likelyhood of it being a magical ailment and how I can't identify it specifically but not including what Adam said.
"I can message a couple other healers I know to try to get help, but they'll take a couple days to arrive. It'll be cutting it close, but they might be able to arrive in time. Alternately I can try to drain the magic from him, which hasn't been harmful in the past, but I've never tried it on someone as unhealthy as him. So I want your permission before I do anything."
If the parents give permission, then I'll drain the magic from him. If he seems to be getting harmed by it, then stop immediately. If they deny permission or I have to stop, then send for help.
((I don't think heating something that is right above us to a ridiculous degree is very smart. Worst case scenario we become +metal statues+. This is a finely crafted metal statue. It is encrusted with sharkmist and HMRC. On the item is an image of HMRC and Pancaek. Pancaek is laughing. The HMRC is melting. The artwork relates to the encasing of the HMRC in metal by Pancaek during the Mission of Many People.))

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #957 on: June 18, 2018, 11:01:36 pm »

"Ha! I could beat you fools with my hands tied. Is that all you've got?"

Slash at the painting with the kukri and draining it with my empty hand. Kick the machetes away if possible.

« Last Edit: June 23, 2018, 10:51:25 pm by Egan_BW »

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #958 on: June 19, 2018, 07:32:24 am »

You shop around for a bag and attempt to haggle people down from their starting prices but you end up annoying them so much that they actually raise them.

Oh well, though luck. Buy a doctor's bag for 30 gold, that still ok?

You start to explain things to the butcher and he interrupts you after a few sentences.

"Ain't no one coming down here to dissect out of curiosity. If you were one of those types with the time and money to do it, you'd just buy the corpse and have it taken to your estate or whatever you have. So you're either here to try and steal and smuggle guts or you're a wizard who wants some magic from the beasties." He punctuates the last sentence with a cleaving blow from his knife.

"If its guts you want, you'd best be leaving, but if its magic then I'll make you a deal." He looks up at your blank and somewhat shocked expression, "I've had two others like you come in here before." He says, grinning.

Try to get an idea of his character and whether he’s being honest about making a deal, or if he’s planning to betray me or rat me out. If he seems good for it, then let's make a deal. Ask him what monsters he still has available, mention that the fresher the better. Get an idea of how much I'd need to pay him for every monster I take a look at.

Then, out of curiosity (and certainly not for future necromancy fodder, no siree) ask how much buying a whole corpse would cost.

« Last Edit: June 21, 2018, 11:15:35 am by Radio Controlled »

Devastator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #959 on: June 19, 2018, 12:03:55 pm »

Hug the bugman from behind, try to drain mana from him.  I don't mind if the bugman's knocked out due to mana induced fatigue, so try to drain him more or less dry...  It was too bad he had to get hurt, but I can't really negotiate with creatures I can't understand.

Enlarging weapons to make them less useful is a possibility as a defensive act.  Are these bug-guys using any kind of tack to keep mounted on their giant bugs?  If so, maybe some judicious use of enlarge could cause their saddles to slip,  (enlarging tongue holes, making straps loose, etcetera), dismounting the bugman doing the riding.  That's also a possibility to defend myself or the others.

Lastly, how many bugmen are there, compared to people around the carts?

Pages: 1 ... 62 63 [64] 65 66 ... 203