Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 119 120 [121] 122 123 ... 203

Author Topic: Cabal: Wizard Open World Game  (Read 338067 times)

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
  • Morals? Ethics? Conscience? HA!
    • View Profile
Re: Cabal: Wizard Open World Game
« Reply #1800 on: July 29, 2019, 11:38:50 am »

Could you do the spell for bug invisibility?

How much mana would we need to put into the thaumbomb to blow up the whole tower? And if Pan uses 'multiply' to reinforce it?

What roll, and what difficulty, would a spell be that uses the word “rope” to enchant a length of rope to tie and gather the docile humans for easier teleporting away?

Spoiler: Darwin Zeppeli (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: July 29, 2019, 11:42:56 am by Radio Controlled »

Einsteinian Roulette Wiki
Quote from: you know who you are
21:26   <XYZ>: I know nothing about this, but I have strong opinions about it.
Fucking hell, you guys are worse than the demons.

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #1801 on: July 30, 2019, 02:48:15 pm »

"Okay"
Do as the man says

Spoiler: Nina (click to show/hide)

We'll assume your friend follows along with you.

"Generally we assign new recruits to specific routes or low level cases." The Mage breaker says, leading you deeper into the building. "Right now we have various things for our newbies to look into. For you two however, I think an investigative role might work best over a pure combat role.  We've  been having some people in the slums disappear only to turn up later, half dead and with no memories. Sound like something you could handle?"

Take the large basin (how big is it? if too big, take a smaller of the pieces of basin instead) to the first room and leave it below the hole, but not visible from above, in case any other looters come by. Then head down the stairs with the thornbush emblem

Spoiler: Felix Testimony (click to show/hide)

The basin is pretty big; if you hold it in a sort of hug you can just touch your finger tips together. Probably about two and a half feet in diameter and slightly oval. You can carry it with you but its a bit awkward. You hug it to your chest and waddle back out, placing it down near the entrance to the bathing area, so its not visible without jumping down into the room.  That safely stored, or at least as safely as possible, you  head down into the deeper section. The lower room is quite large, and much longer than it is wide. It has an over all sort of "V" shape with tiers stacked up like stadium seats on either side of a central walkway. Each tier is a long stone planter with slightly luminous soil and a vast variety of plants you have never seen before. None are green, they're all a riot of neon reds, purples, blues, glowing nodules, graceful curls and wicked spikes. There are thin aquaducts carved straight into the stone that bring a constant flow of water through the plantbeds. The entire room is overgrown but you can still see what look like labels carved into the stone planters, though you don't recognize the language.

Sell the loot I got, keeping 2 loaded pistols and the ammunition for them, also see if wyrm scales are being sold, buy them if they are.

After that check around for information about Sand Rays, specifically regarding body width and when and where they tend to sleep.

Spoiler: Robert Grant (click to show/hide)
You sell off the loot (Not counting things like the rifle which is just loaned to you) and make 60 gold total.  You do find a seller of scales and each one is the size of a dinner plate and costs 20 gold. They appear to be solid rock.

You ask around and find that the width of a ray is generally between 60 and 100 feet depending on age and sex. They tend to burrow into the sand and sleep near roads or other pathways of food. They will hibernate for long periods and then wake up, wait for something to pass, and ambush it.

Could you do the spell for bug invisibility?

How much mana would we need to put into the thaumbomb to blow up the whole tower? And if Pan uses 'multiply' to reinforce it?

What roll, and what difficulty, would a spell be that uses the word “rope” to enchant a length of rope to tie and gather the docile humans for easier teleporting away?

[4v3] -3 mana.  So its successful.

That depends on where you put it. If you could get to the bottom and blow out a critical support structure, relatively little. If you're just gonna stick it in place and try to nuke the whole tower brute force style, thats a lot more. Like, surgical strike could probably work with like 5-6 mana. Otherwise multiply that by 10 or more.

Depends on the length and how "Smart" it is. Like do you want it to be autonomous and just send it out on its own? Or do you want to basically point at targets or maybe throw it at them and it just automatically ties them up?  Are we assuming 100 foot or more?

Feel free to PM me these sorts of questions and I'll probably reply faster than I could here. (Currently in an airport.)

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Use the rope as a lasso to try and catch a group of bugs and slam them against the walls or floor
[4v5]
You tie the rope into a rough lasso and then hurl it out into the bug swarm. You give it a hard pull and much to your surprise it brings nothing back with it.

"Ah, maybe--er, thanks?  Okay, I'll try now, just a moment!"

Yes, the glitter enchantment is supposed to act both as a targeting system, and a target finder.  Makes it easier to lead, and will make it easier to spot enemies once we start using smoke cover.  Anyway:

Take out the best sketch of Benedict that Ekrov has (he's got a bunch from spending most of a day drawing the monster) and cast "animate" on it as Saeko casts her growth spell, to temporarily animate the drawing into a fully real griffon.  The initial animation doesn't need to be huge--Saeko's spell should take care of size--so in theory it should only be d4 or d6 difficulty, since d6 can animate a full scale human permanently, while Ekrov is only trying to animate a smaller griffon for ten minutes or so.

Once the new griffon (Cenedict?  Maledict?) is up, direct it to fly outside the protective bubble and start ripping into the bugs with divebombing attacks.  Then, go loiter behind the MGs and anxiously watch as people die.  Maybe shoot at some bugs with the clockwork pistol, but don't risk hitting any friendlies.

Spoiler: NEEEEERRD (click to show/hide)
At that, Saeko quickly grabs the paper and attempts to cast a spell on it.  "Do you need more mana for the spell?"  Not waiting for the response, she reaches out and transfers 3 mana to Ekrov.

Orders to shout out.

Call out for the melee guys to hold back and be more careful, the machine guns are doing most of the damage.

Inform the magebreaker that I'm going to take Benedict up after a couple buffs, ask about buffing the shield itself with strengthen.

Just let the others know to keep the line tight and blast away at the bugs, and not the giant catbird about to go up.

Personal orders.  Run over to Ekrov, give him 3 mana.  Take his sketch page of Benedict and cast either a Strengthen Grow or Strengthen Expand (whichever one is relevant) with a very short temporary duration of ~10 minutes to make the animated creature that will come out of Ekrov animating it very large.. bigger than Benedict is, so it can't fit through the tunnel.

Then jump on Benedict, and use a Steel word to summon him a helmet to keep the bugs off his face and acid out of his eyes.  Do permanent if no harder than 1d6, otherwise make it temporary for as long as d4 lasts.  Look up and get ready for a moment to take off, but don't do it until after Ekrov's imitation griffen goes through first.

Spoiler: Saeko Hirahara (click to show/hide)
(assuming mana gets shifted as needed)
[3v2] -2 mana for the animation
[whatever v 1] for the biggening
[5v3] for the helmet, so -4 total between them.

Ekrov and Saeko huddle together for a moment over the sketch pad and after a few moments of mana visibly passing from them both into the paper, a thing that is seemingly made of ink leaps off the page. It starts at a quite small size but grows rapidly until it is actually slightly larger than what it was based off of. Its an odd thing, seemingly hollow and made of hovering lines, though it still looks like that regardless of the direction you look at it from. It appears to roar, though is completely silent, and immediately leaps up into the air and slams into the wall of bugs, cannon balling through and proceeding to turn and then sweep over the bubble, doing diving strikes against the creatures.

Saeko summons up a helmet and fits it on Benedict before mounting up. The machineguns finally open up in full and fill the skies with a withering rain of lead. The streams sweep back and forth across the dome, slicing through bugs wide swaths, but the holes are quickly filled by more. The bubble flickers and goes more transparent, shrinking and vanishing on sections before collapsing with a sound like thunder. The bugs swarm in and Benedict takes off as they do, tacking through them and making it out into the open air. The bugs begin swarming randomly like locusts, swooping and landing only long enough to swing at their targets and then take back off.

The melee fighters hold their own surprisingly well, forming small phallanx like groups and defending each other as they strike out at the creatures.  The machine guns become completely erratic, unable to focus on any single target and spraying randomly through the air. Somewhere in the chaos Erkov makes it to the Mage Breakers and takes shelter with them. A beam of concentrated fire lashes out from somewhere in their group, sweeping across the sky and incinerating dozens of insects.

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
  • Thank you TamerVirus for the avatar switcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1802 on: July 30, 2019, 03:43:47 pm »

(Did the Ring of Fire leave or is still with me? If it’s not with me I can edit the post)
Try to cast a spell that makes a hollow sphere of light silver around a swarm, that gets smaller over time, crushing the bugs inside

Ozarck

• Bay Watcher
  • DiceBane
    • View Profile
« Reply #1803 on: July 31, 2019, 07:44:06 am »

Go poke around in the plants a bit. Are there fruits, berries, or other potentially edible bits? Are any of the plants apparently carnivorous? Are there bees? Prick myself on a few thorns and eat the first suspicious looking fruit or stalk or berry or leaf that looks edible but probably poisonous. If it's poisonous enough, attempt to not die and to acquire the material: poison

Hotfire90

« Reply #1804 on: July 31, 2019, 10:30:13 am »

Buy three of those wyrm scales, a harness, 200 feet of rope and a belt to easily store and access my rope with.

Resume guarding the caravan after I'm done shopping.

Devastator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1805 on: July 31, 2019, 10:48:58 pm »

No orders for people on the ground, as I'm in the air.  Keep doing things?

Cast a 1-hour duration Strengthen spell on my eyes to enhance my senses to d10.

Direct Benedict to where he can do the most good shredding the insects.  Maybe directly above the machine guns so they don't need to worry about straight up?  Look around for a source or some location where they're coming from.. is there something that needs to be taken out, or is there just a lot of them?

Does it look like we're winning, or is more magical intervention necessary?.

« Last Edit: August 02, 2019, 01:12:10 am by Devastator »

Lenglon

• Bay Watcher
  • Everyone cries, the question is what follows it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1806 on: August 01, 2019, 08:55:08 pm »

"I can try. what else do we know? Is there a list of reported victims? any locals that have already done some investigating I could talk to? Do we have a map of the slums I could plot victim's last known locations before disappearing, and where they're reappearing on, to check for patterns? Do we have any victims or friends of victims that I could talk to? any patterns of victim profiles like age, wealth, gender, hair color, whatever? What exactly do you mean when you say 'half-dead'? are they injured physically or mentally? if physical, what kind of injuries? blunt trauma? cuts? sickness? dehydration? burns?"
ask

((I don't think heating something that is right above us to a ridiculous degree is very smart. Worst case scenario we become +metal statues+. This is a finely crafted metal statue. It is encrusted with sharkmist and HMRC. On the item is an image of HMRC and Pancaek. Pancaek is laughing. The HMRC is melting. The artwork relates to the encasing of the HMRC in metal by Pancaek during the Mission of Many People.))

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
  • Morals? Ethics? Conscience? HA!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1807 on: August 02, 2019, 07:55:02 am »

Go down via the rope and search for where our bomb could do the most damage.

Also, supposing we could collapse the tower, does it seem likely that will collapse the cave as well, or other shenanigans like that?

Depends on the length and how "Smart" it is. Like do you want it to be autonomous and just send it out on its own? Or do you want to basically point at targets or maybe throw it at them and it just automatically ties them up?  Are we assuming 100 foot or more?
Second, just a way to herd all those people and prevent them from wandering off again. Might not even need a spell for it if they don't resist getting tied up and herded. As for length, whatever is needed t transport all the peeps in the fields really.

Feel free to PM me these sorts of questions and I'll probably reply faster than I could here. (Currently in an airport.)
Man, I hardly even manage to post actions these days. Haven't even gotten around to checking if you ever answered on discord about the feng shui stuff. Still, thanks.

Einsteinian Roulette Wiki
Quote from: you know who you are
21:26   <XYZ>: I know nothing about this, but I have strong opinions about it.
Fucking hell, you guys are worse than the demons.

syvarris

• Bay Watcher
  • UNICORNPEGASUSKITTEN
    • View Profile
« Reply #1808 on: August 02, 2019, 02:11:31 pm »

Try to coordinate the machine guns--they're firing randomly, which is worse than useless.  Direct them to target specific areas that are failing, or make particularly good targets; Ekrov should have the senses to spot opportunities, and might have the will to actually get the commands across.  Shoot any bugs that get too close, with the d6 spring pistol.

Unrelated, but I have no idea how much ammo the basic d6 ranged weapon that Ekrov started with is supposed to have.  After looking at other stuff is seems like ranged weapons actually should track ammo.  So if he's supposed to have a limited quantity of ammo I need to know how much he actually has.

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #1809 on: August 03, 2019, 11:17:42 am »

Go poke around in the plants a bit. Are there fruits, berries, or other potentially edible bits? Are any of the plants apparently carnivorous? Are there bees? Prick myself on a few thorns and eat the first suspicious looking fruit or stalk or berry or leaf that looks edible but probably poisonous. If it's poisonous enough, attempt to not die and to acquire the material: poison

You look around. There are fruits and berries and even what look like edible tubers and roots, maybe leaves and stalks too. Your knowledge of foraging doesn't really encompass these things but they do have some similarity to edible plants you've seen elsewhere.  None look inherently carnivorous , or at least not overtly so, though plenty do have thorns. You select one that has some very long and thin red thorns and jab one into  your flesh. The Red color in the thorn vanishes as whatever fluid was presurized inside it injects into you, leaving nothing but a soft, clear nub behind.
[7v2]
You seize up and collapse back onto the stairs. For several minutes you can do nothing more than spasm on the ground but, after a while, the shaking subsides enough for you to sit up and lean against the wall. It takes another several minutes for you to get complete control over your limbs and stand up.

[Toxin] gained.

Buy three of those wyrm scales, a harness, 200 feet of rope and a belt to easily store and access my rope with.

Resume guarding the caravan after I'm done shopping.

Alright. Did I give prices for those other things before? If not lets say...add 20 gold to the price of the scales. If I have, use the earlier price.

We can fast forward straight to the merchants leaving if you got nothing else to do round here.

"I can try. what else do we know? Is there a list of reported victims? any locals that have already done some investigating I could talk to? Do we have a map of the slums I could plot victim's last known locations before disappearing, and where they're reappearing on, to check for patterns? Do we have any victims or friends of victims that I could talk to? any patterns of victim profiles like age, wealth, gender, hair color, whatever? What exactly do you mean when you say 'half-dead'? are they injured physically or mentally? if physical, what kind of injuries? blunt trauma? cuts? sickness? dehydration? burns?"
ask

"I've got  list of victims for you, and where they're staying. As per a map of where they disappeared and reappeared, its in a fairly wide section of the slums. Judging by how erratic it is, and the fact that people disappear when alone at night, we believe them to be crimes of opportunity rather than carefully planned. The only connecting thread between the victims seems to be that they are able bodied, relatively young, and walking alone at night. Everything else is unconnected. As per half dead, I mean they're exhausted, dehydrated, starved, etc.  No sign of restraint or physical abuse, though some have scratches or bruises they don't appear to be intentionally inflicted. Sort of thing you'd get falling or running through a bush, you know?"

Go down via the rope and search for where our bomb could do the most damage.

Also, supposing we could collapse the tower, does it seem likely that will collapse the cave as well, or other shenanigans like that?

Second, just a way to herd all those people and prevent them from wandering off again. Might not even need a spell for it if they don't resist getting tied up and herded. As for length, whatever is needed t transport all the peeps in the fields really.

Man, I hardly even manage to post actions these days. Haven't even gotten around to checking if you ever answered on discord about the feng shui stuff. Still, thanks.

[6v6]
You search about, heading deeper and deeper into the structure. Its hard to say where the ground floor is; there are no windows after you get far enough down so you might be under the cave floor. However, you cannot find any thing that you would characterize as a big support beam or similar. You come to the conclusion that this thing is probably kept together largely though the strength of its outer wall and inner structures, much like a termite mound. In that case it might be more effective to go outside and collapse thing thing like cutting down a tree, weakening the "Casing" on one side and letting the weight take care of the rest.

It might? You're not sure.

I'd say d6 would work for that. Lets say 300 feet worth of rope.

I did. In fact I may have gone way too far and transformed it into something else~

(Did the Ring of Fire leave or is still with me? If it’s not with me I can edit the post)
Try to cast a spell that makes a hollow sphere of light silver around a swarm, that gets smaller over time, crushing the bugs inside
[3v7] -3 mana.

You point at the wildly swarming insects near you and attempt a large scale summoning. A mist of silver, almost like a bubble of mercury, begins to appear but then black red lightning lashes through the air and the summoning fails with a crackle and shockwave. The lightning lashes back into you and strikes your outstretched hand. You can do little but scream as it converts the flesh of your hand, wrist, and half of your forearm into solid aluminum.

No orders for people on the ground, as I'm in the air.  Keep doing things?

Cast a 1-hour duration Strengthen spell on my eyes to enhance my senses to d10.

Direct Benedict to where he can do the most good shredding the insects.  Maybe directly above the machine guns so they don't need to worry about straight up?  Look around for a source or some location where they're coming from.. is there something that needs to be taken out, or is there just a lot of them?

Does it look like we're winning, or is more magical intervention necessary?.

[10v4] -4 mana
You place your hands over your eyes and push mana into them, strengthening their sight considerably for a short period and making them positively glow and shimmer with energy.

[10v8]
You direct Benedict down, attempting to cover the areas that his clone are not, striking at large swarms and rescuing badly cornered groups.  It becomes a loop of hard ascents and then sharp dives as you attack, the world shaking violently as claws tear through chitin and muscled flesh batters through. You and Benedict quickly become slick with ichor.

You take a moment in the midst of an ascent to survey the scene. Despite the chaos, things seem to be going your way. There are casualties but your troops seem to be holding strong while the insects are quickly dwindling and being cut down. They have greater numbers but their tactics are those of animals cannot stand up to coordinated attacks.

Try to coordinate the machine guns--they're firing randomly, which is worse than useless.  Direct them to target specific areas that are failing, or make particularly good targets; Ekrov should have the senses to spot opportunities, and might have the will to actually get the commands across.  Shoot any bugs that get too close, with the d6 spring pistol.

Unrelated, but I have no idea how much ammo the basic d6 ranged weapon that Ekrov started with is supposed to have.  After looking at other stuff is seems like ranged weapons actually should track ammo.  So if he's supposed to have a limited quantity of ammo I need to know how much he actually has.

(Revolver right? So 6 rounds and then we'll say you start with 36 extra rounds in your bag.)

You break from the Magebreakers and run over the machine guns, shooting as you do. [6v8] You don't think you hit anything but you expend 6 rounds mostly to keep yourself covered as you move.  Once you reach the guns you start directing their operators, pointing out targets and telling them to focus on specific foes instead of spraying and praying.  They seem to follow the advice and start focusing in, firing in short bursts instead of full auto madness.

The battle drags on for several more minutes. How long is hard to say. It feels both like an eternity and no time at all, a blur of blood and violence that stretches infinitely. But it finally starts to lessen and what was once a savage battle to survive becomes a clean up operation as more and more clusters of insects are finished off and the men move to help their compatriots, snowballing their forces and wiping out the remaining bugs quicker and easier each time.  Victory seems assured at this point.

Devastator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1810 on: August 03, 2019, 01:08:28 pm »

Land and proceed with the cleanup phase.  Triage the wounded, and spend a few spells saving the lives of anyone critically injured with my Ape word.  Use Strengthen Ape if it seems necessary.  As always try to make any limb replacements or such as human as possible.

Evacuate anyone significantly wounded, too.  Use judgement.. if someone has an ape arm now but is fine, that guy can continue.  People who have serious wounds but didn't need magic to save their lives should leave the cavern and head back.

As for other people, drop the bundles for the fire barricade, although don't light it yet.  Have the magebreaker assault team leave.  Get two groups of people organized to rescue the wounded prisoners, each group with one machinegunner, and send them off.  Give each group one of the magic necklaces to help them stabilize someone who needs it.

As for personal orders, I'll be hanging back with the main group, along with Benedict.  If possible (assuming not too many people critically wounded, keep at least one crippled bug thing alive for examination.  (I want to know if it's a pure summon or a created animal species or transformed person or something else.)

Spoiler: Saeko Hirahara (click to show/hide)

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1811 on: August 03, 2019, 01:20:18 pm »

Hit the bugs near me with my pry bar while using my aluminum arm as another weapon
« Last Edit: August 03, 2019, 03:04:45 pm by Naturegirl1999 »

Devastator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1812 on: August 03, 2019, 02:59:14 pm »

(Also, ouch nature.  I'd be willing to pass on mana to get that fixed, if you want it turned into a working arm via Animate and Elkad is willing.  Or chop it off and grow you a new one via Ape.  Just let me know what you'd like to do, if anything.)

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1813 on: August 03, 2019, 03:04:10 pm »

(Also, ouch nature.  I'd be willing to pass on mana to get that fixed, if you want it turned into a working arm via Animate and Elkad is willing.  Or chop it off and grow you a new one via Ape.  Just let me know what you'd like to do, if anything.)
(I wonder if aluminum could work as a weapon?)

Devastator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1814 on: August 03, 2019, 04:31:29 pm »

(Don't see why not.)

(Although, if you do want an arm-weapon, you really probably want to improve your strength at your first opportunity.  Attacking with a d4 stat is an exercise in pain.)
Pages: 1 ... 119 120 [121] 122 123 ... 203