Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 68 69 [70] 71 72 ... 203

Author Topic: Cabal: Wizard Open World Game  (Read 337983 times)

Pancaek

• Bay Watcher
  • Real stupidity beats artificial intelligence
    • View Profile
Re: Cabal: Wizard Open World Game
« Reply #1035 on: August 03, 2018, 10:39:29 am »

Don the gear and give the sword a testing swing or two, to feel the weight of it. Did I get anything from winning the first match? Also, is this next match also first blood or something else? And do I know who my opponent is going to be?

Then I guess I'll just faff about until my match starts.

Spoiler:  Écalir Speedwagon (click to show/hide)

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #1036 on: August 04, 2018, 11:42:27 am »

tell them everything regarding the possessed kids.

Spoiler: Nina (click to show/hide)
You explain everything to them, starting with the first child and continuing until you entered the building. The man listens, growing more stone faced and grim as the minutes pass. When you finally finish he swallows slowly and nods.

"Sounds like we have the source for our disappearances." He says, mostly to himself.

"Yeah, don't worry about me. I have faced worse things."

Randolf laughs at his own bad joke.

You know, maybe what I need is just some fresh magic energy. Grab the magic sword (Aqua Vitae) and drain all of the mana it has. Hope it's enough to maybe level up and that the thing is still usable as a normal sword.

Spoiler: Randolf Osborn (click to show/hide)
[8v34]
You put a finger on the blade and attempt to suck some power out of it. Nothing explosive happens. Nothing violent. Perhaps the sword or its maker is partial to you and doesn't want to cause you undue harm. But you get a feeling as you attempt to pull power from the blade, a feeling like being in a pipe with a thundering wall of water rushing towards you. Like being beneath the boot of Atlas, just before he steps down. Like having a knife to your throat. Helplessness and impending destruction beneath the will of something utterly impersonal and totally beyond your control.

You snap back to your senses a half second later.

Free my hands. Hey, d10 strength isn't for show.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
[10v3]
You flex your arms, pushing your hands together and using them as leverage to seperate your wrists. The binding, apparently some kind of cord or rope, strains and then either snaps or the knot slides lose. You shake the restraints off and then sit up, pulling the bag from your head. Wooo, you lean on one arm until your head stops spinning. You blink a few times and then stand up, looking around. You're in a cell, and an old one. Not a metal box or mortar and stone thing; a solid carved stone cell with an equally solid metal door. The only light coming in is torchlight leaking in through the cracks around the perimeter of the door.  You are alone in here and the cell itself is only about 6x6, just long enough for you to lay across. You test the door and it is, unsurprisingly, locked.

Agree to see the two crippled patients, whom I should be able to help, and the person with the sick child, (who I might not be able to help.)  Tell the other two I'll be seeing more patients the next day and I'll get to them then.

The first patient has lost all four fingers on her right hand, along with maybe the upper quarter of the hand. Her thumb still functions but not as well as it should. The second is crippled in a different way; a clubbed foot, or something like it. His Left foot is swollen and very odd, with digits spread in almost a half circle around a foot that resembles a clenched fist, all knobby growths of expanded bone.  The first patient is easy enough, just regrowing those fingers. The second, however, may prove problematic. You're not creating, you're altering what is already there. Its possible that amputation and then regrowth would be the best, but if you fail, it would not be good.

Ok then, hobo blood supply secured and nade bomb assemblies tinkered. Let's follow up on something else while we wait for Ecalir to finish shining his armor or whatever.

I bet 25 gold on Ecalir winning his first match. What is the payout?

Hmmm. You find lots of things that seem magical...though you kind of question  a lot of them.  You think they might be trying to scam you. Lots of trinkets with fancy names and complex histories that sound somewhat made up on the spot.
Follow up on the five (or less, do be discerning here) items that seem most likely to be of any real magical value.

Spoiler: Darwin Zeppeli (click to show/hide)
The total payout is 45. (so your 25 back plus 20). Of course you have to actually go there and pick it up.

Lets see...There was a Compass that seemed to point to several different directions that were definitely not north. A coin that the seller claimed would always land the way its owner wanted it to, a mirror reflecting a place that was somewhere clearly not here, and a small book of illustrations, the first 10 or so of which you recognized as historical events but the rest you had no idea about.

Don the gear and give the sword a testing swing or two, to feel the weight of it. Did I get anything from winning the first match? Also, is this next match also first blood or something else? And do I know who my opponent is going to be?

Then I guess I'll just faff about until my match starts.

You get geared up. You look a bit old king Doran, if you know him. Your sword is a claymore or something like it; quite large and long but not too heavy and well balanced thanks to a large grip and guard. With your strength you can swing it around with ease. The next match is to the first blood, ie the first good blow, and your opponent is some guy named "Neilith" armed with a small shield and gladius. He'll be quick and have some capacity to block you.

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
  • Morals? Ethics? Conscience? HA!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1037 on: August 04, 2018, 12:07:44 pm »

The total payout is 45. (so your 25 back plus 20). Of course you have to actually go there and pick it up.

Lets see...There was a Compass that seemed to point to several different directions that were definitely not north. A coin that the seller claimed would always land the way its owner wanted it to, a mirror reflecting a place that was somewhere clearly not here, and a small book of illustrations, the first 10 or so of which you recognized as historical events but the rest you had no idea about.

Collect earnings, then bet 40 gold on Ecalir winning his second match.

Ask if I can test the coin, then flip it and will it to land on it's side, aka standing up.

How much do each of these potential artifacts cost?

"Gee Ecalir, you sure took your sweet time with that guy, or so I heard. Were you just playing with him or what?"

« Last Edit: August 04, 2018, 01:16:27 pm by Radio Controlled »

Einsteinian Roulette Wiki
Quote from: you know who you are
21:26   <XYZ>: I know nothing about this, but I have strong opinions about it.
Fucking hell, you guys are worse than the demons.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • Perhaps I'll
    • View Profile
Re: Cabal: The Death of Magic
« Reply #1038 on: August 04, 2018, 02:41:45 pm »

Focus. Anything else in here? A rat would be useful.

Down at the bottom of the ocean. Beneath tons of brine which would crush you down. Not into broken and splintered flesh, but into thin soup. Into just more of the sea water. Where things live that aren't so different from you, but you will never live to touch them and they will never live to touch you.

Pancaek

• Bay Watcher
  • Real stupidity beats artificial intelligence
    • View Profile
« Reply #1039 on: August 05, 2018, 07:14:36 am »

"Gee Ecalir, you sure took your sweet time with that guy, or so I heard. Were you just playing with him or what?"

"Little boy with stick kept hiding behind slab of wood instead of fighting like real man. Ecalir does not mind a cautious and tactical fighter, but first opponent took it much too far! Was like fighting statue, very boring."

Get ready for the match to start, walk into the arena when the time comes and strike a JoJo pose while I'm at it. Once I can see my opponent, size him up and check if he has any other gear besides the sword+shield.

randomgenericusername

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1040 on: August 05, 2018, 07:44:30 am »

"Wow, alright. Not using this thing for stabbing anytime soon. Too powerful, might be forced to only use it against monsters and such. Unless..."

So I know this is a magical god sword, but is only the edge of the sword enchanted to be powerful? Could I try to hold it from the blade and hit things with the crossguard for a nonlethal and nonmagical attack or would it also be very powerful because of the power the sword has?

« Last Edit: August 07, 2018, 08:29:39 pm by randomgenericusername »
The dog behind the man behind the beard.
Immortality like that would be even more game breaking than four Aaron's in one place.
You're both so obviously scum that this is a surprisingly difficult decision.

Lenglon

• Bay Watcher
  • Everyone cries, the question is what follows it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1041 on: August 07, 2018, 10:32:06 am »

"Im willing to help however I can, but I think we need to act fast before more kids are possessed. How much force can be mobilized?"
((I don't think heating something that is right above us to a ridiculous degree is very smart. Worst case scenario we become +metal statues+. This is a finely crafted metal statue. It is encrusted with sharkmist and HMRC. On the item is an image of HMRC and Pancaek. Pancaek is laughing. The HMRC is melting. The artwork relates to the encasing of the HMRC in metal by Pancaek during the Mission of Many People.))

Devastator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1042 on: August 08, 2018, 03:24:30 pm »

First one gets the usual treatment, by regrowing the fingers.  Follow with a hug and the usual five gold charge.  If doing so costs only one mana, use a low-difficulty strengthen spell on the thumb as well.  The second person..

The second person.. discuss the possibility of amputation and regrowth.  If it is decided to proceed, level up knowledge with 10 mana, then buy any gear necessary, (such as a tourniquet) and do a hug to calm the patient and prepare for the procedure.

Use a reverse-strengthen spell to try and weaken the tissues being cut, to limit blood flow and make the amputation easier.  If successful, use an Ape word to try and regrow a human-like foot.

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #1043 on: August 09, 2018, 11:13:23 am »

Focus. Anything else in here? A rat would be useful.

[2v1]
You search around the cell but the only animals you can find are a line of ants patiently walking from one small crack in the stone of the left wall to a crack in the floor a few feet away.

First one gets the usual treatment, by regrowing the fingers.  Follow with a hug and the usual five gold charge.  If doing so costs only one mana, use a low-difficulty strengthen spell on the thumb as well.  The second person..

The second person.. discuss the possibility of amputation and regrowth.  If it is decided to proceed, level up knowledge with 10 mana, then buy any gear necessary, (such as a tourniquet) and do a hug to calm the patient and prepare for the procedure.

Use a reverse-strengthen spell to try and weaken the tissues being cut, to limit blood flow and make the amputation easier.  If successful, use an Ape word to try and regrow a human-like foot.

[10v2]
You regrow the person's fingers and get your payment along with a hug. Your spell cost 2 and you got 3 in return. A small profit.

You discuss the next case with the client, explaining your limitations and the way you intend to do the repair.  They ask if there's a way to do it with less radical surgery; they're not against the idea of surgery but they're reasonably nervous about just chopping off the whole leg and then regrowing it.  They're hedging their bets, you can tell.

"Wow, alright. Not using this thing for stabbing anytime soon. Too powerful, might be forced to only use it against monsters and such. Unless..."

So I know this is a magical god sword, but is only the edge of the sword enchanted to be powerful? Could I try to hold it from the blade and hit things with the crossguard for a nonlethal and nonmagical attack or would it also be very powerful because of the power the sword has?

Simply put, you have no idea. But holding the blade of a magic sword and hitting people with the crossguard might have unintended consequences one way or another.

"Im willing to help however I can, but I think we need to act fast before more kids are possessed. How much force can be mobilized?"
"Give us an hour or so to get things ready. Regardless, I don't know if you should come with; you're both pretty beaten up already."

Collect earnings, then bet 40 gold on Ecalir winning his second match.

Ask if I can test the coin, then flip it and will it to land on it's side, aka standing up.

How much do each of these potential artifacts cost?

You return just long enough to collect the winnings and make another bet. Then you head back to the market and try out the coin. The merchant lets you try it, telling you to call the side you want. You flip it off your thumb, letting it arc towards the countertop. Halfway through you call "Edge" and the seller's eyes get a bit wide. Apparently such a thing had never been done. The coin lands  on the counter, bounces up onto its edge and spins in place. You wait for it to eventually stop. It doesn't. If anything it starts spinning faster. The wooden counter starts smoking a bit.

Compass: 6
Coin: 3
Mirror: 12
Book: 25

In gold.

"Little boy with stick kept hiding behind slab of wood instead of fighting like real man. Ecalir does not mind a cautious and tactical fighter, but first opponent took it much too far! Was like fighting statue, very boring."

Get ready for the match to start, walk into the arena when the time comes and strike a JoJo pose while I'm at it. Once I can see my opponent, size him up and check if he has any other gear besides the sword+shield.

You walk towards the arena, shaking your shoulders out and rolling your neck till you feel nice and comfortable. As you near the gates, a man in a simple but clearly well tailored suit steps up beside you. He doesn't try to stop you, just walks at your side.

"Hello. Quite a fight out there, that first round." He says, not looking at you but simply smiling and staring straight ahead.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • Perhaps I'll
    • View Profile
« Reply #1044 on: August 09, 2018, 11:30:37 am »

Start zapping the ants with my drain power to pass the time.

Down at the bottom of the ocean. Beneath tons of brine which would crush you down. Not into broken and splintered flesh, but into thin soup. Into just more of the sea water. Where things live that aren't so different from you, but you will never live to touch them and they will never live to touch you.

Devastator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1045 on: August 09, 2018, 01:10:59 pm »

"It might be possible to improve the situation a bit without amputation, but amputation would provide a more complete solution.  I can probably make the foot work a bit better or hurt less, but it would only somewhat improve the situation, rather than solve things.

Level up Knowledge to +1 with 10 mana.  Examine the foot and ask further questions about the syndrome.  Evaluate some other possible treatments:  Softening some of the ossified material back into fleshy tissue with reverse strengthen, reshaping the foot somewhat with grow or reverse grow spells, or improving range of motion by reinforcing specific tendons or muscles, or combinations thereof.  Come to a consensus on the plan for treatment.

One other possibility is bypassing the amputation by ungrowing the foot so that it's basically a baby foot, and then regrowing it in a more proper shape.  But that'll take two spells for sure, and it might leave things worse off in between if the current foot has any use.

Spoiler: Saeko Hirahara (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: August 09, 2018, 06:42:36 pm by Devastator »

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
  • Morals? Ethics? Conscience? HA!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1046 on: August 09, 2018, 02:13:57 pm »

"You have some interesting wares, my good man, but as you can see I'm a rather discerning customer."

Try to get the coin to stop spinning. Try to tell it/will it to go tails. If that fails try to snatch it up before it starts spinning uncontrollably (quickly wrap my hand in some cloth from my coat or whatever to protect my hand a bit).

If that works, apologize for any damage the table suffered. Buy the coin and the book, then inspect that mirror and compass in some more detail (don't buy these yet).

Einsteinian Roulette Wiki
Quote from: you know who you are
21:26   <XYZ>: I know nothing about this, but I have strong opinions about it.
Fucking hell, you guys are worse than the demons.

randomgenericusername

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1047 on: August 09, 2018, 05:22:35 pm »

"Also, one more thing."

Ask the man what's the fastest way to get to Alkahest.

Immortality like that would be even more game breaking than four Aaron's in one place.

Lenglon

• Bay Watcher
  • Everyone cries, the question is what follows it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1048 on: August 09, 2018, 06:12:11 pm »

"It doesn't matter that I'm beat up. What matters is kids are getting hurt, maybe killed, as we speak. I want to see this through and make sure it stops right now."

((I don't think heating something that is right above us to a ridiculous degree is very smart. Worst case scenario we become +metal statues+. This is a finely crafted metal statue. It is encrusted with sharkmist and HMRC. On the item is an image of HMRC and Pancaek. Pancaek is laughing. The HMRC is melting. The artwork relates to the encasing of the HMRC in metal by Pancaek during the Mission of Many People.))

randomgenericusername

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1049 on: August 09, 2018, 07:27:40 pm »

"I don't think we're capable to deal with this situation, though. I'm no exorcist and when I tried to drain the evil thing's mana... Ewwwww, absolutely disgusting."

"I'm not abandoning my club and the kids, so I'll help as much as possible. It's just that I can't think of any way to help..."

Pages: 1 ... 68 69 [70] 71 72 ... 203