Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 67 68 [69] 70 71 ... 203

Author Topic: Cabal: Wizard Open World Game  (Read 342786 times)

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
Re: Cabal: Wizard Open World Game
« Reply #1020 on: July 18, 2018, 03:03:40 pm »

"I DON'T EVEN KNOW WHAT'S GOING ON!! YOU VERY UGLY THING!!"

Throw my club at the ugly face of the long creature grabbing me to free my weapon hand. Grab the monster hand in my neck and suck all of it's life energy. Defend myself from any attacks with my shield.

Spoiler: Randolf Osborn (click to show/hide)
You whip your club at the nearest of the two, aiming right for its face. The creature darts back away from the thing, dodging it easily. But you don't hesitate; instead you shove yourself off the wall and leap forward, grabbing the other beast's wrist and sucking power out of it. [+2 mana] Its mana is horrible. It feels like sludge being injected into your veins. The Creature screeches and grabs you by the face. You hear it speak a word but you can't understand what it said. Then you're laying outside. You have the vague recollection of being propelled backwards through the wall but you're too stunned to really put together the series of events that led you to this moment.

"I DON'T EVEN KNOW WHAT'S GOING ON!! YOU VERY UGLY THING!!"

Throw my club at the ugly face of the long creature grabbing me to free my weapon hand. Grab the monster hand in my neck and suck all of it's life energy. Defend myself from any attacks with my shield.

Go see what the yelling is about.

Spoiler: Nina (click to show/hide)
You circle around to one side of the house just in time to see Randolf get propelled through the wooden wall. He bounces and skids to a stop on the street a good 10-15 feet away. You run to his side and crouch down next to him. He as a burn on his face; it looks like its in the shape of a human hand, but distorted and stretched, overly large. As you kneel over him, you hear a noise coming from the house and turn to look. There are two young boys standing in the hole that randolf made as he went through the wall. One is the boy you tried to help earlier.  They're both smiling.

Either is possible, I just wanted to know if you wanted a grenade or a bomb. A bomb is more expensive, though not by much since miniature mechanisms are always more difficult.
Price for either a large bomb or smaller nade assembly please.

Reanimate will give life back to a creature but will not heal it. The major difference between "Animate" and "Reanimate" is that animate can force anything to live via magic, reanimate will simply try to give life back to something already alive. You can overcome issues with this via just shoving more magic in, but its easier to instead fix whatever the problem is before reanimating the creature. You'd want medical equipment so that you can sit down and repair the body along with blood so that the person doesn't die immediately after reanimating. Think of yourself as a human mechanic rather than a necromancer; you gotta fix them or they don't turn back on too well. You can get the surgical gear for 20ish gold (a doctor's bag basically) but the blood might be harder. You'd need to get pretty fresh human blood for it to work with the minimum difficulty and cost.
Just buy a doctor's bag for 30 gold with the needed tools then. Go look around this town to see if there's anywhere where one might buy human blood, perhaps the local surgeon? Or maybe some hobos would sell some blood for money? Failing that, perhaps there's a butcher nearby where I could buy fresh animal blood?

Spoiler: Darwin Zeppeli (click to show/hide)
25 for the bomb, 30 for the grenade.

You buy that bag.  Now, as per blood we can do that a few ways. There are doctors who will sell you blood; but they're expensive. You can get some hobo blood for relatively cheap but negotiating it with them might be a pain. And animal blood for free.

Ecalir stops running and just sort of stands there, awkwardly holding the scissor with his other hand, since crossing his arms would probably be pretty uncomfortable.

"Really, not single muscle twitch? Where is passion, bloodlust? Ecalir is very dissapointed to have you as enemy. Ecalir was expecting big show, much boasting, much running around and pulling of sick moves. Instead, Ecalir has gotten little boring robot instead of man as his first opponent.

Are you not here to entertain crowd? How are they supposed to enjoying spectacle if you just stand there behind slab of wood with pointy stick? Why did you join arena if you not want make spectacle, eh?"

Two can play the waiting game. Stand out of his reach and converse a bit.

Spoiler:  Écalir Speedwagon (click to show/hide)

[7v8]
The man blinks slowly and continues to follow your movement.  The crowd starts to get restless and grumbles openly.

Cougar/Red-tailed hawk sounds like an okay mix.  Hawks are good travellers, but also good soarers, and they're okay with waiting long periods of time perched, so they should be okay without continuous activity.  Also, the soaring should make for an easier ride.  They're not super-fast, but should still be plenty fast compared to walking.  They're also quite tameable, which probably isn't an issue for a familiar, but no sense in not making it easier.

Lets get to work, then.  Try to grow him a new arm.  Do try to make it as humanoid as I can.  If it starts coming out ape-like, the important part is to make sure it's got straight arm bones instead of curved ones, and that the fingers aren't padded heavily, allowing for dexterity.  Also watch the size, it's gotta match up to the rest of his body.  I don't know if a hug will yield much, but ask him for his story, and try anyway.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Good.
[3v2]
You get an arm. Its definitely an arm. Its black and furry and the hand proportions are a bit weird but it looks more human than chimp. Like 75% human.  The man really doesn't seem that happy. Not angry or anything, just sort of 10% positive, 90% neutral. But when you give him a hug, you get a huge amount of mana [9 mana].  You ask him his story and he basically just says "Got it caught in a winch."

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
  • Morals? Ethics? Conscience? HA!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1021 on: July 18, 2018, 04:08:52 pm »

You buy that bag.  Now, as per blood we can do that a few ways. There are doctors who will sell you blood; but they're expensive. You can get some hobo blood for relatively cheap but negotiating it with them might be a pain. And animal blood for free.

Let's go negotiate with some hobos then. Find some peeps that are bad off and try to identify those that would be willing to 'make a donation' of the haemolific kind in exchange for some coin. Make sure they are aware that I'd only take a safe amount of blood and that they'd need to keep their mouths shut.

Einsteinian Roulette Wiki
Quote from: you know who you are
21:26   <XYZ>: I know nothing about this, but I have strong opinions about it.
Fucking hell, you guys are worse than the demons.

randomgenericusername

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Cabal: The Death of Magic
« Reply #1022 on: July 18, 2018, 04:38:02 pm »

"Ewwwww, I think I got some of it's magic juices inside me. Gross. This is exactly why I hate magic so much."

Hey, you disturbing monsters! At least you could give me my club back!

Demand the monsters to give me my club back unless they want me to drain them to death or worse. Regardless, just leave the scene with Nina.

« Last Edit: July 19, 2018, 08:32:28 pm by randomgenericusername »
The dog behind the man behind the beard.
Immortality like that would be even more game breaking than four Aaron's in one place.
You're both so obviously scum that this is a surprisingly difficult decision.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • what about full of shit? is that a meme too?
    • View Profile
« Reply #1023 on: July 18, 2018, 04:44:05 pm »

"...Bloody useless nobles."

Pull out the needle. Grab the guy who was fighting the noble and pin his arms, using him as a shield while I drain him.

Insatiable consumption. Ceaseless motion. Unstoppable destruction.

Devastator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1024 on: July 19, 2018, 06:08:36 am »

That is a lot.  Maybe there's something sinister going on.  But maybe not.  In the end, even if the guy is possessed, no threats were made and giving a one-armed man a second arm isn't going to destroy the world.  Did his emotions feel like a human's emotions?  If so, nothing to worry about.  If not, I'll look into it later.  Or if everyone turns out like this.

Go through some range of motion tests, and tell the guy that he can come back if it isn't working out.  There may be some things I can do to make it work better if his arm starts acting up, and I'll be in town for a couple weeks.  Charge him five gold, and attend to the next patient.

(If you'd like to speed it up, Saeko would like to handle another three or so patients, if available, before doing something else.  So far, ideas include testing the viability of Expand to create resources, and hitting a rave for mana.)

Lenglon

• Bay Watcher
  • Everyone cries, the question is what follows it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1025 on: July 19, 2018, 05:59:16 pm »

"Come on, up you go. We're out of our league here, lets go call for some help."
Help Randolf stand and lets begin moving away from here.
((I don't think heating something that is right above us to a ridiculous degree is very smart. Worst case scenario we become +metal statues+. This is a finely crafted metal statue. It is encrusted with sharkmist and HMRC. On the item is an image of HMRC and Pancaek. Pancaek is laughing. The HMRC is melting. The artwork relates to the encasing of the HMRC in metal by Pancaek during the Mission of Many People.))

randomgenericusername

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1026 on: July 19, 2018, 08:41:45 pm »

"B-but my club! I can't leave without my best weapon against wizard brains!"

Immortality like that would be even more game breaking than four Aaron's in one place.

Pancaek

• Bay Watcher
  • Real stupidity beats artificial intelligence
    • View Profile
« Reply #1027 on: July 20, 2018, 11:20:37 am »

"Come now, little man, do you not hear the crowd is growing restless? They are getting fed up with this standoff! And so is Ecalir! Come, throw down stupid shield and fight Ecalir like a man, Ecalir will even fight you with bare hands if you manage to grow some balls!"

Allright, last chance for little man to stop being a coward and come attack me. If he responds to my boast and throws away his shield, I'll follow suit and drop the pizza cutter. If he attacks, the idea will be to redirect his spear without getting cut, and to close the distance so I'm too close for him to use his spear effectively.

If he doesn't respond to my boast, I'll attempt to close the distance, using the pizza cutter to deflect his spear attack and staying on the side he's holding the shield so as to make it awkward for him to get the spear around. If I manage to close the distance unmolested, grab the top/corner of his shield and heave with all my might. Either that shield is going to the floor, or all of him is.

Lenglon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1028 on: July 20, 2018, 06:40:27 pm »

"Yes, yes you can. We can replace it later, I'm sure, in the meantime use the sword from the lake."
((I don't think heating something that is right above us to a ridiculous degree is very smart. Worst case scenario we become +metal statues+. This is a finely crafted metal statue. It is encrusted with sharkmist and HMRC. On the item is an image of HMRC and Pancaek. Pancaek is laughing. The HMRC is melting. The artwork relates to the encasing of the HMRC in metal by Pancaek during the Mission of Many People.))

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #1029 on: July 31, 2018, 02:32:59 pm »

Let's go negotiate with some hobos then. Find some peeps that are bad off and try to identify those that would be willing to 'make a donation' of the haemolific kind in exchange for some coin. Make sure they are aware that I'd only take a safe amount of blood and that they'd need to keep their mouths shut.

6v5

You wander about a bit, checking the normal spots for...the financially unfortunate. You find a few that look to be in descent health and offer a gold piece for a "reasonable amount" of their blood. Most seem accepting of the proposal, a few enthusiastically so. You have the equipment to remove the blood and can get the containers to hold it for relatively cheap but it may be better to wait until you need it; old blood will make things harder.

"Come on, up you go. We're out of our league here, lets go call for some help."
Help Randolf stand and lets begin moving away from here.
"Ewwwww, I think I got some of it's magic juices inside me. Gross. This is exactly why I hate magic so much."

Hey, you disturbing monsters! At least you could give me my club back!

Demand the monsters to give me my club back unless they want me to drain them to death or worse. Regardless, just leave the scene with Nina.

Randolf rocks up into a sitting position and starts screaming insults and demands at the children, his words thick and slurred through burned lips. Nina gets her good arm and shoulder under his and forces him up. Together they make a run for it, Randolf still shouting over his shoulder at the kids.  They run together for a long while, constantly looking behind them, expecting a sudden attack but none comes. The sun is getting low when they stumble into the constable's building. Randolf's face is a mass of coagulated blood, a hardened red mask with swollen, angry flesh poking out around the burnt flesh. His left eye is swollen shut and he has to breath through his mouth thanks to the bloody tissue enclosing his nose.

The Constables immediately come to their aid, pulling them back into their barracks  and doing some basic first aid on Randolf's face.  One of them walks over to Nina and asks what happened.

"...Bloody useless nobles."

Pull out the needle. Grab the guy who was fighting the noble and pin his arms, using him as a shield while I drain him.

[1v2]
You manage two or three steps towards the  fight before your numb leg goes completely useless and you crumple to the ground. The world spins, you feel like you're tumbling end over end and then everything goes black.

You wake up very slowly, drifting into consciousness by degrees, feeling and control spreading back into your body like thick syrup. Your vision is still dark but not black, you can see small shimmers of light and judging bu the smell and the sensation, someone has put a sack over your head.  Your hands are bound behind your back and you're laying on your side against hay. there's a smell of mildew and distant muffled sounds. Its cold, probably night time or deep underground. You flex your body and beyond a few points of mild pain you  find yourself uninjured, but also unarmed. You seem to have nothing on you other than some sort of tunic and pants.

"Rapacious rapscallions." You mutter, your mouth filled with the taste of dirt.

That is a lot.  Maybe there's something sinister going on.  But maybe not.  In the end, even if the guy is possessed, no threats were made and giving a one-armed man a second arm isn't going to destroy the world.  Did his emotions feel like a human's emotions?  If so, nothing to worry about.  If not, I'll look into it later.  Or if everyone turns out like this.

Go through some range of motion tests, and tell the guy that he can come back if it isn't working out.  There may be some things I can do to make it work better if his arm starts acting up, and I'll be in town for a couple weeks.  Charge him five gold, and attend to the next patient.

(If you'd like to speed it up, Saeko would like to handle another three or so patients, if available, before doing something else.  So far, ideas include testing the viability of Expand to create resources, and hitting a rave for mana.)

His emotions feel human, though judging by their force you guess he's a rather repressed sort of fella; keeps it  all bottled up. And this injury clearly had a lot connected to it that he let out all at once.

You guide the man through some tests; the muscle connection isn't perfect, at certain angles and in certain motions there's a sort of 'skip' where the motion will strain for a moment before jerking forward and completing. However it seems to only effect rather odd configurations, usually in concert with wrist movement, standard actions are perfectly fine. Its a bit stiff but that will probably work out with time. You give him a few pointers are exercises to do to get used to it. He pays your fee without a word of complaint and says he'll find you again in a week or so, just to make sure everything is ok.

There are several other patients available to you, Two are crippled, one with damage to a hand, the other with an entire missing leg. There's a chronic illness patient, a sick child, an older woman with a "Consuming" disease, and a "fool" who is being brought in by his relatives.  Your choice.

"Come now, little man, do you not hear the crowd is growing restless? They are getting fed up with this standoff! And so is Ecalir! Come, throw down stupid shield and fight Ecalir like a man, Ecalir will even fight you with bare hands if you manage to grow some balls!"

Allright, last chance for little man to stop being a coward and come attack me. If he responds to my boast and throws away his shield, I'll follow suit and drop the pizza cutter. If he attacks, the idea will be to redirect his spear without getting cut, and to close the distance so I'm too close for him to use his spear effectively.

If he doesn't respond to my boast, I'll attempt to close the distance, using the pizza cutter to deflect his spear attack and staying on the side he's holding the shield so as to make it awkward for him to get the spear around. If I manage to close the distance unmolested, grab the top/corner of his shield and heave with all my might. Either that shield is going to the floor, or all of him is.

The man seems entirely intent on winning and ignores both your taunts and the jeers of the crowd.  Seeing that this will get the both of you nowhere, you decide to finally step in.
[11v5]
You dart forward, not bothering with any fancy juking, instead keeping your scissor up in a defensive stance. The man plants the shield and aims a solid thrust at your legs; clearly trying for a wounding blow rather than a killing one. You dodge towards his shield side, but also sweep the scissor up, catching the shaft of the spear on the blunt, inner edge of the weapon.  You continue around to his left, dragging the spear with you, and vault  over his shield before spinning around behind him. You pull the spear hard, jerking it at an odd angle and out of his grip before stepping in and giving him a shallow but definite cut to the back of his right leg.

You hop back as the judge blows a horn, signifying a satisfactory blow and the end of the match. The crowd, lulled into a stupor by your earlier inactivity is more stunned than excited, surprised by your sudden victory. They cheer, albeit a bit late. Your opponent checks his leg and gives you a polite, if somewhat annoyed, nod before walking back off towards his side of the arena, limping slightly. You return to your section of the arena, walking through a sunken gate and into the underground fighter works. Aids remove your armor and weapons for you and tell you your next fight is probably going to be in an hour or two, depending on how the other matches go.  You check the roster and find that your next set of gear will be a big two handed sword along with a brestplate, mask, shin guards and wrist guards. They dub it the "Ancient King".

Lenglon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1030 on: July 31, 2018, 02:52:18 pm »

tell them everything regarding the possessed kids.

« Last Edit: August 03, 2018, 08:16:52 am by Lenglon »

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
  • Morals? Ethics? Conscience? HA!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1031 on: July 31, 2018, 03:13:23 pm »

Ok then, hobo blood supply secured and nade bomb assemblies tinkered. Let's follow up on something else while we wait for Ecalir to finish shining his armor or whatever.

I bet 25 gold on Ecalir winning his first match. What is the payout?

Hmmm. You find lots of things that seem magical...though you kind of question  a lot of them.  You think they might be trying to scam you. Lots of trinkets with fancy names and complex histories that sound somewhat made up on the spot.
Follow up on the five (or less, do be discerning here) items that seem most likely to be of any real magical value.

Einsteinian Roulette Wiki
Quote from: you know who you are
21:26   <XYZ>: I know nothing about this, but I have strong opinions about it.
Fucking hell, you guys are worse than the demons.

randomgenericusername

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1032 on: July 31, 2018, 04:48:36 pm »

"Yeah, don't worry about me. I have faced worse things."

Randolf laughs at his own bad joke.

You know, maybe what I need is just some fresh magic energy. Grab the magic sword (Aqua Vitae) and drain all of the mana it has. Hope it's enough to maybe level up and that the thing is still usable as a normal sword.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • what about full of shit? is that a meme too?
    • View Profile
« Reply #1033 on: July 31, 2018, 11:08:04 pm »

Free my hands. Hey, d10 strength isn't for show.

Insatiable consumption. Ceaseless motion. Unstoppable destruction.

Devastator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1034 on: August 03, 2018, 02:30:47 am »

Agree to see the two crippled patients, whom I should be able to help, and the person with the sick child, (who I might not be able to help.)  Tell the other two I'll be seeing more patients the next day and I'll get to them then.

Pages: 1 ... 67 68 [69] 70 71 ... 203