Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 130 131 [132] 133 134 ... 203

Author Topic: Cabal: Wizard Open World Game  (Read 338077 times)

syvarris

• Bay Watcher
  • UNICORNPEGASUSKITTEN
    • View Profile
Re: Cabal: Wizard Open World Game
« Reply #1965 on: October 10, 2019, 12:06:08 pm »

I was skipped ;-;

...Okay, awesome.  Land and look around a bit, basically just make sure the place is indeed safe, and if nothing starts shooting at us, invest 10 mana to increase Senses to d12+1.

Then, start exploring the wreckage, seeing what's intact.  In order of priority, Ekrov wants to find and study:

1. The remains of the ship's artificial mind.
2. The remains of the ship's power source, which Saeko retrieved that glowing pellet from.  Especially if there's more pellets, or any hints of how it was used to generate power--a simple steam turbine?
3.  Remains of any crew.  IIRC, the crew was itself mechanical?  Even a destroyed robot person would be of immense interest.
4. The remains of the craft's propulsion.  How did it fly?  A blimp?  Rotor blades?  Wings?  Something more magical?
5. Whatever intact clockwork tools and pieces can be scavenged.  I believe Saeko left behind some guns, and presumably quite a lot of ammo (:D) but anything that might be useful or valuable is of interest.  A fancy can opener would qualify, if it still works.

6. As a general question, what state is the craft in?  Is it just a big pile of destroyed junk, or more just crippled, with a largely intact structure?  Is there any chance it could be repaired?

Spoiler: O.o (click to show/hide)

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
  • Thank you TamerVirus for the avatar switcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1966 on: October 10, 2019, 12:09:07 pm »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Head towards the men and investigate. Are they dead or just sleeping?

Devastator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1967 on: October 10, 2019, 10:26:49 pm »

Examine myself physically trying to determine if I need immediate medical assistance.  Use a very weak View Ape spell, (d4) in an attempt to examine myself magically to make sure.  If nothing is found, just wash up and wait for tomorrow.

« Last Edit: October 11, 2019, 07:20:59 pm by Devastator »

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #1968 on: October 10, 2019, 10:44:34 pm »

I was skipped ;-;

...Okay, awesome.  Land and look around a bit, basically just make sure the place is indeed safe, and if nothing starts shooting at us, invest 10 mana to increase Senses to d12+1.

Then, start exploring the wreckage, seeing what's intact.  In order of priority, Ekrov wants to find and study:

1. The remains of the ship's artificial mind.
2. The remains of the ship's power source, which Saeko retrieved that glowing pellet from.  Especially if there's more pellets, or any hints of how it was used to generate power--a simple steam turbine?
3.  Remains of any crew.  IIRC, the crew was itself mechanical?  Even a destroyed robot person would be of immense interest.
4. The remains of the craft's propulsion.  How did it fly?  A blimp?  Rotor blades?  Wings?  Something more magical?
5. Whatever intact clockwork tools and pieces can be scavenged.  I believe Saeko left behind some guns, and presumably quite a lot of ammo (:D) but anything that might be useful or valuable is of interest.  A fancy can opener would qualify, if it still works.

6. As a general question, what state is the craft in?  Is it just a big pile of destroyed junk, or more just crippled, with a largely intact structure?  Is there any chance it could be repaired?

The place seems safe enough; or at least no one immediately begins shooting at you or throwing ninja stars or something similar when you land. You increase your senses.

[12+1][5+1v6]

You begin slowly ferreting around in the ship, climbing in through the hole in the side and exploring through the tight and utterly uncomfortable interior. You move some things outside when you can, if only so you don't have to examine them while bent over or crawling over jagged metal.

1. The artificial mind of the ship makes up a large part of it, from what you can see, as it is integrated directly into the mechanisms for aiming and firing the guns, as well as many of the other mechanisms. There is a sort of...core of the thing though. Its a long sort of cylindrical thing that stretches horizontally down most of the length of the ship and seems to be made of an untold number of small pieces that look as though they can slide over each other, link together, or otherwise interact. After a long period of inspection and testing you believe this is the core logic of the machine; essentially a complex series of "If...Then" statements encoded in brass, reacting to input from sensors.  Everything else built on and from it seems to be specific to different actions the machine needs to perform. 

In essence it is not intelligent, it is just a very complex automaton.

2. The power source is made of up small pellets releasing what you know as "Deathly Light"; a light that will sicken and kill those exposed. You know enough not to go sticking your face into their lead crucible. As per how its generating power...you're not really sure. Its not steam powered and the entire enclosure appears to have no moving parts...it just generates electricity, seemingly from nothing but the heat of the pellets

3. There are exactly two mechanical people in the ship, both in very bad shape, mostly crushed when the ship landed. You drag them outside and obsessively search out as many pieces as you can, laying them out in roughly the places you think they would go in a sort of exploded diagram near the damaged sections of the mechanical people. The people are seemingly more complex than the machine they tend, at least in terms of mechanics. Their brains are an absolute nightmare of gears and pieces, some as small as a grain of rice. One is intact, but the other has been mashed and spilled out.

4. It seems to have had a blimp as its main buoyancy and rotor blades as its propulsion.

5. There are some tools in the craft, seemingly to be used by the mechanical men. Most are pretty standard though some seem more specialized. There are indeed several guns and a great deal of ammo left, as well as some unexploded aerial bombs. A fair bit of the mechanisms of the machine could be scavenged, though not without necessarily sacrificing other things. This machine was clearly never designed to be taken apart- it was made to fight until it was unable to and then be discarded.

6. The craft is badly damaged; the bottom half is crushed and the balloon is torn and there is a lot of damage to the internal structures. You think there is a chance it could be repaired, but it would be a pretty big job. Luckily the power source, main calculator (Mechanical brain?), and the engines are intact. Its mostly the weapons systems and the hull itself that are really bad off.

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
  • Morals? Ethics? Conscience? HA!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1969 on: October 11, 2019, 02:17:41 am »

I assumed some days were taken up with finishing up various things, settling debts, etc. Time skip basically.

I’m afraid that wasn’t the correct assumption in this case. We actually just wanted to get things settled up asap and immediately leave, without resting in that place. If it were the case we had to rest before we could do more traveling, we’d have preferred to teleport away first and then rest.

When you attempt to convert the Biometal you get a bit of it in but as soon as you start breaking it down the stuff literally leaps out of the beaker and reconnects with the larger block. When you attempt to get it back in, it actively fights against you and slithers between your fingers.  It never attacks you, but it seems completely hell bent on not being  dissolved.  Stupid living metal.

Would getting a sturdy closed flask help with converting a little of it into mana, or is this just you informing us that this stuff isn't convertible into thaum?
Alternatively, would forming it into a combat shape and having Ecalir fight it be an acceptable way of farming mana for you?

Did you decide yet what the effect of doing a vivisection instead of a dissection in terms of words found, by the way? Lower difficulty? More words? Nothing?

Spoiler: Darwin Zeppeli (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: October 11, 2019, 02:22:26 am by Radio Controlled »

Einsteinian Roulette Wiki
Quote from: you know who you are
21:26   <XYZ>: I know nothing about this, but I have strong opinions about it.
Fucking hell, you guys are worse than the demons.

Hotfire90

« Reply #1970 on: October 11, 2019, 04:21:29 pm »

Fire my crossbow at one of its wings. Hang on tight and try to get a grip on its body, once it stops its maneuver head to my ax and reattach it before moving on to the head for some eye stabbing.
Spoiler: Robert Grant (click to show/hide)

syvarris

• Bay Watcher
  • UNICORNPEGASUSKITTEN
    • View Profile
« Reply #1971 on: October 13, 2019, 12:18:23 am »

Ekrov lets out a small animalistic whine while he looks over the crashsite, having finally finished taking stock of what remains.  "I could spend a year here, studying this... no, years!  And I only have seven days?"

He covers his face with his hands, groaning.

Oh dearie, this stokes my tinkery urges something fierce.  I'm not sure I can restrain myself.  If at any point I get too boldtexty, or start draining your lifeforce, feel free to just stop and say so.  I'm honestly expecting to leave this wreck with most of my questions unanswered, so if this gets too bad for you we'll just say that Ekrov ran out of time and had to give up on stuff.

I'm going to regret this, but spend ten mana improving knowledge to d12+1.

Deconstruct the remains of the clockwork robot with the broken brain, slowly and methodically.  Every step of the way, draw the workings of the parts, with an eye towards being able to put them back together.  There's two reasons for this: Getting a partial blueprint and parts that can possibly help in repairing the other robot, and simply understanding clockwork mechanics better IC.

Once that is complete, look over the robot with the intact brain, and try to figure out why the robot is nonfunctional, if its brain is intact.  Ideally, I want to use parts from the deconstructed robot to repair this one to at least partial functionality.  If that seems to be possible, first disable or disconnect the robot's arms and legs (or whatever limbs it has) if that is possibly without irreversibly damaging them, and then try to repair it.  If it doesn't seem to be possible to repair the robot, don't deconstruct it at all, and just try to ascertain why it's nonfunctional, without damaging it.

UNRELATEDLY, how does alchemizing things into thaum work?  Does it require directly handling the materials that are being alchemized, or is it more of a "jam thing in jar, then it melts into thaum" deal?  I ask specifically because I want to try alchemizing some of those power pellets death rocks power pellets, preferably without lethally irradiating Ekrov.

Pancaek

• Bay Watcher
  • Real stupidity beats artificial intelligence
    • View Profile
« Reply #1972 on: October 13, 2019, 03:45:25 pm »

Stick with Darwin while he thinks things over, keep on whistling and posing.

Spoiler:  Écalir Speedwagon (click to show/hide)

Lenglon

• Bay Watcher
  • Everyone cries, the question is what follows it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1973 on: October 13, 2019, 06:50:09 pm »

Are there any Materials they're willing to teach me? and do they want me to teach another invoker the material for Sound? Am ready, just trying to use the wait time productively.

Spoiler: Nina (click to show/hide)
((I don't think heating something that is right above us to a ridiculous degree is very smart. Worst case scenario we become +metal statues+. This is a finely crafted metal statue. It is encrusted with sharkmist and HMRC. On the item is an image of HMRC and Pancaek. Pancaek is laughing. The HMRC is melting. The artwork relates to the encasing of the HMRC in metal by Pancaek during the Mission of Many People.))

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #1974 on: October 14, 2019, 12:12:18 pm »

I assumed some days were taken up with finishing up various things, settling debts, etc. Time skip basically.

I’m afraid that wasn’t the correct assumption in this case. We actually just wanted to get things settled up asap and immediately leave, without resting in that place. If it were the case we had to rest before we could do more traveling, we’d have preferred to teleport away first and then rest.

When you attempt to convert the Biometal you get a bit of it in but as soon as you start breaking it down the stuff literally leaps out of the beaker and reconnects with the larger block. When you attempt to get it back in, it actively fights against you and slithers between your fingers.  It never attacks you, but it seems completely hell bent on not being  dissolved.  Stupid living metal.

Would getting a sturdy closed flask help with converting a little of it into mana, or is this just you informing us that this stuff isn't convertible into thaum?
Alternatively, would forming it into a combat shape and having Ecalir fight it be an acceptable way of farming mana for you?

Did you decide yet what the effect of doing a vivisection instead of a dissection in terms of words found, by the way? Lower difficulty? More words? Nothing?

Spoiler: Darwin Zeppeli (click to show/hide)
Sorry about that, I kind of just time skipped everyone together.

If you were to lock it in a sufficiently robust vessel you could convert it. Its not unable to be converted, but it is alive and will resist being destroyed in the same way that if you threw a live chicken in a frying pan it wouldn't just sit there. Fighting with it is a reasonable way to gain mana, sure.  Though to really gain the most it would have to be a real dangerous fight, not a spar.

Ok so the way I generate words for thing is that I grab all the words I think would be reasonable to get from the dissection and I throw in some "NONE" and then I randomize the list and take the first X results. I would say that for a vivisection I would probably throw in less Nones and increase the size of the X I'm pulling from. In other words, higher chance of getting words, and higher chance of getting more words. The variety of words however, wouldn't be effected.

Stick with Darwin while he thinks things over, keep on whistling and posing.

Spoiler:  Écalir Speedwagon (click to show/hide)
You thought it was a turn you'd see here? But no! It was me! Youtube link!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CJnsWdOZ5t4

Are there any Materials they're willing to teach me? and do they want me to teach another invoker the material for Sound? Am ready, just trying to use the wait time productively.

Invoker huh, lets see what they have....well turns out fate favors the talkative.

Electricity
Mammal
Gas
Ape
Accelerate
Demonic
Strong acid
Concrete
Volatile
Drug

Take your pick of one.

Head towards the men and investigate. Are they dead or just sleeping?

Hmmm

You walk over to the men and look at them. Definitely dead and dead for a good while. Days? Maybe a week? Checking both, it appears that they killed each other.
[4v4]
You reconstruct the scene in your head as best you can using the remaining clues. A duel maybe, One man is dead on his back, facing north, the other is laying face down, also facing north, as though he was walking away when he died. You Check the wounds. Gunshots. Man on his back has a shot straight to the head, other one to the chest. Heart shot maybe?  There's a very eroded trail of blood showing the man walked a few feet before he went down. You check the bodies. No guns, no money, nothing of value. Hmmm.

Examine myself physically trying to determine if I need immediate medical assistance.  Use a very weak View Ape spell, (d4) in an attempt to examine myself magically to make sure.  If nothing is found, just wash up and wait for tomorrow.

You check yourself (after you rekt'd yourself). You're not bleeding out or on fire or anything like that. You're certainly sore and bleeding a bit from the burns but nothing horrible or at least not life threatening.
[4+1v4] -4 mana
You use a quick spell and double check that you're not bleeding internally or infected with some sort of horrible disease or filled with magical parasites or shrapnel or whatever. It reveals that you are banged up but not truely injured in a debilitating way.

So you pat out any smoldering embers on your skin, wrap the burn in gauze and bandages, and then go to bed. You wake up the next morning feeling oddly worse but at least not tired.

Fire my crossbow at one of its wings. Hang on tight and try to get a grip on its body, once it stops its maneuver head to my ax and reattach it before moving on to the head for some eye stabbing.
[3v4]
You fire your crossbow one handed and the bolt goes wide, somehow missing the enormous bulk of the wing. You suppose the crosswind didn't help.
[8+1 v 7]
You get a grip on the rubbery flesh and yank yourself back into a better spot, clinging there until you see an opening.
[4v8]
You run for the head and suddenly you find yourself in open air, feet running on nothing. The Ray is diving and you are freefalling behind it for a few moments. Then it pulls up and you fly forward, past its head. You find yourself dangling around in front of its face, near the great sucking maw. The ax shifts and pulls free as your weight settles on it in the wrong direction.
[5+1v4]
You reach out and grab hold of one of the ray's thin mouth feelers, holding on with both hands to stop yourself from falling. There is no safety line anymore, in fact that line is now dangling below you, the added weight of the ax only making this more difficult.

Ekrov lets out a small animalistic whine while he looks over the crashsite, having finally finished taking stock of what remains.  "I could spend a year here, studying this... no, years!  And I only have seven days?"

He covers his face with his hands, groaning.

Oh dearie, this stokes my tinkery urges something fierce.  I'm not sure I can restrain myself.  If at any point I get too boldtexty, or start draining your lifeforce, feel free to just stop and say so.  I'm honestly expecting to leave this wreck with most of my questions unanswered, so if this gets too bad for you we'll just say that Ekrov ran out of time and had to give up on stuff.

I'm going to regret this, but spend ten mana improving knowledge to d12+1.

Deconstruct the remains of the clockwork robot with the broken brain, slowly and methodically.  Every step of the way, draw the workings of the parts, with an eye towards being able to put them back together.  There's two reasons for this: Getting a partial blueprint and parts that can possibly help in repairing the other robot, and simply understanding clockwork mechanics better IC.

Once that is complete, look over the robot with the intact brain, and try to figure out why the robot is nonfunctional, if its brain is intact.  Ideally, I want to use parts from the deconstructed robot to repair this one to at least partial functionality.  If that seems to be possible, first disable or disconnect the robot's arms and legs (or whatever limbs it has) if that is possibly without irreversibly damaging them, and then try to repair it.  If it doesn't seem to be possible to repair the robot, don't deconstruct it at all, and just try to ascertain why it's nonfunctional, without damaging it.

UNRELATEDLY, how does alchemizing things into thaum work?  Does it require directly handling the materials that are being alchemized, or is it more of a "jam thing in jar, then it melts into thaum" deal?  I ask specifically because I want to try alchemizing some of those power pellets death rocks power pellets, preferably without lethally irradiating Ekrov.

Stat increase done.

This process of deconstructing and drawing I'll say won't require a roll, but will take a whole day in order to do it well.  We'll assume you do so.

[12+1 v 6]
You very carefully look over the other robot and attempt to understand why it isn't functional. These things, despite their massive complexity, are driven by a spring. Albiet a kind of spring you've never seen the likes of. Its a spiral torsion spring, not really that different from the springs that are used to power watches, at least in theory. But this one is...absurd. The metal itself is paper thin, maybe even thinner, and its wrapped maybe thousands of times around itself, so tight that no seams or spaces are visible throughout most of the coil. The amount of mechanical energy stored in the thing is so great that if it were to break free of its housing it would probably kill everyone in a wide radius as coils of razor sharp metal sprung out in all directions at super sonic speeds. Luckily for you, the spring "Core" is a seemingly seperate device that is simply slotted into the bots and can be removed easily. Neither of these bots has had their spring cores destroyed but the bot your working on has had a lot of the mechanical pieces that connect to the core damaged.  You sort through the pieces of the other bot, cross referencing your notes.

You select the pieces you need and set them to the side. You think you have about...70% of the pieces you'd need to get this bot back to bare minimum functioning, at least in the chest and head. You consider that you might be able to substitute parts for all or at least a good chunk of that remaining 30%, but it wouldn't be perfect. Everything in this machine is highly specialized so switching gears or pieces requires a very precise match to even somewhat work.  You don't try it, at least not for the moment.

More the second thing. You could remove them and place them in a container and then have the reaction happen while you are distant to it. You might have to go in and make adjustments every now and again but its not a "hands on" process the whole way.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • Perhaps I'll
    • View Profile
« Reply #1975 on: October 14, 2019, 12:32:19 pm »

Retcon that to be complete resistance to some specific quickly-deadly toxic gas. Take your favorite or something. If I pick this it's going to end up being something dumb and ineffectual, because I have a -1 to my chemistry skill.

Then, get on with it. Repeat getting on with it as many times as necessary.

Spoiler: Zavi (click to show/hide)
Down at the bottom of the ocean. Beneath tons of brine which would crush you down. Not into broken and splintered flesh, but into thin soup. Into just more of the sea water. Where things live that aren't so different from you, but you will never live to touch them and they will never live to touch you.

Hotfire90

« Reply #1976 on: October 14, 2019, 01:02:52 pm »

Get myself into a resting position by any means necessary, even if that includes climbing into its mouth. Once I'm in a safe resting position, pull up the rope, retrieve the ax and get it stuck inside the Ray's mouth.
Should I fall with no way to catch myself, shrink myself down to a size that would allow me to survive the fall.

Lenglon

• Bay Watcher
  • Everyone cries, the question is what follows it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1977 on: October 14, 2019, 07:23:47 pm »

Accelerate I choose you!

((I don't think heating something that is right above us to a ridiculous degree is very smart. Worst case scenario we become +metal statues+. This is a finely crafted metal statue. It is encrusted with sharkmist and HMRC. On the item is an image of HMRC and Pancaek. Pancaek is laughing. The HMRC is melting. The artwork relates to the encasing of the HMRC in metal by Pancaek during the Mission of Many People.))

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
  • Thank you TamerVirus for the avatar switcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1978 on: October 14, 2019, 08:04:39 pm »

head north

Devastator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1979 on: October 15, 2019, 12:26:10 am »

Damn.  I hope I'm not going to suffer from two weeks of feeling increasingly awful.  I could die, or end up badly crippled.  I'll take action if this continues through tomorrow.

See if I can find someone to haul my goods up to the capital for sale.  Bring the steel ingots and the black cloth-like metal today.  Sell the steel ingots, and attempt to identify the black cloth stuff.. maybe someone knows what it is.

Also, see if there's an auction house in the capital, and find someone to approach about selling one of the machine guns.

« Last Edit: October 15, 2019, 09:31:01 pm by Devastator »
Pages: 1 ... 130 131 [132] 133 134 ... 203